• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Shallie |OT| No more time limits, you pansy!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Posted on behalf of CureVylash. Looking forward to your return buddy! :D

Title credit to ohlawd

Oy4yt31.jpg

Developer: Gust
Publisher: Koei Tecmo
Platform: PS3
MSRP: $49.99
Genre: JRPG
Distribution: Physical + Digital
DLC: Escha and Solle as playable characters, in addition to a free add on dungeon and various paid costumes, mostly swimsuits.
NA PSN page coming soon
EU PSN page coming soon
Release Date: July 17, 2014(JP) March 10, 2015 (NA) March 13, 2015 (EU)
Disclaimer: there appears to be a game freezing bug in the english version, opening the Growth System menu will cause the game and system to freeze, it's recommended to avoid opening the Growth System menu until a patch is issued EDIT: PATCH IS LIVE: http://www.ateliergames.eu/shallie/#notice

Boxart

c94ioo8.jpg

a13v_world_sub_np01.png

The water sources go dry, the plants wither and die, all creatures thirst and starve. The blue oceans turn to sand, and the life is the sea no longer has a place to call home. Yet still, the sun continues to shine, mercilessly drying up what little water remains in the earth. Slowly but surely, everything fades away to nothing in this Dusk world. Even as the sea of sand drains the vitality of the people, two young alchemists have a chance encounter in a dazzling oasis city, still clinging to life. While these two streams may clash and overflow, they still continue to move forward.

a13v_system_nameplate.png

sys01_text01.png

sys01_img01.png

Much like last year's entry, Atelier Escha & Logy, Atelier Shallie also features dual protagonists, each with their own story route. Shallistera's route has a heavier emphasis on battles and story elements, while Shallotte's route has a more laid back feel and focuses more on daily life and character interaction. Think Dusk vs Arland, the prologue gives you a small taste of what each route is like, and you're free to pick whichever route you want from there.

sys09_text01.png

One of the new additions to Shallie is the Growth System, once you hit level 40 you'll receive points every time you level up,m these points can be put towards specific stats to help you mold a character the way you want, play to their strengths or focus on their weaknesses, it's up to you

sys04_text01.png

Another new addition is the Life Task system. there are 2 types of Life Tasks, main and free. Main refers to Life Tasks that will progress the story, and free refers to Life Tasks in-between story chapters that you can do at your leisure (though you do have to clear a certain amount of them before you can continue with the story.) Completing Life Tasks increases the motivation of the heroine, and keeping the motivation bar high has various effects such as gathering more items and increased movement speed.

a13v_system_sub_np02.png

Shallie's battle system has had an upgrade when compared to Escha, but the core concept remains the same, 3 party members in the front row and 3 in the back, Maka Khemia style. However Shallie adds something called the Burst Gauge, dealing damage to enemies through the use of regular attacks and skills will fill the burst gauge, fill it to the max and you can enter Burst Mode

sys0603_text01.png

Upon entering Burst Mode, all of your attacks will do much more damage, and managing to chain 3 assist attacks will let you use the new Variable Strike, which is a very powerful combination attack.

a13v_chara_nameplate.png

cha_top_list01_rollover.png
cha_top_list02_rollover.png
cha_top_list03_rollover.png
cha_top_list05_rollover.png
cha_top_list06_rollover.png
cha_top_list07_rollover.png
cha_top_list08_rollover.png
cha_top_list09_rollover.png
cha_top_list10_rollover.png
cha_top_list11_rollover.png
cha_top_list12_rollover.png
cha_top_list13_rollover.png
cha_top_list14_rollover.png
cha_top_list15_rollover.png

cha_top_list16_rollover.png
cha_top_list17_rollover.png
cha_top_list18_rollover.png
cha_top_list19_rollover.png
cha_top_list20_rollover.png
cha_top_list21_rollover.png

a13v_special_nameplate.png

60IJnNH.jpg

yyBckaw.jpg

PCKRTrE.jpg

bd0Q4c4.jpg

CIIp5YM.jpg

I've never played an Atelier game before but this one just caught my eye for some reason so I preordered it. Guess I'll find out what all the fuss is about. Hopefully it's reasonably friendly to a series noob.

Flarin

Thanks for the OT! Been looking forward to this one for awhile after I skipped Escha and Logy. Bummer to hear about the freezing issue. Guess I'll wait a few days to pick this one up :p

Hugstable

Banned
Probably gonna pick this up, only played Totori before, but I really like the crafting and collecting gameplay :)

Edit: Vyyyulash come back!

Let's see. Currently averaging one playthrough of an Atelier game every 2 years. Next is Meruru, hopefully in 2015. Then Ayesha in 2017 and Escha & Logy in 2019. So I'm looking forward to playing this in 2021!

Also great OT. Please respawn soon CureVylash.

I'll miss the time limits, though Escha&Logy essentially removed them anyway.

Though this week is crazy for new releases. I might have to wait a bit for this one.

atomsk

Party Pooper
KT needs to pay for more QA... first the NPC text issue in Ar nosurge, and now a game freezing bug in Shallie

I know I should just be glad these keep getting physical releases (and I keep buying them hoping that continues) but eesh

Volcynika

My LE apparently will ship late due to weather issues, and NISA somehow accidentally charged me 5 times for it, but I will have it eventually!

JoJoSono

Banned
I haven't been able to get into these games mostly because item crafting and the more low key story do nothing for me. Is this one any diffrent? I was intersted in Escha, because I thought playing as Logy would be more my style. Then I read that it didn't actually matter they both played out the same. Is it really more battle and story focused if you chose one character over the other?

Nice OT , very informative as i was "offline" for this game info as i kinda wanted to be surprised , now i'm kinda hyped.

ah_hia

Is there really no more time limits for items request? I haven't played since Roronoa since it was annoying missing item requests by a day.

Ahh so many games on my radar this month that I had to make the painful choice to make this one be the one I had to let go.

I do plan on picking it up sometime in the summer though.

vall03

I've held back on playing any game last month so I can fully focus on Atelier Shallie. Hopefully, the game will eat up my gaming time for the whole month of March.

KT needs to pay for more QA... first the NPC text issue in Ar nosurge, and now a game freezing bug in Shallie

I know I should just be glad these keep getting physical releases (and I keep buying them hoping that continues) but eesh

As a QA Tester, it's really annoying noticing all those text issues on Escha&Logy. I know they would prioritize Major issues first, but we get chewed out by our leads if we miss those issues even if they're just text issues. Hopefully, they did a better job in Shallie.

Eusis

A couple of questions to series vets.

is the story usually a strong component in Atelier games?

Are there boss battles?
I'm not really a series vet having only completed one game (Iris) but:

Story's not exactly their strongest point, as in having a big epic one. It's more about personal storylines and (usually goofy) scenes on the side, with usually weak core storylines. I THINK the Dusk games may be stronger with a core story, but seemingly not enough to get people seriously recommending Ayesha or Escha & Logy for them, if anything it seems the more serious premise is mainly to make an interesting world than an epicstory.

There's definitely boss battles in Iris at least, and I believe they still crop up in other games. Or at least there's final boss themes, so there much be THAT much there.

I'm considering getting this day one, everything about the game sounds amazing even if I'm not sure if I love the lack of time limits.

But tomorrow is Hotline Miami 2 day, I'll play this after that.

I'm not really a series vet having only completed one game (Iris) but:

Story's not exactly their strongest point, as in having a big epic one. It's more about personal storylines and (usually goofy) scenes on the side, with usually weak core storylines. I THINK the Dusk games may be stronger with a core story, but seemingly not enough to get people seriously recommending Ayesha or Escha & Logy for them, if anything it seems the more series premise is more to make a more interesting world than a more interesting story.

There's definitely boss battles in Iris at least, and I believe they still crop up in other games. Or at least there's final boss themes, so there much be THAT much there.

Ok, thanks for your input :)

You should look into Escha and Logy as well. I absolutely hate time limits, but the one in that is so lenient it is practically non-existent.

It's so lenient that the time limits become constraining in a different way, it wastes your time by making you do busy work to pass days.

Escha was a bit disappointing to me, so I hope this game is better. It certainly looks good, although the lack of time management worries me since that's been such a staple of the series.

theofficefan99

This might be the first Atelier game since Eternal Mana that I end up buying. I'm a sucker for water/ocean motifs and the game just seems a lot better than previous PS3 entries.

Eusis

This might be the first Atelier game since Eternal Mana that I end up buying. I'm a sucker for water/ocean motifs and the game just seems a lot better than previous PS3 entries.
What put me off with Iris was that while the game was likeable it didn't really pull me in THAT much and the ways it could've been more interesting generally involved being less typical JRPG and more doubling down on the alchemy. Which is a big reason I'd been paying more attention again with the PS3 games, though I hadn't really gotten into them ASAP either for a handful of reasons. The Dusk games seem to be another attempt at being more traditionally JRPG-like but seemingly with a heavier lean on that alchemy side of things, even when removing the time limit there's still that focus on fulfilling general tasks.

EDIT: Though I was really interested in Iris purely because it was a 2D JRPG at a time when th ose were being more or less blown off despite being able to look better still. Obviously that doesn't hold even for Gust, though at least there's other venues for THAT and they're picking up with cel shading where only Level 5's been really good otherwise.

Beartruck

Great OT. That bug sounds really bad, but NIS is just now shipping my LE copy of it, so hopefully there'll be a patch by Friday or so when I get it.

Eusis

Actually, now I'm sort of wondering how important it even is to complete each of the Dusk games in order, or if it really doesn't matter to just play them in whatever order.

Tohsaka

Actually, now I'm sort of wondering how important it even is to complete each of the Dusk games in order, or if it really doesn't matter to just play them in whatever order.

There is an overarching story and some recurring characters, but I guess it's not really a huge deal since the plot isn't the main focus in these games.

If it's like the Arland trilogy, there are over arching themes and cameos, but each game is actually stand alone with the plot being entirely self contained. Each game you play as a new main character, and they get introduced to the world and characters in such a way that works for new players as well as returning ones.

Khrno

Anyone knows if there are any bonus costumes for having saves from previous games? I know the Vita games do it, but can't remember if Escha did it too.

Undecided if buying the UK or the US version (all my Ateliers are UK).

Damn it, I really want to play this game day one but Amazon still hasn't given a delivery estimate for this game yet. I'm torn between biting cancelling and going online or just waiting it out.

Scher

Really looking forward to this game, but NISA told me my shipment might be late due to the weather! Hopefully they can at least get it here before the end of the week, since I'll be out of town all of next week.

Durante

Oh shit I completely forgot about this releasing so soon. There's no way I'll finish it before Pillars is released later this month.

Oh well, on the backlog it goes. Also no more time limits :(

Z3M0G

So when we say no more time limits... is that just for individual quests? Or are we talking about the game suddenly ending on you too?

Top Bottom