• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey in-store demo thoughts?

Anyone tried the demo yet at one of the Nintendo kiosks? I played it at Walmart today and found it super fun in the limited time I got to play it. What does everyone else think that got to play it?

No recent demo builds in the UK but I've played Odyssey a handful of times and I truly believe it could be one of the best games of all time. Had so much fun.

I was happy to see it on the kiosk at Best Buy today. I don't usually check them, but my friend was scrolling through the games and I leaned in to see if anything upcoming was featured, and immediately grabbed the controllers from him.

It was just about what I expected it to be, but I had fun messing around for a good 15-20 minutes. If there's a time limit, I didn't hit it, but I walked away after feeling satisfied.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the info on this game outside of trailers, so I was a little surprised at the controls (mostly how many of the actions are duplicated on different buttons).

Played it at Best Buy.

It was alright but Mario's standard movement felt a bit slow.

I agree with this, too. I think he builds momentum as you push the stick forward, but I wished it had a little more oomph. I don't want to get into the run button discussion, but they could map that to one of the duplicated moves taken up by face/shoulder buttons.

That said, his rolling maneuver was fun to perform, combining it with the long jump felt satisfying, and i had no difficulty figuring out the other moves whole playing around at the opening of the world.

OmegaFax

I played it for a minute before I had to leave the store. I was surprised they had a kiosk setup this past weekend. I got about the same impression about Mario's speed.

I mentioned this somewhere else but the resolution of the game looked a bit underwhelming. I think the kind of TV they used and amping up the brightness/contrast/DNR on their display TVs probably do the game a disservice.

It's basically the breath of fresh air the series needed from a creative standpoint. It's standing on a really strong game mechanics foundation that feels like an authentic Mario game. The idea of using Mario's hat in a bunch of different scenarios is a great example of Nintendo taking a compelling game mechanic and building an entire game around it. For those reasons, it's going to be really popular.

I'm not sure it's going to have staying power, though. Unlike Breath of the Wild, the world design isn't a huge revelation in organic map design (the core area of New Donk City is surprisingly compact), and so the ongoing "fun" of the game is going to largely boil down to how much you like finding collectibles and completing missions. I don't really enjoy going through the missions on replays of Mario 64 and Sunshine, so for that reason I could see my opinion of the game souring over time. It'll depend on how fun the game is if you just try to find things to explore around the world.

I would blame Nintendo more. It's annoying as hell when they make a demo for in stores but don't make it available to download.

The in-store demos are made for consumers on the fence about purchasing a Switch.

An eShop demo for Super Mario Odyssey would win an award for "Most Unnecessary Demo of All Time" if such a category existed.

Played it during the Nintendo World Championship Qualifiers and PAX West. Played both the city and desert levels.

It's really fun. You literally get rewarded for just about anything! Throw your cap anywhere and see where it sticks! Collect the special coins to get some cool unlockables, and much more!

Basically, this game will be a blast.

The in-store demos are made for consumers on the fence about purchasing a Switch.

An eShop demo for Super Mario Odyssey would win an award for "Most Unnecessary Demo of All Time" if such a category existed.
That's all 100% true.

But I still want them to put out a demo.

If it were on the eShop too, they could technically have in-store demos everywhere, like at those rooftop parties from the commercials.

Demo?
*Looks for link for download*
Oh...
718.gif

JP

Dammit, how could anybody choose that as a thread title and not think it was a bad idea?

still it is weird Nintendo rarely has demos for 1st party AAA games
it is madness

After 3D World, they need a demo so 3D Mario fans know this one is worth checking out.

I wasted money on 3D World... Worst 3D Mario.

Lylo

I played it at E3 and it was pure joy, there's not much more to add to be honest, every Switch owner should buy this game as soon as it come out. GOAT material IMO.

This. Store demos are to sell the system for those on the fence, eShop demos are for games you might be on the fence about.
After 3D World, they need a demo so 3D Mario fans know this one is worth checking out.

3D World is the most 3D Mario game to date, far more than 64/Sunshine ever were (and I love Sunshine).

It was also a really good game.

Dyle

Looking forward to stopping by Best Buy to see if they have it, if not then no biggie, I can wait

You monster

OmegaDL50

People actually thought there was a demo in the Eshop???
Come.
on.

There have been multiple demos for a few unreleased at the time games.

Notably Splatoon 2, ARMS and Octopath Traveller (and Lost Sphear in Japan)

So why would a Super Mario Odyssey demo be an exception when these other demos were also on the eShop.

NateDrake

There have been multiple demos for a few unreleased at the time games.

Notably Splatoon 2, ARMS and Octopath Traveller (and Lost Sphear in Japan)

So why would a Super Mario Odyssey demo be an exception when these other demos were also on the eShop.

2/3 of those were Global Tests.

kc44135

360, and mario has more moves than in any of those games I believe.

Oh, awesome! I was wondering about this actually, as I kinda hated the Digital movement in the 3D games. Always just felt restrictive and imprecise. Now that they've fixed that, I'd say this actually stands a chance of being the second best Mario game to date!
Sunshine will always be the best, of course.

Top Bottom