• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Study: Why Obama voters flipped to Trump...The Economy

Jas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...rs-a-worrisome-answer/?utm_term=.dc596260558f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/r/20...nion/Graphics/Post-election_Research_Deck.pdf

As the Democratic Party rebuilds itself for the 2018 and 2020 elections, Democratic strategists have been preoccupied with a pressing question: Why did so many voters who backed Barack Obama in 2012 switch to Donald Trump four years later, and what can be done to win them back?

Top Democratic pollsters have conducted private focus groups and polling in an effort to answer that question, and they shared the results with me.

One finding from the polling stands out: A shockingly large percentage of these Obama-Trump voters said Democrats’ economic policies will favor the wealthy — twice the percentage that said the same about Trump. I was also permitted to view video of some focus group activity, which showed Obama-Trump voters offering sharp criticism of Democrats on the economy.

Skepticism about the Democratic Party was echoed rather forcefully in the focus groups that I watched. In one, Obama-Trump voters were asked what Democrats stand for today and gave answers such as these:

“The one percent.”

“The status quo.”

“They’re for the party. Themselves and the party.”

One woman, asked whether the Democratic Party is for people like her, flatly declared: “Nope.”

Maxim726X

Still baffles me that so many people willingly vote against their own interest, and have no real knowledge about the Republican party platform.

Just, like, read for a few minutes. They don't even really hide it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder how these morons feel about Trump's proposed massive income and estate tax cuts for the wealthy.

Bill was right. It's the economy stupid. Well that and fear of minorities.

Edit: This election will end up being a ton of variables on why things went down the way they went down. But disenfranchised voters voting for someone that was not a politician as a protest vote is a large part of it. It will and is biting them in the ass and they will never learn.

Maxim726X

I wonder how these morons feel about Trump's proposed massive income and estate cuts for the wealthy.

How many people even know what the cutoff for the estate tax actually is?

Because if they really knew what it was, they wouldn't give a shit. Since it was rebranded as the 'death tax' and co-opted by politicians, no one even asks.

It's amazing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A shockingly large percentage of these Obama-Trump voters said Democrats’ economic policies will favor the wealthy — twice the percentage that said the same about Trump

Dumbasses.

Skepticism about the Democratic Party was echoed rather forcefully in the focus groups that I watched. In one, Obama-Trump voters were asked what Democrats stand for today and gave answers such as these:

“The one percent.”

“The status quo.”

One woman, asked whether the Democratic Party is for people like her, flatly declared: “Nope.”

And we can look forward to them running a legitimately anti-labor candidate in 2020 and getting wrecked yet again.

It's still the biggest paradox in US politics how the Republicans has the working class.

But I guess racism is very important for a large part of the USA.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He bankrupted like 6 companies, how can anyone want to trust the economy to him? Doesn't compute.

One of the main reasons people wanted W was that he was a businessman. Yes, really.

Prax

They "say" it's about the economy, but they mean it's about "lesser thans" (minorities) getting what they perceive as more than they think is fair and is theirs.

“The one percent.”

“The status quo.”

2e1.gif

Maxim726X

And we can look forward to them running a legitimately anti-labor candidate in 2020 and getting wrecked yet again.

Hate to bring this up from the dead- But I'm starting to think that a populist like Bernie is exactly what the party needs, and would probably be president right now had he been the Democratic nominee.

And before anyone says it- I supported Clinton from the word go, and thought Bernie was nothing but hot air and empty promises.

But I guess that's what people go to the polls for? I don't know.

Wha...how. How do you come to this conclusion.

How.

Trump's message was "I'll help the economy."

Clinton's message was "Donald Trump is a bad person and you are too if you vote for him."

Yeah, her policies are better for the economy. But her campaign never made the argument. Or at lease didn't push it a quarter as much as Trump's did. And yes, the media was complicit in letting Trump lie about this stuff. But Clinton's messaging was the worst I've seen since Martha Coakley lost to Scott Brown.

kirblar

It's still the biggest paradox in US politics how the Republicans has the working class.

But I guess racism is very important for a large part of the USA.
It's not just the US. Same pattern's shown up all over. Look at Labour's troubles in the UK - their "working class" base has abandoned them.

Hate to bring this up from the dead- But I'm starting to think that a populist like Bernie is exactly what the party needs, and would probably be president right now had he been the Democratic nominee.

And before anyone says it- I supported Clinton from the word go, and thought Bernie was nothing but hot air and empty promises.

Also worth considering that what brings people out to the primaries isn't what brings people out in the general.

Let's not over-complicate things. The thinking (for those who can be swayed) can be summed up as:

1. Obama has been president for 8 years, and my life hasn't gotten appreciably better.
2. I'm not voting D next time

That's it.

But Bernie and others totally didn't poison the well though.

I mean, who's main stance was all about the 1% and framing Hillary as such? Can't be the rich guy who's currently president.

Dem messaging sucked. Without a doubt, and it has before in other losing campaigns. And yeah, eight years of anything makes people earn for change.

However, can we stop acting like the well was totally clean though?

See here's why I don't believe that: these people aren't mad at Trump now, despite him stuffing his cabinet with wealthy bankers and oil execs and everything else

Like if they really cared about all of that, wouldn't we expect to hear them being upset?

There is a political expectation that the people holding higher office will be professionals with business experience.

Makonero

Let's not over-complicate things. The thinking (for those who can be swayed) can be summed up as:

1. Obama has been president for 8 years, and my life hasn't gotten appreciably better.

That's it.

yeah, that's pretty much it for a lot of folks

that and democrats not showing up at the polls

That's it.

3. Tell others to pull themselves up by their bootstraps
Racism

abundant

Still baffles me that so many people willingly vote against their own interest, and have no real knowledge about the Republican party platform.

Just, like, read for a few minutes. They don't even really hide it.

Hell, you don't even need to do that. Just watch one of the following...

Daily Show, Full Frontal, Last Week Tonight, Steven Colbert, or Seth Meyers...

And you'll have all the information you need to stay informed of what the GOP stand for.

SpecX

Trump's message was "I'll help the economy."

Clinton's message was "Donald Trump is a bad person and you are too if you vote for him."

Yeah, her policies are better for the economy. But her campaign never made the argument. Or at lease didn't push it a quarter as much as Trump's did. And yes, the media was complicit in letting Trump lie about this stuff. But Clinton's messaging was the worst I've seen since Martha Coakley lost to Scott Brown.

I agree on the surface that is what her campaign portrayed and it also didn't help with all the Hollywood sponsorship she received. She had plenty of time to fix this image and she didn't reach out to the working class.

It's because they are stupid!

'well, it's actually racism'

So, because they are stupid

'Well, it's actually sexism'

So, because they are stupid

'Well, actually it's because they believed Donald Trump would be good for the economy despite his business record'

So, because they are stupid.

Maxim726X

That's it.

Largely, yes.

Doesn't mean these fears couldn't have been addressed better, or more efficiently, by the Democratic party.

Shit, if she had just listened to Bill or Obama, things may have been different.

royalan

Trump promised to make the Economy better for a specific type of person. Where exactly do these Obama -> Trump voters come from again?

I'm sorry, but no.

If Bernie Sanders was the type of populist the party needed, he would have won. Point blank. Trump was the populist his party needed, and he won. Obama was the type of populist 2008 Dems needed, and he won.

Maybe Hillary Clinton wasn't the right candidate for the time, but then neither was the guy whose ass she thoroughly whooped in the primaries.

The next great Democratic leader has not made themselves known yet, but I'm sure we've seen their face.

Guevara

That's it.
Yeah.

A lot of people heard Clinton promise basically 4 more years of Obama and thought: no thanks.

I mean, do you? Do you really?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm sorry, but no.

If Bernie Sanders was the type of populist the party needed, he would have won. Point blank. Trump was the populist his party needed, and he won. Obama was the type of populist 2008 Dems needed, and he won.

Maybe Hillary Clinton wasn't the right candidate for the time, but then neither was the guy whose ass she thoroughly whooped in the primaries.

The next great Democratic leader has not made themselves known yet, but I'm sure we've seen their face.
I will agree with all of this

kirblar

“The one percent.”

“The status quo.”

Read that again w/ those stats in mind.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A mega-rich white guy is always going to be more appealing to the man in the street than a moderately wealthy black person. People admire wealth more than anything else in the world.

Realyst

That's it.

I wish these voters would think about who's representing them locally at the municipal and state levels, as well. They have a more direct impact on their lives than who they send to D.C.

She had a lot of shit on a website that she constantly told people to go check for themselves.

That shits not gonna cut it.

I mean, and during the debates, and exposing how Trump is an economic fraud and con man.

Anyone who looked at Trump and believed he was looking out for working class interests ever is a dumbass, full stop.

Top Bottom