• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemy Starfighter - Homeworld meets Rainbow 6

Lime

Conceptually, this is amazing. But presentation is such a huge part of the simulation genre that I need the visuals to be much, much better.

Spazznid

Fire
Sound
BG Radio Chatter

Why are all these things so prominent in space?
A lot of games do this... I can understand noise coming from your own engine's affect on your cockpit, but outside noise, like explosions and enemy fighters?

Fire in space? Maybe, but not THAT much fire...

And why is there so much radio chatter interference? Are they near a station or something? I'd imagine in space, you generally only hear your nearby squad mates...

(And you certainly would be using a higher quality format/method for transmitting voice. Those sound like old radios...)

Otherwise this game looks pretty fun, but it needs to find an identity, right now it looks pretty bland which isn't good.

Boogdud

Fire
Sound
BG Radio Chatter

A lot of games do this... I can understand noise coming from your own engine's affect on your cockpit, but outside noise, like explosions and enemy fighters?

And why is there so much radio chatter interference? Are they near a station or something? I'd imagine in space, you generally only hear your nearby squad mates...

(And you certainly would be using a higher quality format/method for transmitting voice. Those sound like old radios...)

Otherwise this game looks pretty fun, but it needs to find an identity, right now it looks pretty bland which isn't good.

Because it's a game? As thrilling as silent dimly lit poofs of steam would be.. this seems more like, oh I don't know, entertainment? Maybe you should look somewhere else for a simulator (based on something that has never occurred).

Annnyway, I swear I thought we had another thread about this somewhere. But yeah, I'm so looking forward to this game. I love the art style, and the gameplay looks very very good. I'm looking forward to this more than I am Star Citizen (and I backed that).

ultron87

Fire
Sound
BG Radio Chatter

I'd think that most of these things are concessions towards gameplay over scientific accuracy. A game where you're flying around in near silence and don't hear anything happening around you is a less interesting and more difficult experience.

I'd think that most of these things are concessions towards gameplay over scientific accuracy. A game where you're flying around in near silence and don't hear anything happening around you is a less interesting and more difficult experience.

It would be interesting to have a "hardcore simulation" mode of sorts, no? All you can hear is your breathing and the beeps/warns of the flight computer.

ultron87

It would be interesting to have a "hardcore simulation" mode of sorts, no? All you can hear is your breathing and the beeps/warns of the flight computer.

That would be pretty cool. Obviously not the best thing to show off in trailers, but there are certainly players that would totally be into that.

manfestival

Glad I saw this thread. So hype now. Graphics are and arent everything. I love the look of this game artistically and gameplay wise. I can only dream of it with nicer graphics but it totally looks homeworld + tachyon/starlancer

epmode

Conceptually, this is amazing. But presentation is such a huge part of the simulation genre that I need the visuals to be much, much better.

You're kidding. This is a perfect implementation of visual minimalism in a space sim. This is EXACTLY what you should do with a small dev team. Evocative color schemes, simple textures and models that look great at high resolution, lovely animation, etc.

Mindlog

It's really looking like a game that will inspire a tremendous mod community. I hope that will come to pass. Shaping up nicely.

epmode

http://enemystarfighter.com/blog/2014/2/13/greetings-starfighters

overwatch_020914.png

random_generator_01.PNG

Crepuscular.jpg

iL09zSfLHjm9q.gif

iRAJ0OiSGpZOZ.gif

One thing missing from the game was a satisfying currency reward loop for killing fighters. The tumble alone felt good and you earned points for it, but a new layer has been added: the escape pod.

A majority of your currency is acquired from killing the crew of downed vessels. If you have an autoturret, it happens automatically. As a capital goes down, the famous loot-piñata situation occurs as the crew abandons ship.

pod_kill.gif

*dead*

Mindlog

These updates are describing a game I desperately want to play. The concept of a system-wide fleet hide-and-seek is something I've always wanted to see put into practice.

I read that blog and saw the link to his twitter. First tweet I read:
https://twitter.com/tipul/
o1G95fs.png

It gave me a chuckle. Allegiance is a classic that always gets a lot of 'Wish I played that' mentions.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Out of all the space shooters presented lately, this is the one I'm most excited about. The pace, the clean graphics and the sound effects seem to fit so well together.

Twinduct

Can't wait till we hit landmark (so we can start giving this man money).
Really hope this game garners a big enough Mod community so I can get a battlestar galactica TC.

Mindlog

TC teams are going to have a lot of choices in the near future. After years of old engines and impressive, but somewhat limited open source projects the new wave is finally here.

desertdroog

My interest is highly piqued. It looks like there is going to be a new golden age of Space gamey goodness from both the Indies and larger studios!

Lime

I love this more basic art style, the game would have passed by me if it looked more realistic.

No doubt, the basic art style is really great. I was mostly referring to the details in the cockpit and ship design. I just like when technological things up close have more intricate details than flat textures and meshes.

Tommyhawk

Wow, just wow!

Who would've thought that after the space sim genre was basically dead (besides the X series) we would witness a renaissance of this genre.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there an official name for that Battlefield trailer robot fart noise?

It's seriously turning into the "edgy poochie" of every game trailer.

RPS posted their preview here

I am dying to play this game but I hope Mike doesn't give in and release it too early.

Thanks for this. It seems this will be the most accessible space combat game compared to Elite or Star Citizen, combat looks like fun rather than feeling sim-y. The meta-game stuff sounds interesting.

Mindlog

Heard that Homeworld jump sound in there.

Simply remarkable how much a one person dev team can hold my interest compared to the effort publishers put into some very expensive projects.

Top Bottom