• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids are taking the feds -- and possibly Trump -- to court over climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopdoor

Does this have any actual chance of being successful? It'd be nice to get on board with this if it was really a feasible way to fight.

Laiza

We have no choice.

We have to hold them accountable for selling out our collective future for the sake of short-term profit.

These people are engaging in acts that are basically cartoon villainy. This is one of the purest displays of pure evil we'll ever see in the public eye. This is the kind of shit that warrants extra special castigation.

We have to use whatever avenues are available to us to take them to task. To do anything less is to relegate the human race to a future of endless suffering.

daveo42

Banned
These kids are awesome. We need to give them as much support as possible.

This should be a lesson to anyone supporting Trump. You are literally dooming your children and grandchildren by denying climate change. Maybe think a little more about how your actions affect the future and not just in the next five minutes.

MUnited83

For you.
You could let those kids debate Trump directly and they would come out as the most reasonable and mature.

Your next fucking President is a worse choice than a fucking 9 year old kid. America is fucked.

MogCakes

Lobbyists will be trying to screw these kids up at every step. I wonder how much fang-bearing will be shown as they're forced to go to court.

Rage, America. Rage into this quiet night and show that you won't stand down to people who seem intent on believing that not abhorring white supremacy and fascism makes complicit in it.

Madness

I wish Americans could realize that they are ruining the rest of the world here. Climate change will affect island nations, coastal communities, and the poor first. That map of Florida flooded and whatnot is a scare tactic. Americans will spend hundreds of millions to billions on band-aid solutions to save themselves. Oh sea level is rising lets raise all roads in coastal cities 4 feet up. But what do the people in Maldives do?

I still cannot believe that so many people saw Before the Flood and then just a few days later, a man who said Climate Change is a chinese hoax was voted into office. You are giving up on the next silicon valley level of industry in terms of renewable and green energy all so oil companies and corporations can reap the land and bleed it dry to sell and make billions in profit.

RuGalz

This is heart warming. Similarly, kids in my area are protesting about the election result and one of the kids said to the interviewer: "they can't call us sore losers because we were never given the chance". We need more kids like these.

Case existed for a while and started against Obama.

It was a good idea at inception and is desperately needed now so I'm happy for its existence.

I doubt anything will legally come from this but exposure is great.

Laiza

The most annoying part is that we will likely have the technology to reverse climate change over the coming decades, but even if we can reverse it, we can't reverse the damage it causes through rising sea levels, ocean acidification, desertification, and deadly weather patterns. In other words: the damage has already been done, and it's us younger folks who get to bear the brunt of it all.

Fuck old people.

a916

Good on them.

America may have people in place that deny climate change, but no one would ignore the mass populace if they made enough (peaceful) noise.

mkenyon

Banned
This is the best thing I've read today.

They aren't complaining and writing blogs. They aren't bitching on Facebook. They aren't doing some kind of protest that would be written off immediately.

They are working within the system in a way that makes people pay attention, which is costing them money. Fucking incredible. Good job parents, good job kids.

This is the best thing I've read today.

They aren't complaining and writing blogs. They aren't bitching on Facebook. They aren't doing some kind of protest that would be written off immediately.

They are working within the system in a way that makes people pay attention, which is costing them money. Fucking incredible. Good job parents, good job kids.
Agreed.

dhMeAzK.gif

Nelo Ice

Banned
Any chance we can do this for just about everything Trump will try to implement?. Now I'm wondering if we can bury him and the GOP under lawsuits.

Beautiful.

What would happen if all the Americans that acknowledge climate change brought a lawsuit to the Federal officials that deny or worsen the situation?

Is it even possible?

Laiza

Beautiful.

What would happen if all the Americans that acknowledge climate change brought a lawsuit to the Federal officials that deny or worsen the situation?

Is it even possible?
I think this pretty much is that lawsuit.

But maybe we should be throwing the book at them. Maybe we should be inundating them with our ire. Quietly voting against them sure as hell isn't gonna work.

stuminus3

This is what I'm talking about guys. It's not "Trump's in, lights out". You can't just legislate away the will of the people.

whitehawk

Banned
Where can I donate to these kids legal fees? Seriously, I will do it right now.
Time to extend voting rights to everyone over the age of 9.
Joking aside, the voting age should be at least 16. It's the same logic for why the driving age is 16. It's not that kids absolutely need to drive at 16, but it gives them a couple years of learning so when they are an adult, they can drive as needed.

When one is 16, a new government affects their life for the next 4 years, just as they are becoming an adult or starting college. It's an important time in ones life, and they should have a voice in it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Good luck, kids.

Go fuck up that cunt. He's a waste of fresh air, even before his climate repeals.

Peltz

The climate kids she represents will argue their constitutional rights to liberty and property are being violated by climate change, which threatens to submerge coastal cities, exacerbate drought and bring on mass extinction.

Sometimes, you just have to applaud creative lawyering. It's a very interesting theory.

I do not think it is a very strong argument, however. I cannot think of a single interpretation of the Constitution that has ever forced a President to affirmatively regulate something. Can anyone help me out?

The flaw is that the government would not be depriving these children of liberty or property by eliminating regulations propagated by the EPA. Rather, it's the businesses that are unregulated and spewing chemicals into the air that would be causing the deprivation. Their causes of action would have to be against those businesses and not the Executive Branch.

If Donald Trump eliminates EPA regulations, he still would not be doing anything that is unconstitutional.

Trickster

Will probably amount to nothing. But god damn do I hope I am wrong about that. Some kids suing the government about climate change and getting something done about, would be amazing

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As an Oregonian, I'm very proud of these kids. And not very surprised, Oregon is maybe the most concious state of keeping its nature preserved and due to it being a place where multiple climates and biomes meet you get to see a lot of the direct effects of nature around here. Things like outdoor school and visits to various natural beauty sights around here is common in schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom