• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 13GB game patch unreasonable?

malfcn

I can find it reasonable if it is adding or fixing something. But it is unreasonable to required but contains DLC. If someone has no intention of buying the DLC but wants to co-op, forcing them to download DLC feels wrong.

I didn't enjoy how long it took. Took me nearly 3 hours on a 20Mb connection.

How quickly the digital future is now being unreasonable.
Before the patches and size of the games being known, so many people were all in.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
a game doesn't warrant release if it needs a 13gb patch to fix it in the first place, surely?

I'm sure there's plenty of publishers out there that would disagree with that statement. Especially if it means missing the launch window.

Alienous

When it's probably because you couldn't implement a better system for allowing CO-OP and DLC, I think it's pretty shitty.

On the one hand 13GB is nuts. On the other, the previous generation had games ruined by online players not having all the content. Poor Mortal Kombat...

see5harp

I already thought some of the patch sizes last-gen were unacceptable (for example Resistance 3's day one patch = 700mb).

So yes. I don't know if this is reasonable but patches should be limited to under 50mb imo.

Of course it's reasonable. Patches shouldn't even exceed 10 MB. There are some serious software engineering design issues if you're forcing players to redownload assets that are already on the disk (which is obvious if an update is that large).

LanceX2

Banned
s. The reason for dlc download is compatibility in coop if one has content a other doesn't.

wish people would get the facts straight

antibolo

Banned
It's not the fact that it's 13GB that is unreasonable, it's that it's future DLC content. That shit needs to stop. DLC content should be in the actual DLC payload, period. It's like those dumbasses at Capcom et al. forgot that a DLC can contain more than just a 100kB unlock key for content you already have.

see5harp

Wow, you guys are so clueless. It didn't use 13gb of data and does much more then dlc

number one , the install goes straight to 50% and only used 7gb of my ISP data.

number 2 , it increases game from 22gb to 24gb. Most of the patch was rewriting the install

number 3 it did ALOT of fixes including performance fixes for better fps.
if your complaining about them improving the game then you are just dumb.

7 gigs is still too large (and yes, my friend said that his update went straight to 50% so that seems to be the case). I'm not complaining about them fixing the game. They should have fixed the game prior to release. This is why I rented that game and have no intentions of giving them $60.

...wow....your all cows it seems. The reason for dlc download is compatibility in coop if one has content a other doesn't.

wish people would get the facts straight before running around spewing nonsense

They did that kind of patch last gen without it being 13 goddamn gigs, though.

Minions

Way to much crying about this IMO. It didn't even take long for me to download it.

Since your life = everyone elses situation. This comment along the lines of Adam Orthes "Why would I live there" if the internet is not sufficient.

This is about more than just the USA. Many countries have internet caps (many parts of the USA do too!) that don't give you unlimited GB's to download. When people buy a DISC game they don't expect to download a 10+GB patch to fix all the issues they released the game with.

Roto13

It could probably be reasonable in some hypothetical case where a game gets a huge update with a ton of new features and levels for free. I doubt that will ever happen, though.

Forcing you to download 13gb of DLC whether you're going to buy it or not is absolutely not reasonable.

LAA

What I was gobsmacked with was the BF3 update sizes on the 360. Wondered why we had so little space on the 360 one time so looked in storage and saw BF3 occupied over 12GB I'm sure with just updates. That is unreasonable.

The DR3 patch however doesnt really seem to add anything if I'm right? Just fix things? If true, unacceptable yeah, but we have no choice really. If it was between a patch and no patch, I'd rather have the patch.

I just downloaded Bioshock Infinite at a whopping 6 gb. The entire game. Somebody at Capcom doesn't give a shit about bandwidth or file size implications. This isn't the first time Capcom has done shit like this.

Forcing users to download locked DLC content as part of a bug fix? Nope.

This is the bigger problem. That DLC is clearly taking up a significant amount of space on the hard drive, which is fine if you want to buy the DLC. But forcing people to store that amount on their hard drive just because the bug fix patch included it? Ridiculous.

I can understand from a developer's point of view why everyone should be on the same patch and install. But I really wish that if you didn't have any DLC you didn't have to download DLC data until you actually bought the damned thing.

Alx

I have fiber and no data cap, but I still think it's not reasonable. Bug correction should only need a few MB update, and additional content should be optional (if you're not buying the DLC, you downloaded the extra GB for nothing).

It's not the fact that it's 13GB that is unreasonable, it's that it's future DLC content. That shit needs to stop. DLC content should be in the actual DLC payload, period.
Don't act like being booted from PS3 and 360 games with friends because you failed to download the free compatibility pack was the better option. As sad as it sounds, this big patch is the lesser of two evils.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm not a fan of patches that contain DLC content. Just separate them...

This is what I hate that's rolled over from the Ps3 era. If i am not buying the content, what is the fucking point? Why do I have to waste hard drive space for just in case I want to buy it?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
...wow....your all cows it seems. The reason for dlc download is compatibility in coop if one has content a other doesn't.

wish people would get the facts straight before running around spewing nonsense

So it's a kludge designed to make up for a terribly designed co-op system?

Yeah, that doesn't make it any better.

BTW: You should calm down and quit it with the vitriol.

TyrantII

Capcom: Force a 13GB patch then beg people to pay to unlock all the stuff you needlessly made them download.

Guerrilla Games: Hey! all our competitive MP DLC is being given away for free, we've updated/supported the game every 2 weeks w/ small patches, & the paid COOP DLC can be enjoyed by a friend w/o him needing to buy it as long as you bought it and invite him.

Who do you really want to support?

vg260

It could probably be reasonable in some hypothetical case where a game gets a huge update with a ton of new features and levels for free. I doubt that will ever happen, though.

Forcing you to download 13gb of DLC whether you're going to buy it or not is absolutely not reasonable.

Yup. Exactly this. Unless this DLC is required for main-game compatibility, forcing everyone to download the paid/locked DLC is absolutely absurd in any situation. It's even more ludicrous when it's this massive.

Also, combining it with a bug-fix for the main game is not a justifiable excuse.

Good god yes its fucking unreasonable. Any patch that uses a good amount of storage. That massive Killzone Mercenary patch maxed out my Vita Memory card. Fuckers.... I bought the game at retail so i didnt use memory card space, and now this?

Bungie

Since your life = everyone elses situation. This comment along the lines of Adam Orthes "Why would I live there" if the internet is not sufficient.

This is about more than just the USA. Many countries have internet caps (many parts of the USA do too!) that don't give you unlimited GB's to download. When people buy a DISC game they don't expect to download a 10+GB patch to fix all the issues they released the game with.

I clearly said in my opinion, please don't be that kind of person that tries to change it. Big patches are regular to me even on the Xbox 360 when I played Defiance.

LanceX2

Banned
Hmmm guys.....again since you all don't read peoples posts

the patch only downloads 7 GB, it starts at 50%

the patch only adds 1.5GB of to game size

meaning dlc only added 1.5GB and you get a much better game for a 7GB downlad

I have fiber and no data cap, but I still think it's not reasonable. Bug correction should only need a few MB update, and additional content should be optional (if you're not buying the DLC, you downloaded the extra GB for nothing).

Yup and takes away precious HDD space!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it's that huge due to locked DLC content, then yes. Fuck that trend.

Patch in bug fixes, gameplay updates, and free content, not optional paid content.

Top Bottom