• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] UK: One sold 170k in two weeks (20k in week two), Wii U around 150k LTD

Arxisz

iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

Haha this is excellent.

Enosh

Lessons I can think of:

• The Wii casual audience is gone. Get over it. Stop wasting R&D and marketing on a demographic that doesn't care about you anymore.
  • Gamers aren't interested in generation-old hardware.
  • Invest some of those massive profits into 3rd-party deals and exclusives. Bayonetta 2 is a good start but they need to do much, much more.
  • An online service without basic features like an account system was inexcusable in 2012 and more so in 2013. People expect these features to be there and to work.

There are more, I'm sure.
-true, but imo a cheap console might get them back, 300€ isn't
-I'd say most nintendo fans don't really care
-yeah I'd consider third party core games dead on nintendo platforms, it's the kinda true perception that core third party games won't sell and a certain amount of negative history between nintendo and third parties
-see 2, idk how much of that nintendo fans want

imho, a 150-200€ console, forget third party core games and up to date hardware, just something cheap for mario and zelda fans so it's more of an impulse buy, try to get casuals back with the low price point and some casual games in addition to the usual mario and zelda

releasing a 400€ console to rival the 400-500€ ps5/"xbox one two" just doesn't make sense imho, it will take a miracle to convince those early adopters and third parties to go with nintendo instead of the other 2, so that's a loosing battle and casual and people who just want something to play mario on don't want to pay the high entry price

Racer1977

I think retail and the market will push Nintendo in a direction whether they like it or not.

They MUST be in danger of losing shelf space at this point. Retail will have four major consoles (PS3/4, 360/One) plus 3DS/2DS to push which will all move units, and it looks like Mario can't help even poor Wii U out. If it goes from shelves, it will be finished. I am still confident in my crazy mind that Wii U will not see another Christmas after this one. But that's just me. The future games will just get moved/axed.

Releasing Mario on Friday was a really stupid thing to do, it could of come out weeks before that. I wonder if the same gamers who buy Nintendo home sytems (150k of them in UK) are the same gamers that buy PS4/Xbox? That might explain lack of sales this week. Otherwise, nobody gives a shit. Also, I haven't seen a single Mario 3D World advert on UK TV, whereas the other two (PS4 more so, especially last night, holy shit) are on all the time.
I don't think so, Nintendo have never really been a big player in the UK beyond their handhelds and the Wii.

Kids will buy the latest Nintendo handheld, but when older they move onto the Sony/MS consoles, and replace their handheld with a phone/tablet.

Sony will have a PS2 level succes again it seems.

Haha, no. Not gonna happen because Microsoft will be watching. A PS2 situation is very very hard to replicate. I think Sony are gonna have a great generation but it's too early to tell if they're gonna be first or have PS2 sales momentum.

traveler

Not Wario
The PS2 type scenario is gone forever. Third party exclusives are dead, and third party exclusives were kind of the bread and butter of the PS2. That leaves Sony's first party, which is a considerably less impressive proposition than what the PS2 offered.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
They just released mario an awesome game. It got outsold by knack.
God damn, this is probably true in the UK.

Lessons I can think of:
  • The Wii casual audience is gone. Get over it. Stop wasting R&D and marketing on a demographic that doesn't care about you anymore.
  • Gamers aren't interested in generation-old hardware.
  • Invest some of those massive profits into 3rd-party deals and exclusives. Bayonetta 2 is a good start but they need to do much, much more.
  • An online service without basic features like an account system was inexcusable in 2012 and more so in 2013. People expect these features to be there and to work.

There are more, I'm sure.
I completely agree with the bolded, but MS is still heavily chasing the casual audience with media integration and motion gaming, and I still find it hard to believe most people not buying a Wii U are doing so because of the lack of proper online accounts. I'd love to see a survey or study on that. Regarding less powerful hardware, I've also addressed that in my previous post, and to an extent I agree.

trixx

I don't understand how the 3ds according to other posters is doing so well in this region. I mean shouldn't the Vita be doing a lot better in this region?

Yes the 3ds is much more appealing to the kids but i'd assume the vita would be doing just as good

NHale

Anyone making conclusions regarding the X1 vs PS4 sales based on this numbers are really jumping to conclusions. The PS4 is clearly the most wanted console in Europe and it's not even a question about that. But everything can change in a couple of years. However the WiiU situation is just there to everyone to see and while some will try to make excuses for this, there is not much that can be said. Nintendo needs to act and do something, strangely enough it's those that love the brand that want this debacle to continue. Really weird.

UK hates Nintendo, is indifferent to MS, and loves Sony. PS4 will continue to flourish there.

Is that the official excuse now? Hey guys UK hates Nintendo even after the Wii dominated UK sales until a couple of years ago. By your logic and considering WiiU sales compared to PS4/X1, every country where it released hates Nintendo now.

Even funnier considering the best selling last-gen console in the UK is the X360.

But keep trying.

The PS2 type scenario is gone forever. Third party exclusives are dead, and third party exclusives were kind of the bread and butter of the PS2. That leaves Sony's first party, which is a considerably less impressive proposition than what the PS2 offered.

I'm not sure what this is in response to, but Sony admitted themselves that 3rd party exclusives were dead when they launched PS3. Their strategy has been to grow their 1st party division which is stronger than ever now.

Can someone explain to me how 3DS is superb and Wii U garbage?

It is superb. You brought the Vita into it (poor bastard) for no reason other than to in-directly highlight how good the 3DS is - even with lesser hardware. It's no good highlighting how shitty the 3DS start was as it didn't have a competitor.

The Wii U has been blown out of the water in one week and is never getting back in again here (UK).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't understand how the 3ds according to other posters are doing so well in this region compared to the wii u. I mean shouldn't the Vita be doing a lot better in this region?

The concept of console gaming on the go has never been a popular, which was the Vita's main point hence the Vita's all round abysmal sales. Nintendo has a lot of franchise that work well in a handheld, a type of device that has always sold well, and a device they've placed the majority of their effort on.

With Sony the opposite has been the case with the Vita, which came off a predecessor that had dropped to irrelevance in most markets outside of Japan. Nintendo also always been naturally stronger with their handhelds than consoles.

-true, but imo a cheap console might get them back, 300€ isn't
-I'd say most nintendo fans don't really care
-yeah I'd consider third party core games dead on nintendo platforms, it's the kinda true perception that core third party games won't sell and a certain amount of negative history between nintendo and third parties
-see 2, idk how much of that nintendo fans want

imho, a 150-200€ console, forget third party core games and up to date hardware, just something cheap for mario and zelda fans so it's more of an impulse buy, try to get casuals back with the low price point and some casual games in addition to the usual mario and zelda

releasing a 400€ console to rival the 400-500€ ps5/"xbox one two" just doesn't make sense imho, it will take a miracle to convince those early adopters and third parties to go with nintendo instead of the other 2, so that's a loosing battle and casual and people who just want something to play mario on don't want to pay the high entry price

So a future of Nintendo is hipermarket console ?

105887951_2_644x461_konsola-overmax-multiactive-ruchowa-zdjecia.jpg

With big letters " 40 Mario games included " ?

Nobody likes MS. 360 bots always falsely assume UK liked MS this gen, because they sold a couple of units. But in reality MS just forged the numbers. Same happens now. PS4 is king. Accept it!!

Uoj6nF7.gif

Seriously, I get that people are happy about the PS4 selling more (although it's not surprising, Sony shipped more and had the better price), but to pretend the last eight years didn't happen is just madness...

Ah well. BUY BEYOND Y'ALL. SCREW NEXT GEN.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
3DS launched at $250 with Steel Diver and Pilotwings. Its equivalent of Pikmin 3, TW101, Sonic: LW etc. was two N64 remakes. Outdated hardware next to Vita, and guess what, no account system. 3D gimmick.

It wasn't until the holiday period when MK7 + 3DL dropped. 2012 finally got things going with something that resembled a steady stream of games. What was their big Q3 title? NSMB 2. Their holiday 2012 big hitter? Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Can someone explain to me how 3DS is superb and Wii U garbage?

I like you. I honestly think the Wii U is a better system than the 3DS. They have a lot of the same problems with outdated hardware and whatnot, but at least the Wii U brings something genuinely new and interesting going for it with the gamepad. The only new thing 3DS had is 3D which is something that adds absolutely nothing to gaming. And at least the Wii U isn't missing any control options compared to the competition. 3DS missing the right stick is a joke. And the Wii U has at least something resembling western third party support. Very weak compared to the competition yes, but at least there's number of notable third party ports on Wii U. 3DS doesn't even have that. The first party lineup is similar and I'd say the Wii U has had a better first year in terms of first party than the 3DS had. All the big Nintendo franchises will be on Wii U in time and they'll mostly be better than the versions on the 3DS due to superior hardware. If the 3DS is superb then the Wii U must be a godly system. I don't even know what that makes the PS4 or the Vita.

20k? Did the XB1's all sell out, or are they sitting on shelves?

Depends where you look.

Argos have stock (they also have some PS4 stock, but it's limited and depends on location), but other stores seem to be OOS right now with some stock reportedly trickling in.

John Lewis is OOS for both, once they have stock readily available, that's when you when stock is flowing freely and there's plenty of it...

Overview of North London in Argos:

Xbox One:

PS4 solo:

PS4 Killzone bundle:

There are other PS4 bundles, but I can't be bothered to go through them all, but they all show up as sold out if one enters "Barnet" into the search.

Depends where you look.

Argos have stock (they also have some PS4 stock, but it's limited and depends on location), but other stores seem to be OOS right now with some stock reportedly trickling in.

John Lewis is OOS for both, once they have stock readily available, that's when you when stock is flowing freely and there's plenty of it...

Yeah, JL is a good barometer of stock availability. They won't get priority stock from Sony or MS, if they have it then everyone else will also have it.

Top Bottom