• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: If you want your Nintendo games to do better, put some freakin' effort in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great new Miyamoto interview over at Newsweek where he takes publishers to task for putting their third-string dev teams on Wii and DS games, then complaining when the games don't outsell Nintendo's AAA titles:

the man said:
If there's only one piece of advice that I could give to the managers of third party companies, it would be that a lot of times it seems that when they're putting games out on Nintendo hardware, those games are being developed by their third-string team or their fourth-string team. Maybe that's because they see those products as being unique projects or somewhat smaller-scale projects. But when Nintendo puts out a title that is designed to really support and sell its hardware, that title is always developed by one of our number one teams. And so I think that when it comes to the question of trying to compete with our software, I would really like to see the parties try to do that with their number one teams rather than with the third- or fourth-string teams. (Laughs.)

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=549476

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ether.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think this word of advice can apply to many developers, and not just nintendo games. All ported games in general.

*cough ubisoft*

Kangu

Banned
Yup it's not Nintendo's fault you lazy ****s can't put the amount of effort Nintendo puts into tru-classic jems of gaming like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

gfdoom

he def' has a point i think no one can argue about. And whats more messed up is how even some of nintendo's 2nd and 3rd tier teams still put out better stuff than what the other developers can do.

Eteric Rice

Son of Godzilla said:
Yoshi's Island says Hi.

You mean the DS game? I don't know why there's so much hate on it, I really love it... Though I've yet to beat it. It's pretty tough.

And this coming from someone who has played 2D platformers for a looong time.

Kangu said:
Yup it's not Nintendo's fault you lazy ****s can't put the amount of effort Nintendo puts into tru-classic jems of gaming like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wario Ware Smooth Moves.
On a scale of one to drohne, I give this post somewhere around a Neutron Night. Try better next time.

nategc

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I think this word of advice can apply to many developers, and not just nintendo games. All ported games in general.

*cough ubisoft*

he wasn't talking about nintendo games, so i don't know where you read that from, he was talking about crappy third party efforts.

Eteric Rice

nategc said:
he wasn't talking about nintendo games, so i don't know where you read that from, he was talking about crappy third party efforts.

Yeah, stuff like Farcry: Vengence, Redsteel (which if they had given it more time, it would have been good), and other crappy efforts.

One thing I have to say about Square-Enix. They may be money hungry bastards, but even their shitty games are pretty good.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Oh man I thought that thread title was directed AT Miyamoto and I came in here ready for a freaking rumble

nategc

Banned
Kangu said:

Hey, theres a sony thread around the corner, I bet you if i pull that shit, i'll get banned by the sony fanboy mods....yea, i went there.

Monk

Banned
Wow. great interview. Problems also come from the fact that thrid parties dont even ship enough units of their games or market them enough. That is something i see changing though.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Jenny Majalca, publicist: We're out of time.

All right.

Miyamoto: I was a little late, so if you want to throw in one more you can. And my answers were long too. [Laughs.]

I would ordinarily, but I don't want to keep Reggie [Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America] waiting. Thank you very much for your time.

Trinen: You don't have to be afraid of Reggie. [Laughs]

He won't kick my ass and take my name? [Everyone laughs.] Thanks again.

He offered to answer another Q, and the interviewer refused?!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
nategc said:
Hey, theres a sony thread around the corner, I bet you if i pull that shit, i'll get banned by the sony fanboy mods....yea, i went there.
:lol

This thread will be good.

Nabs

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, stuff like Farcry: Vengence, Redsteel (which if they had given it more time, it would have been good), and other crappy efforts.

Red Steel was actually good.

nategc

Banned
chibcicylist said:

are you kidding me, i read the nights thread and there was like 7 pages of pure trolling, with a picture that say bringing the suckness, If anyone would of put a playstation 3 pic with those words, you think they wouldn't get banned?

but back on topic, Maybe third parties should just put more effort in wii support, it makes sense know, i mean geesh.

Eteric Rice

Nabs said:

From what I've heard, the controls were hard to get used to, and some levels looked good, while others looked really bad.

It was just released pre-mature. There IS a Red Steel 2 coming up, so they get a second chance, there.

Saitou

Banned
Nabs said:
IAWTP

As to the topic, I think Reggie should go on record about something like this. Cause he wouldn't mellow it like Shiggy here. Oh no siree.

reggiescaryface.jpg

nategc said:
are you kidding me, i read the nights thread and there was like 7 pages of pure trolling, with a picture that say bringing the suckness, If anyone would of put a playstation 3 pic with those words, you think they wouldn't get banned?
relax, im on your side and agree with you 100%.

Eteric Rice said:
From what I've heard, the controls were hard to get used to, and some levels looked good, while others looked really bad.

It was just released pre-mature. There IS a Red Steel 2 coming up, so they get a second chance, there.

You should give it a play, it might surprise you. The turning is a bit ass but the actual aiming is great fun. Plus the reload/open/etc gestures are cool and some parts look really nice.

J-Rzez

Attack You said:
Did Miyamoto just troll 3rd parties?

Yes, and we all know what happens when Ninty pisses off 3rd parties... (even though he is speaking the truth on the subject)

Kangu said:
"The weaker you are the louder you bark."

Nabs

Eteric Rice said:

Not really. I read that most people had trouble with the controls earlier on, but I found them to work similar to a keyboard and mouse. And the graphics ranged from good to pretty damn good (the levels looked better as you played on).

The game was a really good effort. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I almost didn't play it because of the negative impressions, but I'm glad I gave it a rent. Give me Red Steel 2 with online play & a good multi experience... its mine day 1.

It wouldn't hurt if Nintendo actually gave these devs a reason to actually try to make better software on their system, though, as opposed to saying, "Suck it up and try harder."

kirbutashi said:
It wouldn't hurt if Nintendo actually gave these devs a reason to actually try to make better software on their system, though, as opposed to saying, "Suck it up and try harder."

Like a 6 million+ and still rapidly growing userbase?

haircut

kirbutashi said:
what are you suggesting? moneyhats for positively reviewed games?

FightyF

Banned
kirbutashi said:

The only reason they really need to give developers is:

-Console Hardware Sales Numbers-

I understand that the console itself hasn't progressed in other areas...but look at cell phones, or the DS.

Hunahan

Banned
Yeah, guys! Learn how to port unused Gamecube projects like the big boys! Sheesh! Put some effort in!

Seriously, though, you only get the first string team with some serious green, Shiggster.

Time to buy some hats.

kirbutashi said:
better games = better sales = more money. wow, that was difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom