• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Tomita

just learned that Oliver being Mayor of Star City was totally a actual comic thing and not just something the show runners pulled out of their asses. It was such a ridiculous idea that I assumed they made it up.

huh, maybe I should give them more credit

At least I can see comic!Oliver doing that more so than show!Oliver. Mind, I don't watch the show anymore, and only know of this mayor plot-point cause I watched this one Arrow episode just for the Constantine cameo...
it wasn't worth it
and I can't imagine grim-dark I'M BATMAN ARROW Oliver doing that.

I wish the tv show could actually be about Green Arrow... At least Flash manages to be awesome.

Hmmmmmmmmm I can get the 52 series for $26. That is insaaaanely tempting.

You should do this.

Strange to recommend it when I didn't finish it, but being familiar with your preferences, I'm pretty sure you'll dig it.

I recognize its quality, it just wasn't for me. I only was only really into Montoya's story.

VanWinkle

You should do this.

Strange to recommend it when I didn't finish it, but being familiar with your preferences, I'm pretty sure you'll dig it.

I recognize its quality, it just wasn't for me. I only was only really into Montoya's story.

Oh, Renee Montoya from Gotham Central is in it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
At least I can see comic!Oliver doing that more so than show!Oliver. Mind, I don't watch the show anymore, and only know of this mayor plot-point cause I watched this one Arrow episode just for the Constantine cameo...
it wasn't worth it
and I can't imagine grim-dark I'M BATMAN ARROW Oliver doing that.

I wish the tv show could actually be about Green Arrow... At least Flash manages to be awesome.

hes not that grimdark anymore these days, he's mellowed out. Actually calls himself GREEN arrow and everything now

Bii

I should really start the Flash TV show. I did watch the first few episodes of Green Arrow and it bored me. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

While I was Netflix and chilling at home today, I started up the first episode of Gotham and thought that was darn good, especially for a first episode.

Red Lanterns Vol. 1: Blood and Rage

Book is very interesting. Surprisingly dialogue heavy, with a lot of politics involved. I love Atrocitus. Has a lot of depth to him, and is an all around badass.

Plus blood magic and other demonic shit is just fucking cool compared to the super sci-fi, Jedi type stuff that I get from the GL books.
just learned that Oliver being Mayor of Star City was totally a actual comic thing and not just something the show runners pulled out of their asses. It was such a ridiculous idea that I assumed they made it up.

huh, maybe I should give them more credit
I know right?
hes not that grimdark anymore these days, he's mellowed out. Actually calls himself GREEN arrow and everything now

S4 honestly might be better than S2. I'm not even joking.

What's on the list?

oh too much. A lot of this is me finalizing my digital wish list of series i loved that want in digital form. The other part is getting a lot of classic DC comics i haven't read since DC wasn't great about collecting early work

Some highlights:
PAD Aquaman
All Birds of Prey
Starman
Top 10
Promethea
Alan Moores Swamp thing
BKV Swamp Thing
Finish up Fables
Sandman Mystery Theater
Classic Supes, Flash, GL
All the batman i can find
Brubaker's Catwoman
Rest of classic Suicide Squad
Sleeper season 1 & 2
Brave & Bold
Jonah Hex pre 52 run
Global Frequency
Morrison's Animal Man
Perez's WW
Wolfman's Teen Titans
Pre 52 Martian Manhunter
Planetary

And some other one offs or maybes

Grabbed Lady Killer and Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 in the Dark Horse sale. Really excited as I loved the first issue of Lady Killer. And I've been wanting to get into Hellboy so I'm hoping this will be a good taste.

VanWinkle

Went ahead and bought the four volumes of 52. That Dark Horse sale is great, too. Dang. I bought the Conan/Red Sonja volume, and I think I'm going to have to end it there. Already spending too much, haha.

tim1138

oh too much. A lot of this is me finalizing my digital wish list of series i loved that want in digital form. The other part is getting a lot of classic DC comics i haven't read since DC wasn't great about collecting early work

Some highlights:
PAD Aquaman
All Birds of Prey
Starman
Top 10
Promethea
Alan Moores Swamp thing
BKV Swamp Thing
Finish up Fables
Sandman Mystery Theater
Classic Supes, Flash, GL
All the batman i can find
Brubaker's Catwoman
Rest of classic Suicide Squad
Sleeper season 1 & 2
Brave & Bold
Jonah Hex pre 52 run
Global Frequency
Morrison's Animal Man
Perez's WW
Wolfman's Teen Titans
Pre 52 Martian Manhunter
Planetary

And some other one offs or maybes

Tons of good stuff there man.

Went ahead and bought the four volumes of 52. That Dark Horse sale is great, too. Dang. I bought the Conan/Red Sonja volume, and I think I'm going to have to end it there. Already spending too much, haha.

You'll be glad you did that once you finish Gotham Centreal and get an attack of the needmoars.

Whats the best website to track upcoming release schedules? I remember I found one a while ago that was perfect but I cant seem to find it again.

frye

Ended up limiting myself to digital versions of Dark Knight, Dark City and Willworld. Not bad for 5 ameribux!

Mindwipe

Ladykiller trade is on sale in this cyber Monday deal. Further discount. It's now $2.99, €2.69 a steal at twice the price.

As part of the Dark Horse Cyber Monday sale, I recommend everyone pick up The Ghost Fleet vol 1 for $3. Hugely underappreciated series. One of my favorite reads of the past year, with a ridiculous and original story, paired with some mind-blowing art. Well worth the price.

Gave both of these a shot. Will let you know what I think in about seven months, when I get to that point in the backlog.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Secret Wars Monday!

Infinity Gauntlet #1 - First of all, Dustin Weaver's art is fantastic, another artist I didnt know that quickly became one of my favorites. The book itself isnt what I expected at all. Its a strange start in this seemingly post-annihilation (I assume thats what the bugs are) apocalypse world, with a small group of survivors and some connection to the Nova corps. Thanos is barely in it and doesnt seem to be the antagonist nor does he even seem to have the gems. Like I said, not what I expected, but im intrigued where it goes. Great art tho, man.

Inferno #1 - This one is more up my alley, always a fan of alternate universe X-Men stories, and this one is quite bleak as this corner of Battleworld is a Limbo infested New York after the X-Men failed at stopping it. Evil Magik is fun, especially when Colossus is hellbent on trying to save her (and sacrificing his fellow mutants to do so), and the last page stinger with Madelyne and Havok (a nod to Mutant X perhaps?) was a good one. Fun book.

To be continued

Messi

Secret Wars Monday!

Infinity Gauntlet #1 - First of all, Dustin Weaver's art is fantastic, another artist I didnt know that quickly became one of my favorites. The book itself isnt what I expected at all. Its a strange start in this seemingly post-annihilation (I assume thats what the bugs are) apocalypse world, with a small group of survivors and some connection to the Nova corps. Thanos is barely in it and doesnt seem to be the antagonist nor does he even seem to have the gems. Like I said, not what I expected, but im intrigued where it goes. Great art tho, man.

Inferno #1 - This one is more up my alley, always a fan of alternate universe X-Men stories, and this one is quite bleak as this corner of Battleworld is a Limbo infested New York after the X-Men failed at stopping it. Evil Magik is fun, especially when Colossus is hellbent on trying to save her (and sacrificing his fellow mutants to do so), and the last page stinger with Madelyne and Havok (a nod to Mutant X perhaps?) was a good one. Fun book.

To be continued

Keep reading both. Loved both of those books. Especially Infinity Gauntlet.

Afrodium

Banned
Man, Comixology's selection of classic DC comics is really lacking. I'd like to read some golden/silver age Superman. Are there any good digital compilations that would have notable issues from that era? I'd prefer digital so that I can take advantage of the BOGO deal right now but if that doesn't exist then I'll just add it to my physical wish list.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Just read All New Hawkeye #1 (The new one). Pretty dull. Don't see why they show us 20 years into the future.

Is it current day with flashes to the future or is the entire thing just set in the future? Either way, I am passing since I didn't like All New Hawkeye before Secret Wars. Such a disappointment coming off of Hawkguy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is it current day with flashes to the future or is the entire thing just set in the future? Either way, I am passing since I didn't like All New Hawkeye before Secret Wars. Such a disappointment coming off of Hawkguy.

Flashes to the future. Continues the story from before Secret Wars with those mutant children. Dull as hell, dropped it.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I picked up Brubaker's Catwoman, Planetary, the last half of Gotham City Sirens (not sure why I only owned half of this), and the few Grayson issues I didn't have. I am not nearly as large of a Grayson fan as others on GAF, but figured it would explain more about what is going on in Eternity.

Wish I could have picked up Transmetropolitan, but didn't want to spend that much, since Wednesday is going to be an expensive day for me.

Rhaknar

Secret Wars Monday continues

Inhumans Attilan Rising #1 - yo this was so fucking dope. 40s noir detective looking Ghost Rider, rebel Inhumans going to other battleworld domains stirring some shit which is a big no no to God Doom as we have already seen in other books, Medusa tasked with stopping that shit and a cool ass talking Blackbolt as shady bar owner at the end? With awesome art by John Timms (who? I dont know most of these artists and some are blowing me away)? Awesome first issue and easily one if the biggest surprises so far (I need to stop expecting what these Secret Wars books are about tbh lol).

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1 - Not so sure about this one, didnt do much for me. I thought it would be more of a comedy book but its just a normal story, and MODOK never did much for me outside of Secret Avengers. Gaf must have loved Gambit casually having his head blown off tho :p The stinger at the end with Angela and MODOK seemingly falling for her might be amusing for the next issue but for now this was definately one of the weaker tie ins for me.

Old Man Logan #1 - Best book of the week? Probably. I didnt know this was a direct sequel to the first story (well, with Secret Wars regions and Doom stuff mixed in), and as a big fan of the original, I loved every bit of this. The various gangs using superhero costumes as their "colors" is a great, if fucked up, idea and I wish the book was more about this. Unfortunately it seems Logan is going off into other domains next since he's climbing the wall at the end (man a lot of people do that for such a forbidden thing lol). Still as another taste as the Old Man Logan future this was a treat. Special note to Andrea Sorrentino's beautiful striking art, and also the colors, just a beautiful book. Easily one of my favorites so far, not looking forward for it to go down the shitter as I heard it does in later issues :/

One more round to go...

Messi

Secret Wars Monday continues

Inhumans Attilan Rising #1 - yo this was so fucking dope. 40s noir detective looking Ghost Rider, rebel Inhumans going to other battleworld domains stirring some shit which is a big no no to God Doom as we have already seen in other books, Medusa tasked with stopping that shit and a cool ass talking Blackbolt as shady bar owner at the end? With awesome art by John Timms (who? I dont know most of these artists and some are blowing me away)? Awesome first issue and easily one if the biggest surprises so far (I need to stop expecting what these Secret Wars books are about tbh lol).

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1 - Not so sure about this one, didnt do much for me. I thought it would be more of a comedy book but its just a normal story, and MODOK never did much for me outside of Secret Avengers. Gaf must have loved Gambit casually having his head blown off tho :p The stinger at the end with Angela and MODOK seemingly falling for her might be amusing for the next issue but for now this was definately one of the weaker tie ins for me.

Old Man Logan #1 - Best book of the week? Probably. I didnt know this was a direct sequel to the first story (well, with Secret Wars regions and Doom stuff mixed in), and as a big fan of the original, I loved every bit of this. The various gangs using superhero costumes as their "colors" is a great, if fucked up, idea and I wish the book was more about this. Unfortunately it seems Logan is going off into other domains next since he's climbing the wall at the end (man a lot of people do that for such a forbidden thing lol). Still as another taste as the Old Man Logan future this was a treat. Special note to Andrea Sorrentino's beautiful striking art, and also the colors, just a beautiful book. Easily one of my favorites so far, not looking forward for it to go down the shitter as I heard it does in later issues :/

One more round to go...

MODOK is amazing and hilarious in the coming issues.

John Timms does some issues of Harley Quinn.

1MrOMnp.jpg

He does the annuals for Harley and some of the fill ins for Chad Hardin. I love his Harley.

Batman as the post- 9/11 survivor turned hate-fueled 'Murican nutjob, living in terror at the foreign invader walking among us because others like him knocked down some buildings, prepared to stop their imminent takeover at any cost.

Messi

Definitely the best looking live-action Batman I've ever seen.

I kinda think it's mostly just an extreme widow's peak with an unflattering hairdo. He might want to consider plugs tho.

Yeah he is my fave batman visually. Plus he has the look to pull off Bruce. I believe in his acting ability.

Top Bottom