• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemy Starfighter - Homeworld meets Rainbow 6

Did a search but didn't find anything.

First watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGQS15Golo

Looks like an amazing mix between the tactical interface of Homeworld with the planning phase of Rainbow 6 and the combat of Freespace 2. Loving the sound effects (radio chatter, breathing and everything else ). Even with the placeholder graphics, it looks incredibly fun.

Some background:

A civilization’s downfall or ascension always begins with one thing: you.

The Penitent Crusade has lasted for 30 years and you’ve led the Emperor’s Harbinger Fleet for most of it.

Your mission is always simple: Jump ahead into a system where you will most certainly be outnumbered, cripple it, and pave the way for the Armada to hang in the skies above the enemy home world like storm clouds and offer terms: submit or be purified.

More here:

http://www.enemystarfighter.com/

Its not a kickstarter and there's no place to throw money yet. My only question is why hasnt anyone thought of this sooner. Add Oculus Rift support and I'll never leave my house again. Ever.

soultron

Banned
Wow. Looks incredible. Love the UI and the basic looks of the visuals. Reminds me of Wipeout crossed with Homeworld.

I'm down to throw money at this.

This.

Why the fuck do they keep making those games with 90s era polygon models.
All that processing power doing nothing :(.

Well apparently its only one developer (ex Bungie), and he's only been at it for 3 months. The 90's graphics are placeholders.

Honestly, i'd play it like it is though.

Well apparently its only one developer (ex Bungie), and he's only been at it for 3 months. The 90's graphics are placeholders.

Honestly, i'd play it like it is though.

Aah oke because gameplay looked good.
But after Minecraft so many indie guys are doing that minimalism style(or whatever the name is)

Babalu.

This.

Why the fuck do they keep making those games with 90s era polygon models.
All that processing power doing nothing :(.

I'm pretty sure these are just like placeholder graphics. LIke he hasn't started adding textures and stuff yet. Kind of just a tech demo.

Perkel

Banned
Did a search but didn't find anything.

First watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGQS15Golo

Looks like an amazing mix between the tactical interface of Homeworld with the planning phase of Rainbow 6 and the combat of Freespace 2. Loving the sound effects (radio chatter, breathing and everything else ). Even with the placeholder graphics, it looks incredibly fun.

Some background:

A civilization’s downfall or ascension always begins with one thing: you.

The Penitent Crusade has lasted for 30 years and you’ve led the Emperor’s Harbinger Fleet for most of it.

Your mission is always simple: Jump ahead into a system where you will most certainly be outnumbered, cripple it, and pave the way for the Armada to hang in the skies above the enemy home world like storm clouds and offer terms: submit or be purified.

More here:

http://www.enemystarfighter.com/

Its not a kickstarter and there's no place to throw money yet. My only question is why hasnt anyone thought of this sooner. Add Oculus Rift support and I'll never leave my house again. Ever.

Will keep aye on this. I loved collision mechanic and how sounds were mutted.

epmode

I don't have much to add since I only recently became aware of this game, but:

Holy shit, this could be AWESOME.

This thread needs more views.

I don't have much to add since I only recently became aware of this game, but:

Holy shit, this could be AWESOME.

This thread needs more views.
I'm in the same situation. This game looks brilliant. Also, this poster:

Z5qIkaQ.jpg

SPACE. COMBAT. <3

Mindlog

Well now I have to find out who did the art on that.
Janée Meadows

I was editing! Yeah, it's pretty great.

epmode

Man, there is so much awesome stuff going on in that video. The audio design is honestly brilliant for such a small production. It's all so... so Homeworld.

Yes, I am a style whore.

Man, there is so much awesome stuff going on in that video. The audio design is honestly brilliant for such a small production. It's all so... so Homeworld.

Yes, I am a style whore.
It's okay man, so am I.

The sense of speed and fluidity is just there too. And when ships warp in in front of you, just so good.

Danj

For some reason when I clicked this thread I thought it was something to do with The Last Starfighter.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

Game looks interesting though. Subscribed to the thread.

Karak

I am working on interviewing him for Angry Centaur Gaming actually. Excited to talk to him.

Karak

If anyone has any questions, for the interview, you want me to ask him, feel free to post them here or PM me. I am going to talk to him after his current crunch. A couple weeks he says.

The Warhammer 40k-esque story setup intrigues me. They need to build it up with some good mission objectives and background text.

ultron87

That looks pretty good.

The capital ship in those gifs looks almost exactly like a Homeworld 2 Hiigaran Carrier. That seems weird.

I only heard of this when people were going crazy over those GIFs in the Indie Games thread. Nice to see it's still happening.

Bear McCreary should do the music, or it already sounds like his influence is there :D

These guys need to do a Kickstarter just so we can have a physical version of that almighty poster.

I played this at PAX, and I have to say - my game of show. Absolutely brilliant, and it's a one (1!!) man effort. Some impressions for y'all:

The art style is gorgeous, I mean it's basically what you can see from the footage out there but I can't not comment on it - simple yet beautiful with great effects. Warping in and and seeing other ships warp into battles is exhilarating.

The in-ship HUD is fantastic. I actually wish the PAX demo wasn't on Oculus, because the Oculus resolution did not do it justice. The in-ship audio design is great as well.

Most importantly: dog-fighting just felt good! The sense of speed, the frantic combat, basically it captured that feeling that I absolutely adore in games where you are very powerful but are always kind of at the edge of being in control of what you're doing - you can do incredible maneuvers, but at the same time if you mistime a turn or misjudge a distance things go very bad very quickly. Makes for a constant sense of edge-of-your-seat action and truly empowers the player (a weird comparison I want to make is flying around felt like the ability to move within a level and cause mayhem once you have a built out character in Dishonored). Speaking of Dishonored, your ship has short-range jump capabilities (mechanically works a lot like Dishonored's "Blink") - but I just kept thinking of a certain scene in Battlestar and couldn't stop grinning when I found out that was a tool to use in dogfight scenarios.

Unfortunately the floor demo didn't really include a demonstration of the meta systems, but the dev, Mike Tipul, did talk me through some of them - some things that stood out for me, as I remember them:

You want to engage in guerilla warfare. You aren't some overpowered one man army - you have a map, you plan your engagements, you try to get in and get out - a successful mission isn't going into a battle instance and wiping an enemy fleet, it can be merely doing damage to a target and getting out alive.

Now this I'm fuzzier on, but as I understood, you also have a tactical planning phase before actual engagements - so you can plan out exactly what you want your squadmates to do in a battle area before the engagement begins, and they will execute so you don't have to worry about commanding them in the heat of battle (I suppose that's where the Rainbow 6 in the title comes from, huh?). I also liked that you could choose your insertion tactically, i.e. choose your "warp in" point.

Surprisingly, I was told that a playthrough would only be 3-4 hours; I guess it seems to me like the systems would support way more than that; but considering no playthrough will be the same, since missions aren't scripted, I can see myself dogfighting for many many more hours than that. Really looking forward to it. He said he is trying to get the game out ASAP, so later this year or early next we'll hopefully get to play?

Also, he was handing out mini-posters and selling big versions of that gorgeous artwork I posted earlier - LOOKS SO GOOD ON THE WALL.

epmode

Yep, this still looks goddamned incredible. ..and GAF still needs to pay more attention to it!

(in case anyone missed it earlier, this game now has Oculus Rift support)

Top Bottom