• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metrico - |OT| The only time Sony will want to see a pie chart and PS Vita together

Amir0x

Banned
metricoldjnx.jpg

Release Date: August 5, 2014 for PS Vita
Price: Free on PS+ August; regular cost $13.99. Size is 677MB. Thanks FDC1
About:

metricoconceptymjam.jpg

In Metrico the player needs to traverse the game world, which is built from all sorts of infographics, like bar diagrams, pie charts, line graphs, etc. These infographics constantly change based on your actions, movements and input. It’s something we’ve never seen before, that’s why we conveniently dubbed this ‘Input Morphing’. And also, because you are morphing the entire game world with your input.

Imagine if you would, a bar shooting up in the sky when you fire a projectile, while another shrinks with every step you move. A pie chart may embody the times you have died and a triangle plot shows the relation between your horizontal and vertical movement of your PS Vita.

You have to watch your every move to make it to the end of the worlds, because this move may cause the next platform to become unreachable. You will have to analyze and experiment with the world presented, while your reflexes, intuition and smarts are being tested. The challenge of the game lies within figuring out what each infographic conveys and being able to think outside of the box.

Link

Video: Gameplay Link
Other Media:

Bonus: Music by Palmbomen, who made the song Stock in Grand Theft Auto V. Fantastic synthesizer music with iconographic visuals and puzzle-platformer gameplay. I know I can't wait!

coldone

It looks very much like Thomas was alone .. :(. Instead of square box they have animated shadow. Will have to try it out tomm, but i just have a feeling it will be another play 30 minute and forget type of game.

Amir0x

Banned
It looks very much like Thomas was alone .. :(. Instead of square box they have animated shadow. Will have to try it out tomm, but i just have a feeling it will be another play 30 minute and forget type of game.

well since Thomas was Alone is a good game I'll have to hope it is that good!

Dugna

That title man.... >.> Happy to try this out tomorrow though I watched that new video on the PSBlog and got me slightly interested because of the tricky platforming.

Ridley327

The demo that's been in Vita kiosks for a few months now is pretty rad, so even if it wasn't going to be free on PS+, I would have checked it out regardless.

And yeah, quite excited for the soundtrack, as I have been completely immersed in all this retrowave goodness as of recent.

Amir0x

Banned
The demo that's been in Vita kiosks for a few months now is pretty rad, so even if it wasn't going to be free on PS+, I would have checked it out regardless.

And yeah, quite excited for the soundtrack, as I have been completely immersed in all this retrowave goodness as of recent.

i am surprised vita kiosks even have any updated games on it these days. haven't touched one in like a year and a half now haha

so this is basically a puzzle platforming right? the level change according to your action so you had to figure out how to manipulate the level in order to progress the game.

gameplay vid is interesting, I'll wait to see how long the game will be, if it had sizable content or the price is cheap enough than I'll try this, otherwise, probably wait for sale.

Ridley327

i am surprised vita kiosks even have any updated games on it these days. haven't touched one in like a year and a half now haha

To be fair, that's about the only game in there that isn't about a year old. They still have the old Guacamelee demo with the old assets in there!

Famassu

No one should ever use pie charts in relation to ANYTHING. Piecharts suck ass, there's nothing that a piechart could convey that other means don't convey tons better. Pie charts are the worst graphical means to convey numerical information.

#saynotopiecharts

Ouch, that title! Really looking forward to see what this game has to offer, truly like what I have seen so far and free with PlayStation Plus is always a bonus.

mclem

In Metrico the player needs to traverse the game world, which is built from all sorts of infographics, like bar diagrams, pie charts, line graphs, etc. These infographics constantly change based on your actions, movements and input. It’s something we’ve never seen before, that’s why we conveniently dubbed this ‘Input Morphing’. And also, because you are morphing the entire game world with your input.

The Cartography Room (Jet Set Willy II)

UQhMSDu.png
UTrI2BH.png
DGAbJAM.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
As someone who grew up with Mario and is now working with Excel every day I can see that I'm in the target demographic.

coldone

IGN reviewed: 6.5. Mostly technical, control issues. Including long load times.

I am surprised that games like this even have load times.

Moobabe

sn00zer

Woah very weird little game.... enjoying it so far, not the back touch so much, but the restis stellar...will post pics later, but all the cool pics are spoilery

Flandy

Was this game at e3? I remember seeing it somewhere and thinking it looked really interesting. Will give it a download. Judging from the reviews I'm glad it's a PS+ game

Phil S.

Banned
Very clever thread title, Amir0x! It hurts, but it's clever! :)

I'm wanting to try this game out. I'm hoping I can get the funds.

jwk94

Was this game at e3? I remember seeing it somewhere and thinking it looked really interesting. Will give it a download. Judging from the reviews I'm glad it's a PS+ game
Yeah it was just behind the Lego Ninjago station.

The game is pretty interesting for the most part and the puzzle solving is unique. I don't think I would have paid for it (at least not at full price) but I can't complain about getting it for free, especially since the game is enjoyable.

Raw64life

Just played this for a bit. Fun enough, although it definitely has that flash game feel to it and the loading times are inexplicably long for a game that looks like this. I got stuck at a part in the 3rd level and turned it off without giving it much thought. I'll probably come back to it later.

hmm? Thëre's several Vita exclusives in 2014.

Have a list handy?

Amir0x

Banned
This game is pretty soothing so far. I love the puzzles on top of puzzles, when you have to try to literally unlock little secret pie charts by doing even more special types of specific actions.

anddo0

Very glitchy game. I wasted almost 20 mins on the opening level because a platform failed to appear. I looked up a walkthrough on YT and sure enough is was a bug. I started over and the platform was there.

Liking this so far. Playing with my Pulse Elite headset and it sounds LOVELY. I'm only about 45 min-1 hour in--looking forward to playing more.

kazinova

I thought this game was about platforming on infographics, so far it's only platforming on generic 3D cuboids with infographic style stuff in the background.

Maybe that changes but I'm impressed by the concept but not the execution.

Even the graphic suggesting you put on headphones is off. It suggests the audioscape is so good you'll want the experience of headphones rather than the Vita speakers. Spoiler alert: it's not that great so far.

It might be someone's cup o' tea, but it certainly, and sadly, isn't mine. I wanted so much more.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love this game. It's early days but right now this is looking like my favourite game I've got with PS Plus in a while. It sounds really nice, it's fun and relaxing to play and it just seems really cleverly designed.

Top Bottom