• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey in-store demo thoughts?

Guys please, I need to know this:

HOW IS THE LONG JUMP?

The long jump is my go to movement mechanic in 64 and especially Galaxy because it's one of the most satisfactory gameplay mechanics ever. It being so neutered in the 3D series sucked.

Just played it and loved it, graphics are a bit rough but honestly not too bad. Hype is up.

Also biggest annoyance is that you have to use motion controls, wish everything could be pulled off with buttons.

Playing Odyssey demo right now at Best Buy in Mall of America. Game is amazing, capturing Bullet Bills and going into 2D pixel mode, man everything just feels sooooo good. Control is so smooth. And Tostarena Desert is a great level. I just finished the Tallest Tower and part of Moon Shards in the Sand (Moai capture mission).

Yzochlv.jpg

WERFYEY.jpg

1lNQGNK.jpg

bumpkin

I caved and played the demo today... So good. I can't believe I need to wait almost three more weeks for it. :(

Just played it and loved it, graphics are a bit rough but honestly not too bad. Hype is up.

Also biggest annoyance is that you have to use motion controls, wish everything could be pulled off with buttons.

Once you get to some of the buildings it looks quite good. But I agree the sand could look better. Not sure why this level is the level they love to show, cascade kingdom for example is way more appealing visually.

Just got done playing the demo for the third time and completed Moon Shards in the Sand mission. People watching and playing the game were really into it and having a good time, lots of smiles. Also fun observation, they had three Switch systems next to the demo kiosk and by the time I was about to leave two of them had sold.

xboxster

I heard the demo might be coming to the North Central WV area. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next week or so.

Right now, I'm not aware of a single store in the area that has a demo kiosk.

Move the whole switch? From what I can tell the only way to do most of the cappy moves is with motion controls.

We've known since E3 that the motion controls are optional, there are button presses to replace them, although it's reportedly more fiddly.

Poster on the other demo thread claimed that motion controls allowed a greater degree of Cappy control, although it may just seem that way as motion is more intuitive, and button control takes more practice. We'll find out soon enough which is better, but it's safe to assume that no-one will be shaking their undocked Switch in the air just to play the game.

We've known since E3 that the motion controls are optional, there are button presses to replace them, although it's reportedly more fiddly.

Poster on the other demo thread claimed that motion controls allowed a greater degree of Cappy control, although it may just seem that way as motion is more intuitive, and button control takes more practice. We'll find out soon enough which is better, but it's safe to assume that no-one will be shaking their undocked Switch in the air just to play the game.

I looked in the pause menu and a lot of the cappy moves couldn't be done with buttons. It could be an option I didn't know about, but none of the moves were "necessary. " So I don't really know? Examples are throwing your hat in a circles or rolling it on the ground. If anyone else can figure it out I'd like to know.

Jubenhimer

Actually, from the looks of it. Motion Controls are omnipresent. While every action can be done with buttons, most actions in the game (particularly with captured objects/enemies) have boosted effects when using motion controls. For a bullet bill, you can press A to accellerate, but shaking the controller/system allows you to accellerate faster. So it's not like you can flip a switch and turn them off, the game really wants you to use motion controls by rewarding smart use of them.

Magnus

Wtf, I'm surprised this isn't major news on GAF. We have threads for lesser things than a demo available for the next Mario game. I'll definitely try to swing by Best Buy this week to give it a go.

These people are known as blind

Its not in the demo but the beach level has some rough textures

Also cascade kingdom looks odd with the photorealistic grass texture and very little actual grass

Not a fan of the humans in the metro kingdom.

The desert and cap kingdom look fantastic though. Overall the art direction is good but a step down from galaxy or even 3D world imo.

Its not in the demo but the beach level has some rough textures

Also cascade kingdom looks odd with the photorealistic grass texture and very little actual grass

Not a fan of the humans in the metro kingdom.

The desert and cap kingdom look fantastic though. Overall the art direction is good but a step down from galaxy or even 3D world imo.

I agree with this. Very odd design choices in parts of odyssey. Sorta makes me wish for a galaxy collection even more now.

Berordn

Actually, from the looks of it. Motion Controls are omnipresent. While every action can be done with buttons, most actions in the game (particularly with captured objects/enemies) have boosted effects when using motion controls. For a bullet bill, you can press A to accellerate, but shaking the controller/system allows you to accellerate faster. So it's not like you can flip a switch and turn them off, the game really wants you to use motion controls by rewarding smart use of them.

Functions like the speed boosts also have button controls based on my time with the E3 demo.

Jubenhimer

Functions like the speed boosts also have button controls based on my time with the E3 demo.
Yeah, you can boost normally with a button press. But using motion controls amplifies the effect. You can do most everything with buttons, but motion controls are required for stronger variations of them. Throwing frying pans as hammer bro is another example. The Y button let's you throw one pan at atime, but shaking the controller lets you throw them at a much faster rate.

Tyeforce

What they’re saying is that you can shake the Joy-Con in addition to holding the button in order to get an additional level of boost. So you can boost with a button press, but shaking the Joy-Con gives you an additional boost on top of that.

EDIT: Beaten, lol.

Yeah, you can boost normally with a button press. But using motion controls amplifies the effect. You can do most everything with buttons, but motion controls are required for stronger variations of them. Throwing frying pans as hammer bro is another example. The Y button let's you throw one pan at atime, but shaking the controller lets you throw them at a much faster rate.

The only thing that i've seen that is not an "additional" effect is when controlling a cheep cheep, where you have to shake the joy-cons/pro controller to attack, and i don't know if there is any way to do that through buttons.

ss_lemonade

Graphics only looked rough to me because the demo kiosk TVs in Best Buy have the brightness and sharpness jacked up to maximum

BigDug13

I really doubt Nintendo would force motion controls on this game and make it so that there are some moves you can't pull off in portable mode without shaking your whole system. I just don't see that happening. There HAS to be some way to do these moves with buttons.

Jubenhimer

I really doubt Nintendo would force motion controls on this game and make it so that there are some moves you can't pull off in portable mode without shaking your whole system. I just don't see that happening. There HAS to be some way to do these moves with buttons.

Shaking the whole Switch in handheld mode isn't really that impractical. The Switch is pretty small, so it should feel fine. There's motion-based tablet games by the dozen and nobody complains about those.

Tyeforce

There really are moves that you can only pull off with motion controls. I doubt any of them will end up being necessary, though.

Kindekuma

Banned
I finally get to go to my local Best Buy, they had the demo station all set up and whatnot. Except the Switch unit nor the TV was on and working, do it was just there to collect dust. On a weekend day too no less, I'm peeved.

The demo was fun, it was a Mario game, so if you like Mario games you will like this. I will say the graphics are meh, but it is good for the type of game that it is.
I seen some others play it, nobody seemed excited, nobody seemed bored..but they were older and maybe jaded lol.

I looked in the pause menu and a lot of the cappy moves couldn't be done with buttons. It could be an option I didn't know about, but none of the moves were "necessary. " So I don't really know? Examples are throwing your hat in a circles or rolling it on the ground. If anyone else can figure it out I'd like to know.

i was able to use the have the cap spin around you after you throw it with the joy con in the grip

Work is flying me across the country to a conference on October 28th. I just remembered this game comes out October 27th. It's going to be a good flight.

Jubenhimer

So I recently tried it at my nearest Game Stop, and I liked what I played so far. Though it was a bit tough to manage the camera. What really sold me was HD Rumble. I saw potential in it before, but Odyssey showed me just how immersive it can actually be. I especially noticed it when I got to the moving platforms. The tingling buzz as they move along the path felt impressive.

Tyeforce

Did it today, cool, so I assume there are also ways to throw your hat down and throw it in the air, it’ll just take some experimentation.
I don’t believe there is. Most actions can be used by either motion or button controls, but some are exclusive to motion (like tossing Cappy upward), and at least one action is exclusive to buttons (holding A after throwing out Cappy to make him hover in place).

I don’t believe there is. Most actions can be used by either motion or button controls, but some are exclusive to motion (like tossing Cappy upward), and at least one action is exclusive to buttons (holding A after throwing out Cappy to make him hover in place).

I also believe that you can also direct Cappy after you've thrown it with some gestures.

Madness! 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario. In fact, I kind of doubt Odyssey will top it. Still excited as hell.

This is so odd to me.

I love 2D Mario. I love 3D Mario.

I cannot stand 3D Land or 3D World. The gameplay just isn't fun to me. They remind me of shitty early 3D platformers from before devs figured out what does and doesn't work well in 3D gameplay.

This is so odd to me.

I cannot stand 3D Land or 3D World. The gameplay just isn't fun to me. They remind me of shitty early 3D platformers from before devs figured out what does and doesn't work well in 3D gameplay.

That's a shame as the back 3rd of 3D World and bonus worlds is quite fun. Maybe it's cause I only played solo, but I thought the style worked well (for one game at least...).

Dipship31

I still can't believe we're getting this and already got another major Nintendo IP new game within 7 months of their new console

This is so odd to me.

I didn't really like 3D Land because I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious at the time, so I didn't pick up 3D World until I managed to get a discount via My Nintendo rewards and after its price cut to $20. After playing it I'd say that 3D World (at least in my opinion) is masterclass game design. Everything about it plays so well; Level design is very tight, each level introduces a mechanic that keeps the experience fresh despite asset reuse, and the music is much better than 3D Land's. Some of the later levels in the post game are also somewhat difficult, which I liked a lot. I like 2D Mario (not as much as 3D Mario though), but in terms of Mario's linear games I'd say that it ties with SMB3 easily.

Top Bottom