• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turrican Soundtrack Anthology Kickstarter project [Goal: 75K, funded]

K701

Banned

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chris-huelsbeck/turrican-soundtrack-anthology-by-chris-huelsbeck

75k Goal needed by Jun 3.

Q: Why do you need such a large budget? Can’t you make a smaller project?

A: In order to make this really special, a lot of work from myself as well as other people has to go into it, and then there are a number of costs for the orchestra recordings, artwork creation, booklet layout and printing, and last but not least, the Box Set manufacturing. But together I believe we can do this, and I'm super excited about this project!

Features:

"Nearly all of the music from the Turrican Series of Games."

"At least 3 CDs will contain these brand new, pristine studio recordings. Even music pieces that were featured on the 1993 Turrican Soundtrack CD will be newly recorded and arranged to update their sound. Highlights will include for the first time: the whole 'Turrican 2 Title', 'Credits' (all versions), 'Metal Stars', 'Tower of Morgul', 'Unidirectional Flight', 'Concerto for Laser and Enemies' and 'Hall of Heroes' - all as full length recordings/arrangements."

Limited edition

Pledges:

$25.00 gets you the whole album on MP3 + a PDF booklet

$50.00 gets you a limited edition numbered and signed 3 CD set. + the MP3's before the album is printed.
cd_art_demo2_600x333.png

Production Team & Info:

Chris Huelsbeck - Project Creator, Composer, Arranger & Producer
Jan Zottmann (Amiga Immortal Series) - Co-Producer, Liner Notes, PR
Thomas Boecker (Merregnon Studios/Symphonic Shades) - Orchestra Production & Consultant, PR
Sound of Games - Production Support, PR
Rudolf Stember - Video Production
Kaspar Zenklusen (Relation SCT) - Graphical Layout
synSONIQ Records - Shipping & Handling

Turrican on wikipedia

dallow_bg

nods at old men
$50 bucks for the 3 CD set and bonuses seems like a good price to me.
If I was interested in this that is. Good luck.

I listened to a couple of arranged Turrican tunes from back then a while ago and didn't like them at all, to be honest. I think they were from the 1992 CD and it was pretty obvious Chris didn't have a lot of experience making non-chip/MOD music at the time. "The Desert Rocks" got some very out of place horns and the originally spine-chillingly awesome "The Great Bath" was ruined with an overdose of crash cymbals on the "one". Call me a Negative Nancy but you just can't replace the original game music.

K701

Banned
Dunno...I love me some Turrican, but that budget seems off.

He's saying it costs that much because there's a live orchestra

Q: Why do you need such a large budget? Can’t you make a smaller project?

A: In order to make this really special, a lot of work from myself as well as other people has to go into it, and then there are a number of costs for the orchestra recordings, artwork creation, booklet layout and printing, and last but not least, the Box Set manufacturing. But together I believe we can do this, and I'm super excited about this project!

Whether that's a valid reason, I have no idea.

Razakin

He's saying it costs that much because there's a live orchestra

Whether that's a valid reason, I have no idea.
It should be a valid reason, live orchestra ain't cheap. And like you quoted, there's tons of other stuff calculated into the mix, so 50 dollars (+shipping) ain't bad for limited edition 3 disc box set.

Gotta hope that this will be funded, so my music library will finally have some Turrican stuff.

K701

Banned
It should be a valid reason, live orchestra ain't cheap. And like you quoted, there's tons of other stuff calculated into the mix, so 50 dollars (+shipping) ain't bad for limited edition 3 disc box set.

Gotta hope that this will be funded, so my music library will finally have some Turrican stuff.

Thanks, added to OP

wsippel

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Make a new turrican instead!
I believe Manfred Trenz wanted to, but who knows. I don't even know what Denaris Entertainment is up to these days. Trenz recently managed to snatch the name again, which was owned by Factor 5 and THQ for a while, and he left the Saber Rider project he was working on with some other studio, so maybe he's doing something. Or maybe not. If it ever happens, it would probably be for 3DS.

Spitz

I am in with 50$ and will put the signed CD Box to my signed Shades CD if this gets funded.

@wsippel

The Kickstarter Page says that Turrican is owned by Factor5 GbR

Trademark notice: Turrican is a trademark of Factor 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR ("Factor 5"), used with friendly permission.

Fredrik

The music is awesome but I usually like the original tunes more than the orcestrated, no matter what game it us. And saying "Kickstarter" and "Turrican" in the same sentence without talking about a game is a huge disappointment.

wsippel

Banned
The Kickstarter Page says that Turrican is owned by Factor5 GbR
That's not what the German patent office says (or used to say a few months ago), though. I'd say nobody really knows what the fuck is going on with the IP at this point.

I don't know if Super Turrican is very special, from what I can tell it was based on Mega Turrican which then inspired Turrican 3. Turrican 2 is the one with the crazy awesome music and I think the best gameplay.

Reversed

I remember playing super turrican on the snes, whats so special about it?

The sequel had a kickass soundtrack, in my opinion. It was very different from your rad Turrican music, but I liked it regardless of that.

Speaking of that, it might be very fitting for a orchestra rearrange. Sit and listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAw5kseXZyc&feature=relmfu

The next one is the music for stage one .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCP_kKSJHaY

It concatenates with this theme at a certain point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdYl7ky49Kk&feature=relmfu

Dang, now I got interested. :I

Shiggy

That's not what the German patent office says (or used to say a few months ago), though. I'd say nobody really knows what the fuck is going on with the IP at this point.

Factor 5 protested against that.

Factor 5 does also have the Turrican trademark but it will expire in July. Fabio Serena from Italy protested against the Factor 5 trademark.

So they'll have some fun together...

(And Trenz' last project was Alarm für Cobra 11 3DS, I believe)

Been looping some of the music. Even tracks that I don't remember as awesome are pretty much great. There's so much to all of them, always a new melody sneaking in after a while.

Almost feel like setting up the old Amiga and bringing out the disk. Oh, that's right. All of this game including the full soundtrack took less than 880 kb.

Aku-Audi

Pledged! Hülsbeck's soundtracks are some of the most inspirational musical memories I have, so I owe him a lot for that. Over $20,000 in less than 24 hours too!

Top Bottom