• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teleglitch |OT| Nailbombs, Panzerfausts and Meattraps

4c2c02a166c9d1ec56978d8db5105834f8fc0393.png

Genre/Style: Top-down sci-fi survival shooter with crafting, roguelike elements/permadeath
Developer: Test3 Projects
Platform: PC/Linux
Links: Facebook / Official Site

PURCHASE: $13USD
DEMO: YES

What is Teleglitch?

Test3 Projects said:
Teleglitch is a roguelike top-down shooter with pixel graphics. The game takes place in procedurally generated military research & training complex that has a different map every time you play. Our mission is to give players like you a chance to walk in the dark corridors, gripping their gun and few last rounds of ammunition. To play with finger on the trigger, high on adrenaline.

Features:

• 20+ types of various opponents
  • 40+ types of weapons and items
  • 10 levels that radically change their structure every time you play
  • 10+ hours of play time (it gets harder the further you get, surprise)
  • Detailed Database with juicy back story and useful info of each monster
  • Option to combine all weapons and items into new awesome gear, such as the can gun (empty can + nails + explosive) or the high velocity light machinegun that shoots armor piercing depleted uranium bullets (result of modding the standard assault rifle).
  • A sinister narrative filled with greedy military corporations, risky experiments and will to survive.

Screenshots:

Videos:

Trailer

Previews/Reviews/Impressions:

RockPaperShotgun Impressions
Destructoid Review - 8/10
FleshEatingZipper Review - 7/10
IndieGamesMag Review - 87/100
GamesAreEvil Review (Disclosure: Review by OP)

Updates:

Linux32: http://teleglitch.com/Teleglitch_r62_patch_linux32.tar.gz
Linux64: http://teleglitch.com/Teleglitch_r62_patch_linux64.tar.gz
Windows: http://teleglitch.com/tg62_update.exe

---

A great first effort by an Estonian indie trio, I've had a bunch of fun with Teleglitch. Some quirks here and there, but this game - which runs on anything - is a delightful little game. Big fan. Hope some folks get a kick out of it, because it certainly deserves exposure.

From what I gather, it's the first indie breakout hit of some description from the country, too, so there's something for trivia night.

Do note it has no actual music, so either run with the eerie, crunchy SFX or run something foreboding atop the game.

I went with The Dead Texan, particularly Chronicles of Early Failures two-parter for a few runs and damn, if it wasn't a tragic, lonely run through a nightmarish place.

The sound design was great, I definitely flipped my shit when wandering into some enclosed spaces. I also really liked the chromatic aberration effect when you fire and the
edge of reality or whatever it is, the weird colorful hard-edge polys that kill you when you wander into them

The game sure doesn't like giving you ammo though, does it! Once I get a little better at melee / understanding when to use it, it'll probably feel better... Thanks for the heads up dude!

No worries. Every shot counts!

And if you can create a cangun...herd your foes into a corridor, step up and pull the trigger. Holy hell, that's a savage piece of on-the-fly engineering.

schnarf

Just got done playing this for about an hour, and am having a blast.
I can see people taking one look at the graphics and moving on without a second thought, and that truth fucking bums me out.
If I were to describe the game as "a real time top down Doom Roguelike" and that sounds like something you might enjoy, then give the demo a whirl.

Random list of things I am really enjoying in the game: Crafting, exploration, the in-game "Codex", the atmosphere
One thing I wish was in the game: More blood splatter

Also, I recommend you turn the zoom option on (the game will zoom in or out depending how big or small the area you are in is)

jdl

Banned
This looks really interesting.

Will definitely demo this. If it runs well on the laptop will probably go for full purchase.

And I actually really dig the look of the graphics. Takes me back on a 90s PC nostalgia trip.

Why Linux but no OSX? Also, why isn't it on Greenlight yet?

I'm guessing developer access to hardware or something. These blokes are from Estonia and this was a real labour of love for three years. Grassroots stuff. I'm going to do an interview with them soon, so I'll link that when its done.

Greenlight is being considered.

Yeah, balls-out awesome game. Unassuming stuff. Really intriguing to play on the heels of Hotline Miami, as they've got some very interesting and complimentary mechanics.

jdl

Banned
Trying out the demo here and man this game is brutal. How does saving work in the full game?

Get to level 5, which will then unlock as a starting point from the main menu. Brutal as hell, but moreover, it's an exercise in not wasting anything!

jdl

Banned
Ah, so no quicksaving then. That's cruel.

The whole thing feels like a topdown Quake. Which I like quite a bit. Debating whether or not to spring with the dough. I am noticing a complete lack of buzz on this one. These guys need some more promotional material out there.

Lijik

Everything in the OP was tickling my brain, watched the trailer and was really into it.
Thanks for posting about this game! Im about to go to sleep, but im definitely picking this up tomorrow morning. Really excited to play it.

2Crisis

Well it seems pretty cool. Then I walked into a tunnel that was making a weird noise and just randomly died?

I'll probably buy it once the semester is over. The shooting mechanic is nice.

Well it seems pretty cool. Then I walked into a tunnel that was making a weird noise and just randomly died?

I'll probably buy it once the semester is over. The shooting mechanic is nice.

Teleglitch anomaly, I'm guessing.

If those walls are warping, distorting and black as pitch, steer clear.

jdl

Banned
Made it to level 3.... And was immediately gang-banged to death by a bunch of android zombies. I understand the item crafting element now; it adds a survival element of choosing what you'll need based on what you have. There's definitely something addictive to this, despite it being so unforgiving.

Any particular weapons tickling fancies?

I'm a cangun man. Something just so damn raw and powerful. Reminds me of Turvey's gun from William Gibson's Virtual Light, the gas-powered one that fired grapefruit cans full of concrete.

Llyranor

Played through the demo. Died at level 3.

Was pretty impressed. Gameplay is fun and tense. Roguelike elements are well-implemented. Scarce on ammo and health, trying to stay alive - very fun.

I actually really like the pixel look of it. The field of view lighting is pretty neat, too.

BTW, is the text when you activate computers/etc useful re: gameplay, or is it only story/lore stuff? Because I've been skipping it :D

EDIT: I'm going to be a blasphemer because it's a roguelike, but I feel like this would be amazing if you were able to co-op with a friend. Scavenging items, sharing weapons between yourselves, trying to survive together. There just aren't enough co-op roguelikes out there! But I digree...

jdl

Banned
Any particular weapons tickling fancies?

I'm a cangun man. Something just so damn raw and powerful. Reminds me of Turvey's gun from William Gibson's Virtual Light, the gas-powered one that fired grapefruit cans full of concrete.

I'm liking the cangun's instant crowd obliteration. There's still a lot of items I haven't tried yet, having to weigh the experimentation against the odds for survival. I was getting a lot of use out of the nailgun due to the disposable ammo, even though it's somewhat a ghetto contraption.

BTW, is the text when you activate computers/etc useful re: gameplay, or is it only story/lore stuff? Because I've been skipping it :D

Some of the computer consoles will show you locations of the Exit Portal and Item Boxes... Not sure if they're visually distinguishable from the computers that give you straight lore.

Played through the demo. Died at level 3.

Was pretty impressed. Gameplay is fun and tense. Roguelike elements are well-implemented. Scarce on ammo and health, trying to stay alive - very fun.

I actually really like the pixel look of it. The field of view lighting is pretty neat, too.

EDIT: I'm going to be a blasphemer because it's a roguelike, but I feel like this would be amazing if you were able to co-op with a friend. Scavenging items, sharing weapons between yourselves, trying to survive together. There just aren't enough co-op roguelikes out there! But I digree...

And you're a bloke who takes his co-op seriously! No empty adulation.

I'm liking the cangun's instant crowd obliteration. There's still a lot of items I haven't tried yet, having to weigh the experimentation against the odds for survival. I was getting a lot of use out of the nailgun due to the disposable ammo, even though it's somewhat a ghetto contraption.

Any thoughts on the AGL variants? If you can herd a mob and get a salvo of sticky grenades into a pack, it's rather satisfying.

The shotgun is fantastic, too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Want to buy but the paygate has me curious since it asks for my personal info to be manually inserted even if I choose to use my paypal account to pay with so I didn't go through with it yet. Why not just let me login with paypal before asking for the info?

Corto

Bought. I'll try to play it on my Mac laptop through emulation and then give some feedback. If that doesn't work only latter I'll be able to play it on my desktop. But the bullet points and Pylon endorsement are enough for me. ;)

R1CHO

I finally try the demo and yeah, the game is pretty good, the roguelike elements work, the crafting system is nice, and the procedural map makes it very replayable.

I still think the graphics are bad, is true that it has style, and some effects are nice, but its too low res, it gives me headaches to be honest.

Corto

I'm loving the game though I still suck at aiming with the mouse. I played Hotline Miami with a controller which transformed it into a dual-stick shooter, this would work very well with this game too I think. But I'll work on the aim, maybe I need to decrease the sensitivity of the mouse a bit.

Corto, I certainly had to adjust coming in from Hotline Miami...really makes you line up those shots like nobody's business. Having a bullet or nail or AGL blast whizz past an enemy makes me feel like such a wasteful and ultimately doomed individual!

Jintor, keep it up!

---

Not sure on OSX release. Could be coming down the pipeline.

Corto

" This black waving blob seems inviting and friendly.... Maybe it's a portal to a super secret room with a laser automatic gun. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" *dies*

jdl

Banned
So I've put a few hours into this now and I've grown to really like it. I hope to see this get the kind of attention it deserves.

Corto

I just died by my own doing, deploying a nailbomb while cornered by a swarm of mutant zombies on level three. I really like the game but I can't see myself playing it for hours and hours. I was already tired at this point. Is there a checkpoint at fixed intervals? Every 5 levels or so?

I discovered the game a few days ago, and have been enjoying the demo a lot. One question before I buy the full game: is there a way to save one's progress to break up sessions, or is it more of a checkpoint system where you can start a new game from the furthest level you've reached?

I discovered the game a few days ago, and have been enjoying the demo a lot. One question before I buy the full game: is there a way to save one's progress to break up sessions, or is it more of a checkpoint system where you can start a new game from the furthest level you've reached?

As above, once you reach a certain level - the first being Level 5 - you can then start from that particular level from the main menu.

Dark Souls who?! Heh heh. No, the masochist crowd will love this one.

Top Bottom