• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playground Games (Forza Horizon) open second studio for open-world non-racing game

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
x2iWzYx.jpg

New team will be working on unannounced non-racing project, Forza Horizon "remains the cornerstone" of studio's business

Forza Horizon developer Playground Games is planning to open a second development studio, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.

The new branch will also be based in Leamington Spa, with Playground searching for new premises "ideally within walking distance" of its current headquarters in the town centre. It will house a second team working on a brand new game. The developer is unable to share much about the project at this stage, but has confirmed to us that it will be open world and not a racing game.

"Opening another studio is something we've been talking about for a good few years, but we've been keen not to rush into it," founder and creative director Ralph Fulton tells GamesIndustry.biz. "It's a great opportunity for us to test ourselves in a different genre.

More at the link above.

mike4001_

Great.

The thing MS needs most are new first party studios.

Now get 2-3 more to work on new AAA Singleplayer IP´s and you are all set :)

ekim

I want an open world simulation of the Horizon Festival where the player is one the visitors.
It's basically built around drinking, sleeping, taking drugs and listening to music while ignoring the car races.

vivekTO

They have already refined and nailed the open world gameplay & systems in Forza Horizon Series, Going open world is the best choice they could have.

Building front looks nice!!

Arklite

Always cool to see talented devs step out of their element even if it just results in cool oddities like Omega Boost or Driving Emotion Type S.

leeh

I'm happy we have this success story for an new AAA developer in recent years since we've had a lot of doom and gloom.

They deserve it. Horizon is the best racing game period.

eso76

Great.

Now let's hope MS doesn't coerce them into working on some of their existing IP reboot/sequel.

although, i'll be honest, i could see an open world Halo game working :p

Airan

What are the benefits of opening a second studio instead of expanding the team and working within Playground Games?

Theorry

What are the benefits of opening a second studio instead of expanding the team and working within Playground Games?

It says in the article. ;)

"We occupy pretty much all of this building," Fulton explains, "but even if we acquired the last of it, it wouldn't be enough to fit the size of team we're aiming for. The next best thing to it being in this building is for it to be approximate to the studio, ideally within walking distance.

Great.

The thing MS needs most are new first party studios.

Now get 2-3 more to work on new AAA Singleplayer IP´s and you are all set :)

They're not an MS studio though and there's nothing to suggest (yet) that they're working with them again. I wouldn't be surprised if they got lots of offers after shipping Horizon 1 and/or 2, although they could choose to stick with MS due to a good working relationship.

Dynasty

Pretty old news, they have been talking about this for a while now. Really going to be interesting who they decide to work with to publish the game. MS is the obvious option but maybe they want to make a multiplatform game to reach a wider audience. Also Forza Horizon 4 in 2018 is going to be interesting, really cant imagine how they will top Forza Horizon 3 but I thought that about 2 as well :) so surprise me Playground.

Top Bottom