• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] UK: One sold 170k in two weeks (20k in week two), Wii U around 150k LTD

Prine

Banned
Whats alarming is that we only just found out about how dire Wii U performance has been, Nintendo knew for a long time now and they did nothing.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
150k units in europe in 1 year? Holy crap

U.K. ≠ Europe LTD

What is their source, Chartz? I have seen several gaming outlets using it as a reference on occasions.

Edit: Beaten.

pixlexic

Banned
Is it dumb for me to point out how small each number is?

Or is this actually really big for that market?

Serious question.

crinale

Nintendo really should have released Mario 3DW at launch. I mean really. Such a missed oppotunity...
It shows how important the planning is upon releasing a new console.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
More than Xbox.

This is really the thing. Of course PS4 is going to see a massive drop next week. But its numbers will still be higher than XBONE and its lead will continue to grow.

If PS4 outsells XBONE in the US come NPD, I think short of an unforeseen momentum shift we're looking at how this gen is going to shake out.

edit - nm. looking at the stock checker it looks like they sold them in the past few hours.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sad numbers for the WIIU, thinking that both the new consoles in a week sold as much(XB1) or a lot more(PS4) than an entire year of WIIU blows my mind.
I hope this serves as a lesson to Nintendo.

A lesson on what?

What exactly should they have done differently? Should they have made a similar console to MS and Sony with a regular controller and sold it at a loss?

Should they have moneyhatted more 3rd party devs and pubs?

The only lesson I can get from this is Nintendo should have heavily invested in more western studios when they had the chance.

tuffy

Nintendo really should have released Mario 3DW at launch. I mean really. Such a missed oppotunity...
Or Wii Sports Club. Or Wii Fit. Or any number of franchises that made the Wii such a success.

But crucial software arriving way too late is going to define the Wii U.

MDSLKTR

Jesus even the xbone surpassed the wiiu ltd? And then fanboys want apologies when the whole industry laughs at nintendo?

A lesson on what?

What exactly should they have done differently? Should they have made a similar console to MS and Sony with a regular controller and sold it at a loss?

The only lesson I can get from this is Nintendo should have heavily invested in more western studios when they had the chance.

Nintendo should also have not built a last gen system and expected to sell it at next-gen pricing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ibjk8HNiD1gGd0.gif

A lesson on what?

They have failed to see what the market wants.

kurbaan

Banned
Nintendo believes if they make games that are awesome enough, people will come.

But that doesn't always happen. So all they can do is release titles that are in development and go back to the drawing board on a new hardware platform.

They just released mario an awesome game. It got outsold by knack.

ymmv

Banned
Is it dumb for me to point out how small each number is?

Or is this actually really big for that market?

Serious question.

UK - 63 million people - 250,000 PS4s sold
US + Canada - 355 million people - 1,000,000 PS4s sold

You do the math.

A lesson on what?

Lessons I can think of:

• The Wii casual audience is gone. Get over it. Stop wasting R&D and marketing on a demographic that doesn't care about you anymore.
  • Gamers aren't interested in generation-old hardware.
  • Invest some of those massive profits into 3rd-party deals and exclusives. Bayonetta 2 is a good start but they need to do much, much more.
  • An online service without basic features like an account system was inexcusable in 2012 and more so in 2013. People expect these features to be there and to work.

There are more, I'm sure.

But we know they won't do fucking anything. They'll plod along believing Mario World and Mario Kart will save their console, it'll be sent to its deathbed with about 15 million LTD and their next console will be low-powered but without a needless gimmick, and will still fail for the same reasons.

Yeah, it's sad to see Nintendo be almost indifferent to the Wii U. They seem so much more focused on their handhelds that this might be a good time for them to bow out of the home console market and focus solely on their handheld offerings.

I think retail and the market will push Nintendo in a direction whether they like it or not.

They MUST be in danger of losing shelf space at this point. Retail will have four major consoles (PS3/4, 360/One) plus 3DS/2DS to push which will all move units, and it looks like Mario can't help even poor Wii U out. If it goes from shelves, it will be finished. I am still confident in my crazy mind that Wii U will not see another Christmas after this one. But that's just me. The future games will just get moved/axed.

Releasing Mario on Friday was a really stupid thing to do, it could of come out weeks before that. I wonder if the same gamers who buy Nintendo home sytems (150k of them in UK) are the same gamers that buy PS4/Xbox? That might explain lack of sales this week. Otherwise, nobody gives a shit. Also, I haven't seen a single Mario 3D World advert on UK TV, whereas the other two (PS4 more so, especially last night, holy shit) are on all the time.

It's already started in some supermarkets. My local Sainsburys and Asda have both removed all presence of the Wii U since the PS4 hit shelves (and its presence before that was pretty bad).

Scrap the console and move all their efforts onto the superb 3DS.

I think this is the best thing for them to do. Bow out with the Wii U and focus on their strengths. Them bowing out might make space for someone else to enter too...

All bets on Mario Kart.

Time to resurrect the chalkboard I think...

Nzyme32

Alright, how much do you think PS4 sell next week ?

I wouldn't be as over the top as the guy you quoted but from where I live in the UK, I haven't seen a single PS4 available, yet most stores still have Xbox Ones on the shelf.

I'd argue it's more a question of whether Sony can ship more to the UK

All that said, I am in a relatively big town. Other cities may be a much different story

emb

PS4 : 250k in 48 hours.
XBO: 170k in 2 weeks.
WIU: 150k in ~1 year.

So what this is getting at:
PS4: 125k per day (5.2k per hour)
Xbone: 12.1k per day (506 per hour)
U: 411 per day (17 per hour)

Extrapolating, we can see that this time next year, the PS4 will have sold 45.8 million (just in that one region, astonishing), Xbox One 4.5 million, and Wii U only 300,000. Let me know if I got the math wrong, but it looks like we'll have some unprecedented numbers here.

Nintendo should also have not built a last gen system and expected to sell it at next-gen pricing.

Oh this again, no please no.

They relied on the gamepad, which the majority of hardcore gamers see as a gimmick. I think it is actually very cool and something to compliment well other systems. I don't want more of the same from them.

They are in cycle right now that they alone must dig out with high quality releases:

no sales, bad 3rd party sales, less 3rd party support, less HW sales.

This has to do with bad console launch planning or they had a lot of trouble going HD. I actually think that a tad bit more of power could have helped a bit.

dalin80

Banned
Not many. There isn't any stock anywhere here.

This, they have gone from everywhere, a few xbones left and plenty of wii u's to trip over. I wouldnt have been shocked if the PS3 could have hit 300k if it wasn't stock limited.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
They have failed to see what the market wants.
That would be a fair argument, if it weren't for MS and Sony both failing to make any significant amount of money during the last few years.

The PS3 nearly killed SCE and MS are seriously considering selling the Xbox division. Obviously consumers benefit when companies are throwing money at them, but that's not "seeing what the market wants" either.

If you're saying they should have switched to an x86 CPU for better compatibility with the rest of the industry, and also not prioritized size and power consumption over performance, then I agree.
I'd even agree they could have sold the system at a loss initially, in order to push adoption.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know how Nintendo can respond to this. They can release a 3D Mario game on the same day as the PS4 launches and charge £49.99. That will show them.

That would be a fair argument, if it weren't for MS and Sony both failing to make any significant amount of money during the last few years.

The PS3 nearly killed SCE and MS are seriously considering selling the Xbox division. Obviously consumers benefit when companies are throwing money at them, but that's not "seeing what the market wants" either.

Good point. Nintendo has to make money on HW and SW, this is what they do, only this, even if they have a lot of money, they cannot burn money like MS and Sony.

Even if they don't sell as much as MS or Sony they can still make money, so this is not about competing with MS and Sony, this is about them making money and surviving as a company.

szaromir

Banned
There's nothing wrong with that post. 150k (week 1) + 20k (week 2) = 170k in 2 weeks.
Given the timescale, you either should put Xbone in 9 days or PS4 in 1 week to directly compare their performance. Still, PS4 is the better selling device by far.

So what this is getting at:
PS4: 125k per day (5.2k per hour)
Xbone: 12.1k per day (506 per hour)
U: 411 per day (17 per hour)

Extrapolating, we can see that this time next year, the PS4 will have sold 45.8 million (just in that one region, astonishing), Xbox One 4.5 million, and Wii U only 300,000. Let me know if I got the math wrong, but it looks like we'll have some unprecedented numbers here.
18.9k for Xbone. And yes, the extrapolation is meaningless.

Ansatz

Scrap the console and move all their efforts onto the superb 3DS.

3DS launched at $250 with Steel Diver and Pilotwings. Its equivalent of Pikmin 3, TW101, Sonic: LW etc. was two N64 remakes. Outdated hardware next to Vita, and guess what, no account system. 3D gimmick.

It wasn't until the holiday period when MK7 + 3DL dropped. 2012 finally got things going with something that resembled a steady stream of games. What was their big Q3 title? NSMB 2. Their holiday 2012 big hitter? Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Can someone explain to me how 3DS is superb and Wii U garbage?

PopeReal

I remember when sales didn't matter. Now that the Wii isn't on top anymore, sales matter again. Make up your mind, internet. :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
tag quote.

Is the 20k Xbone week 2 figure good for in the UK? Supply issues?

Supply issues. They are sold out everywhere in the UK at the moment. I don't know if we're getting more in next week.

But if MS can keep 20k-30k coming in a week in feed then they might surpass Sony in the UK this Xmas if PS4s are still heavily supply constrained.

I remember when sales didn't matter. Now that the Wii isn't on top anymore, sales matter again. Make up your mind, internet. :p

Since when has sales not matter. I've been on this board 8 years and we've always had sales age.

Kyon

Banned
3DS launched at $250 with Steel Diver and Pilotwings. Its equivalent of Pikmin 3, TW101, Sonic: LW etc. was two N64 remakes. Outdated hardware next to Vita, and guess what, no account system. 3D gimmick.

It wasn't until the holiday period when MK7 + 3DL dropped. 2012 finally got things going with something that resembled a steady stream of games. What was their big Q3 title? NSMB 2. Their holiday 2012 big hitter? Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Can someone explain to me how 3DS is superb and Wii U garbage?

Oop

tuffy

They just released mario an awesome game. It got outsold by knack.
Exactly. We might like to believe the market's a meritocracy - and Nintendo's corporate line seems to share that sentiment - but it takes more than just great titles to attract sales. If a product doesn't target the right people at the right price with the right software at the right time, not even the very best games will help.

Racer1977

Xbox One is supply limited in the UK, but if you really want one, with a little research and patience, they can be picked up with relative ease.

Given UK online retailers are stating they can't guarantee a PS4 untill after Christmas, I imagine every system that goes on sale in stores, be that 50k, 100k, even 250k, will be sold before the turn of the year.

Top Bottom