• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima wants 50GB Blu-Ray disk for MGS4 - morons claim developer incompetency!

cedric69

DarkJediKnight said:
No, advanced codecs like True HD and DTS MA are for movies only. What the PS3 can do for games is uncompressed PCM - which is basically what you get from Tru HD and DTS MA once it's unzipped. You need a good amount of bandwidth for this.
And it's freaking useless in a videogame. Playing a videogame it's not an audiophile experience and will never be. There's too much going on for that kind of listening experience (not to mention the fact that most of the people in the world would have a hard time telling apart DD 5.1 and uncompressed PCM in a double blind test ).

RavenFox

Banned
cedric69 said:
And it's freaking useless in a videogame. Playing a videogame it's not an audiophile experience and will never be. There's too much going on for that kind of listening experience (not to mention the fact that most of the people in the world would have a hard time telling apart DD 5.1 and uncompressed PCM in a double blind test ).
You really have NO IDEA what your talking about. I can tell difference fella. Who are you?

SleazyC

cedric69 said:
After playing Resistance in 5.1 I'd have to disagree. The whole experience is that much more surreal when you hear bullets and explosions going off all around you. If I wasn't a poor college student I would drop the money in a second to get a nice 7.1 setup.

J-Rzez

cedric69 said:

Quit while you're ahead... The sound in Resistance is amazing... wtf is wrong with better quality sound and more variety of sound effects and music... please... so what if some people can't use it or tell the difference, there's people out there that can and will use and notice a difference... damn...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Tony Hawk Project 8 - 5.10GB
Madden NFL 07 - 7.08GB
Resistance: Fall Of Man - 17.53GB
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 6.85GB
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 8.27GB
NHL 2K7 - 7.86GB
Need For Speed Carbon - 11.5GB
Tiger Woods 2007 - 7.19GB
Fight Night Round 3 - 4.3GB
NBA 2K7 - 7.59GB
Call Of Duty 3 - 6.7GB
Full Auto 2: Battlelines - 3.55GB
Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire - 3.96GB

This basically proves that for most games regular dvd's are fine, and I have no doubt that NFS Carbon and Resistance could have been done on a dual layer dvd.

No one can really argue that having more space is bad, but to say it's impossible without huge storage such as 50gb is simply not true. Higher res audio is nice, but points being made is that with the state of most people's audio systems simply would not hear the difference is true. Heck, even those with a good audio system 80% would probably still fail a blind a/b test between compressed and uncompressed. After all, they paid a lot for thier bose speakers. :lol

Avalon

dvdvideo said:
This basically proves that for most games regular dvd's are fine, and I have no doubt that NFS Carbon and Resistance could have been done on a dual layer dvd.

Actually, that proves nothing. All those titles were developed primarily for the Xbox 360, so of course they are only going to use the standard DVD amount (except Gundam, which was horribly rushed). Let's wait and see what titles developed primarily for the PS3 use.

Avalon said:
Actually, that proves nothing. All those titles were developed primarily for the Xbox 360, so of course they are only going to use the standard DVD amount (expect Gundam, which was horribly rushed). Let's wait and see what titles developed primarily for the PS3 use.

One of the things that definitely sucks about all this is that multiplat games are going to be developed for the lowest spec, which means they will rarely take advantage of the extra space on the BD in any meaningful way.

Avalon

Segata Sanshiro said:
One of the things that definitely sucks about all this is that multiplat games are going to be developed for the lowest spec, which means they will rarely take advantage of the extra space on the BD in any meaningful way.

That's probably the smallest problem with PS3/360 ports.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Avalon said:
Actually, that proves nothing. All those titles were developed primarily for the Xbox 360, so of course they are only going to use the standard DVD amount (expect Gundam, which was horribly rushed). Let's wait and see what titles developed primarily for the PS3 use.
Additional to that, games early in the life of the console are usually much smaller. Take the initial CD disc released PS2 games at launch for example; now you see nothing but DVD/DVD9 released PS2 games.

cedric69

RavenFox said:
You really have NO IDEA what your talking about. I can tell difference fella. Who are you?
Who are *you*? I am saying that most people won't be able to scientifically prove in a double blind test to be able to tell from DD 5.1 full bitrate and uncompressed PCM 5.1 *while they are playing a game*.

If you want to understand what I'm talking about, go visit Hydrogenaudio. Otherwise, be happy with uncompressed sound and I'll keep on enjoying both uncompressed PCM 5.1 and DD 5.1.

Top Bottom