• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locomotion and traversal in Thief is so unsatisfying. You can't jump anywhere unless they allow you to jump. Garret is a master thief who, along with bumbling into the Thief-Taker General/Bill The Butcher seemingly after every mission, is occasionally defeated by chest and head level objects because there's no context sensitive tags/markers on certain objects. You just stare futilely at what could have been an alternate route. The context sensitive stuff just makes exploration feel so limited.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Locomotion and traversal in Thief is so unsatisfying. You can't jump anywhere unless they allow you to jump. Garret is a master thief who, along with bumbling into the Thief-Taker General/Bill The Butcher seemingly after every mission, is occasionally defeated by chest and head level objects because there's no context sensitive tags/markers on certain objects. You just stare futilely at what could have been an alternate route. The context sensitive stuff just makes exploration feel so limited.

Lean being contextual is completely and utterly bizarre. I can understand jumping being a contextual action in a stealth game, but not being able to poke around corners at will is just... stupid.

denx

Lean being contextual is completely and utterly bizarre. I can understand jumping being a contextual action in a stealth game, but not being able to poke around corners at will is just... stupid.

So this is a 5 dollars game, gotcha.

I'm having a bit of a conundrum here. I'm trying to get GTA San Andreas modded up (I'm actually using Grief's download links from the last thread), but I can't get anything to download from gtagarage. And the two things I need most, the ASI Loader, and the widescreen fix happen to be hosted there. :/ The connection times out for both links on both of my computers. I tried a couple weeks ago when Grief posted about it and had the same issue then, I just figured they were doing maintenance or something.

Off to google to try and find other sites for them I guess.

I just finished Cognition Episode 1, so here are some impressions:

Game is a very well done graphic adventure, with some minor non game breaking bugs.

The episode is basically a detective story, very coherent and well executed, you really feel like you are chasing a killer, writing is very well done, and all the characters feel like people you form bonds with and can understand their motives.

The game has a supernatural twist, but it's just an excuse for a game mechanic and doesn't detract from the detective work. That said, some of the best moments are when you have to use your logic to solve some puzzles instead of just using your supernatural powers, so I think the game would have been better without it.

The episode is quite long too, it took me around 4-5 hours to finish it.

I know most of you have this first episode from one bundle or another, if you like graphic adventures please play it, it's a very rewarding game, but be warned it ends with a cliffhanger.

I'll play the rest of the episodes, if you have any particular question feel free to ask.

Well holy shit, Splinter Cell is back. Blacklist is everything I hoped it would be, takes the stealth focus of the past games and blends that with the fluid gameplay and expanded moveset of Conviction.

_hekk05

Banned
Got my glorious steam fifty

Looking to buy
Luftrausers
Don't starve + dlc I heard dlc changes spring rain to remove rabbit holes. That turns up the difficulty way too much. anyone wanna weigh in?
Fullbore/spelunky Its one or the other, anyone with both wanna weigh in on which is better?
ikaruga
the yawhg
unholy heights
CSD
Battleblock
and maybe save up for some future gaemz

Woah jasec you hang out at baidu too?

Got my glorious steam fifty

Looking to buy

Woah jasec you hang out at baidu too?
Luftrausers is really addictive. It and Nuclear Throne are Vlambeer's best IMO

Can't really compare Full Bore and Spelunky. One's a puzzle exploration game with some really tricky challenges, a sprawling environment, and a lot of character and personality in its visuals. The other is one of the best, if not the best, roguelike platfomer I've played. Really not much I can say about Spelunky that hasn't been said before.

I'd like to know what Capcom is doing with DMC. The patch is the first one in over year and it's been in the works for at least a month, which usually suggests something is being replaced with Steamworks, but DMC doesn't use anything else as far as I'm aware.

Just think about it: if you weren't, you wouldn't be frustrated right now. ;)
I have no clue what DmC could have... QLOC ported it perfectly and it is Steamworks only.

zkylon

zkylewd
you never know

like in max payne 3 i was dead sure there were no spiders but then there's that like nicaragua flashback mission in which you go through a natural history museum and there's a room where there's a pretty big model spider so yo know i can't really ever feel safe

regardless this game doesn't feel very good and league servers are down and i don't feel like gamemakering so i'm bored out of my mind

Q and E would've made it so damned easy to have a non-context sensitive look-lean. The set-up they went with is kind of baffling. And like you say, there's just so many damned instances where you want to but the look-lean prompt isn't there.

So this is a 5 dollars game, gotcha.

5-10$ is pretty safe territory. If you walk into the game knowing fully what it is, it might not be as disappointing at such a significant discount.

RedSwirl

Okay, if ArmA 3 ends up being like half-off during the Steam sale (it was 40% off for a weekend a few weeks ago) I think I'm going to get it, but I need to know how the SP stacks up against ArmA 2 and its expansions, because I have no intention of touching MP.

I know this game already has a ton of fan-made SP stuff, but what's the actual campaign like compared to ArmA 2's campaign? I actually really liked ArmA 2's campaign, or at least the idea of what it tried to do. Jankiness, broken scripts, and its general strain on my hardware notwithstanding, it attempted a lot of really cool things you just don't see in mainstream shooters. Does ArmA 3 at least feel more polished or what?

Corpekata

Banned
Looks like Xenonauts is moving out of Early Access officially in 30 hours or so. It's already had a "full" release and they're just bug fixing now. It's at the normal price now (25) but you can still snag it for the base price of 20 for the next 30 hours. Never thought I'd see the day it got a full release.

Kinda wish Larian would do the same with Divinity but I can see why they're holding off.

Joe Molotov

No regrets.

KrupBSs.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Picked up a Wii U. This system should make the perfect companion for my gtx 770. I'm still all in for the summer sale.

JaseC

Could someone explain how to trade with russians for TF2 Keys please?

Search on TF2 Outpost or Steam Trades for listings. There's also Dispenser.tf, but not everybody chooses to use trade bots so the former two are the larger resources. With TF2 Outpost, the game you want goes in the left-hand section while what you want to use to pay for it goes in the right (you can select "Real money" if you'd prefer PayPal, though for the most part people just mention the PayPal equivalent in the listing description despite having only keys listed as the preferred payment method). If you'd rather not pay market prices, there is no shortage of second-hand keys on TF2 Outpost that you can pick up for <$2 each, however as I've said before it can be a bit of a pain to find someone who's actually online and doesn't enforce rules pertaining to trade rep or amount of time spent in TF2.

Just remember to exercise some common sense: listings created using accounts that were made recently or older ones with few trades are ones you'd do well to steer clear from, and remember that each TF2 key is essentially worth $2, so if you see, say, a listing for The Witcher 3 and the person wants only 10 keys, it's obviously a scam as TW3, at its cheapest, converts to approximately $24.40. You can use SteamDB to see the price of a game in different regions, so to continue with the aforementioned example, TW3 has a base price of 1049 Russiabucks and there's a 20% discount given to those who own both previous Witcher games, which brings it down to 839.2 Russiabucks (~$24.40 as mentioned earlier). Once you've got the converted price you basically want to round up to the nearest $2, hence the price of 13 keys for TW3, though it probably goes without saying that if a price converts close to the nearest $2 mark then you'll have to round up further still (e.g. you'll be looking at 14 keys for something that converts to, say, $25.90). Some traders accept ref in addition to keys (if keys are dollars then think of ref as cents), but there's not much need to dive into that.

The good thing about "buying" games with keys rather than PayPal is that if something goes awry you can ask Valve to reverse the trade, whereas with PayPal you'd have to bark up a very long tree.

Corpekata

Banned
Cheap games mainly.

JaseC has you covered mostly then.

If you're hesitant with paypal, which some understandably are, you'll need to just buy off the market. Worth noting that key prices crash during big sales and events (dota 2 keys still haven't recovered after all this Compendium stuff) though if you're not looking to buy something right this second. If you're just looking for keys to barter in the sale you might as well wait.

Tizoc

Search on TF2 Outpost or Steam Trades for listings. There's also Dispenser.tf, but not everybody chooses to use trade bots so the former two are the larger resources. With TF2 Outpost, the game you want goes in the left-hand section while what you want to use to pay for it goes in the right (you can select "Real money" if you'd prefer PayPal, though for the most part people just mention the PayPal equivalent in the listing description despite having only keys listed as the preferred payment method). If you'd rather not pay market prices, there is no shortage of second-hand keys on TF2 Outpost that you can pick up for <$2 each, however as I've said before it can be a bit of a pain to find someone who's actually online and doesn't enforce rules pertaining to trade rep or amount of time spent in TF2.

Just remember to exercise some common sense: listings created using accounts that were made recently or older ones with few trades are ones you'd do well to steer clear from, and remember that each TF2 key is essentially worth $2, so if you see, say, a listing for The Witcher 3 and the person wants only 10 keys, it's obviously a scam as TW3, at its cheapest, converts to approximately $24.40. You can use SteamDB to see the price of a game in different regions, so to continue with the aforementioned example, TW3 has a base price of 1049 Russiabucks and there's a 20% discount given to those who own both previous Witcher games, which brings it down to 839.2 Russiabucks (~$24.40 as mentioned earlier). Once you've got the converted price you basically want to round up to the nearest $2, hence the price of 13 keys for TW3, though it probably goes without saying that if a price converts close to the nearest $2 mark then you'll have to round up further still (e.g. you'll be looking at 14 keys for something that converts to, say, $25.90). Some traders accept ref in addition to keys (if keys are dollars then think of ref as cents), but there's not much need to dive into that.

The good thing about "buying" games with keys rather than PayPal is that if something goes awry you can ask Valve to reverse the trade, whereas with PayPal you'd have to bark up a very long tree.

I think I've gotten the jist of it. As TF Dark Spark is worth 7-8 TF2 Keys atm, it's $15 in Russiabucks. Thing is TF2 Keys are worth more than $2 atm, I'm trying to get them for around $2.30 or lower.

Deques

gotta say once you trade keys there's never going back

it's straight to hell with your soul

Trading with keys is hellish. First you have to find key sellers, most of them are offline. Once you have the keys you have to find a trader that sell the game you want.
It's quite a lot of work to just get a game. Sometimes I don't find it worth it :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Trading with keys is hellish. First you have to find key sellers, most of them are offline. Once you have the keys you have to find a trader that sell the game you want.
It's quite a lot of work to just get a game. Sometimes I don't find it worth it :p

well tbh i just used one of those automatic sites and it was pretty smooth

it's just that you feel like you've been bad boy afterwards

Corpekata

Banned
Why not use PayPal?

Some people are probably wary of it due to the not trusting the other person? When first diving in it can sometimes be hard to get a good beat on trustworthy people.

There's also a lot of obnoxious sellers who want you to have 500 hours of TF2 playtime, a backpack worth X amount, etc. The automated and safe Steam Market can look pretty good sometimes after dealing with some of these people (if they're even online, like others have said, which is a crapshoot) even with the markup..

JaseC

I think I've gotten the jist of it. As TF Dark Spark is worth 7-8 TF2 Keys atm, it's $15 in Russiabucks. Thing is TF2 Keys are worth more than $2 atm, I'm trying to get them for around $2.30 or lower.

Poke around on TF2 Outpost. It may take a little while but you'll eventually find someone trustworthy selling them without overly restrictive rules for $1.90 or less. (I was referring to their worth to the seller, just FYI -- they're currently selling at $2.47, which nets the seller $2.16.) You could wait for the Summer Sale to kick off, but market prices dropping generally means increased prices at the trader's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom