• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stringer Shakes up Sony Management, Takes President Position

herod

The changes, which will be effective from April 1, will see Stringer take on the title of president of Sony and with it direct control of the company's key electronics business. Stringer will retain his chairman and CEO titles

Next title: Emperor of Sony.

fanboi

Banned
Honestly, I think this is the secret PS3 game... were you take controll over a big corp... all in glorious 4D.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Big plans for PSN it seems:

The Networked Products and Services Group will bring together Sony's PlayStation games console, Vaio personal computers, Walkman audio products, new mobile products and Sony Media Software and Services, which develops a common service platform across Sony products. All of these products currently provide access, or will in the future, to Sony's PlayStation Network, an online content distribution system that Sony expects will power its networked electronics products in the future.

PSN Gold incoming?

Hammer24

Banned
As expected after the latest financials, Stringer is finally getting free reign over Sony. Good for Sony! The planned restructuring of the gaming division looks good so far (at least on paper), Hirai still the man.
This will mark the turnaround for Sony´s return to profitability, I´m sure.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Slavik81 said:
What? How did you come to that conclusion?
Just speculating. But now that I've read it again, seems like it's more about digital distribution. Which makes the PSP2 rumour a bit stronger.

ymmv

Banned
Hammer24 said:
As expected after the latest financials, Stringer is finally getting free reign over Sony. Good for Sony! The planned restructuring of the gaming division looks good so far (at least on paper), Hirai still the man.
This will mark the turnaround for Sony´s return to profitability, I´m sure.

The electronics business will reorganized and two main groups will sit at its heart.

The Networked Products and Services Group will bring together Sony's PlayStation games console, Vaio personal computers, Walkman audio products, new mobile products and Sony Media Software and Services, which develops a common service platform across Sony products. All of these products currently provide access, or will in the future, to Sony's PlayStation Network, an online content distribution system that Sony expects will power its networked electronics products in the future.

At the top of the division will be Kaz Hirai, who currently runs the PlayStation business at subsidiary Sony Computer Entertainment. Hirai is a Sony veteran and fluent English speaker and managed Sony's U.S. PlayStation operations while Stringer was running Sony's U.S. consumer electronics business.

Another U.S. executive, Sony Electronics President Kunimasa Suzuki, will become senior vice president of Sony and deputy president of the new group. He will lead the Vaio business and a project to create new products that utilize the best technologies from across Sony.

The second major group will be the New Consumer Products Group that will bring together Sony's Bravia TV, digital imaging, home audio and video businesses.

It will be led by Hiroshi Yoshioka, who currently heads Sony's TV business. In this role he will also oversee the Semiconductor and Component Business Group. Yoshihisa Ishida, who currently runs the Vaio business, will head the TV business group in Yoshioka's place.

Kaz Hirai has been promoted and is now head of the new Networked Products and Services Group. I bet there's going to be someone else to supervise the Playstation division.

herod

ymmv said:
Kaz Hirai has been promoted and is now head of the new Networked Products and Services Group. I bet there's going to be someone else to supervise the Playstation division.
070427_Kutaragi_Ken.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
ymmv said:

The playstation division is now part of the networked products and services group.

ymmv

Banned
Hammer24 said:
The playstation division is now part of the networked products and services group.

There's a lot more on his plate now. He will be supervising the groups responsible for Vaio personal computers, Walkman audio products, new mobile products and Sony Media Software and Services as well.

fanboi

Banned
herod said:

"This new PS3 Secret Game will bring order to the economy. It will bring order to the world!
BEHOLD!"

*Curtains fall. Gaming journalism is in show and awe*

"Infront of you is the new begining. The new end. Resistance Is Futile"

*damdamdamdamdam*

ymmv said:
Ken K?
Believe

FightyF

Banned
fanboi said:
Honestly, I think this is the secret PS3 game... were you take controll over a big corp... all in glorious 4D.

Hasn't SEGA already made a game like this?

Teetris said:

PSN Gold incoming?

Big fat NO considering the purpose of Home, the fact that it's nearly out, and it would simply alienate people from their online distribution store.

was about time. in the past years sony grew so big and became so fragmented that was really impossible to have a sinergic work among different divisions. sinergy should be the main strenght of a so big corporation.

btw, could someone photshop a pic of visari from k2 with stringer head on it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hammer24 said:

At first blush I read it to mean that networked products and services is a seperate entity servicing these other businesses with network software, tying them together on PSN etc. I don't think they've merged all those subsidaries into one big subsiduary.

I'd imagine Kaz will also maintain his role at SCE in addition to this new role.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Suddenly, the strategy I was mentioning a while back doesn't seem so crazy anymore.

Just look at the 3D0 they said.

Well guess what fuckers, the 3D0 had a lot of other factors going against it.

Getting the playstation network onto as many devices as possible will be the real key to domination; and it'll make the work that Nintendo has done look like a childs play.

It's going to be no less than a unified; closed OS for home electronic devices, and the distibution network for it.

Yes, I'm quite aware of how crazy I sound right now. But only in so far as that anyone suggesting the wiimote, prior to the reveal of the Wii/Revolution would've sounded quite crazy too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Crayon Shinchan said:
Suddenly, the strategy I was mentioning a while back doesn't seem so crazy anymore.

Getting the playstation network onto as many devices as possible will be the real key to domination; and it'll make the work that Nintendo has done look like a childs play.

It's going to be no less than a unified; closed OS for home electronic devices, and the distibution network for it.

Yes, I'm quite aware of how crazy I sound right now. But only in so far as that anyone suggesting the wiimote, prior to the reveal of the Wii/Revolution would've sounded quite crazy too.

I just hope they can execute on it, the plan does seem very bold but sound IMHO (and quite interesting :D).

Kingsgoon

The Networked Products and Services Group will bring together Sony's PlayStation games console, Vaio personal computers,
Walkman audio products, new mobile products and Sony Media Software and Services, which develops a common service
platform across Sony products. All of these products currently provide access, or will in the future, to Sony's PlayStation
Network, an online content distribution system that Sony expects will power its networked electronics products in the future.
Seems like a good move.

Hope they can pull it off, sounds bold and ambitious, I like it.

Need someone to head SCEJ that will get them making games, Kaz seemed to not really care about games as much as he did about DD and getting the PSN unified across all Sony products (not necessarily a bad thing), this new division will hopefully make that happen and SCEJ can give us Legend of Dragoon 2, Siren 3, TRICO and other games.

FightyF

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:

Nothing outlandish about it. Sony was clearly interested in getting CELL on as many things as they could. When doing so, they would make those products compatible with the OS (which runs on one SPU IIRC).

Just as many Apple products can use the iStore, Sony could do the same with all of its products.

But you can't compare what Nintendo has done to this or to Apple. Nintendo is able to sell their consoles and handhelds with extremely high profit margins. Sony or Apple have to sell them at realistic margins (not very great on hardware) and make their money off of software, movies, and music (in the form of digital downloads). So "domination" has to be used in a very different sense here.

fanboi

Banned
Please make a TV with a HDD and PSN connection so you can rent and download movies and series. That would be awsome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
fanboi said:
Please make a TV with a HDD and PSN connection so you can rent and download movies and series. That would be awsome.

I thought some new Bravia's had net connections for streaming movies. They debuted some Will Smith movie to those bravia users before it was available on dvd/blu-ray, IIRC.

I don't think they used PSN though. That'd make too much sense, I guess..always gotta be some redundancy at Sony :p

Hopefully going forward stuff like this will use one set of infrastructure (aka PSN). I think it's inevitable in the future that all their TVs will have net connections for streaming content.

In a certain way this sounds like the setting up of a seperate PSN division.

fanboi

Banned
gofreak said:
I thought some new Bravia's had net connections for streaming movies. They debuted some Will Smith movie to those bravia users before it was available on dvd/blu-ray, IIRC.

I don't think they used PSN though. That'd make too much sense, I guess..always gotta be some redundancy at Sony :p

Hopefully going forward stuff like this will use one set of infrastructure (aka PSN). I think it's inevitable in the future that all their TVs will have net connections for streaming content.

In a certain way this sounds like the setting up of a seperate PSN division.

How did it work, streaming movies etc?

But I do hope they get a integration with PSN... alot of possibilities.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So it seems like they're taking a cue from Microsoft and having the PlayStation division be merged into other divisions to make one huge division. I hope that this prompts synergy between the PlayStation products. Like better PlayStation Network usage on PCs, and maybe even using the Network to download movies and TV shows on PCs and Walkmen.

Of course, you'd have to change the name of the PlayStation Store since it would be used on other stuff...

This sounds okay though.

Crayon Shinchan said:

Sony doesn't have a good track record when it comes to good UI so good luck with that.

Elios83

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=aF78MJAgo5YA

At the heart of the reorganization is the formation of two new business
groups:

* The Networked Products & Services Group will include Sony Computer
Entertainment (“SCE”); personal computers (VAIO); new mobile products,
including the current WALKMAN lines; and Sony Media Software and
Services, which develops a common service platform across Sony
products. The mandate of the group is to maximize the potential and
pace of Sony’s innovation and to enhance profitability in networked
products and services. The group also plans to incubate new products
leveraging Sony’s best technologies. Integral to this process is the
utilization and expansion of the PlayStation Network service platform,
which currently has 20 million registered accounts globally.

Leading the Networked Products & Services Group will be Kazuo Hirai, who
will become Executive Vice President of Sony Corporation and President of
this group. He will also continue in his current role as President and
Group CEO of SCE.

Kazuo Hirai

(New) Corporate Executive Officer, EVP, Officer in
charge of Networked Products & Service Group

(Continue as) President and Group CEO, Sony Computer
Entertainment Inc.

So Sony Computer Entertainment is now part of bigger division which will handle Walkman, Vaio, networked products, Playstation and services.
Playstation Network will be the common platform for all those different products.
Hirai is CEO of the new division while continuing to be CEO of the gaming division.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So Sony Computer Entertainment is now part of bigger division

Sounds more like an umbrella group, rather than a division that's going to swallow all these others into one whole. Each of those divisions will remain as individual divisions, but they'll all be members of this group.

It basically sounds like Stringer isn't taking any more shit wrt different parts of the company using different network strategies etc, that they're going to be unified under PSN. At least hopefully that's what this means.

andycapps

Teetris said:

PSN Gold incoming?

This reminds me, does anyone else remember a time when Phil Harrison was onstage and demonstrating a cell phone somehow interacting with PSN or with a PS3? Was that something where they showed you being able to access messages, friends, etc or is my memory faulty? I'm not sure why it is coming back to me now, as that was quite a while ago, but this quote reminded me of it.

herod

andycapps said:
This reminds me, does anyone else remember a time when Phil Harrison was onstage and demonstrating a cell phone somehow interacting with PSN or with a PS3? Was that something where they showed you being able to access messages, friends, etc or is my memory faulty? I'm not sure why it is coming back to me now, as that was quite a while ago, but this quote reminded me of it.

it was just a phone with an XMB interface.

andycapps

herod said:
it was just a phone with an XMB interface.

So what happened to that? Just a concept? I thought it seemed pretty cool to be able to sign into your account on your cell phone and potentially queue up stuff for your PS3 to download or whatnot.

Top Bottom