• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to buy Russian Steam Keys?

WarpathDC

So a lot of seems too good to be true deals are out there from russiaGAF for new and soon to be released games (ie Witcher or Metro Redux sub 20 dollars)

Is it safe/legal to buy these? New PC gamer here. Thanks.

MayMay

Banned
Yes and Yes. You run the risk of being scammed, but if its not a region locked game (check on the SteamDB or something) then you're good to go. I wouldnt use those keywebsites though. You should trade them for TF2 keys on tf2outpost.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I never buy Steam CD-keys, just trade TF2 keys for the game and activate it. Never had any issues, though I don't think many Russian keys are unlocked. You'll know if a game is locked to a specific region as it should have red text on it telling you.

TheDanger

Banned
On kinguin.net you can get cheap keys that aren't Russian, I bought quite a lot of games on there and never had any problems whatsoever. Everything in English and fully working.

Vasek45

Neo Member
No, they install communism on your PC instead of games and then will pretend they didn't actually capture your hard drive and that it was that other malicious program from Adobe.

On a more serious note, first you should check if the game you're buying isn't region locked to RU/CIS because that's what a lot of publishers do in our region and then double check the source you're buying the key from (beware of scammers). Otherwise they seem to work pretty fine.

Vuze

You're best off checking back with SteamGAF on such matters before you purchase. Games could be region-locked, geo-locked, just be available in Russian etc. pp. There is no general answer to your question.

I highly recommend dealing with high-reputation traders (there are quite a few around here on GAF who sell at good price and are obviously trusted; check out the B/S/T thread to find some) instead of resellers such as Kinguin etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You need to be wary of region-locking measures. Here's a post I did on the matter a couple of weeks ago:

The various region-locking options are thus:

Language-based: Used with region-specific subs, publishers can elect to supply only specific non-English languages. -- e.g. Watch Dogs RU supports only Russian.
Special notes: None.

Runtime-based: Used with region-specific subs, onlyallowrunincountries or its sister prohibitrunincountries allow publishers to allow/deny access to specific users based on their IP address. This is by far the most annoying method and up until ACRTAG was also the most popular. -- e.g. Age of Mythology RU (allows only Eastern European IPs)/Wolfenstein: The New Order ROW (prohibits German IPs).
Special notes: Affects everybody who has the sub, both those with unused gift copies sourced from the restricted regions (game is region-locked at the activation level) and those with activated copies (game detects launch eligibility based on IP address).

Gifting/trading-based (1): Used with any sub, AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting being disabled results in gift copies sourced from South American, South-east Asian or Eastern European users being region-locked at the activation level. Unlike the above OARIC/PRIC, however, if you'd activated your copy before the flag were implemented, then it will remain region-free. -- e.g. Valiant Hearts RU.
Special notes: Does by itself not affect activated copies -- they remain region-free.

Gifting/trading-based (2): Used with any sub, publishers can elect to disable the gift purchase function entirely. Unfortunately, this isn't something SteamDB can detect; fortunately, though, it's something that is easily circumvented. -- e.g. DE:HR Director's Cut.
Special notes: None.

With CD keys in particular, publishers can also restrict activation to users in certain countries. While using a VPN to activate region-locked gift copies on Steam itself is ill-advised, to date there are no reputable reports of Valve being concerned with users who've used one to aid in key activations.

Read the OP. He's not talking about buying resold keys but rather buying gift copies of games through other GAF users.

ChipotIe

Banned
It's not safe or legal

This. If you're exploiting region locks or circumventing region prices that is.

If you think saving a few bucks is worth being a piece of shit then by all means, be a piece of shit and hopefully get banned.

As for gifting... I actually have no idea.

Sykra

It's pretty safe on kinguin, scams are rare, and are mostly human error mistakes that get sorted out.
Doesn't seem illegal, they are usually CIS keys.

Toki767

If you think saving a few bucks is worth being a piece of shit then by all means, be a piece of shit and hopefully get banned.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about people in say Europe or Japan having US PSN accounts to buy games that are cheaper there?

A lot of people do it on every platform.

Tagyhag

I think calling someone a POS over being a smart consumer is pretty harsh bro.

Ventara

Do you even know what you're talking about? The OP wants to buy Steam gift items from Russians who trade them for TF2 keys.

It is both safe and legal. Don't be a jerk by calling people POS.

OP: Only thing to look out for is that some games are region locked. That's it.

Ozium

Please explain your reasoning as to why someone is a "piece of shit" for doing something that is not illegal or immoral.

What is wrong with you?

Speevy

Banned
It's safe if you know who to buy from.

Why is someone a piece of shit for saving money? You're actually getting the developers more sales, and if you recommend others do the same, you are spurring future sales.

If I buy Divinity Original Sin through a Russian, I don't have to wait for it to go on sale on the US Store. The developers get my money sooner, not later.

Это отличный. Пожалуйста, сделайте это!

Ваш друг,
Сергей

ChipotIe

Banned
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about people in say Europe or Japan having US PSN accounts to buy games that are cheaper there?

That depends. Did they buy their games in the appropriate country at the appropriate price or are they breaking the local law to get a discount?

I think calling someone a POS over being a smart consumer is pretty harsh bro.

Breaking the law to save a few dollars isn't smart. It's criminal. You might as well just pirate the game.

Do you even know what you're talking about? The OP wants to buy Steam gift items from Russians who trade them for TF2 keys.

It is both safe and legal. Don't be a jerk by calling people POS.

What are you talking about. Using keys out of region is neither safe nor legal and regardless of what currency you use to get it it's still a bannable offense to use them regardless of how you actually acquire them.

Please explain your reasoning as to why someone is a "piece of shit" for doing something that is not illegal or immoral.

No I don't care to explain how circumventing region prices by installing out of region keys is not a good thing. If this isn't what you're doing then clearly I'm not talking about you.

aku:jiki

I agree. There is nothing filthier than circumventing corporate policy. What would the world be without our benevolent corporate overlords controlling the world economy through monopolistic price-gouging? Free and fair, that's what! Absolutely disgusting.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ozium

What are you talking about. Using keys out of region is neither safe nor legal and regardless of what currency you use to get it it's still a bannable offense to use them regardless of how you actually acquire them.

sIMuB.gif

Portugeezer

Gold Member

I like this guy. Don't ban him pls.

epmode

I've been reading GAF for years and I don't see this at all. People were not allowed to discuss sites that sold stolen keys but that's not the same thing. These days, people trade TF2 keys for cheap games. As far as I can tell, discussing that practice on GAF is fine.

edit: Oh, you're talking about banning Steam accounts? Show me a case where Valve banned an account for using an out of region key. The worst I've seen is that they disable the key so you can't use it.

edit edit: I'd also love to see something stating that using these keys is illegal. Violating ToS is not the same thing as illegal.

iosefe

That depends. Did they buy their games in the appropriate country at the appropriate price or are they breaking the local law to get a discount?

Breaking the law to save a few dollars isn't smart. It's criminal. You might as well just pirate the game.

No I don't care to explain how circumventing region prices by installing out of region keys is not a good thing. If this isn't what you're doing then clearly I'm not talking about you.
I think you misunderstood what people mean when they say keys. They mean Tf2 and dota2 crate keys. They trade an amount of those to a Russian or otherwise who has it in his inventory. At this point, the game was already purchased, you are merely trading commodities

eot

Banned
You're not going to get banned from Steam over it (haven't they stopped acc bans anyway?), but you might get access to the game revoked.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've gotten, installed, and played through all of Valiant Hearts, which I got from a Russian. I've also gotten and activated Dead Rising 3 from a Russian. No problems so far.

Nabs

When we talk about Russian keys in SteamGAF, we're talking about TF2 keys that we trade for cheaper Steam gifts from Russian sellers. Most of us skip the sketchy grey market sites like cheap2gift5team1 and steam4u or some shit. I just made those sites up, please don't visit them.

I recommend asking SteamGAF before you buy anything, some games are region locked and someone like JaseC will set you straight.

Vasek45

Neo Member

What are you talking about. Using keys out of region is neither safe nor legal and regardless of what currency you use to get it it's still a bannable offense to use them.

No I don't care to explain how circumventing region prices is not a good thing. If this isn't what you're doing then clearly I'm not talking about you.

avPvD5i.jpg

Actually burst out laughing at the sight of the word "criminal".
And then again:
1) Breaking what federal laws and in what countries
2) Implying that playing outside your regions in MMO's is illegal
3) Stating that buying games that are unavailable in your region (and that in some cases might never be) — also illegal
The most unbelievable thing I've read in a day and I'm reading a fantasy book at the moment. Simply Amazing

Ventara

I think you have something confused here. Using VPN to get around region locks is bannable.

We're talking about region free games that can be bought cheaper elsewhere and can be safely and legally activated in another region. It's fine if you don't believe me, but don't spread misinformation.

SerTapTap

Just wait for a sale, it's Steam and you're a cheapskate, you know what to do.

There's a reason US steam keys are region free and russian/etc ones often aren't. Legality and morality aside, I wouldn't want to screw with it.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Man, I never knew that I'm breaking the law by using a US psn account from Europe. I'm an outlaw now. Yeehaw!

Tenck

So is Chipotle going to tell us what laws are being broken by trading virtual tf2 keys to a Russian steam user who bought their game legally?

Just wanted to put this in here, to make everything clear:

Steam Subscriber Agreement

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose.
If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

You're not allowed to use VPN/Proxy to activate region locked Steam games, but you're free to activate unlocked copies, regardless of where they come from.

Arcanine55

Neo Member
I have trade games for Dota2 keys or cosmetics some times and I didn't have a problem, but I think that is just a matter of time that the games that you can trade in Steam will be more region locked.

In any case, if the game is stolen and you get it by a trade without knowing it (Remember, always only with th2/dota2 keys or cosmetics, never real money), Valve will eliminate the game in your library, but It will give you the items that you give to the trader, at least It happened to a friend of mine when the natural selection stuff. Sorry for not having source over this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just wanted to put this in here, to make everything clear:

Steam Subscriber Agreement

You're not allowed to use VPN/Proxy to activate region locked Steam games, but you're free to activate unlocked copies, no matter where they come from.

I'll just reiterate that, historically, Valve has turned a blind eye to VPN usage as far as key activations are concerned. Understandably, though, some prefer to err on the side of caution given that using a VPN at all is technically prohibited.

Top Bottom