• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Games Live Kickstarter: Level 3 studio album and live concert DVD (stretch)

Kickstarter link

photo-main.jpg

Video Games Live: Level 3 will be the 3rd album of symphonic & rock video game music from the award winning 10 year+ world touring Video Games Live concert series.

The album will be recorded in a world famous recording studio with a 60 - 72+ piece orchestra, 60+ person choir and full rock band consisting of world famous game composers from around the world.

Each music segment in Video Games Live is personally arranged and orchestrated by the original composers and also uses input from the actual game designers & producers and game developers & publishers.

The album track list will consist of NEVER BEFORE RELEASED Video Games Live music arrangements from potential game franchises such as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Shadow of the Colossus, Skyrim, Journey, Monkey Island, Destiny, DOTA, Assassin's Creed, Earthworm Jim, Silent Hill, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Super Smash Bros., Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Mass Effect, Katamari Damacy, World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, BioShock, Beyond Good & Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter II, Uncharted, Portal, Tetris, Red Dead Redemption, Devil May Cry, Megaman, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil, Pac-Man AND MORE! (final setlist to be contingent on game publisher approval). The goal is to have between 15 - 18 tracks on the album. The album will also contain a video game song remix by world famous composer/DJ/artist BT!

Target release date is February 18, 2014.

19029f44651c1594dbe90ae45d240ce4_large.jpg

Musicians (symphony & choir) = $130,000 - $160,000
Recording Studio = $10,000
Mixing = $15,000
Mastering = $7,500
Album Art/Liner Notes = $5,000
CD Manufacturing = $5,000
Music Licensing/Publishing/Mechanicals = $15,000
Kickstarter/Amazon fees = $25,000
Project PR (Worldwide) & Marketing (Advertising) = $15,000
Domestic U.S. Shipping & Handling of Rewards = $5,000
Physical Reward products (hats, print-outs, keychains, etc.) = $12,500
Location Rental & Celebration Events = $5,000

TOTAL = Approximately $275,000

Video Games Live is not making any money from this project. Our goal is to continue doing what we love and bringing it to the people who care (as well as introducing game music to people who don't!) In fact, Video Games Live and Tommy Tallarico will be personally helping to fund the project outside of the Kickstarter campaign. The initial $250,000 does NOT cover all of the expenses associated with the project.

Video Games Live has produced 2 highly successful and Top 10 Billboard ranked albums in the past as well as a Top 10 worldwide released PBS Special and DVD/Blu-Ray. Tommy Tallarico was the very first video game composer EVER to release a worldwide video game soundtrack album (back in 1994 with Capitol Records) and has composed and produced 10 highly acclaimed albums since. This project will NOT go over budget and WILL be delivered on time!

c0cfe8428e9c59b3eb03684ff6e7d078_large.jpg

$300,000 - Special Foil and embossed CD art designed by a world famous pop culture artist.

$400,000 - Mini documentary and interviews with game composers & designers on the making of the album as well as a behind-the-scenes look filmed during the upcoming Video Games Live Latin America tour taking place this fall. Upon funding of this goal, EVERYONE who pledges will get a special and exclusive digital version of this documentary (we ask our fans to please NOT publish this publicly out of respect for the people who backed the project).

$750,000 - A live full length feature film and documentary of the music, making-of, interviews with composers/designers, history of game music, etc. to be recorded during the upcoming Video Games Live Latin America tour taking place this fall. If we hit the $750,000 stretch goal then all tiers from $25 and up will receive a digital version of the film and all tiers from $40 and up will include a physical Blu-Ray/DVD combo of the movie!

Levels above $750,000 - Famous game composers and designers from around the world will be flown in to perform on the album and/or the motion picture.

Way too many rewards to list, they're going all out with the digital goods. Physical CD starts at the limited $40 tier.

DarkWish

Sweet! I did the $50 pledge. I've seen the concert twice and loved it. Also have the first CD and the DVD of the second release. Tommy Tallarico is a cool guy as well, did a 2+ hour interview with him for my podcast a few years ago.

I hope this goes through, I'd love to have more awesome video game music.

AnnTiPa

I'm still waiting for them to come to Europe...

They have already postponed their European tour twice and at the moment there's no mention of it at all on their site. Makes me worried. :(

krae_man

Those completely made up inflated "a $75 value!" numbers rub me the wrong way. It's like a sleezy infomercial pitch. The only thing missing is the state of Kansas Jello mold.

I really don't see how a digital copy of a drawing of Earthworm Jim playing the guitar is worth $30. If they were mailing out a limited edition screen print or something that would be worth $30, but being emailed a high res image is not something that gets a dollar value put next to it.

DarkWish

So I'll be interviewing Tommy Tallarico about this Kickstarter campaign and Video Games Live in general for the podcast I do for NintendoFuse. It'll be a live interview this Monday at 7 pm eastern and folks are encouraged to submit questions in our chatroom as well that will be available during the show. I figured it would be worth posting it here in case anyone wanted more info or had any questions about this campaign, and they'd be able to ask Tommy himself. Click here for the post on our site with the details on how to join in live.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought I'd check up and see how this was going and it's a little over half way to its goal. Rather than the ambitious stretch goals, I hope it hits its base goal just to get the album made at this point.

mclem

I think I want, but I'm damned if I can figure out what tier best represents the confluence of rewards I want. I need to study the matrix.

mishakoz

Gonna pledge $100. Never had the ability to see the concert, but love the level 2 album wholeheartedly.

The Civ 4 Duet version, megaman montage, Mass Effect Suite, and Halo Montage are all freaking fantastic and i need more of them. Love my video game music, especially the stuff that never gets a chance to be orchestrated. IMO, need a 8 bit medley, with the Moon theme, Sonic 3 Ice Cap Zone, and others.

Salaadin

Just got the email that Shadow of the Colossus and Beyond Good and Evil are confirmed for the album. Very nice.

I went to see these guys 2 months ago and they were great. Really hoping they hit the goal by Friday.

Tommy is going to be on the In Game Chat radio show tonight. Theyre having a special videogame music themed episode.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634401

New update:
One of the fan favorites over the past few years has been the Tetris Opera. We are happy to confirm that the rights have been secured and the Tetris Opera will be on the album and recorded for the first time ever! If you haven't seen or heard this segment yet... check it out! This performance took place last year in Montreal at the Bell Centre Arena! This is the venue that the Montreal Canadiens hockey team play! Over 6,000 people were there as Grammy Award Winning game composer Christopher Tin (Civilization IV) conducted the amazing Symphony & Choir with Laura "Flute Link" Intravia taking the lead on vocals. Also look out for Tetris creator Alexi Pajitnov who thanks Video Games Live for what we are achieving and accomplishing around the world!

Next up is Silent Hill 2 from Akira Yamaoka!! I worked with Akira-san on a brand new unique arrangement for the VGL Silent Hill 2 segment. This version has NEVER been recorded and will feature Akira Yamaoka on guitar! Check out this AMAZING version when we performed in Tokyo, Japan during the huge Tokyo Game Show (TGS) back in 2009. You'll see me introduce Akira on stage (he plays guitar on the piece) and, if you can believe it or not... this was the FIRST TIME he had EVER performed in his homeland of Japan! He is a good friend and was very thankful that Video Games Live was able to give him the opportunity. Akira-san has been promoting the VGL Kickstarter to all his networks and fans around the world.

Which brings the list of confirmed tracks to:
  • Monkey Island (performed with Michael Land, Clint Bajakian & Peter McConnell)
  • Street Fighter II
  • Skyrim
  • Journey (brand new arrangement by Austin Wintory + Piano EP album)
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Tetris Opera
  • Silent Hill 2 (brand new arrangement)

That's a pretty great set already. I saw Tommy and Akira perform Silent Hill 2 together at a show in VGL a few years ago, it was incredible.

The trajectory isn't looking too good right now, I'm surprised it's not doing better. You'd think there'd be a lot of people in the industry who would want to help support this. I wonder if the crazy complicated reward tiers are hurting them.

Reddit IAMA for real in 15 minutes.

DarkWish

Darn, doesn't look like they''ll make it. I interviewed Tommy Tallarico last month about this Kickstarter and he had some big plans for the CD and everything. I was really looking forward to it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The kickstarter had a very good day so it might still make it if it gets some good press in these last days.

tuffy

Looks like it just needs another ~$13,000 over the next 48 hours. Hopefully it'll get there with a last minute bump.

hlhbk

I upped mine from $40 to $60. I am highly skeptical its going to reach the $250,000 mark in 48 hours. Come on GAF lets get it done!

DarkWish

Woah, it actually is getting close now. Yay! Come on GAF, make sure to support having great video game music released. About $9000 to go!

Top Bottom