• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shows that you binged watched, but didn't feel worth it on hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
24. My wife and I binge-watched probably the first four seasons about a decade ago (before we had kids and could spend all weekend doing shit like this), and I don't really know why because I felt like the show quickly became far too formulaic and comical, and it was utterly padded out when it would have been much better on a 12 hour format and more focus.

We also did the same with House, but we only got a couple of seasons into that before I lost interest. Hugh Laurie is terrific, but the show itself is so incredibly samey, and we knew that if he made a diagnosis before about minute 33 of each episode that it would be wrong and something unexpected would crop up before he had his revelation and we would get the proper diagnosis.

Peltz

Dextor.

The first 2 seasons were fantastic... but then my goodness... what a terrible soap opera that show turns into.

Nikodemos

Battlestar Galactica. The last third (from the 2nd half of season 3 onwards) retroactively worsens the rest of the show. In fact, it's pretty much the only TV show I haven't rewatched.

Arrow. When I ran out of Gotham episodes I began watching Flash, and when the same thing happened, I had at least three full seasons worth of methadone to hold on.

I binge watched them, but I don't exactly feel proud of it, to the point where I consider if it is worth watching the fourth one. It really pisses me off having to watch this to know what happens in Flash.

To be honest, I'm far more prone to binge watch 20-25 minutes format series. The fifth and sixth Archer season I did not even know why I kept watching, and Psycho-Pass... I tend to forget I have watched it.

being honest I think that the reason why people like JJ is because it stars a woman, I regret it and the Season 2 money should've went to Moon Knight

SorchaR

Hemlock Grove

That was a mistake.

This. I watched the whole first season, out of some morbid fascination. It was terrible. I even had enough Stockholm syndrome to watch episode one of the second season, but then I snapped out of it, thank goodness.
What a terrible, terrible show!

Catvoca

Banned
The How I met Your Mother hate in here is killing me. You all have terrible taste!

As for the OP, I binged the last few seasons of Entourage and boy were they terrible. I really don't know why I didn't stop but there's something addictive about the show even when it's really bad.

Joni

Arrow. When I ran out of Gotham episodes I began watching Flash, and when the same thing happened, I had at least full three seasons of worth of methadone to hold one.

I binge watched them, but I don't exactly feel proud of it, to the point where I consider if it is worth watching the third one. It really pisses me off having to watch this to know what happens in Flash.

If you are feeling that after season 2, then no. As for the cross-overs, you can either watch those episodes at one per year, but they really don't matter that much in the bigger picture. You'll be easily able to understand everything.

If you are feeling that after season 2, then no. As for the cross-overs, you can either watch those episodes at one per year, but they really don't matter that much in the bigger picture. You'll be easily able to understand everything.

Damn mistakes. I watched the whole three seasons and that's why I'm having doubts about watching the fourth one. It's like literally
everybody and their aun have a bow and arrows by the last episode.

Joni

Damn mistakes. I watched the whole three seasons and that's why I'm having doubts about watching the fourth one. It's like literally
everybody and their aun have a bow and arrows by the last episode.

If that is your problem, season 4 won't change your mind. It is a less ambitious, more by the numbers season that is about the same end level as 3. Quite consistent throughout the season, except the cross-over which was less this year and two-three very cliche moments.

bjaelke

The Blacklist.

Desperate for something akin to Person of Interest (still looking for something to clench that thirst) and that did nothing at all. Writing was a big mess.

Jericho
Surface (thought it would just be a mini series but it ended on a cliffhanger with no real ending)
Lost

It sucks because most TV genres I'm just not into, like crime dramas and sitcoms. I feel like there's hardly anything out there for me.

Apt101

Another Jessica Jones victim here. That show is objectively boring, and Krysten Ritter is horrible at drama. Loved her in Don't Trust the B' though.

Chef's Table on Netflix. Ugh. Do yourself a favor and never even bother.

Chicago Med for like 10 episodes. It felt like a lazy vehicle meant to steer viewers towards the other "Chicago" TV shows, all of which are terrible.

Jericho
Surface (thought it would just be a mini series but it ended on a cliffhanger with no real ending)
Lost

It sucks because most TV genres I'm just not into, like crime dramas and sitcoms. I feel like there's hardly anything out there for me.

Leighton Meester in a bathing suit though.

If that is your problem, season 4 won't change your mind. It is a less ambitious, more by the numbers season that is about the same end level as 3. Quite consistent throughout the season, except the cross-over which was less this year and two-three very cliche moments.

Most probably skipping it until the day I am incredibly bored or drunk. It's easy to watch, but overall I feel like I have wasted my time. I can't believe they even made a miniseries with all the "guest heroes".

Heh, holy shit OP. Was gonna post the exact same thing as you when I saw the title. I dunno, some friends dragged me into it and I found it entertaining but past a certain point I just felt like the writers were chasing their own tail.

kris.

Banned
as others have said, How I Met Your Mother. all of that buildup to the shit final season/ending we got? nah son. fuck that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Flash.

I made it to around 10 episodes into season 2 and realized that it was a teen drama disguised as a super hero show and couldn't continue.

Three seasons of Hell on Wheels. Not sure that I've seen any other show with so uneven quality, with one great and one terrible main character.

as others have said, How I Met Your Mother. all of that buildup to the shit final season/ending we got? nah son. fuck that.

The last episode was meh, but it was still worth it, with so many great episodes on the way to it.

Beth Cyra

The 100 Season1/2.

The only character I enjoyed was Lexa and unlike many of her fans she wasn't worth putting up with Clarke/Bellamy/Raven.

ZombieLPK

Arrested Development season 4. I love the show but going from the first 3 seasons directly into season 4 really highlighted how worse off the show was as a result of the format changes made to accommodate the actors schedules. I don't think the writing or storylines were particularly bad (however closer to season 3 quality than 1 & 2), but for me it fell flat without the entire ensemble and the out of order stuff.

Nola

Supernatural. I *LOVE* Tahmoh Penikett, so I watched 172 episodes of Supernatural just to see him on it. Started from the beginning because I'm a completionist and must watch shows from the pilot. Then
his character possesses another character so he's barely even in the show for the rest of the season!

Fury451

Banned
Oh dear. This post is going to be rather controversial.

I agree, and True Detective is also my pick. Binged it in a weekend. Some truly great performances and visual shots in the show, but I didn't "get" it. I tried to convince myself that I would, but it never became more than a middling and somewhat aimless crime show with some unusually good acting.

Jay Sosa

Attack on Titan.

I kept watching, telling my self there has to happen something..sometimes, right? Nope.

I agree, and True Detective is also my pick. Binged it in a weekend. Some truly great performances and visual shots in the show, but I didn't "get" it. I tried to convince myself that I would, but it never became more than a middling and somewhat aimless crime show with some unusually good acting.

Oh man I totally agree, plus the ending was so goddamn unsatisfying. All this amazing build up..and then nothing..shows over and I'm like that's it?

I wouldn't say it wasn't worth it but it certainly was somewhat of a letdown. I actually thought the second season would pick up where the first ended.

Fuchsdh

We also did the same with House, but we only got a couple of seasons into that before I lost interest. Hugh Laurie is terrific, but the show itself is so incredibly samey, and we knew that if he made a diagnosis before about minute 33 of each episode that it would be wrong and something unexpected would crop up before he had his revelation and we would get the proper diagnosis.

To be fair to House, it's an episodic show, not really meant to be binge-watched (even though yeah, it got samey and I gave up on it after they showed they were completely uninterested in changing the status quo no matter how heightened the stakes became). I have the same feeling if I watch too many episodes of Star Trek as well—you start focusing on the structure rather than the content.

idlewild_

I watched a couple seasons of HTGAWM over the course of a few weeks and thought it was pretty decent; I binge watched the first season of Scandal since it was also from Shonda Rhimes. The two shows were pretty similar in content and tone but I really disliked Scandal. The behavior of the main characters in Scandal annoyed me enough that I stopped watching it altogether after trudging through the second season.

Nola

I watched a couple seasons of HTGAWM over the course of a few weeks and thought it was pretty decent; I binge watched the first season of Scandal since it was also from Shonda Rhimes. The two shows were pretty similar in content and tone but I really disliked Scandal. The behavior of the main characters in Scandal annoyed me enough that I stopped watching it altogether after trudging through the second season.

I really loved the first season of Scandal, but since then I have slowly started to lose interest in the show. It feels like every season is practically the same back and forth issues. Also I'm pretty tired of the long, impassioned monologues delivered almost every episode. :p

ironmang

HIMYM for sure. Barney couldn't carry the show forever and eventually I just half watched it while doing other things. I really don't have the patience to watch 100+ episodes of any show anymore, especially one that's pretty mediocre. Heck, I'm pretty much giving up halfway through Daredevil S2 despite loving the character and the comics because it's just so boring.

ubique

Daredevil S1 is probably the worst season of TV I've ever watched
Hannibal S2 and S3
House of Cards
Battlestar Galactica

Permanently A

Twin Peaks totally fell apart midway through season 2, couldn't keep watching. Season 1 was damn good though.

I recently watched the show Reaper that was on the CW, about the guy who finds out his parents sold his soul to the devil at birth and now he has to be Satan's bounty hunter. It had its moments but ended before it could really get closure.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The premise of this thread doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I binge watch anything is that I like it so much that I can't wait to see what's next.

Permanently A

The premise of this thread doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I binge watch anything is that I like it so much that I can't wait to see what's next.

Well, I watched all of True Detective over a weekend, because I thought the mystery would be interesting and bear fruit. But it turned out not to really be that kind of show.

theecakee

Sword Art Online.

I loved the first part
when they were in SAO not the fairy thing
, the second half of the first part got a little weird and annoyingly sexist
Asuna and Kirito got married, Asuna turned into some helpless female house wife stereotype. Then Yui came in and started calling them mommy and daddy, which was bizzare.
By second part I couldn't get passed the first few episodes.
I heard some incest gets involved with his sister and I'm surprised.

It started so strong...but then got weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom