• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unemployment Quest!: the RPG about being unemployed (Kickstarter)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
the unemployed should just start Kickstarters of their own. Thats how all of society should work from now on. Do no job, nay even hobby, without kickstarting it first.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ZcmjJ.png

Do you lose HP whenever your parents lay a guilt trip on you?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Didn't realise the thing is closing in on $10,000 for a fucking RPG Maker made game. Jesus christ people are stupid.

bon

We now live in a world where anybody with a quirky idea and a copy of RPG Maker can get $10000. Scary.

Tenck

We now live in a world where anybody with a quirky idea and a copy of RPG Maker can get $10000. Scary.

If people want to donate let them donate. Nothing wrong with the guy getting money. He asked, people listened, and they want to play his game.

bon

If people want to donate let them donate. Nothing wrong with the guy getting money. He asked, people listened, and they want to play his game.

That's true, but this still looks incredibly low-effort. It's even using RPG Maker's stock graphics. Personally I'd feel weird about selling this type of game for money.

Lol. All that money for a RPG Maker game. I should go kickstarter too, my RPG about console wars is about 40% achieved... and I did it for fun.:p

beril

Looks incredibly lame and tacky. Naming standard RPG-maker monsters after emotions doesn't really make it into a deep psychological piece of storytelling.

The saddest part is there are lots of decent indie games that has made less money than that. Games that are actually finished before asking for money, and not made in RPG-maker...

Kusagari

Looks incredibly lame and tacky. Naming standard RPG-maker monsters after emotions doesn't really make it into a deep psychological piece of storytelling.

The saddest part is there are lots of decent indie games that has made less money than that. Games that are actually finished before asking for money, and not made in RPG-maker...

From what I've seen you can put any RPG Maker game on kickstarter, sell it as a homage to the 'old school' SNES RPG era, and it will make at least 5k.

7threst

You can make great games with RPGmaker. Wasn't To The Moon also made with RPG maker? If somebody has a good idea for a game and uses RPG maker, I don't see the problem.

FillerB

You can make great games with RPGmaker. Wasn't To The Moon also made with RPG maker? If somebody has a good idea for a game and uses RPG maker, I don't see the problem.

I think the problem people are having with this being RPG Maker is not that it uses the engine, which is quite nice and can do amazing things with a bit of work, but that it uses the stock graphics that come with it. Which makes it look more like a quick cash-in that was done over a weekend or two instead of the deep "homage" meant for today's youth that it's pretending to be.

Feep

Banned
I basically judge Kickstarters by their video at this point. Oh, awkward 20-something speaking into a webcam? You didn't put any time or effort into your presentation? Seems like a trend.

Not liking the world, and using stock images...mmm. Not a thing I approved if he wanted to kickstart.
But before clicking I thought it was going to be about "real-life" city were with some new gameplay ideas there will be "fights" to look for a job making it innovative.
The only thing I see here is Dragon Quest copy cat (I dont like the medieval setting for a game about unemployment) with the story of his unemployment plastered in the background.
He could have get a rom of DQ game and make a new story about the character being unemployed or something and it would still feel the same as this.

Im in a small team right now that are making games, and I kown how difficult it is, but we are passionate and we are trying to make new ideas for the game to be fresh and fun. Its sad we can not kickstart it becuase we are from europe, and watch this that seems to have so little effort getting kickstarted.

And so open the floodgates of hundreds of schmoes that have half baked ideas with little to no grasp of the actual work and commitment needed to complete said game proceeding to saturate kickstarter with impulse clutter that will never see the light of day or outright scams essentially souring the donation userbase, ruining it for the legit ones.

I remember when games like these were made by people for fun. Out of passion. For free. And the fact that it's on fucking RPG maker? ffs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was actually in the first 30 people who kickstarted this. While it's mechanics are old-school, as well as the music, the idea makes me laugh as well as the little I've seen. The asking price is low, and I can relate to the message. It's obvious this is a very personal game, that the developer really wanted to sit himself down and make a game about the situation he and many others find themselves in, unemployed in a difficult world, and decided to instead draw from the inspiration to make something entertaining.

Definitely looking forward to this, and happy the project may be funded 10x over.

I will make mention that it doesn't matter what tool you use to make a game, as long as the idea is interesting and you have actual stuff to show off for yourself. This guy already has original graphics, some music, gameplay, and more to show, and it captures peoples interest maybe in big part because of how widespread the feeling of unemployment resonates with todays just-out-of-high school/college audience.

And so open the floodgates of hundreds of schmoes that have half baked ideas with little to no grasp of the actual work and commitment needed to complete said game proceeding to saturate kickstarter with impulse clutter that will never see the light of day or outright scams essentially souring the donation userbase, ruining it for the legit ones.

I remember when games like these were made by people for fun. Out of passion. For free. And the fact that it's on fucking RPG maker? ffs.

barkley shut up and jam gaiden didnt need a kickstarter

beril

I basically judge Kickstarters by their video at this point. Oh, awkward 20-something speaking into a webcam? You didn't put any time or effort into your presentation? Seems like a trend.

I can understand that reasoning but some devs are just awful PR people and I don't really like the notion that PR should play a big part before the game is even in full developement. Then again I don't particularly like the notion of Kickstarter in general, but if you wan't to support innovative small devs some of them will be awkward 20-somethings that couldn't make a nice video no matter how hard they tried. In this case the project seems as awful as the presentation though.

Im in a small team right now that are making games, and I kown how difficult it is, but we are passionate and we are trying to make new ideas for the game to be fresh and fun. Its sad we can not kickstart it becuase we are from europe, and watch this that seems to have so little effort getting kickstarted.

You could use IndieGoGo instead; seems like pretty much the same things but less hyped. Probably can't support as big projects but there seems to be some getting some devent chunks of cash.

I pretty much feel the same way. I've put a lot of hard work into my games and spent my own money developing them but can still hardly get anyone to buy the games when they're actually finished products, while some of the most crappy looking generic stuff get thousands of dollars in advance on Kickstarter. Still not sure if I'd feel comfortable trying to use crowdfunding for my next game.

Dusk Golem

Is this really being produced with RPG maker? I didn't see any note of that on the kickstarter.

I don't actually think so, in big part because some of the media doesn't look RPG Maker to me. I think people make the assumption since 2D RPG = COULD be make in RPG Maker, but that doesn't actually mean it is.

It could be made from scratch, flash, or anything else, but in the end what matters more than anything is if the game is up to snuff or not. The idea is certainly entertaining, though.

I don't actually think so, in big part because some of the media doesn't look RPG Maker to me. I think people make the assumption since 2D RPG = COULD be make in RPG Maker, but that doesn't actually mean it is.

It could be made from scratch, flash, or anything else, but in the end what matters more than anything is if the game is up to snuff or not. The idea is certainly entertaining, though.

Probably at some point! I've been in touch with the company that makes RPG Maker (the program I used to make the game) and they are working on allowing for multiple-platform support.

I don't think he used RPG Maker, even though he said so himself in the FAQ down there.

Dusk Golem

I don't think he used RPG Maker, even though he said so himself in the FAQ down there.

Then he did, but I still stand by my point. If he used it well enough that it's not using the straight-out defaults of the program, I have no qualms and further so, if the game is fun I don't care what it's made with. Is it fun? I can't say yet. But I can enjoy games like VVVVVV, or Lone Survivor, even though they were made with flash. Or also from RPG Maker, a game like To The Moon.

You could use IndieGoGo instead; seems like pretty much the same things but less hyped. Probably can't support as big projects but there seems to be some getting some devent chunks of cash.

I pretty much feel the same way. I've put a lot of hard work into my games and spent my own money developing them but can still hardly get anyone to buy the games when they're actually finished products, while some of the most crappy looking generic stuff get thousands of dollars in advance on Kickstarter. Still not sure if I'd feel comfortable trying to use crowdfunding for my next game.

We are thinking about IndieGoGo, but first we need to get the game going to a decent level so it can be showed.

Then he did, but I still stand by my point. If he used it well enough that it's not using the straight-out defaults of the program, I have no qualms and further so, if the game is fun I don't care what it's made with. Is it fun? I can't say yet. But I can enjoy games like VVVVVV, or Lone Survivor, even though they were made with flash. Or also from RPG Maker, a game like To The Moon.

The thing is, it is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see what the tools used have to do with anything.

Fault it for using default graphics and systems or whatever, not the programs.

Actually even some of the above may be ok as long as he's actually written and paced something decent to go with it.

I mean, where's the line, I've seen people look down on others for using things like GameMaker too, and it's just weird.

As long as it's actually legal to sell games with what he used that is, I don't know the specifics for that.

The bitter tears for the guy reaching the goal are fun to watch though.

I don't see what the tools used have to do with anything.

Fault it for using default graphics and systems or whatever, not the programs.

I mean, where's the line, I've seen people look down on others for using things like GameMaker too, and it's just weird.

As long as it's actually legal to sell games with what he used that is, I don't know the specifics, if the program is legally available, etc.

Yeah, I don't see why using RPG maker as a solid tool for an oldschool rpg game is bad for a one-person game. But yeah, using default assets is a sign of laziness.

Pie and Beans

Then I obviously have not played many very recent RPG Maker games. XD

well thats your own fault, and the fun thing is, most of them are for free because most people never thought getting people to pay for cut and paste easy work would ever hold up to the internet at large. Never underestimate ignorance I guess, enjoy:

screenshot02.jpg

ssorder.png

screenshot01.jpg

cw5MM.png

screenshot04.jpg

rpg_maker_vx_charset.jpg

Probably most of the entire things art assets are from stock, the gameplay, engine and design cookie cutter because thats what this program normally creates.

Dumb sites like Destructoid and other bottom of the barrel news sites seeing a story here to fit some dumb agenda while real indie developers struggle to get their shit into any kind of press is the real topic at play here, and is what I'd always feared the Kickstarter phenomenon would enable: lazy assholes riding free on the crest of the wave that dont have to fit hobbyist creations that take at most a weekend in around actually making a wage but conning the evergreen pastures of naive internet stupids into funding their bail-me-out-plz-mom lives.

Destructoid 'article' said:
DeYoe has been doing all the work himself; doing all the coding, art and creating the soundtrack. Unfortunately, making a game when you have zero income is hardly a walk in the park, and DeYoe hit a brick wall. Good thing this Kickstarter craze is still in full swing.

Hssssssssssssss.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
RPG Maker games getting $10k in donations.

I don't even know what the fuck is going on in this industry anymore. I just know that everyone should be ashamed.

beril

the fun thing is, most of them are for free because most people never thought getting people to pay for cut and paste easy work would ever hold up to the internet at large. Never underestimate ignorance I guess

Pretty much this. Selling a game like this for money is crazy. Asking for donations in advance is beyond shameless. Actually succeeding and getting close to 10k is sad

Top Bottom