• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] UK: One sold 170k in two weeks (20k in week two), Wii U around 150k LTD

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the updated article about PS4's record launch

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

UPDATE: An industry source has told Eurogamer that life-to-date Wii U sales in the UK are still around the 150,000 mark after a year on sale.

That's around 100,000 less than PlayStation 4 managed in its opening weekend.

Xbox One sales are now up to the 170,000 mark, Eurogamer was told. It was reported last week that Xbox One had notched up around 150,000 units during its launch weekend, suggesting around 20,000 more have been shifted in the last week.

UK numbers company Chart-Track was not able to comment on specific sales figures for PS4 or Xbox One but did confirm that both have now outstripped the Wii U's lifetime sales in the UK.

Where do Nintendo go from here?

When you're outsold by new consoles in just a week after having a one year head-start, it's time to re-evaluate pretty much everything about your product...

Fantastic sales for Sony and not a bad second week for MS either.

Kerub

Banned

When you're outsold by new consoles in just a week after having a one year head-start, it's time to re-evaluate pretty much everything about your product...

They need to make people understand.

Kyon

Banned
woTGR.gif

Microsoft is done over there

Not even gonna comment on the failure that is the Wiitney HoUston

But we know they won't do fucking anything. They'll plod along believing Mario World and Mario Kart will save their console, it'll be sent to its deathbed with about 15 million LTD and their next console will be low-powered but without a needless gimmick, and will still fail for the same reasons.

I think retail and the market will push Nintendo in a direction whether they like it or not.

They MUST be in danger of losing shelf space at this point. Retail will have four major consoles (PS3/4, 360/One) plus 3DS/2DS to push which will all move units, and it looks like Mario can't help even poor Wii U out. If it goes from shelves, it will be finished. I am still confident in my crazy mind that Wii U will not see another Christmas after this one. But that's just me. The future games will just get moved/axed.

Releasing Mario on Friday was a really stupid thing to do, it could of come out weeks before that. I wonder if the same gamers who buy Nintendo home sytems (150k of them in UK) are the same gamers that buy PS4/Xbox? That might explain lack of sales this week. Otherwise, nobody gives a shit. Also, I haven't seen a single Mario 3D World advert on UK TV, whereas the other two (PS4 more so, especially last night, holy shit) are on all the time.

Not that it is the only problem, but no FIFA or PES on Wii U really hurts the system even further. Basically Wii U needs its biggest cards and some interesting new stuff just to survive there, but as most have already said, it is dead in the UK, sad.

20k for XB1 on second week does not look too hot.

Kyon

Banned
It's really impressive how they shattered the record yet again. Truly a King.

If only they could make more units to sell

tuffy

Nintendo believes if they make games that are awesome enough, people will come.

But that doesn't always happen. So all they can do is release titles that are in development and go back to the drawing board on a new hardware platform.

A friend of mine said that at his store PS4 sold 15 consoles on release, Xbox One sold 10 in a week (both selling out all the stock they had) and tomorrow they'll get 20 Xbox Ones and 10 PS4s.

Quite interesting but with Microsoft launching in much fewer countries it isn't a surprise that they're able to offer more. Only indicative of one shop though obviously.

VanWinkle

Wow. Nintendo really squandered that one year head start for the Wii U. Craziness. And PS4's sales in just 2 days is insane.

nampad

Where are those guys predicting that Sony and Microsoft will fail horribly like Nintendo because the market just contracted?

Skittles

At this point, nintendo better hope the college and high school crowd eat up smash and Mario kart. Can't really see them bouncing back any other way

dugdug

Banned
The craziest part to me, is, who would have guessed Sony would have turned things around this much?

I know we're only at the start, here. Anything can happen, but, a few years ago, if you would have told me that PS4 would outsell the next Xbox, I would have laughed in your face.

Yet, here we are.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sad numbers for the WIIU, thinking that both the new consoles in a week sold as much(XB1) or a lot more(PS4) than an entire year of WIIU blows my mind.
I hope this serves as a lesson to Nintendo.

Rad-

I'm surprised XO is still doing pretty well for itself, considering the price and the horrible marketing job they have done this year.

Any word on yet on total Euro sales? Surely a million+ with 250k coming out of the UK alone.

I honestly wonder if Sony was able to get 1m consoles ready for the European launch. I would say they probably sent a disproportionate number to the US and UK to try and gain a bit of an edge in those regions.

Top Bottom