• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best voice work in a game by an individual?

FnordChan

I was impressed with Vic Mignogna's work as Junpei in Persona 3. Listening to the dub I kept thinking that a couple of the folks just weren't very good, most of the cast was uninspired but tolerable, and that Junpei really stood out as being well acted. Also, kudos to, basically, everyone in Uncharted.

FnordChan

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gregor7777 said:
I blame the writing.
You can blame the Japanese lip sync, actually.

Niko Bellic is way too high. No Cam Clarke is a shame. Balthier showing so highly is nice.

BrokenSymmetry said:
Jennifer Hale is forever my favorite voice actor:

- Bastila in KOTOR
- Sheena in Tales of Symphonia
- Female Shepard in Mass Effect

Naomi Hunter in MGS.

And Junpei rocks!!!

{Mike}

Banned
I dunno, I pretty much liked Conker (Chris Seavor) and all the stuff this guy did in the game

From IMDB (Conker T. Squirrel / Birdy / Gargoyle / Gregg the Grim Reaper / Counta Conkula 'Batula' Squirrel / Panther King / Beetles / Wayne / Wasps / Mr. King Bee / Franky / Boss / Professor / Ugas / Bugga the Knut / Rock Creatures / Male Villagers / Monk / Squirrel Army / Weasels / Private Rodent / Ron / Reg / Haybot / Boiler / Imps / Jack / Burt / Marvin / Tediz / Mr. Barrel / Baby Fangy / Dragon God / Cash / Carl / Quentin / Buggerlugs The Bull / Guards / Sarge / others (voice))

soldat7

I chose the impossible! I chose...Armin Shimerman!

281vjp1.jpg

Jigsaw

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
Jennifer Hale is forever my favorite voice actor:

- Bastila in KOTOR
- Sheena in Tales of Symphonia
- Female Shepard in Mass Effect

and naomi hunter in mgs 1+4!!!

edit:

damn beaten

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Cartman86 said:
No matter what I think overall of Heavenly Sword (good not great) the voice and physical acting is fucking amazing, and has nothing even close to it. NOTHING
So damn true.

olore

The dude who voiced Max Payne in MP2. Cheesy maybe but pretty fitting in that crime noir-game. When i think of it, the rest of the voicecast is pretty good too.

DieNgamers said:
Conker's Bad Fur Day - Chris Seavor

FUCKING FINALLY! Dude voiced almost EVERY character in the game, all of which were awesome, and he gets stumped on this list? Lame.

Other awesome ones (still recent) are Andrew Ryan or Sander Cohen from Bioshock.

Oh, and Jennifer Hale is probably the best voice actress from an overall history standpoint. Hard to pin down one role in one game for her. She's pretty outstanding in all of them.

sennin

This is interesting! Here's my list, in no particular order:

Vic Mignogna - Junpei! :D, Persona 3
Liam O'Brian - Akihiko Sanada, Persona 3
Kirk Thornton - Jade Curtis, Tales of the Abyss
Yuri Lowenthal - Asch the Bloody, Tales of the Abyss
Johnny Yong Bosch - Cuy Cecil, Tales of the Abyss
Megan T.D. Hollingshead - Lenneth, Valkyrie Profile
Ricky Grover - Yangus, Dragon Quest VIII
Emma Ferguson - Jessica Albert, Dragonquest VIII
Blake Riston - Angelo, Dragonquest VIII
Jon Glover - King Trode, Dragonquest VIII
Michael Bell - Raziel, Soul Reaver 2
Simon Templeman - Kain, Soul Reaver 2

Taking a quick look at the voicework list from Eternal Darkness shows a whole wackload of people that deserve to be mentioned. The voices for Maximillion Roivas and Pious were incredible. Seriously, it's one of those incredibly rare instances of not only a fantastic script, but acting that actually boosts the authenticity of the material.

Amneisac

Jigsaw said:
and naomi hunter in mgs 1+4!!!

edit:

damn beaten

She was also in Grandia 2, and so was Cam Clarke. How Cam Clarke missed this list is amazing to me. He's in like every video game ever made.

Egg Shen

No Cam Clarke is a shame and I was surprised not to see Andre Sogliuzzo (Scarface - Tony Montana) mentioned, either.

Glados?

Wow, people just have to get off that game. A completely synthetic sounding voice constitute as voice acting? Damn, then those boy bands are the best singers ever.

Yaweee

Gig said:
Crispin Freeman, Lord Zetta.

Crispin Freeman's done a very good job in quite a few games. I'd rank his work as Albedo higher than his as Zetta, but both are great.

I'd kick Yuri Lowenthal of the list. The role is memorable, but I don't think it is particularly good.

My personal vote for biggest absence? Whoever did Arcturus Mengsk in Starcraft. That game is filled with fantastic voice acting; unlike Warcraft 3, the story was carried almost completely with the VA, and it worked substantially better.

Iaido Sword said:
Glados?

Wow, people just have to get off that game. A completely synthetic sounding voice constitute as voice acting? Damn, then those boy bands are the best singers ever.

It takes a playthrough with the commentary track to truly appreciate what she and the people at Valve pulled off. Oh, and she gets Karma points for being the TF2 announcer as well.

SERIOUSLY, people. Play through Portal with the commentary track on. It was just so damn interesting from beginning to end, and probably the best commentary track I've heard for any medium.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Yaweee said:
It takes a playthrough with the commentary track to truly appreciate what she and the people at Valve pulled off. Oh, and she gets Karma points for being the TF2 announcer as well.

SERIOUSLY, people. Play through Portal with the commentary track on. It was just so damn interesting from beginning to end, and probably the best commentary track I've heard for any medium.
It has some interesting things but I'd say about 50% of it sucks. Hers were the best part though, definitely.

Okay, the Metroid: Zero Mission nomination as one of the worst remakes only served to bewilder me.

But this top ten makes me livid. Seriously now...

Where the FUCK are the Legacy of Kain voice actors? Why the HELL does this series not get the recognition it should have earned by providing some of the very best voice acting in ANY MEDIUM?

Simon Templeman. Michael Bell. In just a single speech by Kain and Raziel, they convey more emotion and nuance than most video game franchises achieve in years.

Please rename the thread to "'The Legacy of Kain award' for the best voice work in a game by an individual."

Sorry GAF, this just makes me bitter.

epmode

David Hayter invalidates this list.

Also, there's not a single mention of Tony Plana (Manny from Grim Fandango) on page 1.

FAIL.

Baha

Awntawn said:
Kratos? Seriously? I thought it was badass partially BECAUSE the voice acting was so cheesy >.>

Anyway, I'd like to nominate whoever it is voiced "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS" 3;

Oh, and Deckard Cain D;

YES. I loved that Sean Connery impressionist in Diablo 1 :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Disguises said:
I heartily agree, thats Kratos Aurion from tales of symphonia too, right?
Yes, sir!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I am 100% behind anyone saying Simon Templeman and his portrayal as Kain, it's amazing.
Michael Bell as Raziel is great too, and Tony Jay (RIP) as the Elder God.

Man what a fucking awesome cast of VA, too bad we probably won't see any more LoK games :( at least for a great while

Yaweee

Looking over some of the other lists, a few that I strongly agree on.

Yangus, DQ8 (Ricky Grover)-- easily one of the most memorable videogame characters in years. There isn't a single missed line. To think that the JP version had no voice acting or orchestrated soundtrack... yeeesh.

Akihiko is the standout performance in P3, in my opinion.

chandoog said:
Simon Templeman

Kain from Legacy of Kain

Hell yes! Didn't think anyone would post him, but that's exactly what I came to say. Michael Bell did a great job with Raziel as well.

And of course Tony Jay with the elder god was fantastic too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

eznark

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Nolan North - Nathan Drake (UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
)
Emily Rose - Elena Fisher (UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
)

i stopped by just to make sure all was right in the world and kittonwy had posted Drake
for once I agree with you!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
See, this is why I can't handle top ten lists.

Its bad enough that folks like Ron Perlman and Simon Templeman aren't on the list, but David Hayder is??? Gruff to the point of being comical Solid Snake? Really? Kratos??? KRATOS???

*sigh*

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
BobsRevenge said:

seconded

scruffy also loves who ever did the voice for whatshisname in Mass Effect. That doctor/engineer/whatever guy that nobody ever uses because he's kind of a pussy.

and how about phil lamar (from mad TV if anybody ever watched that show) doin' vamp in MGS4. Normally once i know who's doing the voice i can pick em out. Even though i knew it was phil...i still couldn't pick up his voice.

now that i think about it, he does tons of voice work and i can't pick him up ever even though i know he's there. He just might be the greatest voice actor of all time o_O

dmshaposv

epmode said:
Also, there's not a single mention of Tony Plana (Manny from Grim Fandango) on page 1.

FAIL.

Someone hasn't read the OP or saw the vid. :rolleyes:

Also I don't get the Kratos hate. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, but TC Carson did the Brute part well - even if he wasn't that good in conveying the sensitive side of the character in emotional scenes.

Top Bottom