• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

iuLqyZjMHwv5A.png

Firefall
- Mobius and pet octopus
"Earth was showered in fiery meteorites which left resources in its wake that jumped scientific progress years ahead. But when
humanity became too greedy, they inadvertently caused a calamity to envelope most of the surface of the world and an alien
force known as the Chosen invaded and conqueed most of the planet. Only a few isolated pockets of resistance remain and
it is your job to retake Earth."

Vertical Drop Heroes HD
- MRORANGE
"Vertical Drop Heroes HD si a rogue-like rpg with random generated levels which features split-screen, local co-op and network
play to boot. The games focuses more on unique combat system where proper planning is more important than quick reflexes.
Based on the web game which had over 2 million players it's worth a look for anyone who is into the rogue-like genre."

OlliOlli
- MRORANGE
"OlliOlli is a game based on mastering skate techniques and building up your score, being able to pull off amazing stunts
before you fall flat on your face in failure, with it's multiple game modes and vibrant 2D design it's worth picking up, the game had
recent acclaimed as being one of the current noteworthy indie titles on the PSVITA."

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon
- More_Badass
"In Murder in the Hotel Lisbon, you play as the (in?)famous Detective Justin Case and his wisecracking robot sidekick Clown Bot,
investigating a hilariously strange suicide case. How strange? Well the victim "committed suicide with 14 stabs to the back while at
the same time he peacefully drank his coffee." The zany characters and the witty dialogue and plot twists make for a fun narrative.
Explore locations, gather evidence, interrogate suspects and witnesses in this whimsical adventure game."

Sunless Sea
- More_Badass
"Set in the popular Lovecraftian/gothic world of Fallen London, Sunless Sea lets you explore the vast Unterzee, a sprawling expanse of
ocean deep beneath the earth where grotesque things and terrible fates await those who dare venture into the abyss. As captain, you
command your vessel and crew as you discover new lands, fight dangerous enemies, upgrade your ship with better parts and new
weapons. Endure starvation, madness, mutinous crews, and horrors beyond comprehension on the black waters of Sunless Sea"

Gods Will Be Watching
- More_Badass
"The original Gods Will Be Watching was a confined and taut experience, laser-focused on delivering its bleak hopeless tale. Now
expanded and enhanced, this dark point-and-click adventure leaves the wilderness behind and brings its tough decisions to a variety of
tense nerve-wracking scenarios. From handling a hostage situation to enduring torture and more, there are no good or bad choices,
only shades of gray. Choose wisely and remember...Gods Will Be Watching."

i3e1K7Zg1FFgT.png

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
FAQ:
  • Sites that list Steam profile Stats? - Check list, remember not to spam this thread with your profile stats:
ibqIESyjpcC7Z0.png

iBsHuI4DuuPPH.png

iL4selISdDYy4.png

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for August (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in August that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 30th July

Games / Gaffers:
Residue - BinaryPork2737
Ultra Street Fighter - MRORANGE
Shadowgate - Hugstable
Metro Last Light Redux - Demon Lizardman
Shelter 2 - Yrael
Hatoful Boyfriend - BinaryPork2737
Crawl - Trejik

There was a white light and... suddenly I was here. Ah, a new thread. Yes, this is good.

Has anyone tried the Abyss Odyssey online co-op yet? Is it any good? Also anyone wanna try it a bit with me today/tomorrow?

hitoshi

New thread yaay

ModBot said:
Instructions for hitoshi:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bad Hotel -- MB-2DB797968610C5FF - Taken by fuzzy123

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Love the title, just perfect.

I highly recommend Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon as well as an off-beat good comedy Adventure game to play as well if you are looking for something to amuse you between other games. It's right funny.

Why am I still awake? Why is there another Steam thread?

y'all post too much

To spread the love.

We post too little

I was editing this when the other thread got closed... so I'm going to post it here.

Strider isnt that bad right? it look interesting. I might bite and get it.

Fuzzi calls me sensei for warning him about Strider...
In fact, I'm going to share a conversation with SteamGAF that him and I had.
Background you need to know:
When I was trying to gain information to gift Fuzzi something, he pulled that "checkmate" move with the first of his 3 giveaways in the past 24 hours saying that if I ever gifted him something, he would never gift anything to anyone in SteamGAF again.
When I pressed him about it, he further threatened with "I'll buy 10 copies of Strider, at full price, and give them away to SteamGAF if you do anything."

When I caught up with him tonight, I wanted to know which of the threats was a bluff. The following conversation ensued:

corrosivefrost: Sir, you do realize both of the lines you drew in the sand conflict with each other, right? :p
corrosivefrost: maybe i just gift you a game so that you don't ever give away 10 copies of Strider
corrosivefrost: lol
Fuzzi: Strider's not a gift - it's an infection. :p
corrosivefrost: oh, do you agree with my review then?
Fuzzi: I played it with a friend; it's...not very good is it?
corrosivefrost: thank you!
corrosivefrost: lol
corrosivefrost: at best it's mind numbingly mediocre
corrosivefrost: if you're like me and have been waiting for over 10 years for a new Strider...
corrosivefrost: then it's a horrific disappointment
Fuzzi: Yeah, my friend's a big fan of the NES game.
Fuzzi: He couldn't be bothered finishing this one.

Wait. You have a PS4. You most likely have PS+. Why don't you just play it on your PS4 and find out, since you should already own it there. It's not like the difference between playing it on PC vs. PS4 will matter (if there even *is* a difference).

Ibuki

Banned
There was a white light and... suddenly I was here. Ah, a new thread. Yes, this is good.

Has anyone tried the Abyss Odyssey online co-op yet? Is it any good? Also anyone wanna try it a bit with me today/tomorrow?

I tried a little at launch and my character kept falling through the floor. Id be up for trying it again though.

Caerith

So regarding Paganini, it looks like the AO devs did the research. People at that time really did believe his talent derived from a deal with the devil.

Tellaerin

I like the concept of Gods Will Be Watching, but what's with this trend in pixel art characters with boxy bodies and long noodly limbs lately? This doesn't look as extreme as, say, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, but I really do hope this fad runs its course soon. :s

http://a.pomf.se/okmytk.webm "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER"

contains waifus, gundams, and j-pop

you're welcome.

Her VA sounds like she's drunk when she delivers that line. o_O

dot

What game is that? And webms can have sound? What is going on?!

Yes...it can have sound. I always put sound on mine.

I can't remember this had J Pop in it when I started it for the Playfire Reward lol

The song popped up halfway through the boss battle. About 3 hours in. I just had to webm it.

Is pomf still setting off antiviruses by the way?

zkylon

zkylewd
I like the concept of Gods Will Be Watching, but what's with this trend in pixel art characters with boxy bodies and long noodly limbs lately? This doesn't look as extreme as, say, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, but I really do hope this fad runs its course soon. :s

why

it's purrty

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Playing F.E.A.R and I'm enjoying it so far.

As you should be. ;) I'd say the game's greatest flaw is just the lack of setting variety, especially in the later stages of the game during which you're spending hours in office buildings or underground facilities.

Pastafarians.

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

Tizoc

Freedom Planet will release this coming Monday.
Also dat new thread smell *sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif* ah so fresh.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Always wanted to be featured on the first page of SteamGAF.

Edit: This had positive unintended side effects!

Can I do remote downloading? - Yes, login into the Steam community webpage and select the game to download.
Did not know that. Life will never be the same again.

JaseC

Nice gotta love that smell of a new thread in the morning.

Now if just steam support could return my TF2 keys so i can trade me some more games, they do seem to take forever to even respond tho.

~2-3 days is generally the norm outside of sale periods.

Fuzzi calls me sensei for warning him about Strider...
Put me firmly in the crowd disappointed with Strider.
As I said in the chat with Corrosive-sensei, I had a friend who is a massive Strider fan. The NES title was his first game he ever played (he still has and plays his copy). He made the hype shown by Happy Console Gamer look tame in comparison.
This new game was a huge disappointment to him, and since he stopped playing it after the first time hasn't gone back.

Take that for what it's worth.

dot

As I said in the chat with Corrosive, I had a friend who is a massive Strider fan. The NES title was his first game he ever played (he still has and plays his copy). He made the hype shown by Happy Console Gamer look tame in comparison.
This new game was a huge disappointment to him, and since he stopped playing it after the first time hasn't gone back.

Maybe his expectations for the game were just too high.

This is why you shouldn't be too hyped for a game to avoid things like this.

As I said in the chat with Corrosive, I had a friend who is a massive Strider fan. The NES title was his first game he ever played (he still has and plays his copy). He made the hype shown by Happy Console Gamer look tame in comparison.

I was a newcomer to the series and I am so far enjoying it. It feels like a faster action version of mark of the ninja. The neon graphics are funky and it can be fun to slash everything to pieces. I'm curious as to what the main complaints from old time fans are? Maybe it's too easy.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I am the reason behind the new thread's title. I feel special somehow

JaseC

okay since it is a new thread, did anyone buy Wolfenstein from Nuuvem and get the new preorder goodies? (like GMG)

Oddly enough, the thread I made for the GMG deal received quite a bit of attention, but there hasn't been a single post since I bumped it with the news that Nuuvem is also having a sale on the game -- the deal isn't quite as good, admittedly, but the difference is tiny (roughly $2.80).

Finally bit the bullet and got me that Fallout NV ultimate edition (used GMGAU-3J9MF-MUINW on GreenManGaming for a special Aussie only 30% off which made it just under $5).

wilflare

Oddly enough, the thread I made for the GMG deal received quite a bit of attention, but there hasn't been a single post since I bumped it with the news that Nuuvem is also having a sale on the game -- the deal isn't quite as good, admittedly, but the difference is tiny (roughly $2.80).

yea I saw your post haha am trying to find that out now :/

Sober

Finished this earlier. I actually bought this game day one for full price but I hadn't really touched it until recently (like just before the Humble 2K Bundle dropped).

Don't let it sit in your library if you picked it up for the 1$ to 5$ it's been going for recently. It's pretty damn fun.

gwZhq3V.jpg

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Real Time With 99% Pause

Played on Veteran difficulty (3/4), 14 hours to get through the main campaign with all the side missions. Finished with the achievement where no squadmates bleed out (and die). I found it relatively easy for the most part. Combat was the highlight of the game and where most of the hate seems to stem from people not understanding exactly how to play it. For all intents and purposes it looks and plays like a typical Gears clone (third person over the shoulder cover shooter with roadie cam sprint) but it shouldn't be.

Combat in this game is pretty much what happens if you distill XCOM (Enemy Unknown here) gameplay, which is turn-based strategy, into a third-person shooter template. Props to 2K Marin to sticking to that rather than making it about peek-a-boo cover shooting. You can play it like that, but when you do, it seems to get frustrating (at least on Veteran or Commander difficulty) because you won't get a lot done. You want to constantly be throwing you abilities out and repositioning your squadmates. They should always have some order, an ability should be on cooldown, and they should be focusing their fire on a specfic target. Hell, they even yell at you if you leave them to their own devices. In fact, they should be doing most of the damage if you use them properly. Yes, you pretty much have to babysit them, but that's about to be expected in an XCOM game anyway. Yes, it is true there is no real 'pause' in combat (short of going to the main menu) but the time dilation is so extreme that even waiting for the last second to tick down off a cooldown feels like an entire minute. You have plenty of time to react.

The game certainly lacks polish, and the troubled development history of the game shows occasionally. Some of them are really minor like funny clipping, down to annoying things like checkpoints (there are almost none in the large XCOM hub base that you can roam around inbetween missions) and the occasional sound bug I ran into (where your character will not talk and therefore any scripted dialogue will stop working, unless you reload the checkpoint). There are some weird geometry issues where you just sometimes get knocked around by a squadmate but aren't really anything but a nuisance. I do wish there was more polish and balance in combat and the class abilities. Some of them are fun and varied but the biggest issue I found was the engineer weapon selection/progression (shotgun, laser shotgun, plasma rifle? whereas their skill progression was perfect) as an example, where they are wholly ineffective in actual direct combat for the longest time even if you micromanage them into good flanking positions. You can't rely on them to help put fire on something like a drone because it's videogame shotgun logic applied to the extreme. The last thing I want to say about the lack of polish in combat is having to walk your abilities. It's honestly not as bad as it seems except you have to walk it up and down elevation rather than fuddling with the cursor; you can't have the cursor jump over simple cover or anything either, which is slightly annoying.

Otherwise, the emphasis on flanking enemies or knocking them out of cover works really well when coupled with the fact you actually do bonus damage on enemies that are flanked or exposed. Yes, you can plink away at the exposed bits while the enemy is in cover but you actually do less damage in that case. The only thing I kinda wished was there was some suppression mechanic to help fix the enemy in place so flanking was encouraged even more. Exposed (when an enemy is out of cover, or Aiming, functionally the same) doesn't provide as big a damage bonus which sometimes is confusing when you feel like you are actually flanking an enemy. You can pretty much get away with never having to actually engage in combat yourself (there is an achievement in that vein). I never did unless the arenas were really large that it helped to close some distance and maneuver, or there was a mini-boss/boss-sized enemy (basically anything that had armour), although obviously it just requires some more maneuvering and patience to finish them off. There is a bunch of graularity when you start picking up more backpack schematics to fine tune what you want, like better armour/shield damage, trading ability range/power/recharge speed for another thing like accuracy, etc.

The story is nothing noteworthy, though. The main throughline makes sense enough to get you where you need to go and offer variety in encounter design and environments. Obviously some lack of polish here as well, as some things were never really explained (or they were but never really paid off, like how you have the glove/powerfist/scanner device after the first mission). There is a *swerve* at the late-mid-game that's supposed to explain some of these things but it's also nothing to write home about. The notes scattered throughout the levels were alright, but I mostly skimmed those rather than really read them. There were recordings but they were diagetic so you couldn't just play them and go about running doing whatever; if you ran away, you wouldn't be able to catch it all. Dialogue just played over one another (when it didn't bug out and stop entirely) in those instances. There are few "choices" thrown around but they never really amount to much, or they are glossed over in a way, or it ended up playing the wrong line of dialogue (for the other choice) anyway.

It's easily a 6 to 7/10 kind of game (we're using the whole scale here). It's obviously had a bunch of production money thrown at it that it looks fantastic with environment and character design (but not really the animation). The combat is why you want to be playing this. It's definitely a nice twist on the XCOM formula in a different perspective that works out really well at the end of the day. Lacks polish and could use some balance is really the only true mark against the game, but if you've heard of the shit the game went through in production, it's a surprise something this good came out at all.

Maybe his expectations for the game were just too high.

This is why you shouldn't be too hyped for a game to avoid things like this.

His were probably too high I agree. My expectations weren't.
It feels so...standard? Uninspired? It didn't really have an identity of its own, it was just poorly imitating the older games with a bump in graphical fidelity.

On the plus side, it is actually a game. More than can be said for some titles on Steam (hi Sakura Spirit).

oipic

Bit LTTP on this (I imagine it has just made it third thread-opening appearance of the month), but Sunless Sea looks great.

I had seen the name, but it was only when I finally jumped into Fallen London in recent weeks that I realised that it is by the same folks, and shares its setting etc. Looking forward to picking it up at some stage, as it is a compelling world - thanks for highlighting it, More_Badass (you're a good friend of indie gaming, thank you for that, also).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom