• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hole Story: an RPG made by teenaged, female designers

Skele7on

Banned
imDpLKoSTOVau.jpg

ibftDHLsffQbkA.jpg

ikPjHsWoeHfq9.jpg

I laughed so hard at this conversation, it's really cool that they're making a game, I just don't think it's for me, but looking forward to their future projects though..

AH screw it, you can have five dollars....

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Backed largely because it was only 5 bucks and they are not assholes who limit the number of low priced slots, penalizing anyone who finds the campaign late. I probably wont even play it which has been the norm for me with KS games though I do intend to play Divinity once I move into my house.

Backed largely because it was only 5 bucks and they are not assholes who limit the number of low priced slots, penalizing anyone who finds the campaign late. I probably wont even play it which has been the norm for me with KS games though I do intend to play Divinity once I move into my house.

The prototype demo is like 10 min long.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That is adorable. And I can't help but feel sad that the comments are disabled.... because I know exactly why they did that (and would have done the same).

yeah. glad i donated, that video is rad as hell but... yeah. gonna be an uphill fight for those girls.

Phades

It's a little cloudy as to who gets the money. They basically say that "professionals" will be building the actual game, which is understandable, but is all that money going to those freelancers? Or does some go to fund Girls Make Games, or the girls themselves?

That is an interesting thought. Hopefully that isn't the case and the girls involved aren't just throphies/sock puppets/etc used to garner more attention similar to another instance that occurred roughly a year ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is the fact that they are girls so important?

Political correctness run amock. These days with feminists it's actually harder to be a white male than anything else. Typical Tumblr SJW nonsense. Probably a political move to get sheep to vote for Hillary "I'm a woman" Clinton too. Shameless. Do they really think the founding fathers intended women to make video games? Get real.

Those are much better better graphics than I was producing at 15 years old lol

I'm thinking of backing for sure.

edit: f'n unicorns SOLD

BGMNTS

Well if girls are making it I have to back it!

Political correctness run amock. These days with feminists it's actually harder to be a white male than anything else. Typical Tumblr SJW nonsense. Probably a political move to get sheep to vote for Hillary "I'm a woman" Clinton too. Shameless. Do they really think the founding fathers intended women to make video games? Get real.

:D what???

calder

I had KS open last night and saw this, $5 was well worth the modest premise. I like the idea of exploration through digging.

The fact that, like some other ppl, I saw the title and immediately thought about a Courtney Love themed game is just a bonus.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Kickstarter's a weird one.

How many people putting money on this are actually doing so because they are really interested in the game? Judging by the screenshots, it looks REALLY rough and the concept isn't particular noteworthy, so my guess would be not that many.

Which means people are supporting the Girls Making Games aspect of this, which goes against the KS terms of service that says you can't fund causes. This should be a charity, not a project on KS.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks pretty nice (definitely better than the rudimentary games I was making at 15!) and I fully support the more-women-in-STEM/gaming cause. Especially if at least one of them is a TWEWY fan. Will chip in some $$.

i feel like bumblebee and sunshine are like those "if you point out racism, you're the racist!" types

Yeah you're right. A non-white person like myself would definitely say that.

It's not that I think people are sexist for supporting a good cause, it's that I find this is one of the worst ways to give support. It's the same feeling you get when someone says "You know what, for a gender/age/colour/race/religious affiliation/disabled you deserve to this". No-one wants a free arse kissing because they have a considered "disadvantage". You don't want this type of mentality towards you.

That's the problem I have here. I feel that this game was created with the best intention and yet, the developers being female is what's important. Not that they made a product.

Edit: Played the demo.

Great cause, neat design, but very questionable name choice given the context and the derogatory use of the term towards women. Subscribed to check out later because I think it's very important.

5k is enough to port to all those consoles? Even as an indie game these goals sound really conservative. I mean, there isn't really much info on the game except for those pretty plain background images but still these goals sound odd. i can understand wanting to fund for the cause but yea, Susan Wilson is hanging in the back of my head.

I wonder if an indie dev GAFFER could give some insight on those goal numbers.
The camp may already have all the licenses and software from the looks of the video so the 5k could be reasonable

Ahh stupid double posting on mobile

Yeah you're right. A non-white person like myself would definitely say that.

It's not that I think people are sexist for supporting a good cause, it's that I find this is one of the worst ways to give support. It's the same feeling you get when someone says "You know what, for a gender/age/colour/race/religious affiliation/disabled you deserve to this". No-one wants a free arse kissing because they have a considered "disadvantage". You don't want this type of mentality towards you.

That's the problem I have here. I feel that this game was created with the best intention and yet, the developers being female is what's important. Not that they made a product.

Edit: Played the demo.

In my opinion it's due to the field not being fair, that it really isn't an ideal meritocracy where only the best talent get the attention. So, people with outside voices are given a spotlight to just give them a leg up when most other official channels won't. Some support for younger, lesser-heard developer backgrounds to encourage others to join this medium. For them to have a voice, and to have some progress towards a more inclusive industry.

We get cases like Susan Wilson out of this naivety, but here at least it is an actual game that can be played right now rather than just selling dreams.

RageBot

Banned
Because otherwise you'd get Ubisoft

An extremely successful company, selling dozens of millions of games?
Seems bad.

IMO things like that aren't the way to push forward involvement of women in the gaming industry.
Instead, there needs to be more focus on role models like Corrine Yu, Yoko Shimomura or Amy Hennig, women who "made it big".
From what i've seen*, most of the girls in this project don't actually code the game, or make the ingame assets, I think it's just a wrong direction to take.

*If i'm wrong please correct me.

Top Bottom