• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Mo'Nique wins an Oscar then just disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Oscar winning role in Precious was amazing, even scary. I was curious what happened to her and she basically didn't do a damn thing since, not what you expect after your name is in history with the greats

Dram

Maybe it didn't open any doors in Hollywood for her. Sort of like what happened with Cuba Gooding Junior.

Rembrandt

Banned
She had her talk show right after for 2 years and I just checked and she was in some Blackbird movie. Idk if she's a great actress or if that was just a great role for her. I enjoyed her in her earlier comedies, but this role was seemingly perfect for her and I'm interested to see if she can keep that level in quality in subsequent roles.

Lord Fagan

Well she is black and overweight so she is not exactly the type hollywood is looking for.

cc74036eb226429e9076d58eed92a80b.gif

royalan

She had her talk show right after for 2 years and I just checked and she was in some Blackbird movie. Idk if she's a great actress or if that was just a great role for her. I enjoyed her in her earlier comedies, but this role was seemingly perfect for her and I'm interested to see if she can keep that level in quality in subsequent roles.

...what?

Because all black actors just have a natural affinity for churning out Oscar-caliber performances when playing impoverished, down-on-your-luck and violent, angry characters?

Mo'Nique, up to that point, had been a comedic actress (hell, not even a traditional actress. All of her roles up to that point were just extensions of the of the personality she put on in her comedy rutines). Her biggest credit before Precious was starring in a WB sitcom.

So no, that role wasn't exactly tailor-made or "seemingly perfect" for her.

Well she is black and overweight so she is not exactly the type hollywood is looking for.

Yup. And refuses to even consider losing weight, and has jumped on the "it's ok to be obese" train.

But to be fair even if she lost weight she'd still be a black woman in Hollywood, and thus irrelevant. In 2-3 years someone will make a thread exactly like this about Lupita.

...what?

Because all black actors just have a natural affinity for churning out Oscar-caliber performances when playing impoverished, down-on-your-luck and violent, angry characters?

Mo'Nique, up to that point, had been a comedic actress (hell, not even a traditional actress. All of her roles up to that point were just extensions of the of the personality she put on in her comedy rutines). Her biggest credit before Precious was starring in a WB sitcom.

Wow man, you are looking for something that clearly wasn't there in that post.

...what?

It looks like you misread what the guy said and created some rage pos about nothing he said.
Good job.

Yup. And refuses to even consider losing weight, and has jumped on the "it's ok to be obese" train.

But to be fair even if she lost weight she'd still be a black woman in Hollywood, and thus irrelevant. In 2-3 years someone will make a thread exactly like this about Lupita.

Let's hope Lupita isn't killed off in E7.

I was going to make a Marisa Tomei joke but her resume kind of puts Mo'Nique's to shame.

I also wonder how many posters are going to get confused as to who the actual character Mo'Nique was in Precious.

Rembrandt

Banned
...what?

Right, such a racist post and he didn't even know it

ya'll serious, though? even in her comedic roles, she's played brash, sarcastic kinda mean characters, that's why I said it seemed like a perfect fit for her. stop reaching.

ya'll serious, though? even in her comedic roles, she's played brash, sarcastic kinda mean characters, that's why I said it seemed like a perfect fit for her. stop reaching.

I've seen her in her previous comedy movies, I couldn't even recognize her in Precious, something many critics pointed out. So no, she was not some obvious fit to play that role

royalan

Wow man, you are looking for something that clearly wasn't there in that post.

It looks like you misread what the guy said and created some rage pos about nothing he said.
Good job.

Didn't misread it at all. It's right there in their post.

Unless you both can come up with some other obvious reason that Mo'Nique of all people was "seemingly perfect" for that role. I'll sit here and wait. Anybody who followed Mo'Nique's career up to that point knows that her role in Precious was anything but "seemingly perfect" for her.

No, Mo'Nique worked her damn ass off studying and connecting to that character and turned in a jaw-dropping performance as a result of her hard work and talent. But for some reason people sure do love saying a POC was "tailor made for this" when they're playing a part that fits into the stereotypes associated with their race as an attempt to diminish the fact that POC can actually act.

Enzom21

Are you skeptical about how racist Hollywood is?

I think her being obese is just a small part of it, Melissa Mccarthy has a tv and gets quite a few starring roles.
Gabourey Sidibe seems to be doing fine.
She hasn't been the star of anything since Precious.

or just how an amazing talent like Angela Bassett rightly became a major movie star after her Oscar nominated breakthrough.

:(

I mean, if Angela flipping Bassett can't get much heat in her career, what chance did Mo'Nique have?

Rembrandt

Banned
I've seen her in her previous comedy movies, I couldn't even recognize her in Precious, something many critics pointed out. So no, she was not some obvious fit to play that role

I said it was seemingly perfect, not that she was an obvious fit for it. I definitely didn't imply black actors/actresses have to play an impoverished character to win Oscars either. I don't know where the fuck you got those implications from either.

Unless you both can come up with some other obvious reason that Mo'Nique of all people was "seemingly perfect" for that role. I'll sit here and wait. Anybody who followed Mo'Nique's career up to that point knows that her role in Precious was anything but "seemingly perfect" for her.

No, Mo'Nique worked her damn ass off studying and connecting to that character and turned in a jaw-dropping performance as a result of her hard work and talent. But for some reason people sure do love saying a POC was "tailor made for this" when they're playing a part that fits into their stereotypes of their race as an attempt to diminish the fact that POC can actually act.

Yeah, you're obviously taking something from my post that I didn't say. As a black man, what you're saying didn't even cross my mind, but it's funny to be grouped in as a racist. I wasn't trying to downplay the hard work she put into the role, but my experience with her as an actress has been roles where she's played sarcastic, kinda brash characters. the seemingly perfect comment was a compliment, man. chill out.

gogogow

Isn't Halle Berry a very successful actress in Hollywood?

No, Mo'Nique worked her damn ass off studying and connecting to that character and turned in a jaw-dropping performance as a result of her hard work and talent. But for some reason people sure do love saying an POC was "tailor made for this" when they're playing a part that fits into their stereotypes of their race as an attempt to diminish the fact that POC can actually act.

There is no rebuttal to this, but I'll be interested to see how he defneds his stereotyping

daviyoung

Banned
No, Mo'Nique worked her damn ass off studying and connecting to that character and turned in a jaw-dropping performance as a result of her hard work and talent. But for some reason people sure do love saying a POC was "tailor made for this" when they're playing a part that fits into their stereotypes of their race as an attempt to diminish the fact that POC can actually act.

the poster was obviously just making a comment on how convincing her performance was

you can put your back down now

Isn't Halle Berry a very successful actress in Hollywood?

Not really (and regardless, one actress doesn't equal a trend). Hasn't had the second breath to her career like the Bullocks and Jolies and is now doing a TV show. You know who else is doing a TV show right now? Viola Davis, who also won an Oscar.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000932/

Notice the types of roles she got after winning an Oscar. Bond Girl and X-Men sure, but nothing truly noteworthy or challenging.

royalan

I have and you guys are still reaching. Nowhere in my post did I come close to making the generalizations you're saying I did.

Well then I would just ask you then to think about how you phrase these things, and how you approach the subject, because this is actually a huge issue for minorities in Hollywood. They did this shit to Halle when she won for Monster's Ball; they did this shit to Denzel when he won for Training Day. They do this shit to practically EVERY Asian actress ever. Rarely do POC get credit for "stepping outside of themselves and really digging deep" and, you know, acting, when they play a role that fits into what society thinks of their race. So, the whole "this role was perfect for her!" is a definite sore spot.

Heck, it wasn't even my intent to attack you really. I was reading your post and scratching my head, wondering if you knew who Mo'Nique even was. There is absolutely nothing in Mo'Nique's resume prior to Precious that would lead you to believe that she would knock that role out of the park the way she did. That's what a lot of talk about her performance was about! "Wait...am I watching Mo'Nique right now???"

I mean what is there for her to do in current Hollywood? I feel like her role in Precious is about as good as it's going to get for an overweight, black actress. Like those are three things (weight, race, gender) that would hold back anyone in Hollywood, let alone anyone with all three.

It's sad but true.

Rembrandt

Banned
Well then I would just ask you then to think about how you phrase these things, and how you approach the subject, because this is actually a huge issue for minorities in Hollywood. They did this shit to Halle when she won for Monster's Ball; they did this shit to Denzel when he won for Training Day. They do this shit to practically EVERY Asian actress ever. Rarely do POC get credit for "stepping outside of themselves and really digging deep" when they play a role that fits into what society thinks of their race. So, the whole "this role was perfect for her!" is a definite sore spot.

Heck, it wasn't even my intent to attack you really. I was reading your posting and scratching my head, wondering if you knew who Mo'Nique even was. There is absolutely nothing in Mo'Nique's resume prior to Precious that would lead you to believe that she would knock that role out of the park the way she did. That's what a lot of talk about her performance was about! "Wait...am I watching Mo'Nique right now???"

once again, as a black man, I know this and since you now know my post wasn't intended to be like that, we don't really have anything else to discuss.

Camp Lo

Banned
I heard her on talk radio earlier this month and she's definitely losing some weight. She's back on the road doing her comedy thing; still making guap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom