• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 13GB game patch unreasonable?

LeleSocho

Banned
Unreasonable if it's only some bugfix.
Totally ok if does some heavy change on the game.

Sincerely i don't know what's the case for DR3.

Why are we downloading stuff we cannot access again... ?

In theory, if I unlock it via hacking, would it be legal for me to use the content since they delivered it themselves to my system?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wow, you guys are so clueless. It didn't use 13gb of data and does much more then dlc

number one , the install goes straight to 50% and only used 7gb of my ISP data.

number 2 , it increases game from 22gb to 24gb. Most of the patch was rewriting the install

number 3 it did ALOT of fixes including performance fixes for better fps.
if your complaining about them improving the game then you are just dumb.

If complaining about the fixes makes me dumb, what does it make you for buying a game they knowingly shipped so broken that it needed such a huge patch?

sajj316

Including DLC content on a patch is a horrible trend. Patches should address issues. DLC is for new content. I don't care for DLC so why would you take up my bandwidth with it?

LanceX2

Banned
So it's a kludge designed to make up for a terribly designed co-op system?

Yeah, that doesn't make it any better.

BTW: You should calm down and quit it with the vitriol.

I'm very calm :D . I'm just tired of the fan boys throwing hate and incorrect facts about a system they dislike.

Yes. If you need to patch your game to the tune of 13 GB either it is:

A) Massively broken, or
B) Designed in such a way to no accept incremental upgrades

and both of those things are unacceptable.

DLC is different, and in that cad I welcome 50+ GB of extra content, internet connection be damned. But a patch? Sorry, there's no reason it should be 13 GB.

I suppose it depends on how much the patch does and how necessary the big filesize is. If it's the only way to make the changes needed I'd rather suck it up and download it than see them unaddressed.

Jarmel

Banned
They the devs should delay the game.

That seemingly isn't going to happen. The process has been changed to "We'll release either a broken or buggy game and fix it later". There is certainly a balance that should be maintained but companies seemingly have no interest in maintaining it. So once these buggy games are out, I'm of the opinion that they do whatever it takes to fix it.

LanceX2

Banned
If complaining about the fixes makes me dumb, what does it make you for buying a game they knowingly shipped so broken that it needed such a huge patch?

since I'm enjoying the game quite alot , it makes me feel better that its improved. Should the wit her not have released enhanced editions?

Hmmm guys.....again since you all don't read peoples posts

the patch only downloads 7 GB, it starts at 50%

the patch only adds 1.5GB of to game size

meaning dlc only added 1.5GB and you get a much better game for a 7GB downlad

WTF does this even mean?!

Executive Producer Josh Bridge said:
With all of the fixes and everything, it’s a large update of about 13 gigs, but we really recommend getting it to ensure compatibility with the online players and all of the upcoming add-on content that’s coming out shortly as well.

It's not a patch, it's the DLC. It's disgusting that they're getting away with this.
Sure they've listed what's in the "patch", but I'd like to see them break down how big each fix takes up. Coz I'm guessing about 12.5GB of the patch is just the fucking DLC's backdoor install.

Alx

Don't act like being booted from PS3 and 360 games with friends because you failed to download the free compatibility pack was the better option. As sad as it sounds, this big patch is the lesser of two evils.

I didn't think of DR3 as a multiplayer game, but you've got a point. If the big patch lets you play with other people who bought DLC while you didn't, it is not completely excessive. It should still give you the possibility to opt out though, or to download it later, at the risk of getting booted from a game (but then it was your decision).

What about this? http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=97802357&postcount=614

The 50% is indicative of the total install size of the game, not the total size of the patch, at least according to that post.

Second, uhhh, 7 gigs is still too goddamn big for a mandatory patch.

To put it into perspective a Blu-Ray disk can hold 25GB in a single layer and to date, Playstation 3 and 4 games have only ever been delivered on single layer disks

Uh no? Pretty sure many PS3 exclusives were on dual layered disks.

What did the patch change anyway?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
since I'm enjoying the game quite alot , it makes me feel better that its improved. Should the wit her not have released enhanced editions?

Witcher 2 Enhanced came a year after the original release and added actual content. This came 3+ months after release and fixed issues that shouldn't have existed on a single-platform game, and added DLC you need to pay more to access.

Sure, that's exactly the same.

It is absolutely unreasonable. On my internet connection not only would that take roughly 10-12 hours, I'm on a bandwidth cap during weekdays so I'd have to wait until Saturday/Sunday to download it. Considering the patch dropped Monday, if I were to own an Xbox One and wanted to have played DR3 on that day I'd have to wait 5 days before being able to.

Not only that, but disgustingly sized "patches" like that make the automatic updates option completely useless because I'd have to turn it off so I could avoid bandwidth murdering ones like that.

I thought this whole problem of DLC having to either be on disc or a forced "patch" for everyone to keep online compatibility would be eliminated with this gen. Just why on earth can they not have it set up in a way that if you don't have the content needed to join someone's game it'll automatically download the required content in the background (at a trade off of load times)?

I clearly said in my opinion, please don't be that kind of person that tries to change it. Big patches are regular to me even on the Xbox 360 when I played Defiance.
Defiance is an MMO. There are expectations that come with that when it comes to updates and patches.

Including DLC content on a patch is a horrible trend. Patches should address issues. DLC is for new content. I don't care for DLC so why would you take up my bandwidth with it?

This is my thinking...if they're patching, then just patch. If they're forcing the DLC with the patch then like, what, why? It's space on the drive (negligible for some, not for others), it adds to the bandwidth cap for others. And for others I guess they don't care, but I just don't understand the principle behind forcing DLC onto your drive that you may or may not ever purchase.

I remember when the ~20 meg patch required to fix Daggerfall was unreasonable.

On 56k...man that was brutal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Did the patch add much content? When I first saw the headlines I assumed people were getting excited over some huge content patch, and only later realized they were saying the patch was unreasonably large.

That doesn't make sense

The patch downloads 7 gigs.

1.5 gigs are added to the game

what did the other 5.5 gigs do?

Briarios

I'm very calm :D . I'm just tired of the fan boys throwing hate and incorrect facts about a system they dislike.

I find it odd that you're calling people fanboys when they're simple responding to a specific situation regarding a specific game from a specific publisher -- who has pulled this crap before. It's not acceptable, and the only way to let them know is to voice displeasure. Don't be a sheep that just accepts whatever is thrown at you. And, be careful about throwing that fanboy moniker around lest it stick to you.

I feel horrible for people stuck with slow ISPs or data caps. It's just so messed up.

LanceX2

Banned

WTF does this even mean?!

for most or all people it says 13GB but starts at 50%. My data usage only went up 7GB for the download plus all I did for the day.

while yes 7GB is still huge. Improving a game is not a bad thing. We all know every launch game was rushed. At least they are fixing it.

as for game size on hard drive, it only added 1.5 GB , the rest was rewriting the install.

RulkezX

My bandwidth monitor says your wrong.

The 50% proves nothing , all XO downloads show some weird installed % when patching , Forza 5 downloaded 325MB for me the other day and the download started at 82%

13GB patches are unacceptable , period.

Patches take parts of the game files out & replaces them with new ones. So you aren't losing hardly any HDD space.

Yeah, but the main focus of the discussion here is the size of the download itself, not how much hard drive space it takes up in the end, right?

studyguy

I remember when the ~20 meg patch required to fix Daggerfall was unreasonable.

Just a matter of scale. I'm personally surprised people have issues with patches that are a couple hundred megabytes still. With my connection, that takes only minutes if that. Then again I'm not rolling on some backwood dialup ISP with caps, so I can understand if people call it a problem.

If someone expected me to download a patch that was 80MB on my dreamcast a few years back when I was online, I would have told them to get lost as well. It's all relative to what connection you have access to I guess. Gigantic patches aren't really strange to me on PC either so I don't know.

Zomba13

Need changelog to see if unreasonable.

*Edit*
http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

- Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
- Various Stability Fixes.
- Various Performance Improvements.
- Online Stability improvements.
- Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
- Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
- Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
- Some improvements to item pickups.
- Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
- Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
- Fixed some mission scripting issues.
- Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
- Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
- Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
- Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
- SmartGlass stability fix.

Seems DLC is included in patch but not unlocked, when you "buy" the DLC you will simply get an unlock key.

I hope this isn't a trend.

It's bullshit. It's ok for the people that want that DLC, then they don't have to buy it and download it, just buy it but if you don't want that stuff it's a massive waste of space and bandwidth.

Leave the DLC as DLC. If people want that on their systems they will buy it and then download it. Don't force it on people and then hope they'll buy it because it's already there (look at how much people hate on disc DLC). If it's stuff like added items and stuff for multiplayer then it's more reasonable though but I doubt it would need 13GB for just items/weapons and clothing.

It's absolute BS. I have half a mind to trade the game, as I haven't downloaded the patch and can't play it otherwise. I live in Canada and have pisspoor DSL and this will absolutely push me over my 120GB limit for the month. Even worse, big downloads like this knocks everyone else on my network off for the hours that it'll take to download.

Who approved this nonsense? Even the 5GB update in Forza 5 was too much. Please stop this anyone and everyone who makes these kinds of decisions.

Oh, and the clincher? It doesn't even add any significant graphical improvements to the game (which suffers from a bunch of issues visually and performance-wise). It's just a DLC compatibility patch that pre-loads itself so when you buy it it's ready. Absolute nonsense.

LanceX2

Banned
I find it odd that you're calling people fanboys when they're simple responding to a specific situation regarding a specific game from a specific publisher -- who has pulled this crap before. It's not acceptable, and the only way to let them know is to voice displeasure. Don't be a sheep that just accepts whatever is thrown at you. And, be careful about throwing that fanboy moniker around lest it stick to you.

I feel horrible for people stuck with slow ISPs or data caps. It's just so messed up.

games were rushed, while I don't agree with broken games I do agree with patching instead of doing nothing. The game was very playable before patch

I was furious with total war Rome 2 , that was a broken game. This isn't.

dreamfall

Gah! The color scheme on that website link is blinding!

But yes, I do think it's a bit unreasonable. If the game requires a major overhaul, it's time to delay shipping it. 13GB would've been a nightmare with any slow internet connection.

But if it included fixes, and a patch to lock new DLC (but added it to everyone's game), we've got some bigger problems ahead.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The trend of including large paid DLC in updates is really annoying. Xcom did that recently too on the PC, the game had like a 2GB patch that added all the expansion content, which does next to nothing if you don't buy the expansion.

Dougald

Totally unreasonable, having just redownloaded most of my steam games, most were smaller than that

If I have 120mb internet and I found the dead rising patch a pain (which I did), how are people on slower/metered plans going to feel?

Top Bottom