• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best voice work in a game by an individual?

dmshaposv

I randomly found this video on gametrailers yesterday, and although the list could very well be contested, it has some respectable choices.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/236515.html?playlist=featured

(To those who just want to see the countdown, without veiwing the said video:)

10) Micheal Hollick - Niko Bellic
9) Yuri Lownthal - Prince from PoP
8) Rick Hunter - Postal dude (I don't agree with this, though)
7) T.C.Carson - Kratos
6) David Hayter - Snake
5) Tony Plana - Manny Calavera
4) Gideon Emery - Balthier
3) Jon St. John - Duke Nukem
2) Dominic Armato - Guybrush Threepwood (My personal no.1)
1) Ellen McLain - Glados

Mass Effect and GTA IV stand out as the epitome of voice acting done right, in this gen. I can only hope it gets better from here on. What I want to see more, as the list above also generally indicated, are protagonists with distinct voices.

No Jennifer Hale = fail....

She was fantastic in Mass Effect, made the male Commander Shepard seem usless in comparsion

Awntawn

Kratos? Seriously? I thought it was badass partially BECAUSE the voice acting was so cheesy >.>

Anyway, I'd like to nominate whoever it is voiced "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS" 3;

Oh, and Deckard Cain D;

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cam Clarke

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, THREAD.

EDIT: That's Liquid.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Whether the list is arguable or not is something else, but damn is that video well put together. That GTA portion could've made a trailer all it's own

Kittonwy

Banned
Nolan North - Nathan Drake (UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
)
Emily Rose - Elena Fisher (UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
)

Jennifer Hale - Mass Effect - Female Sheppard

I was blown away.

Kittonwy said:
Nolan North - Nathan Drake (UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
)

LOL, damn your act is so tired. :(

You're like the 49 year old pitcher who can't throw anything over 70, works 3 and a half innings, and just won't let go.

Yoboman said:
Whether the list is arguable or not is something else, but damn is that video well put together. That GTA portion could've made a trailer all it's own

Uh, that GTA IV clip WAS a trailer.

Mike Patton in The Darkness +1

Also shame not to see the King from Dragon Quest VIII in there. His voice acting was terrific, only example of voice acting that's genuinely made me laugh. I watched my flatmate play and kept urging him onto the next bit, hoping there would be a cutscene with the King.

EDIT: Here he is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aw_fArhGbE

Kittonwy

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Jennifer Hale - Mass Effect - Female Sheppard

I was blown away.

LOL, damn your act is so tired. :(

You're like the 49 year old pitcher who can't throw anything over 70, works 3 and a half innings, and just won't let go.

I'm like Nolan Ryan.
Indifferent2.gif

Timber

Dominic Armato. I remember playing Curse of Monkey Island for the first time and thinking "Yes, that's exactly what Guybrush sounds like."

Also David Warner for Jon Irenicus. So badass I have many of his lines etched permanently into my mind. "I cannot be caged, I cannot be controlled!" Hell yeah!

Conker's Bad Fur Day - Chris Seavor

Not famous or anything and not in the "serious" voiceacting league either but nearly every character (including conker, dracula, the dung beetles, birdy, the pitchfork etc) was voiced by him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Mighty_Poo#The_Great_Mighty_Poo

wikipedia said:
Chris was the project leader and game designer on both Conker's Bad Fur Day and Conker: Live & Reloaded. He co-wrote the screenplay with Robin Beanland, worked as a background and layout artist, helped with some additional graphics, and voiced most of the characters on Conker's Bad Fur Day

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, it's not like the far past is full of voice acting; let alone impressive voice acting.

No, but there was some impressive stuff in the PSX days, and a good bit in the PS2 era. Enough to make a few spots on this list.

Kevin Bayless did the voices of all the Kongs at Rare (even the female ones I think... probably not), and Kazooie!

Why did he not play as Diddy in DKRDS, but Kazooie in Banjo 3? Maybe he was on vacation?

Klytus

Heavenly Sword had wall-to wall great voice acting but Andy Serkis did so much for that game beyond simple VA, it's pretty shoddy not to mention him here.

Jennifer Hale is forever my favorite voice actor:

- Bastila in KOTOR
- Sheena in Tales of Symphonia
- Female Shepard in Mass Effect

Cartman86

Banned
Klytus said:
Heavenly Sword had wall-to wall great voice acting but Andy Serkis did so much for that game beyond simple VA, it's pretty shoddy not to mention him here.

No matter what I think overall of Heavenly Sword (good not great) the voice and physical acting is fucking amazing, and has nothing even close to it. NOTHING

PS: My favorites include Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid (at times), Bioshock, GTAIV, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Uncharted, Jak, Conker, The Darkness, Riddick. To me voice acting just gets better and better.

Top Bottom