• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Colony Kickstarter misses its $50,000 goal by $28 dollars.

Karak

Real-time. It actually drops at the end instead of increasing as some people cannot pay up.

Correct indeed! And since actual Kickstarter members can't add to their own project, when you are that close it can happen. I have seen a couple P&P games succeed but less than 100 as well.

wrowa

I am under the impression this particular Kickstarter was already a relaunch.

Also, Kickstarter isn't a charity. I wasn't sold on this project, based on the Kickstarter presentation, and thus didn't back it. There's no reason a failed Kickstarter should be considered news or discussed on forums like this one. Kickstarters fail all the time. Now it's back to the drawing board for Dreamquest Games. Let's see if they do a better job of it next time.

Failed Kickstarters happen all the time, that's true. However, it is all but common that a Kickstarter misses its goal by 0.0005%. This is not as much a problem of a mediocre or not satisfying project as it is bad luck. Saying "Go back to the drawing board" makes sense when a Kickstarter fails to pick up at all, but not when you were just 28$ apart from hitting your goal.

Edit: It's interesting to see that they've lost half of their initial pledges the second time around. Not as surprising as that they are asking for just 10% of the initial funding goal, though! What did they change to reduce costs so much? Looks a little shaddy, side by side.

Boerseun

Banned
Failed Kickstarters happen all the time, that's true. However, it is all but common that a Kickstarter misses its goal by 0.0005%. This is not as much a problem of a mediocre or not satisfying project as it is bad luck. Saying "Go back to the drawing board" makes sense when a Kickstarter fails to pick up at all, but not when you were just 28$ apart from hitting your goal.

A Kickstarter either makes its goal or doesn't. The amount by which the goal is missed is completely inconsequential. Their actual Kickstarter presentation was poor, in my opinion. That is what I meant by my "back to the drawing board" comment. It's not so much the game that needs to be rethought, rather it's how they go about selling the game to Kickstarter supporters.

Slightly off-topic: Kickstarter presentations should be straight and simple. Here's an example of a good one. Not too much information, not too little. Everything is neatly packaged in easily digestible tidbits. Examples of art and music included. And the interesting hook of a custom handheld gaming machine on which to play your game (which is something I've never seen on Kickstarter before).

ultron87

I find it interesting that people can cancel pledges in the last hours. Kickstarter has a rule about not being able to cancel in the last 24 hours if that would bring the project below its funding goal, but it seems that there is nothing that prevents people from noodling around if the project hasn't reached its goal yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So here's the twist: the dev is glad the funding failed, as it would have barely covered any costs:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ony_Kickstarter_misses_funding_goal_by_28.php

Some bits:

However, talking to Gamasutra, Williamson provided his thoughts on how the Kickstarter ended, noting that his team is actually relieved that it failed.

"Although many consider this a failure and unfair, in the end, it is perhaps the kindest thing the Universe could have done for us," he said. "To be committed to deliver my dream game underfunded, understaffed, and sub-par, and to lose even more time and money would have been even more heartbreaking."

He noted that if it had been successful, he would have ended up losing far more money as a result of the low funding target. "[$50,000] may seem like a lot of money to many," he added, "but by the time I pay 3D artists, animators, designers, and programmers, issue figurines, prints, T-shirts, shipping, etc. there will be nothing left for me and my team and we would end up with a game far short of what I had envisioned building."

"That is why I put the original game up for $500k -- because that was what I felt it would take to do it right and not lose money. We scaled it way back and added stretch goals to $300k on the second Kickstarter in the hopes that we could at least achieve the same $100k level we got before."

So here's the twist: the dev is glad the funding failed, as it would have barely covered any costs:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ony_Kickstarter_misses_funding_goal_by_28.php

Some bits:

This, right here, is something no very few Kickstarting dev puts into account. All the "items" they provide that is not the actual product is a waste of time, money and management. Indie developers who have experience is making software have no experience in distribution. They have no experience in getting shirts printed or shipped or making boxarts or posters or whatnot. People praise how much money 'Double Fine Adventure' project made but they don't realize that they spend so much money in posters, documentary production, T-shirts, and many many more they delivered or promised to deliver.

For future sake, get the calculation right, know how much it'll be, set certain items as "Limited" to pull in impulse buyers and collectors, and make sure you have enough money to make and distribute the software without begging people over at Steam Greenlight to vote. "Minimum goal" means Minimum that you need to complete the entire game with all the distributions. A lot of them assume that they will meet minimum and people are just tossing money left and right, and that stretch goals are where they decide how much they'll need for the game.

epmode

That might have happened here.

They supposedly have protections in place so that once a project meets its funding goal, the site will not allow it to fail. If someone's cancellation will bring the project below the funding goal, the cancellation won't be allowed.

edit: I know I read this a few days ago but I can't find proof yet.

ultron87

They supposedly have protections in place so that once a project meets its funding goal, the site will not allow it to fail. If someone's cancellation will bring the project below the funding goal, the cancellation won't be allowed.

edit: I know I read this a few days ago but I can't find proof yet.

It is in their terms of service:

Backers may increase, decrease, or cancel their pledge at any time during the fundraising campaign, except that they may not cancel or reduce their pledge if the campaign is in its final 24 hours and the cancellation or reduction would drop the campaign below its goal.

LQX

Wow, so not one of those dudes thought to call up a friend of family member just to put them over the goal?

For all the people that are saying that they should have just asked somebody to donate the difference:

I am going to assume that the pledge total fluctuates a lot in the final hours and they could not predict where the final goal would end up to be. If there final amount was like this for some time they probably would have made somebody donate extra, but it is unpredictable for everybody involved.

Hindsight is 50/50

Also, Kickstarter are not dicks for not letting the project continue. It does not make sense to allow project to continue if they are 1% away from the limit, because you got the same scenario with projects that would end up with 1.01% away from the limit. You have got to draw the line.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They'll do another one, and will probably get funded this time. All of this will boost their publicity, they'll be 'the kickstarter that missed out by $28 is BACK' etc. etc.

Boerseun

Banned
This, right here, is something no very few Kickstarting dev puts into account. All the "items" they provide that is not the actual product is a waste of time, money and management. Indie developers who have experience is making software have no experience in distribution. They have no experience in getting shirts printed or shipped or making boxarts or posters or whatnot. People praise how much money 'Double Fine Adventure' project made but they don't realize that they spend so much money in posters, documentary production, T-shirts, and many many more they delivered or promised to deliver.

For future sake, get the calculation right, know how much it'll be, set certain items as "Limited" to pull in impulse buyers and collectors, and make sure you have enough money to make and distribute the software without begging people over at Steam Greenlight to vote. "Minimum goal" means Minimum that you need to complete the entire game with all the distributions. A lot of them assume that they will meet minimum and people are just tossing money left and right, and that stretch goals are where they decide how much they'll need for the game.

Good post. The Banner Saga is a good example of what you're talking about. The game looks amazing, and I'll buy it when/if it comes out. But producing, packaging and distributing all of those bonuses is going to be a major headache. And I don't believe they have enough funds to outsource that sort of thing to a third-party.

Also, Kickstarter are not dicks for not letting the project continue. It does not make sense to allow project to continue if they are 1% away from the limit, because you got the same scenario with projects that would end up with 1.01% away from the limit. You have got to draw the line.

+1

Good post. The Banner Saga is a good example of what you're talking about. The game looks amazing, and I'll buy it when/if it comes out. But producing, packaging and distributing all of those bonuses is going to be a major headache. And I don't believe they have enough funds to outsource that sort of thing to a third-party.

Agreed. One thing good about The Banner Saga is that it's one of the few Kickstarted games to have actually release a beta, so I guess they are progressing somewhere.

ultron87

I feel like most indie type developers would be benefited by not offering any physical rewards. Or at least by limiting physical rewards to really high pledge levels.

Boerseun

Banned
I feel like most indie type developers would be benefited by not offering any physical rewards. Or at least by limiting physical rewards to really high pledge levels.

I totally agree with you. I worked on three indie projects and am interested in putting together a small team and running a Kickstarter in 2014. It is my aim to do exactly as you suggest, which is to reserve physical bonuses for the really high levels and to do everything else digital-only.

Having said that, I prefer physical items as rewards, and would love to hand these out to contributors. But that would leave me with only one option regarding backing, which would be to work the cost into the Kickstarter goal. And that is money I would rather spend on development.

It's worth noting that Peter Molyneux feels the same. Check out his Project GODUS. He's a multi-millionaire and could surely afford physical rewards for the lower levels but instead has them reserved for the $1600 and up crowd. Sound financial thinking, I reckon, even if it would not necessarily be my preferred way of doing things.

injurai

Banned
It has happened since Kickstarter is a "promise" of paying the money when pledge ends, and it doesn't charge directly like Paypal donations would. I can "promise" $1 million to a pledge and the project will still fail to be successful as I don't have that kinda money lol.

Ya, I remember watching my account closely during that so I could successfully fund Project Eternity.

Frogacuda

Banned
This is totally unprecedented. Usually if you can make it to 75%, you're golden. Although that only applies to projects with a couple thousand backers, which this didn't.

I admit, though, I had no fucking idea they had re-launched this. If I had, they might not have missed it.

Kusagari

I wouldn't be surprised if they had people they know, who had pledged, remove the pledge when it got so close to the end.

It's obvious they wanted it to fail at all costs from that interview.

What a bunch of cunts. I like how after failing he says a big hail Mary thanking the benevolent universe for killing his project.

IF YOUR GAME IS GOING TO BE SHIT WITH THE FUNDING GOAL YOU SET, YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE KICKSTARTER YOURSELF.

this is why I will never, EVER support kickstarter, no accountability whatsoever.

Frogacuda

Banned

Well it's not that these incentives are a waste of time, because they're important for motivating higher pledges, but a lot of times people don't really factor in the cost/reward very well, which is a problem.

Project Fedora did it right. There was not one physical reward below the $75 level, but there were a bunch of interesting digital/downloadable rewards. Digital rewards obviously have no "per unit" cost, so they're great for the lower tiers, which have the highest numbers of pledges. That means they only have to make T-shirts and what-not for $75 and ups, which was like 25% of their campaign (and for most campaigns that percentage is below 10%, but PF managed a lot of big pledges). They kept their rewards fullfillment costs down to like $50,000 out of the $600,000 they raised.

blackflag

This is ridiculous. Aren't they the ones that set the goal? Yet they are glad it failed because goal was too low? Is this reality?

Zoe

They'll do another one, and will probably get funded this time. All of this will boost their publicity, they'll be 'the kickstarter that missed out by $28 is BACK' etc. etc.

I dunno, they didn't even make it to half of their first attempt.

Frogacuda

Banned
Man, everyone's gotta spin shit like this. I wouldn't read too much into that.

It's a shame this isn't getting made, it actually looked really good, but they didn't get the word out. It's becoming increasingly clear that this is a bad time to launch a Kickstarter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What a bunch of cunts. I like how after failing he says a big hail Mary thanking the benevolent universe for killing his project.

IF YOUR GAME IS GOING TO BE SHIT WITH THE FUNDING GOAL YOU SET, YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE KICKSTARTER YOURSELF.

this is why I will never, EVER support kickstarter, no accountability whatsoever.

There's no accountability in life except for the trust system, or if you plan to sue someone to enforce your rights. Pledgers had all the information they needed to understand that this was a scaled back, reduced vision of the game--they had already launched a KS before with a much higher funding goal. Context is key. I didn't pledge to this game because it didn't interest me, it looked too early to meet the deadline, the dev's experience did not have any connection to the game they were pitching, and the cost was too high. In the mean time, your no compromises attitude ensures that you will miss out on some projects you might otherwise have liked.

Who has scammed me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, first, I can't believe I missed the fact that it relaunched... and second, I can't believe that it missed its goal by 28 dollars. Jeez.

btrboyev

How does it miss the goal by that much? I mean couldnt one of the creators spare the $28 to make sure the fund was committed?

FStop7

Banned

Yeah, setting a goal that doesn't actually meet your needs? That's a shitty thing to do to those who backed the project. Sounds like the backers dodged a bullet.

Top Bottom