• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Trailer & Pics Analyzed

Doel

This has pretty much become the official SOCOM Confrontation thread. I'll be replying with any new news that we come across.

UPDATED May20th: The last 2 pictures with a real explanation of where they are taken.
UPDATED July 6th 07 (post #149): IGN will have a Q&A today with Seth Luisi about Confrontation including new pics.
UPDATED July 6th 07: Interview is up

To start off, this thread is SPECIFICALLY about analyzing the trailers and pics, to learn more about the game while we are waiting for more information from E3 in July. And it will be constantly updated with more information as its found.

Just to start, I broke down the trailer and took some screenshots. Feel free to add your own comments and anything else you find:

Trailer analyzed
Since Crossroads is very symmetrical in many ways, it's a bit hard to follow what parts of the map we are actually seeing until we pause it and try to analyze what is on screen. Here I've analyzed the trailer and tried to make sense of what part of the map we are actually seeing, and to look out for any thing that's different/new.

SCMPS31.jpg

Appears to be a new doorway in the map that leads to the very under-used, Terrorist balcony, just in front of the garage. Before, the only way to get up there was from walking across the bridge from the restaurant (if it wasn't already blown).

SCMPS32.jpg

This is the balcony here. You can tell which balcony it is by seeing the Bell Tower on the left side of the screen. This is definitely the Terrorist-side balcony situated in front of the garage.

SCMPS33.jpg

In this image we are looking at the Terrorist balcony from the outside. It no longer appears to wrap around the building like it used to. It's now just situated out front.

SCMPS34.jpg

Now here we are again from the other angle. We are looking out at the Seal's side. Notice the stair case on the back left side of the screen. Those stairs lead to the wall that you climb over to get to the Seal's spawn.

SCMPS35.jpg

We are now looking at the balcony to the left of the Bell Tower (which is out of the picture). Notice how the balcony looks shorter, so there is no longer a way to jump from the balcony to the platform where the Bell Tower is sitting on top of as the jump is too far. The whole building looks longer as well. As you may be able to tell the streets have been widened the area with the gazebo is larger. This is to accommodate 32 players without compromising the map's layout.

SOCOMCBloodcopy.jpg

Blood is back! Notice is dripping on the ground.

SCMPS36.jpg

This was the bomb base near the Seal's spawn. There no longer seems to be a fence in front of it and some palm trees have been put in.

SCMPS37.jpg

Crossroads at night! So a night & day option seems like it's confirmed. Check out the beautiful lighting as well. Right now the player on screen is situated in front of the Bell Tower.

SCMPS38.jpg

It's the garage where the Seal's plant the bomb, near the Terrorist base.

SCMPS39.jpg

Honestly not quite sure where this is taken from. It may be on the lower level in-between the garage and the wall.

SCMPS310.jpg

Inside the garage. Notice the windows that are not there in the original version. Whole area also looks slightly larger and I believe those pillars are new.

SCMPS311.jpg

This is looking out from the Terrorists spawn down the left side street. Notice the barrel in front of him which is about to!

SCMPS312.jpg

Explode! Exploding barrels are back.

32? But HOW?
To fit 32 players on Crossroads, instead of ruining a good map Slant Six Games seems to have widened the streets so the layout remains unaltered.

Basically they are keeping the same layout but widening the streets so there is more room to move and less chance of you being hit by a grenade in the first 20sec. But the layout is unaffected.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072626809.jpg

^Terrorist's spawn, looking outwards. Notice the stair case on the back far right, thats the stairs to the bell tower. Streets are slightly wider, and the run to the end looks slightly farther.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072623575.jpg

^Middle of the map. More room to move but the layout is unaffected.

New Crossroads
Just some more highlights from the pics released.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072625216.jpg

^Behind him is the terrorists spawn point.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072628247.jpg

^Appears to be the corner of the map, down the left street from the Seal's spawn. So right now that Seal is looking at the terrorists spawn which is in the distance.

EDIT: In contradiction to what I initially said, me and someone else on the Playstation.com boards helped discover that these two pictures (above and below) are taken from the same area, and that they are taken where the 2nd set of stairs near the Bell Tower (the ones leading into the small alleyway) used to be, and were replaced by an arch way and ally. So there is no longer a 2nd set of stairs there.

When you pause the trailer (thats on GameTrailers) at about 37sec, you will see an arch way on the right side of the screen where it wasn't there before. We think thats the arch way in this picture. I think this is because they now have a set of stairs leading into the balcony on both sides of the map, and with a bridge that most likely can't blow up anymore, so that does the job of replacing the need for those extra set of stairs.

socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation-20070516072620700.jpg

^Not entirely sure. Possibly the arch way from when you walk down the stairs into the hallway, coming from the bell tower.

EDIT: Read the caption under the 2nd picture up.

Feel free to add to it with stuff you find.

spwolf

graphics are really really suprising for 5 month old PSN game... I thought it will be PS2 style, it is actually really good...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Underwhelmed by this trailer next to everything else and in general.

Warhawk, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted...UNCHARTED!!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Speevy said:
It looks like the developers played GRAW, watched a few MGS4 trailers and said "Hey, let's do that."

****ing EXACTLY.

I keep looking at them going "I really feel like I've seen this before."

You nailed it.

Speevy said:
It looks like the developers played GRAW, watched a few MGS4 trailers and said "Hey, let's do that."

When I saw the screens for the first time, I honestly did think it was GRAW. For a stand alone downloadable game, it looks pretty decent. Wonder what they are thinking of for the pricing for it considering it has not single player mode.

One thing the trailer doesn't show off is the attachments system.

Explosions are slightly underwhelming and physics aren't terribly present (ragdoll excluded).

Nice to have blood back!

I'm thinking the game will sell on the Store for $19.99, just like Tekken.

Content packs will be $9.99 each, this is a level system.

Doel

RubxQub said:

You really have to be a SOCOM fan to appreciate it. We are finally getting what we've wanted since they ****ed up the franchise with SOCOM 3.

It's going back to urban, close quarters environments with no vehicles, thank god! This is a SOCOM 1 & 2 fan's dream.

Chris_C

RubxQub said:

Well, 5 months into development. And, y'know, it's a PSN title.

Looks good enough, I always felt the PS2 SOCOM games were held back by the graphics. Hopefully they can get it on par with RS Vegas or GRAW2.

Doel said:
You really have to be a SOCOM fan to appreciate it. We are finally getting what we've wanted since they ****ed up the franchise with SOCOM 3.

It's going back to urban, close quarters environments with no vehicles, thank god! This is a SOCOM 1 & 2 fan's dream.

That and SOCOM wasn't much of a looker even on PS2. This is better than what I was expecting out of SOCOM this gen.

CapoAheaz

Speevy said:

HUH? Have you ever played SOCOM? It looks like SOCOM 3 with better graphics, which is fine with me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
OldJadedGamer said:
When I saw the screens for the first time, I honestly did think it was GRAW. For a stand alone downloadable game, it looks pretty decent. Wonder what they are thinking of for the pricing for it considering it has not single player mode.

Hopefully it makes it cheaper than your typical game. Who owned SOCOM and actually played the single player? I'm glad they're ditching that componenet completely

Wario64 said:
Hopefully it makes it cheaper than your typical game. Who owned SOCOM and actually played the single player? I'm glad they're ditching that componenet completely

Agreed, the single-player was AWFUL in the SOCOM franchise following 2.

Doel

Red Blaster said:
I think you guys missed the point of the thread.
They did, but sadly we don't have as many hardcore SOCOM fans on here as something like Halo. So people are less-willing to do some analysis of trailers of pics.

Greg

Doel said:

AMEN! I honestly poured so many hours into 1 & 2 - I will go as far as to say that, despite some hit detection/lag issues, SOCOM 2 is my favorite online title ever. The fact that they are making Crossroads HD shows that they know exactly what the fans want - sure the game looks rough right now, but the idea that they put Crossroads in tells me they know what they are doing.

anddo0

Hey great job David!

New and improved Crossroads should be lots of fun. I couldn't make out some locations at first glance, nice job with the breakdown.

WHAT lol? Socom 2 came out years before people even knew what GRAW or MGS4 were. And this map is from Socom 2.

Merovingian said:
I'm a sniper whore.

Does Socom have good and hard sniping?

It does.

If Frostfire and Desert Glory aren't re-released, I riot.

SONY LISTEN TO THIS MAN

Doel

anddo0 said:
Hey great job David!

New and improved Crossroads should be lots of fun. I couldn't make out some locations at first glance, nice job with the breakdown.
Thanks! It took me a while but it was worth it.

spwolf

For people that dont know, different versions of SOCOM sold in over 7,000,000+ copies.

Here is what I found on PSU boards...
Hey SOCOM fans: You might want to sit down for this one. You know how you've been disappointed by how the series has drifted further and further from its roots? You know how the addition of vehicles, enormous maps, and Battlefield-style play modes have seemed to dilute the pure, tense tactical experience of the original game? You know how you've complained to Sony and Zipper about the perils of trying to make the series too accessible, too mainstream?

They were listening.

When franchise head Seth Luisi took the stage at a Sony press event earlier this week to show SOCOM Confrontation, he made it clear that this SOCOM is for you -- the fans of the original SOCOM experience. "The gameplay in SOCOM Confrontation," says Luisi, "is what we like to call 'intimate 32-player team-based combat.'" You may deduce from this statement that Confrontation will be online multiplayer only. You would be correct -- and what's more, the game will initially be available as a download from the PlayStation Store (with a retail release hitting as well, potentially in a collectors-style package or Bluetooth headset bundle similar to what we're expecting from Warhawk).

But the key word in Luisi's statement is "intimate." Gone are the vast levels that made hunting down enemies so difficult and made draws so common. Instead, Luisi promises "more dense, highly detailed environments that also have a lot of interactive elements." In a brief video, he showed a seriously revamped version of fan favorite map Crossroads. The market area appeared much more detailed, with what seemed to be some destructible elements. It seemed to indicate the possibility of destructible -- or at least degradable -- cover, an addition that should strike fear into the hearts of anyone familiar with the already sky-high tension levels in a good SOCOM match.

But perhaps the most welcome feature of Confrontation isn't an addition at all, but rather a subtraction: "For the initial release, vehicles are out," says Luisi, to the nearly audible cheers of old-school SOCOM fans everywhere. "We are looking at possibly bringing them back later on in a downloadable update to the game. But initially, we want to focus on the combat, and making that as visceral as possible." Without the need to plan for vehicles, the designers are free to recreate the close-quarters, claustrophobic feel of the best of SOCOM's original multiplayer maps, with the kind of detail this generation of hardware can bring. This is a very good thing.

This increased level of detail extends to your own character: You'll be able to customize your appearance more than in any previous SOCOM. It's not just for vanity's sake, though -- it's also for identity. "We allow clans to set up different uniforms," said Luisi. "The clan leader can design a look for their clan, change some of the camo patterns, some of the equipment options, and then users can still go in and customize their look individually, so they don't all look exactly the same."
The community support will extend throughout the life of the game. "We plan on having a lot of online events," Luisi says, "such as regularly scheduled team tournaments, clan ladders, and clan challenges and battles. But the game doesn't really end with the initial release. We'll be releasing regularly scheduled theme packs through the PlayStation Store. You'll be able to download content packs, which will have a combination of new game modes, new special forces, character cutomization options, weapons, and more." You can also plan on new maps coming down that fat pipe -- counting the expanded, 32-player version of Crossroads, the initial release will ship with just five maps, all based in North Africa (future updates will offer new maps in new areas of operation).

You know, after seeing all this and taking a step back - I want to know how they are going to address SOCOM's biggest problem: post-release rampant cheating and discovery of game exploits.

I mean, the promise of post-release content is great but where is the promise of post-release game support?

Support can make or break the series for most people.

spwolf

Cold-Steel said:
You know, after seeing all this and taking a step back - I want to know how they are going to address SOCOM's biggest problem: post-release rampant cheating and discovery of game exploits.

I mean, the promise of post-release content is great but where is the promise of post-release game support?

wait - they will expand the game, have map packs, have online events, dedicated servers, but we dont know if they will support game? :)

spwolf said:
wait - they will expand the game, have map packs, have online events, dedicated servers, but we dont know if they will support game? :)

Take it from someone who has played the series since the beginning.

The games go to shit a couple months after people find all the exploits and Zipper Interactive doesn't do shit all about it - despite promising post-release support.

They sit on their hands, don't give us updates for 6 months at a time and fall back on deadlines over and over again.

Ravenn17

- Hit detection, hit detection, hit detection.
- LOCKED 30/60 FPS
- Accurate guns, not that S3 spray BS
- Balance Weapons

Basically, just refine S1 game play, balance everything out (maps+guns). BTW, who are the socom nuts around here? Post your name / clans / server you played in s1/s2.

[iMr] Cold-Steel

-Still playing SOCOM, I have a clan match at 10pm EST on Combined Assault
-Been playing since SOCOM 1, been in multiple clans (USS, BOW; to name a few)
-Never used more than one name, my name has been the same since the first game
-No particular server, but CLAN GAMES would be it for the most part

Feel free to check out my clan website:

www.socomimmortals.com

Still a work in-progress but will be really nice when we finish it. :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Cold-Steel said:

This is true. I don't think Sony has been very strong with dealing with cheating, period. And there was always some scam going on with Socom, even when it was good.

Safe Bet

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
BTW, who are the socom nuts around here? Post your name / clans / server you played in s1/s2.
I...

Wolf Pact and/or Safe Bet

US Central

I run solo usally....

PS

I still remember when "earning your wings" meant something...

I hope it can be that way again...

mrpogi23

so... this isnt really a sequel, more like revamped ps3 ver in hi def with the best maps?

I guess we wont see the real sequel, Socom 4 any time soon then

Safe Bet said:
I...

Wolf Pact and/or Safe Bet

US Central

I run solo usally....

PS

I still remember when "earning your wings" meant something...

I hope it can be that way again...

Just so you know, they've done a suprisingly good job of monitoring the leaderboards on Combined Assault.

I'm a legit 3-star in the game right now and this is after months of having to deal with rank-ups placing me far, FAR lower in the boards.

As for in-game cheating or game exploits, they really dropped the ball BIG TIME there.

Top Bottom