• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima wants 50GB Blu-Ray disk for MGS4 - morons claim developer incompetency!

http://www.sagn.co.za/news.php?extend.366

This enticing piece of news might spur on the current debate over the correct format for the Next Gen Consoles. Recently Hideo Kojima said that "Blu-Ray is too small for Metal Gear Solid 4."

Currently the Blu-Ray disks can hold around 25 GB, but he wants the newer 50 GB Blue Ray disk, which is not a Dual layer 25 GB disk.

Apparently Hideo Kojima believes that what you do with in game sound can fill up the disk rather quickly this leads us to believe that the new MGS may have an ace up its sleeve, perhaps some thing never before seen in a game, though we can't be sure what yet. This seems to be the reason why he needs a larger disk.

Well this now raises the question, will MGS4 come to the Xbox 360? The current reports indicated that this is indeed the case, though whether it will come out on a few disks or be compressed onto one is still to be answered!

You can grab yourself of the podcast, entitled "1 up yours" it is an hour long, and if you just want the section related to this you can grab it from:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPELQCTS

Imagine trying to rip a 50 GB game, well unless the PS3 can read iso's that is...

Hideo Kojima is indeed a genius though, and all of this makes me more excited about playing MGS4 and finally seeing what Kojima has in store for us.
Saw it on b3d, skimmed the 1 up yours thread and didn't see anything on it.

Snaku

Banned
Apparently Hideo Kojima believes that what you do with in game sound can fill up the disk rather quickly this leads us to believe that the new MGS may have an ace up its sleeve, perhaps some thing never before seen in a game, though we can't be sure what yet. This seems to be the reason why he needs a larger disk.

Five hour cutscenes am next gen!

Statements like this always make me roll my eyes. With the amazing things developers manage to pull out of their ass all the time, it sort of bothers me when a guy in charge of one of the most technically respected groups around (and as far as I know doesn't do any of the technical work himself) comes out and says "NOPE SORRY NOT POSSIBLE can't do it without eighteen gajillion flopabytes" I just have to wonder how sound the statement is.

For what it's worth I LOVE Kojima and have a lot of respect for him but I'm a little skeptical about this.

Odysseus said:
you skimmed a single thread and figured it was all clear? i said wow

anyway, maybe you should have skimmed last week's 1up yours thread
Didn't occur to me to read the older 1 up yours threads since the post on the other forum and the news on the link were posted recently.

Oh well.

Grayman

i'd rather play metal gear on the ps3 anyways.

the game is spread across different areas of the world so when you think about multiple guard chats, music, sound effects. Foot steps, wall taps, door types, and environment sounds could all be different in each area.

also 25 not being big enough might mean he wants 27gigs, not 50.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh shit my sources at ign are saying that kojima plans to include the preceding mgs triology :eek:

Surreal

I think when it comes to sound Kojima is going to blow people away. The PS3 supports 7.1 PCM, god knows what a dev like Kojima could do with that. Movie like gameplay FTW.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Surreal said:
I think when it comes to sound Kojima is going to blow people away. The PS3 supports 7.1 PCM, god knows what a dev like Kojima could do with that. Movie like gameplay FTW.

movie like gameplay? what is that? watching cutscene after cutscene?

Surreal

Blackace said:
movie like gameplay? what is that? watching cutscene after cutscene?

I was talking more about how "movie like" the sound will be. My comment was pretty unclear, sorry.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Surreal said:
Screaming guards voices echoing off closed hallways, dogs barking, bullets wizzing by, bombs going off, soldiers voices surrounding you, hearing one of those mini-gears "moo'ing" and landing near you, etc. I can't even imagine how sweet the sound could be. :)

Unfortunately I'm not working with 7.1 yet, I figure I'll upgrade some time this year.

Surreal

Bad_Boy said:
Screaming guards voices echoing off closed hallways, dogs barking, bullets wizzing by, bombs going off, soldiers voices surrounding you, hearing one of those mini-gears "moo'ing" and landing near you, etc. I can't even imagine how sweet the sound could be. :)

Unfortunately I'm not working with 7.1 yet, I figure I'll upgrade some time this year.

I have 2.0, so don't feel too bad. After blowing all that money on a HDTV for my 360, it's going to take a while to get a decent sound system.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Surreal said:
I have 2.0, so don't feel too bad. After blowing all that money on a HDTV for my 360, it's going to take a while to get a decent sound system.
Yeah I hear that (no pun intended). I don't even have a decent receiver really. But I'm definately looking forward to more "next gen sound" in future games. I'd probably replay all my war/shooting games when I do get the proper setup. :p

Xavien

Pimpbaa said:
How does a bigger disc equate to longer load times?

Simple 2x BR (9MB/sec) has less data transfer then 8xDVD (10.9MB/sec), combine this with a 6 times larger disc, means you are gonna have longer loading, since as textures and assets get larger in size, the transfer rate will seriously hamper loading times as more and more data has to be loaded for levels etc.

J-Rzez

Oh man... I'll have another reason to justify getting a 1.3HDMI Denon receiver in 7.1 now! Like I needed another reason, I wanted to get one for Movies and Resistance... I'm glad to see that there are games that will take advantage of the new hardware...

Bring it on Kojima...

Multiplatform developers are in their offices wondering what drug Kojimas on.

Or trying to come up with excuses for when they get asked why they don't do this...

Can we get some more painfully misinformed posts about how realtime cutscenes eat up a lot of disk space? I don't think there's enough yet.

Snaku

Banned
buckfutter said:
Can we get some more painfully misinformed posts about how realtime cutscenes eat up a lot of disk space? I don't think there's enough yet.

Real time has nothing to do with it. Audio takes up the space according to Hideo.

Snaku said:
Real time has nothing to do with it. Audio takes up the space.
Not anymore than a single gameplay frame's ambient audio with added voice, depending on how they manage cutscene audio. Codec calls, yes, they're going to eat up a chunk considering the length and variety of them, but realtime cutscenes with audio included aren't going to make someone need 25gbs of disk space minimum. Especially as he's gone on record saying that MGS4 will have shorter cutscenes (although there may not be less cutscenes).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DSN2K said:
MGS4 will not be using any form of Compression confirmed. :lol
Thats what people said about resistance when they were back at 20GB. To make a long story short, that ended up being false.

Yoboman

Gold Member
e3-2006-dear-mr-kojima-jump-in-ad-20060511021024189-000.jpg

Surreal

Yoboman said:

I wish someone would explain this to me. I've seen it several times, but what is MS saying? They just published a page in some booklet asking Kojima to jump in? Wouldn't there be a more efficient or productive way to go about this? You'd think they would have something to announce, or a surprise for everyone shortly after printing that. What the hell is the point?

This is what I've always suspected. Lair will have 7.1. So I'm pretty certain Hideo wants 7.1 PCM (uncompressed/lossless for those wondering). Add various layers of sound effects and this can take up 6gb-10gb, which would be impossible on a DVD since DVDs simply don't have the space or bandwidth to do this. Audio has always been top notch in Metal Gear. And since there's no more rumble, sound will play more of a key on PS3 than ever before. So if you have a nice system, you'll get the benefits.

Whoever wrote that article however has no idea about Blu-ray. There is no single layer 50gb. The PS3 can play 50gb discs and that's precisely what Kojima is talking about. Kojima isn't saying that Blu-ray isn't enough, it's just that 25gb discs may not be enough for him.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Surreal said:
I wish someone would explain this to me. I've seen it several times, but what is MS saying? They just published a page in some booklet asking Kojima to jump in? Wouldn't there be a more efficient or productive way to go about this? You'd think they would have something to announce, or a surprise for everyone shortly after printing that. What the hell is the point?
It was a parody magazine of the E3 brochures made by KojiPro back at E3 and it had parody advertisements including that one inside

Surreal

Yoboman said:
It was a parody magazine of the E3 brochures made by KojiPro back at E3 and it had parody advertisements including that one inside

Oh, so it's not real, thanks for explaining that. :lol

*feels stupid now*

big_z

Probably needs the space because konami doesn't compress their games correctly. I remember back when looking through MGS2(pc) a lot of simple texture files that would be less than 5K compressed without loss were over 1MB in size. :|

Top Bottom