• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 13GB game patch unreasonable?

Recently a patch for Dead Rising 3 was made available for download and it came in at a whopping 13GB, which is one of the biggest game patches in history. Is it unreasonable for a developer to impose such a massive download, just so that you can play a game that you’ve already paid for?

If you have a capped, broadband internet connection this could mean serious cost implications for you. To put it into perspective a Blu-Ray disk can hold 25GB in a single layer and to date, Playstation 3 and 4 games have only ever been delivered on single layer disks. 13GB is over 50 percent of the total disks capacity. Two patches like this and you’ve downloaded an entire Blu-Ray disk.

Another implication to a 13GB patch is that it could potentially pave the way for other developers to think it’s “OK” to release patches of this size. Imagine owning two or three games that all need 13GB+ patch downloads. It would be a stupendous wast of time just waiting for these to download, never mind the double or triple digit dollar costs in bandwidth.

http://8bitbot.com/13gb-game-patch-unreasonable/

Freki

Depends - if it's genuine new content than not. If it's lack of delta patching than it's ridiculuos...

Need changelog to see if unreasonable.

*Edit*
http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

- Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
- Various Stability Fixes.
- Various Performance Improvements.
- Online Stability improvements.
- Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
- Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
- Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
- Some improvements to item pickups.
- Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
- Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
- Fixed some mission scripting issues.
- Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
- Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
- Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
- Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
- SmartGlass stability fix.

Seems DLC is included in patch but not unlocked, when you "buy" the DLC you will simply get an unlock key.

I hope this isn't a trend.

studyguy

Witcher 2's Enhanced Edition patch was like 12gigs on PC.
If it adds more content, then whatever... it's 2014 though, one would have hoped that ISPs wouldn't be restricting us bandwidth caps at this point.

Unfortunately ISPs gonna ISP in most cases.

Then again if it's all hotfixes, then jesus christ what was the point of the initial release?

Nymphae

Banned
Completely. One reason some people prefer disc based media is that they might not have the bandwith to allow them to use that much data. I would be furious if this was the norm and I had bad bandwith caps.

As games get larger and more complex this is obviously going to become unavoidable, but right now at least, the impression many people get is that devs are shipping unfinished games in hopes they can just patch it later. That is unacceptable.

stuminus3

Either way, it sure makes that little plastic disk in a box less and less important. Games are going to end up with very little resemblance to what's actually on that disk in the long term.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have no clue, so I'll ignorantly say yes and go happily about my day. It really makes no difference to me.

see5harp

Any update larger than a gigabyte is unreasonable assuming it's just bug fixes. Last gen updates on 360 were like a few megabytes. Having to download a gigabyte update for Killzone on Vita was hilarious. If you are forcing people to download this bullshit at least have the decency to release a bug fix list on your website.

EDIT: it's especially stupid because I didn't even have any problems playing dead rising single player or with a friend. I certainly didn't notice anything that seemed straight up broken.

Yes. Fix yoh shit.

(Ironically enough, this is a direct reaction to capcoms on-disk dlc antics. What the should be doing is programing their games in such a way that the people who want the DLC download it and play it, and people who don't can play their game as normal, even in co op with a DLC owner)

But that wont happen.

Minions

For people with bandwidth limits (some as low as 20-50GB) I would say hell yes. Comcast (in many areas) has reinstanted the cap of 250GB, which is one of the highest caps. Some areas they have yet to reimpose the cap which is great.

I just can't imagine the patch did not have a ton of redundant stuff included if it was that large.

Nymphae

Banned
By that point, you should be mailed a replacement disk for free, just like in the good old days.

This is an incredible idea. If I have to download more than 50% of your game after I bought and installed it, that should be on you.

pixlexic

Banned
Something was screwed up enough that they had redone load the entire game it seems? Or close to it.
Maybe it ties into the last min drm switch?

Banned
It depends. If it's for DLC, no.

If it's to make Aliens: Colonial Marines look like the E3 demo build and be a better game, yes.

Sean

Banned
I already thought some of the patch sizes last-gen were unacceptable (for example Resistance 3's day one patch = 700mb).

So yes. I don't know if this is reasonable but patches should be limited to under 50mb imo.

I'm not a fan of patches that contain DLC content. Just separate them...

I agree but it depends on the size. When I had Blops 2 we had to download a patch when all of the dlc gun camos were released so everyone can see them in game. I was fine with that as the patch was small and took no time to download.

The Dead Rising 3 patch is an extreme case and a patch of this size to make sure you have all of dlc downloaded shouldn't be imposed on anyone.

To answer your question OP. Yes the size of this patch is unreasonable

njean777

Yes and I seriously hope MS fixes the patching system on the xbox one. Nothing on the ps4 even matches the size of the patches on the Xbox one. I think the biggest patch on ps4 so far that I have seen is 600-700mb for COD and I believe a BF4 patch was about that size as well.

OIf course it is. It's bigger than most games of this gen.
It's bigger than NBA Live 2014 (I believe it's 9Gb!)

The problem is that I only see things getting worse in this case with the addition of DLCs, not only bug fixes.

LanceX2

Banned
Wow, you guys need to check facts. It didn't use 13gb of data and does much more then dlc

number one , the install goes straight to 50% and only used 7gb of my ISP data.

number 2 , it increases game from 22gb to 24gb. Most of the patch was rewriting the install

number 3 it did ALOT of fixes including performance fixes for better fps.
if your complaining about them improving the game its silly.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Depends on the context.

If it's a 13Gb content patch of fixes and updates for unlocked content, no, that's not unreasonable.

If it's a 13Gb patch that the majority of which includes pre-loading of locked DLC content, fuck yes, utterly unreasonable.

sqwarlock

Seems DLC is included in patch but not unlocked, when you "buy" the DLC you will simply get an unlock key.

I hope this isn't a trend.

If this is the case, I'd say this is beyond unreasonable. This means that people who may not want the DLC at all are still having to waste their bandwidth downloading it.

Top Bottom