• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best voice work in a game by an individual?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My favourite is the german voice actors for Raziel in Soul Reaver 2. Yeah, you read correctly. I almost hate all the german voiceovers in videogames but that guy did an awesome job. He's besides also the general german voice actor from Kevin Bacon.

All my other favourites are entirly english voice actors. For example I also loved Mike Patton in Darkness. He was just perfect. Or the guy from BioShock who did Andrew Ryan. There are way too many excellent english voice actors.

Who I hated was defenitly is David Hayter in MGS2+3+4. His exteme voice acting was horrible. Interesting is only that I consider his work in MGS1 as rather good. Hmm....

Sol.. said:
seconded

scruffy also loves who ever did the voice for whatshisname in Mass Effect. That doctor/engineer/whatever guy that nobody ever uses because he's kind of a pussy.

Wait, who?

Garrus, Wrex and Kaiden were the three male squad members.

Garrus was a cop, Wrex is a merc and Kaiden is a biotic soldier.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Besides some named here, I like:

Greg Eagles
Robin Atkins Downes
Quinton Flynn
Gideon Emery

Performances from games like killer7, No More Heroes, FF12, and MGS (plus a variety of others)

Matt_09

soldat7 said:
I chose the impossible! I chose...Armin Shimerman!

281vjp1.jpg

yep!

SRG01

Jim Cummings (Minsc) -- also voiced Winnie the Pooh :)lol)
Josh Keaton (young Ocelot) -- formerly a soap opera actor :)lol)
Jennifer Hale (obvious) -- famous FAMOUS VO, first encountered her in Freelancer

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
gregor7777 said:
Wait, who?

Garrus, Wrex and Kaiden were the three male squad members.

Garrus was a cop, Wrex is a merc and Kaiden is a biotic soldier.

kaiden there we go.

I don't know why i keep thinking he's a doc.

If we were rounding up "bad taste" awards, this thread would be the absolute best place to start! I feel pity for those naming MGS actor performances especially. *soylent green dumptruck picking up humans GIF needed here* Work in games like Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness are the bar. That's my elitist comment for the year and I only allow myself one. I feel it was used wisely.

I always hear that Planescape:Torment had astounding writing. Did it have voice over?

Narag

He doesn't have many lines but I adore the necromancer in D2. He has a wonderful sinister tone to his voice.

darscot

StefanTheMongol said:
Very well lets just throw in the, "BEWARE I LIVE" from SiniStar, whoever that was, BRILLIANT!

With out a doubt the best voice ever. It still scares me to hear that.
I like the voice acting in uncharted they were all great.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Yaweee said:
I'd kick Yuri Lowenthal of the list. The role is memorable, but I don't think it is particularly good.

No you can't get rid of him, he voiced Soul Nomad's best character.

Narag

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Simon Templeman as Kain
Michael Bell as Raziel

DONE.

Can't believe I forgot these two. Even though the cutscenes look dated nowadays, the voice acting makes up for any visual shortcomings.

T.C. Carson is the God of War! Probably one of the best voice performances I have heard in a video game. He put so much emotion into the Kratos character. His voice was capable of both a convincing rage and a mournful sorrow. That "the gods of Olympus have abandoned me" line literally gave me chills. I also like pretty much the entire cast of the MGS games. Those guys always provide an excellent performance.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Glados is a silly choice. She was just as much sound design as voice talent. I'm not saying she was bad, but it aint #1.

The rest feels good. Recent makes sense, because it mostly gets better with time.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
DevilWillcry said:
T.C. Carson is the God of War! Probably one of the best voice performances I have heard in a video game. He put so much emotion into the Kratos character. His voice was capable of both a convincing rage and a mournful sorrow. That "the gods of Olympus have abandoned me" line literally gave me chills. I also like pretty much the entire cast of the MGS games. Those guys always provide an excellent performance.

He's not that half bad of a film actor too. I wonder why he isn't on screen as much anymore.

eve241

I choose Raziel because he has a wider spectrum of emotions to portray then other Legacy of Kain characters. Michael Bell is the man.

A couple which haven't been mentioned so far:

Tara Platt as Valerie Blaylock in Trauma Center: New Blood
Greg Eagles as Garcian Smith in killer7

Hero

PandaPandaPanda said:
Liam Obrian who did Lezard in Valkyrie Profile 2

he truly caught the "oomph" of a truly insane/messed up individual

It took way too long before someone posted this. Lezard's voice actor did an amazing job. I think he's Akahiko in Persona 3 as well.

pj

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Phil LaMarr, that is all.

uhh no. All his voices sound the same

Why has nobody mentioned Psychonauts? Every character in that game has a great voice actor behind it

Atilac

Why are all the voices on the list English speaking? surely there are other languages, and other VAs

EDIT: No Mamoru Miyano?
no George Nakata?
no Jun Fukuyama?

Mike Patton
33bis5f.jpg

AS :

The Darkness
11gjc55.jpg

Fucking weird ass voice, but I can't see it being done by anyone else. He practically makes the game.

Ferrio

Banned
PandaPandaPanda said:
Liam Obrian who did Lezard in Valkyrie Profile 2

he truly caught the "oomph" of a truly insane/messed up individual

Ya I'm going with this. He made the game.

pj

Banned
Atilac said:
Why are all the voices on the list English speaking? surely there are other languages, and other VAs

no George Nakata?
no Jun Fukuyama?

uh, maybe it's hard for non japanese speakers to judge the quality of japanese voice acting?

www.gametrailers.jp can handle that list

rykomatsu

Atilac said:

no George Nakata?
no Jun Fukuyama?

well along those lines, i would have to say...Sawashiro Miyuki as Croche in AT2 or Koshimizu Ami as Dishana in Agarest Senki...

Top Bottom