• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metrico - |OT| The only time Sony will want to see a pie chart and PS Vita together

Amir0x

Banned
I can't figure out how to get that second pie chart in the third stage. It looks like this:

piechartezpii.png

The blue circle is the checkpoint, the red is where the piechart is to collect, but I can't get it to actually appear all the way. When you jump, the left box in the sky moves a bit. When you select to go back to checkpoint, the two highest rectangles start to automatically move downward toward the ground.

I know how to pass this whole part. But I can't figure out what sequence of events I need to do to get that pie chart to appear. It's driving me crazy! And I love it >:D

NolbertoS

I'm intrigued by Metrico. So it is an indie game or PS Vita game?? If its a PS Vita game, any region selling a physical release of it??

I'm intrigued by Metrico. So it is an indie game or PS Vita game?? If its a PS Vita game, any region selling a physical release of it??

Indie, no physical release.

Any word on a patch to fix the technical issues? I've been looking forward to this game for a long time now but am so into another game right now that I don't know when I'll play it, haha.

broony

Enjoying this so far. Has a Thomas was alone vibe. Already been slightly frustrated with the touchpad though. Recommend plus people pick it up.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
ha, think i beat the last "real" level and now I'm stuck in an epilogue.

If you like abstract puzzles that require a degree of empirical attempts with minimal busywork (though there's a little) it's a fun game that can make you look like an idiot. I was twisting, turning and pitching!

Turnstyle

This is a fun little game - it's mechanics are simple, and there are plenty of 'of course!' moments when you crack a puzzle.

However, I had to stop playing it this morning when I hit the gyro stuff. I can't sit on a train twirling the Vita around like a baton. It was bad enough when you were crossing the logs in Uncharted, but this is way too much.

Hopefully the motion feature is just in this world? Please tell me that's the case...

Am I totally missing something?:

I'm stuck at a point where there's two objects to shoot and a quarter pie chart above your head. I can't possibly aim with my one finger and shoot these two objects and still run behind me to get the platform. I'm hoping I'm just missing something as these would be the worst controls I've ever encountered.

Renpatsu

Am I totally missing something?:

I'm stuck at a point where there's two objects to shoot and a quarter pie chart above your head. I can't possibly aim with my one finger and shoot these two objects and still run behind me to get the platform. I'm hoping I'm just missing something as these would be the worst controls I've ever encountered.
Step off to the edge of the platform.
Aim for the object on top first, two taps.
Immediately let go of the back touch and tap twice to hit the object in front of you.
While the all four shots are still travelling through the air jump back on to the platform before it rises without you.

twisted89

Personally I couldn't stand this game, the puzzles (if you can actually call them that) are just frustrating, I ended up bashing buttons to work out what was moving what, not particularly enjoyable. But this is just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this game and the fact it's free is a bonus!

I can't figure out how to get that second pie chart in the third stage.
In case you haven't solved it yet:
Run constantly to the right. This way you will be crushed under the falling pillars. First respawn once so the right bar turns into 50%, then when you respawn run to the right, do one small jump, and eventually get crushed. You will respawn but the right bar will still be 50%, continue doing this until the left bar settles at 55%, the upper pillars will get to the correct level automatically. If you fail with the left bar (easily done, had to do this at least 6 times), jump in the pit and start over. Hope you can understand my nonsense.

Buft

Neo Member
The only thing i don't enjoy is the long hangs when you move between screens. happens to often to fully ignore. Otherwise its a solid platformer.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
How in the holy hell do you complete the last puzzle? I've been trying for about an hour.

How in the holy hell do you complete the last puzzle? I've been trying for about an hour.

If you'd like to know :)
Respawn until the closest bar is completely down, then jump(for the first time! Or restart) and shoot the thing to times so it disappears. After that you walk over to the stair-like bars to the right. Shoot a couple of times to the left and immediately jump to the right, up on the first platform. The other thing will spawn and die right away, and you will rise up! to continue to the end. Hope i got everything right.

The trophies are quite a challenge, had to retry a couple of times to get less than 18 kills in world 3.

Loading times are bit long though and a restart option would have been nice.

Edit 2: nevermind

ha, think i beat the last "real" level and now I'm stuck in an epilogue.
I know this is a little late and you've probably figured it out by now.

But to people who are still confused with "the Epilogue":
Have you ever played Earthbound? And do you know of a certain waterfall?
;)

Deimo5

The trophies are quite a challenge, had to retry a couple of times to get less than 18 kills in world 3.

Edit: does anybody know how to pass this in world 5

HvJ7rOy.jpg

I know how to raise bar 1, 3 and 4, but I can't figure out which action is required for bar 2?

I think that's the one where you have to squash yourself or the enemy under that 0/5 red bar that grows when you shoot

Does this game drain anyone elses battery quickly? Seems to for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Edit: does anybody know how to pass this in world 5

HvJ7rOy.jpg

I know how to raise bar 1, 3 and 4, but I can't figure out which action is required for bar 2?

Let the red block crush you.

I think that's the one where you have to squash yourself or the enemy under that 0/5 red bar that grows when you shoot

Does this game drain anyone elses battery quickly? Seems to for me.

Let the red block crush you.

Thanks, I just figured it out before your posts. Edit: no battery drain for me

But I'm stuck again, a few sections later you have two horizontal blue bars and you have to activate two checkpoints. I can activate them, but then I'm trapped. Edit: got it, I was focused on the lower checkpoint to the left, stupid me

Slyjss

I'm having trouble in the second-to-last puzzle (I think), in the sixth world, the one with the spot in a triangle that moves
to the left when switching circle, to the upper-right when you jump, to the lower-right when you shoot the things that you release by activating the button on the top right.
. I have been like an hour and I don't seem to make any progress, I don't know if I'm missing some gimmick to use.

I'm having trouble in the second-to-last puzzle (I think), in the sixth world, the one with the spot in a triangle that moves
to the left when switching circle, to the upper-right when you jump, to the lower-right when you shoot the things that you release by activating the button on the top right.
. I have been like an hour and I don't seem to make any progress, I don't know if I'm missing some gimmick to use.
I believe you have to
jump on the platform (dont activate the respawn) -> move/jump it to the upper right and spawn two "enemies"
respawn to one of the first two circles -> move the platform back to where you are -> activate the respawn circle on the platform
shoot the enemies so that the platform moves to the lower right -> respawn to platform -> jump a couple of times to open the passage, respawn again and voila :)

Slyjss

I believe you have to
jump on the platform (dont activate the respawn) -> move/jump it to the upper right and spawn two "enemies"
respawn to one of the first two circles -> move the platform back to where you are -> activate the respawn circle on the platform
shoot the enemies so that the platform moves to the lower right -> respawn to platform -> jump a couple of times to open the passage, respawn again and voila :)

Thank you SO MUCH. I liked a lot worlds 1-5, but 6 is not my cup of tea. Every puzzle is a bit "try pushing every single button and moving the Vita until you figure out what you can and can't use", while the levels with a theme were far more intuitive.

playXray

I only looked this thread because I thought it would be some kind of joke but this game actually looks pretty awesome. Definitely gonna pick it up via PS+ this month.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
downloaded this just now, eager to see what it's all about. read some nasty impressions about tilt play and "camera play" in the psn thread, but of course, hyperbole is no stranger to the internets ;)

looking forward to checking it out for myself!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thought this game was rather decent, but as soon as I hit world 4 & motion controls were introduced, it started to fall apart. I got to the puzzle where each jumps lowers a platform & tilting lowers an upper pillar & raises a lower pillar, but just couldn't figure it out. It feels awkward trying to solve puzzles using both buttons & motion controls. Does it get any better after the one puzzle that I'm stuck with?

Also, man some of those trophies are going to be tough. How in the world do I clear World 1 in under 42 jumps?

Thought this game was rather decent, but as soon as I hit world 4 & motion controls were introduced, it started to fall apart. I got to the puzzle where each jumps lowers a platform & tilting lowers an upper pillar & raises a lower pillar, but just couldn't figure it out. It feels awkward trying to solve puzzles using both buttons & motion controls. Does it get any better after the one puzzle that I'm stuck with?

Also, man some of those trophies are going to be tough. How in the world do I clear World 1 in under 42 jumps?

In my opinion no, I enjoyed the first three worlds, from world 4 onwards it became frustrating, currently in world 6.

As for the 42 jumps, check this guide: http://greenzsaber.blogspot.be

Thank you SO MUCH. I liked a lot worlds 1-5, but 6 is not my cup of tea. Every puzzle is a bit "try pushing every single button and moving the Vita until you figure out what you can and can't use", while the levels with a theme were far more intuitive.
My Pleasure! :)
I have to say I kind of like the idea of having to find out what button/gyro does what in every level, felt like a plane simulator with constantly switching planes/controls.
The one major problem I had, was with the difficulty curve, often times it felt like the hardest puzzles where in the middle of the world and the the easiest sometimes at the end of a level..
Game is amazing. Only problem I have is the stuttering every now and then.
did it ever stutter during a puzzle? I luckily only had it stutter in-between puzzles
downloaded this just now, eager to see what it's all about. read some nasty impressions about tilt play and "camera play" in the psn thread, but of course, hyperbole is no stranger to the internets ;)

looking forward to checking it out for myself!
Luckily the gyro and camera stuff is almost only one world (one for the gyro and one with camera and some gyro in it) and its not too frustrating imo

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So motion controls are only in World 4? Hmm, guess I could tough it out. I was liking the previous worlds & even if I was having trouble, I never felt truly frustrated, but then World 4 just hit and all that fun was gone. Maybe it would have worked better on a PS3/4 controller so at the very least, I could still easily see the screen while I was tilting the controller.

Deimo5

I'm not that great at puzzle games but the final puzzle is the only one I needed help with, so it's not really the hardest game ever or anything? Haven't tried collecting all the pie charts though.
Thought it was pretty good anyway, and it's the first game I have seen that featured
using different colours of light in view of the camera to complete puzzles
. Whether stuff like that is too gimmicky or not is up to the individual I guess.
I'd say the current 7/10 metascore is about right.

just beat it, game was a bit shorter than i would have expected. the puzzles were good, though they start out strong and have a slight decline once you have to start using tilt controls and the camera, they didn't work too well without you having to really wind it up and finding the specific colors in a dark room where i was playing wasn't very easy. in the end though i had a good time with it, wish it would have been a little longer and maybe had some levels that combined all the learned mechanics other than one section dealing primarily with one and so on and so on. glad it was a ps+ game.

pleasantly surprised by the end credits too :3

Glad to hear some people here are enjoying this. Maybe I would have warmed up if I stuck with it but just couldn't get into it. I tried harder with Road Not Taken but gave up on that one as well. A couple PS+ misses for me this month but cool that people are liking it.

sep

This game has been a great little surprise from this month ps+.
The puzzles were good, the use of Vita's features was great and it ended before becoming too much. Also, the stat theme gives an original and weird atmosphere.

Coppanuva

On chapter 4 now after starting it up last night... man this is good fun. I'm really enjoying how cool some of the puzzles are. Glad I didn't pass this up!

I had high hopes for this game based on the aesthetic but it turned out to really not be my cup of tea. It feels like a game that relies on you having to figure out the conditions for each individual puzzle through copious amounts of trial and error, rather than learning how the whole system works and using combinations of the mechanics you've learned in creative ways.

To make that more concrete, in games like Portal you get introduced to a few basic moves like, say, placing a portal on a ceiling and a floor so you gain speed, and then place the first portal on the floor to be flung high up in the air. Great--now that's a mechanic you can use in certain places to get up really high, and the puzzle is in looking at a level and thinking about the tools at your disposal, and then finding a way through.

Metrico isn't nearly so intuitive because all of the different mechanisms in the game must be discovered each time you enter a puzzle. You might encounter an elevator pillar in a level, but it won't act like any of the other elevator pillars you've seen. Maybe this one responds by you shooting something, or maybe it responds to jumps, or maybe it requires you to kill enemies, or maybe you have to shine a light at the Vita's camera, or maybe you have to get crushed to death by this other pillar, etc., etc., etc.

I can see how this sort of constant discovery could be really fun for some people, but for me it's exhausting. I basically feel like every puzzle in worlds 4 and beyond, I have to basically try everything to see what actions will do what things in every level. And even after you figure out what to do, sometimes the margin for error is so tight that if you screw one thing up, you have to restart. Which might be fine if you weren't asked half the time to walk left while twisting the Vita upside down, or shoot precisely at an enemy while shining a red light at the camera, or other equally annoying gymnastics. I prefer puzzles where the creativity is in recognizing when you have to do certain things where, and it feels like Metrico has none of those "eureka!" moments.

I'm really stuck on the chapter where you use the camera. I point it at colors and it doesn't register like I think it would. Anyway I'm stumped at a puzzle, I don't know which number or chapter, but can't find any guides online past chapter 3. How do I find out what chapter and puzzle I'm on? I was really enjoying this until the camera stuff which is finicky; I point it at blue jeans and it reads green and I point it at a blue water bottle cap and it reads red.

SxP

I'm really stuck on the chapter where you use the camera. I point it at colors and it doesn't register like I think it would. Anyway I'm stumped at a puzzle, I don't know which number or chapter, but can't find any guides online past chapter 3. How do I find out what chapter and puzzle I'm on? I was really enjoying this until the camera stuff which is finicky; I point it at blue jeans and it reads green and I point it at a blue water bottle cap and it reads red.

The camera stuff is in Chapter 6. You can find out what chapter you're on on the loading screen, but you have to do some manual counting still.

A walkthrough for that chapter is here. It has images and everything, so you should easily be able to find out where you are in the chapter.

Top Bottom