• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey in-store demo thoughts?

Wamb0wneD

Do you even know what the fuck I'm asking about? Play 3D World and Galaxy and come back to me with the difference in movement you notice. I'll wait.

I do know what you're asking about, but even the first trailer would answer your question. Maybe you don't want to spoil yourself but even in some random gifs you can clearly see that it's not like 3D world. Didn't want to come across as rude, calm down please. The question just came across as outlandish af after all these months of footage.

Also, I think Mario is slower now because tbey want you to use the roll. People said the same thing about sunshine and now people can beat it in an hour.

Designers must have thoroughly enjoyed Tropical Freeze from the sound of it.

The more I learn about this game, the less I am inclined to even bother which sucks because I have been wanting to get behind another 3D Mario game since the Galaxy series.

Designers must have thoroughly enjoyed Tropical Freeze from the sound of it.

The more I learn about this game, the less I am inclined to even bother which sucks because I have been wanting to get behind another 3D Mario game since the Galaxy series.

...that's the opposite of what I was implying. If anything mario has a huge huge range of moves and mobility. It's a clear evolution of those games, especially galaxy.

For some reason, I couldn't jump if Mario was running... Which obviously really ruins a Mario game. Soooo... my thoughts are pretty negative until they fix the controllers on that kiosk.

No recent demo builds in the UK but I've played Odyssey a handful of times and I truly believe it could be one of the best games of all time. Had so much fun.

Hype rising....GOAT

I was meaning to ask, do you have your own channel? I noticed you were on gameXplain.

An eShop demo for Super Mario Odyssey would win an award for "Most Unnecessary Demo of All Time" if such a category existed.

Not necessarily true if you don't look at it though the eyes of a diehard Nintendo fan that has played all their franchises front and back. Just look at how BotW was the first Zelda game for so many people, even here on GAF, and most didn't know what to expect.

Wamb0wneD

Not necessarily true if you don't look at it though the eyes of a diehard Nintendo fan that has played all their franchises front and back. Just look at how BotW was the first Zelda game for so many people, even here on GAF, and most didn't know what to expect.

And they bought the game without a demo being available no? One could argue that even more people would have done that with a demo available but I don't know if that's worth the risk of people datamining and other stuff.

I think it's a controller problem... but the kiosk had two sets of joy-cons and the problem was present on both sets. So really bad luck on my part.

Yeah, that sounds like it would ruin the gameplay completely. Obviously there was something wrong there, as you absolutely can jump while running.

For what it's worth, the kiosk I played on had both a set of split joycons and a pair in the joycon controller cradle thing, and only the split joycons could make Mario jump at all (both controller sets could be used to control Mario at the same time too).

I imagine these are just kiosk issues, sad as that may be considering the one I used wasn't even there a few weeks ago.

KrawlMan

Why don't they release this on the eShop? I never understood why these demos are exclusive to the stores.

Could be that the demo units house the full game with some adjustments to the playable scope, and they don't want that full game data in the hands of consumers, especially the savvy modding community.

RagnarokX

...that's the opposite of what I was implying. If anything mario has a huge huge range of moves and mobility. It's a clear evolution of those games, especially galaxy.

This is a really weird thing that keeps coming up. Galaxy had the most limited moveset of the 3D Mario games. 3D World is second behind Sunshine, and many of the moves in Odyssey are an evolution of moves from 3D World, such as the roll and throwing hat (boomerang). Odyssey adds the dive and triple jump, though technically 3D World had a dive move with the cat powerup.

3D World standard moveset:
MassiveLastingAss.gif

BotW is probably the worst example you could have used. That game will end up selling 10 million copies or more. With no demo.

My initial statement is true, trust me. It has nothing to do with being a diehard Nintendo fan or not. Super Mario Odyssey is going to sell an insane amount of copies this holiday and beyond without any eShop demo. The public has, for the most part, already been convinced.

There are certain games that will never, ever need a downloadable demo. Ever. Put a Mario demo in stores to convince certain consumers to invest in the system and you're good to go.

This is a really weird thing that keeps coming up. Galaxy had the most limited moveset of the 3D Mario games. 3D World is second behind Sunshine, and many of the moves in Odyssey are an evolution of moves from 3D World, such as the roll and throwing hat (boomerang). Odyssey adds the dive and triple jump, though technically 3D World had a dive move with the cat powerup.

3D World standard moveset:
MassiveLastingAss.gif

Sure, but the the dynamics of the run button being removed completely changes the feel to be dissimilar to 3D World.

RagnarokX

Sure, but the the dynamics of the run button being removed completely changes the feel to be dissimilar to 3D World.

Run button isn't a major difference. Going less than full-speed isn't something you do often if ever, and pushing the stick all the way is no different from running with the run button pressed. All it really changes is giving nostalgic tactile feedback and makes it easier to walk if you want to. And holding the run button in 3D World still gives you analog run speed control (holding the button and gently tilting will make you walk). You play Mario 64 or sunshine you long jump and dive everywhere, in 3D World you roll, long jump, claw swipe, and dive everywhere and do badass shit like this:
ExcitableCavernousIberianmidwifetoad.gif

ggx2ac

It's looks like there's going to be a bang bus... err I mean, a banging trailer... err I mean... You'll get to come inside Mario... uhh... Here's what I mean.

SMO_trailer_hirez.jpg

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Journeys-Country-Celebrate-Launch-Super-Mario

Before Mario explores the many wild and wonderful Kingdoms of the Super Mario Odyssey game when it launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch system on Oct. 27, he is taking off on a cross-country tour to explore some wild and wonderful locations in our world. Mario’s real-life odyssey starts in Los Angeles at Universal CityWalk on Oct. 10 and ends in New York on Oct. 26, with many exciting stops in between.

By visiting one of the many stops on his journey, fans will have the chance to meet the Mario costumed character, take photos with him and his amazing decked-out trailer, and get hands-on time with Super Mario Odyssey on Nintendo Switch.

Mario will travel in style in a custom trailer featuring Super Mario Odyssey artwork, including a giant inflatable Cappy! At the scheduled stops noted below, fans can visit the trailer, take the Nintendo Switch game for a spin and even snap a memorable photo with Mario and his trailer.

There's more details in the link, they're stopping at LA, Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York.

And they bought the game without a demo being available no? One could argue that even more people would have done that with a demo available but I don't know if that's worth the risk of people datamining and other stuff.

I'm not saying a demo is necessary. I'm saying it's not pointless.

BotW is probably the worst example you could have used.

I did so very much intentionally. Any other game, you would have countered that Odyssey is a more awaited game. :)

That game will end up selling 10 million copies or more. With no demo.

Again, that's not quite my argument. My argument is that not everyone that owns a Switch has ever played a Zelda game, and the same is true for Mario.

My initial statement is true, trust me.

"Trust me" is not a very convincing argument.

It has nothing to do with being a diehard Nintendo fan or not. Super Mario Odyssey is going to sell an insane amount of copies this holiday and beyond without any eShop demo.

So your argument is that literally everyone with a Switch is going to buy it, or that people who aren't going to buy it, would not buy it even if there was a demo?

The public has, for the most part, already been convinced.

There are certain games that will never, ever need a downloadable demo. Ever. Put a Mario demo in stores to convince certain consumers to invest in the system and you're good to go.

I'm sorry but you failed to prove or even argue for that. The argument isn't "it will sell a lot"; it's "it may sell even more with a demo". Hell, I'm not even categorically saying it will; I'm saying we can't know.

I got to play this and holy shit this controls like a DREAM!!!! Never has mario felt so good and he has a bunch of new moves too. Now I used the joycons separately which meant lots and lots of waggle. Mario can now roll on the floor to cover distances quickly which you do by waggle. You can dive from a high jump straight down into a roll by waggling in the air. He can also butt stop jump for extra height. You can chain some of these moves together, it just feels so damn good to play.

But all of that is nothing compared to the hat! The hat is so useful and so damn fun to use, it's as good a new move as Mario has ever had. You press y to throw it and you can hold it down to keep it in place and then use waggle to move it where you want. You can launchbit straight up or down. You can spin it around you. You can hold it in place and jump on it like a platform. The hat replaces the spin attack, it attacks enemies, it transforms into enemies, it does everything. I want the hat in every mario game.

The Mexico level is quite big but there is lots of empty space, so I stuck to the populated areas. The small Mexican town is cool, there are little secrets all over like a warp pipe on a rooftop that takes you to a mini game room (with the SMB3 mushroom house music) where I had to feel for rumble and then ground point that spot for a moon. Not exactly the most riveting objective, hopefully that is not a sign of things to come. I also found this koppa in the desert that gave me a mini game where you follow arrows that made a circle as closely as you can but midway the arrows disappear so you need to estimate where you should be running, get close to the actual circle and you win a moon. Some moons were in hard to reach places, quite a few I couldn't reach at the moment, so I assume there is a transformation or level altering switch I had not reached.

There was a main objective which was the tower we all saw at e3. This was fun as it let me take over a bullet bill and enter a few 2D levels which felt great too. Then after I got that moon it immediately gave me a mission to reach the stone dude with the glasses for another moon. There were these platforms way up high that you get on and they start moving toward that statue area and you can use the hat to reach coins, some tricky moments there. My demo time ended there.

The game feels perfect to play, even though everything I tried out was very easy all the actions can be handled in expert ways with advanced moves to reach the goals quickly. I saw a bunch of stuff I couldnt reach or do yet, the want to explore is very high. I want to go back later to play some more, it's sooooo good.

My only fear is the same fear I had with BOTW, will most of the game world be filled with dumb mundane tasks like the rumble butt stomp or great levels like the tower. That balance is what will determine how good this game is for me. But mechanically it's perfection.

Played some more I sped run the first mission (the speed runs in this game will be legendary) so that I can see the next mission. The next one was the one with the statue with the special glasses, basically it's an area of the map with some purple goo of death and 5 moon shards you need to find around it. There are invisible platforms leading to some shards which you use the statue to see then hop out and run on the invisible platforms to the shards. Basic stuff that I can see expanded into some clever levels. I did notice some beams of light in the distance that I could only see with the glasses, the secrets are everywhere.

After finding the five pieces I unlocked the inverted pyramid which would lead to a boss fight. I took off as fast as I could to it but I got distracted by some stuff like a skeleton in a pen who needed to find his five goats and bring them back. There was a human with a car frozen in ice, not sure what he needed. I almost made it to the door of the pyramid before the demo ended.

So this world had three main moons, which are the equivalent of the missions in past mario games. I am certain later in the game there will be more. Still that means there are a ton of moons that are acquired by the mini games and secrets. My fear is if the ratio of great missions/ levels to filler moons is way out of wack. That said the controls are so good exploration should be a joy and for many players that's enough (as evidence by zelda BOTW reaction).

I'm sorry but you failed to prove or even argue for that. The argument isn't "it will sell a lot"; it's "it may sell even more with a demo". Hell, I'm not even categorically saying it will; I'm saying we can't know.

There's a reason most high profile games don't have demos tied to them anymore. Downloadable demos tend to help low profile releases (unless the demo or the game itself is subpar) and either harm or have little to no effect on high profile ones. Strong marketing and the overall "hype cycle" are far more powerful than a demo.

This video goes into more detail (Outcome #9 applies to Odyssey).

Jigolo

I got to play this and holy shit this controls like a DREAM!!!! Never has mario felt so good and he has a bunch of new moves too. Now I used the joycons separately which meant lots and lots of waggle. Mario can now roll on the floor to cover distances quickly which you do by waggle. You can dive from a high jump straight down into a roll by waggling in the air. He can also butt stop jump for extra height. You can chain some of these moves together, it just feels so damn good to play.

But all of that is nothing compared to the hat! The hat is so useful and so damn fun to use, it's as good a new move as Mario has ever had. You press y to throw it and you can hold it down to keep it in place and then use waggle to move it where you want. You can launchbit straight up or down. You can spin it around you. You can hold it in place and jump on it like a platform. The hat replaces the spin attack, it attacks enemies, it transforms into enemies, it does everything. I want the hat in every mario game.

The Mexico level is quite big but there is lots of empty space, so I stuck to the populated areas. The small Mexican town is cool, there are little secrets all over like a warp pipe on a rooftop that takes you to a mini game room (with the SMB3 mushroom house music) where I had to feel for rumble and then ground point that spot for a moon. Not exactly the most riveting objective, hopefully that is not a sign of things to come. I also found this koppa in the desert that gave me a mini game where you follow arrows that made a circle as closely as you can but midway the arrows disappear so you need to estimate where you should be running, get close to the actual circle and you win a moon. Some moons were in hard to reach places, quite a few I couldn't reach at the moment, so I assume there is a transformation or level altering switch I had not reached.

There was a main objective which was the tower we all saw at e3. This was fun as it let me take over a bullet bill and enter a few 2D levels which felt great too. Then after I got that moon it immediately gave me a mission to reach the stone dude with the glasses for another moon. There were these platforms way up high that you get on and they start moving toward that statue area and you can use the hat to reach coins, some tricky moments there. My demo time ended there.

The game feels perfect to play, even though everything I tried out was very easy all the actions can be handled in expert ways with advanced moves to reach the goals quickly. I saw a bunch of stuff I couldnt reach or do yet, the want to explore is very high. I want to go back later to play some more, it's sooooo good.

My only fear is the same fear I had with BOTW, will most of the game world be filled with dumb mundane tasks like the rumble butt stomp or great levels like the tower. That balance is what will determine how good this game is for me. But mechanically it's perfection.

You're in SoFla right? Which Best Buy has the demo?

Dereck

Called a couple of places and no dice for a playable demo, can't stand when other GAFers just live in an area that coincidentally has the thing that I don't have and I get excited.

Just played it. Gamestop Union Square NYC has it no line or anything which was cool.

Thoughts on controls:

Mario "Feels" slower, but I don't think this a bad change, and only because the momentum system is now much more realistic. By this I mean that if Mario is at the bottom of a hill you will take a lot longer to go uphill and vis versa like in real life. If you are rolling down a steep hill you will go faster than any (non-broken) movement in Sunshine, besides the dive slide, I'd say. I don't know if this is a good change or not, but seems like they want to incentivize you using hills to run down and the roll and the hat bounce/dive. With his huge moveset it felt incredible to control after some adjustment. I think people think Mario HAS to control exactly like Sunshine or 64 when this new style takes the best of Sunshine and adds more options. Most people probably know this but side flip, back flip, triple jump, long jump, are all in.

Thoughts on Tosterena design in general:

besides a few spots that were just kinda expanses of sand (though they probably had hidden doors in the crevasses/canyons), which actually is not common and you dont see that in other kingdoms really, it was jam packed full of moons and side content that you could leisurely go to without doing the main mission moon, though this does keep some of the ice frozen. I played a fun Moai puzzle area and a decently difficult bullet bill challenge area to get moons. I didn't do the main content, I was happy just running around looking for stuff.

Happened to swing by a GameStop today and was surprised they had it.

Unfortunately the joycons were synced completely wrong, and the menu is blocked for demo stands of course, so I had to play holding the grip and one of the free joycons. Every employee that walked by said, "you know you can just use one right?" Lol.

Anyway, it was fun, I didn't really feel like I was able to get into it standing there, but I'm glad I got to check it out at least a bit. But I can say it controls very smoothly considering the way I was having to play it.

Menitta

I managed to get some time in at my local Target. From a few minutes of gameplay, it feels excellent. Mario's movement is a nice happy medium between Galaxy and Sunshine. Not too fast and loose but not too stiff at the same time. I didn't have enough time to really try out a lot of the things I wanted to because I was with someone at the time, but in general it feels fucking great.

One thing I don't like (and this is specific to how much I like Sunshine) is the dive. I don't like the command. ZL+Y makes it weird to do at first, and it being mapped to the same button as groundpound is weird. I'll get used to it when it comes out though.

Overall, I'm now way more hyped than i was prior to playing it, which was already a lot. I did manage to see the list of basic actions which was in the options menu. There's a bunch of movement options in that game, which is exactly what I want. Mario Odyssey is gonna be great. Can't fucking wait.

I was at Gamestop today, and to my surprise saw a Switch kiosk. I don't own a Switch and have never played one, so I was in mild shock once I saw it. Only played the Mario demo, and wow....this is a winner. I enjoyed 3D World, but this taking that 64 itch to a whole new level.

Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game, so I might be a bit biased in regards to a game like this lol. This game is gonna be one of those games where you'll be at work/school, and think, "man can't wait until I have some time to play some Odyssey".

Just played it. Gamestop Union Square NYC has it no line or anything which was cool.

Thoughts on controls:

Mario "Feels" slower, but I don't think this a bad change, and only because the momentum system is now much more realistic. By this I mean that if Mario is at the bottom of a hill you will take a lot longer to go uphill and vis versa like in real life. If you are rolling down a steep hill you will go faster than any (non-broken) movement in Sunshine, besides the dive slide, I'd say. I don't know if this is a good change or not, but seems like they want to incentivize you using hills to run down and the roll and the hat bounce/dive. With his huge moveset it felt incredible to control after some adjustment. I think people think Mario HAS to control exactly like Sunshine or 64 when this new style takes the best of Sunshine and adds more options. Most people probably know this but side flip, back flip, triple jump, long jump, are all in.

Thoughts on Tosterena design in general:

besides a few spots that were just kinda expanses of sand (though they probably had hidden doors in the crevasses/canyons), which actually is not common and you dont see that in other kingdoms really, it was jam packed full of moons and side content that you could leisurely go to without doing the main mission moon, though this does keep some of the ice frozen. I played a fun Moai puzzle area and a decently difficult bullet bill challenge area to get moons. I didn't do the main content, I was happy just running around looking for stuff.

I know where I'm headed tomorrow.

Eusis

The eight directional movement was the only thing I really disliked about Super Mario 3D World. I hope they never bring it back.
It should remain highly situational. The SM3D games were largely built around that kind of control and perspective, but everything else was more free form.

I was hoping to find one at BestBuy when I went for the PSVR, but it only had the video demo, same for the Walmart next door. Where can I usually find these?

Man, I remember being younger and being so excited to try out any demos at my local Toy R Us or whatever. Probably not going to go out of my way for this one though.

Top Bottom