• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What size should the Switch boxes be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this post on /r/NintendoSwitch and it got me thinking about what the box sizes should be. Since this is a handheld/console hybrid that uses carts its kind of interesting to think about what the box size will be. Should it be Vita sized, 3DS sized, regular console sized, or maybe something inbetween?

6IgD6iF.png

I'm personally thinking it will be regular console sized. People might subconsciously not think the games are worth console prices if they see those small 3DS sized boxes.

Dingens

well ps1 boxes were the same size as ds boxes... I don't see why I should let them waste space on my shelf for a card that's probably like 1,5x1,5 cm.
therefore I'd rather have 3ds than WiiU sized boxes

VITA size sounds ideal. With a lack of game manuals these days for the most part I can't imagine what else they'd they to fit inside of the case, that isn't a voucher for club nintendo points.

Neiteio

I think PS4 cases are perfect, so a bit shorter than a WiiU case

3DS cases would also be good and make sense with carts

EDIT: Actually, looking at the Vita case, that'd be cool

Randomizer

It should be as small as possible. With the 3DS boxes Nintendo already made an effort to cut down on the amount of plastic being used.

The scaling in that mockup is all messed up. Vita boxes aren't that wide and 3ds boxes aren't that small.

I'd like PS4 or 3DS sized boxes, though.

It makes sense to me that they'll make the boxes the same size as PS4 and XB1 boxes to show that they're in the same realm of power as them

Either Vita size or In-between the size of a Vita case and a standard Blu-ray box.

They won't go with 3DS-style cases, as that would go against their "home gaming console" marketing message.

- J - D -

It should be a cylindrical blister pack with clamshell level anti-theft plastic seals. Once you inevitably rage into it with heavy duty scissors, the package is essentially destroyed.

Opa-Pa

Vita size would make the most sense, but they'll probably go with regular, Wii U sized boxes to convince people that the systems offer a console experience "first and foremost" or whatever.

Can't wait to see how damn empty they look inside.

I'd rather the smallest possible, but I'm not sure how well it will go over with the public. They may view the small size and equate that to quality in whatever stretch of rationale things sometimes boil down to. Then again, I buy 100% digital, so I'm probably out of touch with this sort of thing.

Maybe start full sized and go small later?

Bane

Really can't see why they need be bigger than 3DS. I'd be mostly fine with Vita cases as well but would want them with the thickness of other cases.

I don't like square boxes in general, with European Nintendo DS ones being the sole exception. However, I do understand we need a compact box for portable system... on the other hand, Blu-ray boxes are smaller than Wii U full-size DVD ones, as Nintendo reused the Wii press form while making them.

What about PSP-size boxes?

georly

Bluray sized so they have the same gravitas as ps4/xb1 games. Handheld games have traditionally been smaller boxes and if they're trying to market this thing as a home console, it needs to have game boxes the same size as its 'competition' so it doesn't appear inferior in any way. Just a minor subconscious marketing thing can go a long way.

I'd imagine japan might get smaller boxes, since they might market it more for its portability over there.

You save on shipping and get other benefits from a smaller casing. If it's half the size of a blu ray case then you could ship 2x as many games in a single crate and store 2x as many games in store shelves.
You also save on waste/costs.
But, smaller cases means less viability on a store shelf and it seems less valuable.

kunonabi

Japanese Gamecube size would be my ideal but Nintendo's abandoned manuals so I don't see that size being worthwhile for them.

Either Vita size or In-between the size of a Vita case and a standard Blu-ray box.

They won't go with 3DS-style cases, as that would go against their "home gaming console" marketing message.

Doesn't make sense to say that being against 3DS case = goes against home gaming message, whereas you want to go with the Vita, which would also suggest going against home gaming message.

AdanVC

Vita case would be ideal. Regular case would be too damn big just for a damn cartridge and no paperwork. Looking forward to see the official label Nintendo will use for Switch on the boxart. Black box with red and white with the logo nicely plased somewhere would excellent! Pretty sure they will use a red box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom