• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 13GB game patch unreasonable?

Maybe a choice between downloading fixes only (and not being able to co-op with dlc owners) or getting the entire 13 gb package would have been the way to go.

Kinyou

Need changelog to see if unreasonable.

*Edit*
http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

- Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
Seems DLC is included in patch but not unlocked, when you "buy" the DLC you will simply get an unlock key.

I hope this isn't a trend.
Yeah it's kind of dumb. What happened to compatibility dlc packs

That doesn't make sense

The patch downloads 7 gigs.

1.5 gigs are added to the game

what did the other 5.5 gigs do?
Most likely redownloaded stuff that was already there. Afaik is it easier to replace the old files instead of re configuring them

This is my thinking...if they're patching, then just patch. If they're forcing the DLC with the patch then like, what, why?

Probably because of segregation of the on-line player base. There are certain types of DLC where it is useful to have all the players with the content data even though not everyone purchased it. For example, to be able to play against a DLC character, or see an opponent with a DLC item or costume, etc.
But for things like map packs or episodic content, it doesn't make any sense to include that type of content in a patch if you ask me. Unless the publisher's goal is some sort of maneuver to pay less fees for having content for sale.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Probably because of segregation of the on-line player base. There are certain types of DLC where it is useful to have all the players with the content data even though not everyone purchased it. For example, to be able to play against a DLC character, or see an opponent with a DLC item or costume, etc.

Then they need to find a better system, because a 13Gb patch because otherwise "DLC breaks things" isn't an acceptable solution.

sangreal

Hmmm guys.....again since you all don't read peoples posts

the patch only downloads 7 GB, it starts at 50%

the patch only adds 1.5GB of to game size

meaning dlc only added 1.5GB and you get a much better game for a 7GB downlad

no, it starts at 50% because the patch size is roughly half of the final size (24.8GB). All xbox one patches are like that. You're still downloading somewhere between 12.5 and 13GB

LanceX2

Banned
I find it odd that you're calling people fanboys when they're simple responding to a specific situation regarding a specific game from a specific publisher -- who has pulled this crap before. It's not acceptable, and the only way to let them know is to voice displeasure. Don't be a sheep that just accepts whatever is thrown at you. And, be careful about throwing that fanboy moniker around lest it stick to you.

I feel horrible for people stuck with slow ISPs or data caps. It's just so messed up.

no, it starts at 50% because the patch size is roughly half of the final size (24.8GB). All xbox one patches are like that. You're still downloading somewhere between 12.5 and 13GB

your wrong, my data usage only showed 7 GB for the patch/day and many others have stated the same

A "patch" should not include DLC... thats just weighing down the pipes (bandwidth) passing data most people will never access to begin with.

taizuke

I'd have no problem if buying the DLC meant downloading a 10-13 GB file. The problem arises when you force people to download the DLC by including it in the patch. If i'm just downloading a patch i shouldn't have to download the DLC as well. Specially when the file size is that big.

I do get that if i wanted the DLC i just download a key and voila! Cause the DLC installed with the patch. But, it's just too big a file and i can't in good conscience be okay with it when not everyone cares about the DLC and is forced to download it.

Phades

*Edit*
http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-diving-deep-into-the-add-on-content-of-dead-rising-3

- Various Stability Fixes.
- Various Performance Improvements.
- Online Stability improvements.
- Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
- Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
- Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
- Some improvements to item pickups.
- Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
- Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
- Fixed some mission scripting issues.
- Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
- Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
- Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
- Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
- SmartGlass stability fix.
Looks like the majority of that patch is re-downloading fixed versions of the various game maps that had issues.

I understand the desire as a developer to make sure everyone is always on the same page, and there's no "sorry, we're booting you from co-op with this person, go to the marketplace to download the compatibility update!" dialog or something. And since they figured that the system can download updates in standby, I could see them thinking it was the better choice, especially since Dead Rising 3 has an option for drop-in/drop-out co-op while you're playing single player. So in theory, this way is more "seamless" without introducing extra dialog boxes or whatever.

That said, judging from the response, it's probably a better approach in the future to just literally disable the co-op menu option unless you download the patch. Which is kinda how it was done on older systems. Or maybe add an option to the Xbox One settings menu to "limit downloads over metered connections" or something. I believe Windows 8 has a setting like this.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you decline the update? Can the game be played single player at all while still being connected to Xbox Live?

kmg90

I'm all for including universal DLC content in patches (ie. clothes, characters, weapons that would show up in multiplayer/co-op where the other players haven't bought DLC)

However including all the assets in a patch that would make downloading the DLC merely a small key file is bit much to ask.

The PS3 update system that people complain about updates taking too long did the former (and sometimes the latter)...

It's why "free DLC" would be released along side updates on the 360 due to the patch file size limits set by Microsoft.

balohna

I was told by a friend in the industry that Xbox One patches are, by default, the size of the game itself. Probably a relic of the "install everything" days.

Development teams can strip this down to just what's needed, but that requires extra work. It seems like maybe the DR3 team couldn't figure that out so they threw in the DLC content just to use up more of the 13 GB.

I'm very calm :D . I'm just tired of the fan boys throwing hate and incorrect facts about a system they dislike.
Nobody is being a fanboy in here, you've just been making assumptions and aggressively throwing around insults. I'd calm down with that if I were you and wanted to stick around GAF.

It's incredibly unreasonable. Is there anyone out there who would even dispute this?

Sure different system, different game, etc. but Super Mario 3D World is roughly a 1.7 GB download. For the entire game. Considering that, yes, I do think a 13 gb patch is insane.

LanceX2

Banned
It's incredibly unreasonable. Is there anyone out there who would even dispute this?

Sure different system, different game, etc. but Super Mario 3D World is roughly a 1.7 GB download. For the entire game. Considering that, yes, I do think a 13 gb patch is insane.

your right, my words were harsh, just annoys me when alot of people bandwagon with little facts

vg260

Looks like the majority of that patch is re-downloading fixed versions of the various game maps that had issues.

The first item (DLC) is likely 90+% of the data. Fixes don't necessarily mean replaced assets. Assets (textures/audio) take up space, but code is trivial by comparison (correct if wrong)

fertygo

Its take me 40 hour nonstop to DL that lol
Maybe I'll never participating in 8th gen and further if this became standard routine.

Gestault

It's absolutely unreasonable, and I wish it were unacceptable. And in the DR3 case, the idea of lumping large amounts of data from DLC packs in with mandatory updates feels like a punishment to the part of the audience who hasn't chosen to buy the DLC.

One of the thing I appreciated from last gen was the requirement of a top-end limit to updates in the 360 ecosystem. I know this created come cases of inconvenience for particular titles, but for me, it was worth it. It made patches a completely unobtrusive process. This is something that will effect my buying decisions.

Occam

It basically means that the game was completely unfinished and should not have gone gold. Wasn't it the same with Forza 5?

Absolutely unreasonable, especially in an ecosystem that doesn't currently support extending or swapping out hard disk space.

Its even more unreasonable if a hefty chunk of that is DLC content that most buyers won't even see.

Keep the updates small, keep the downloads short, and keep the updates relevant to the player.

Ludist210

13 GB would take me too long to download, so yeah. If it's for a laundry list of fixes or to complete an unfinished product, then it's totally unreasonable. If it adds additional content for free...still unreasonable, but a bit more understandable.

For this generation no...

Goddam, DC Universe randomly updates with 10gig+ patches every once in a while. I don't really care. But I don't have a X1, I'm guessing it is more annoying?

Dabanton

I get the feeling people with internet caps are going to be crying a lot this gen in regards to DLC and forced compatibility updates in MP games.

It was unreasonable for THIS patch.

1.) The DLC it added was not free. The DLC represents the bulk of the 13GB.

2.) The game stability updates could have and should have been separate downloads for those who did not and were not planning to buy the DLC.

IF the DLC had been free...no, even then, it still should have been separated and an optional 10GB install or whatever. But I generally don't mind a big update if it's adding big things for fre.

It basically means that the game was completely unfinished and should not have gone gold. Wasn't it the same with Forza 5?

No it doesn't, the majority of the 13GB was dlc.

No, you can just choose not to download/install it and play it like normal. Online play requires it though, as far as I know.

So it's the same as last gen, once higher internet speeds come around no one will care.

Goldenhen

If it is included paid DLC contents then yes it is unreasonable because not everyone buy the DLC so it is a waste of space with limited 500GB for those who choose not to buy DLC. They should have made paid DLC as seperate downloadable to give us options to download.

SmartBase

Witcher 2's Enhanced Edition patch was like 12gigs on PC.
If it adds more content, then whatever... it's 2014 though, one would have hoped that ISPs wouldn't be restricting us bandwidth caps at this point.

Unfortunately ISPs gonna ISP in most cases.

Then again if it's all hotfixes, then jesus christ what was the point of the initial release?

Witcher 2's EE patch didn't have locked DLC, sure it was big but at least you knew you'd use all the data.

It's completely unreasonable to waste that space if it's for DLC that might not even be bought. Battlefield is arguably the worst culprit with how they're incapable of separating DLC from patches.

It's stupid large imo and dumb just like how I think Street Fighter 4 on PS3 being around 20GB to download while it's around 5GB on PC/360 is dumb, but not "unreasonable." Games are getting bigger ridiculously big this gen. Their patches are too.

If you have no internet, ridiculously slow internet where this is like an all-day download, or extremely limited internet like AU where their home bandwidth cap is more in line with a US cellphone cap, I can see you being upset though.

Septimius

The map meshes take basically no space at all. Graphic rendering issues are code changes. All the things in the patch besides the DLC should equal a small patch.

*Edit*

- Various Stability Fixes.
- Various Performance Improvements.
- Online Stability improvements.
- Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
- Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
- Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
- Some improvements to item pickups.
- Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
- Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
- Fixed some mission scripting issues.
- Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
- Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
- Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
- Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
- SmartGlass stability fix.

Seems DLC is included in patch but not unlocked, when you "buy" the DLC you will simply get an unlock key.

This is why I believe whole heartedly, YES, it is unreasonable. To make people download paid for DLC< even if they were never going to buy it, is just a really poor development choice.

Most games make you download the DLC, after you pay for it. Why they went this route, forcing everyone to download paid for DLC, whether they want to buy it, or want to download it at all, is pretty ridiculous.

Robot Pants

Coupling a patch with unpaid for DLC is a really really really really stupid idea. But it's fucking Capcom so I'm not surprised one bit. They'll probably keep doing it too.

DAT #1 DLC STRATEGY

TransTrender

Gold Member
This is probably a symptom of the always online, 24hr check in, used game lockdown, and whatever other cockamainy ideas they wanted to implement.

Phades

The map meshes take basically no space at all. Graphic rendering issues are code changes. All the things in the patch besides the DLC should equal a small patch.

Isn't that dependant on the delivery of it? They were fixing holes in the world after all among other things. The rest of what is in there does not sound like it would take up GBs worth of space.

Top Bottom