• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Dont expect for me to say much

1. House of 1000 Corpses

WdKOV68.jpg

I always open up with this movie. Its just fun to watch.

2. The Rope Maiden (short)

This is a fun little short that is kind of like a instructional video. It has a dude hang a woman from the ceiling with rope and then he guts her

3. Paraphilia (short)

Dude drags a corpse out into the middle of the woods and he has fun with it.

4. Dead Nude Girls

This flicks follows a dude and he likes to kill girls. Lots of rape and scissors and axes going in places where they dont belong

5-6. Inner Depravity (shorts)

So these 2 shorts are weird. Lots of graphic violence..

7. Geometria (short)

Sometimes kids dont know what they are really asking for.

8. Cronos

A great take on vampirism

Film 2: Ju-On: White Ghost; Ju-On: Black Ghost (Amazon Instant Video UK)

e5e55Bs.jpg

You’ll kill a woman with this hand…

These films are each only an hour long, and they were released on the same day, so I’m counting them as one thing for the horrothon.

I have avoided scary Japanese movies for a while now. Mainly because well, they’re just too damn scary! As my theme for this year is non-English language movies I’ve decided I’ll have to man up however.

I really enjoyed both these films, and both of them gave me a serious case of the creeps, just as I was expecting. Black Ghost is probably the pick of the two, with better performances and a more satisfying story. It didn’t send shivers down my spine quite the way White Ghost did though. My wife put her head round the door of the mancave at a crucial moment during that one, and then had to beat a hasty retreat.

Verdict: Excellent. Hoping those sound affects don’t make an appearance in my nightmares any time soon.

Mideon

1 of 31

You're Next

Typical slasher film with cool animal masks. Loads of horrible deaths that did make me cringe once or twice. Predictable outcome but a fun ride.

Dat food processor!!!

3/5

Steamlord

1 of 31

Rosemary's Baby

Kind of a slow burn. It wasn't really scary but when everything starts to fall into place it gets pretty messed up. It's also the first I've seen by Polanski. Not to bad of a flick to start off the month.

"Hail Satan!"

3.5/5

If you're looking for more movies to watch, I can't recommend Repulsion enough. It's the first in Polanski's "Apartment Trilogy," with Rosemary's Baby being the second, and it's quite possibly my favorite horror film of all time.

Day 1 : House On Haunted Hill (1959)

I am Frederick Loren, and I have rented the house on Haunted Hill tonight so that my wife can give a party. She's so amusing. There'll be food and drink and ghosts, and perhaps even a few murders. You're all invited.

Wonderful start. It´s not scary but it´s so much fun. Vincent Price had such a presence on screen, he´s truly wonderful. His scenes with the stunning Carol Ohmart were so good.

Frederick Loren: Do you remember the fun we had when you poisoned me?
Annabelle Loren: [laughs] Something you ate, the doctor said.
Frederick Loren: Yes, arsenic on the rocks...

The rest of the cast does their job fine. I also found out this was a source of a gif I´ve seen around a few times. At a short 75 minutes, you´ll never get bored as there´s always something happening. Haven´t watched many Vincent Price movies so this felt like a good opportunity to start. There´s an undeniable charm to this old movies that I love.

Very pleased with my choice to start the month, now I need to start thinking what to watch tomorrow.

Bonus : the cast list on IMDB had me laughing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
1. Pontypool (US Netflix)

Eerie, initially anyway. I really enjoyed it in the first half, but as it began to reveal what exactly was going on I felt it became weaker for it. Which is bit unfair of me because I wanted to know what was occurring, but I did not like what they went with. Besides that I liked the initial small town vibe as established by the supporting actress and the man who played the main has a great voice, radio or otherwise.

Divius

h25rIMG.jpg

#02 - 28 Days Later...
Danny Boyle's 2002 horror 28 Days Later is scary as shit and very unique. And while the terrifying rage infected people are technically not zombies in the classic sense, I still count this as one of the better zombie movies. The movie is gritty and realistic in its approach, the UK setting works great and the performances are fairly great all around. The infected are among the most terrifying of all the silver screen zombies because of their speed and their ... rage. The final act is an often discussed shift in narration and focus and while I personally don't hate it, I'm also not the biggest fan. Regardless, this movie is terrifying and an awesome watch. 7.5/10

Ridley327

Dont expect for me to say much

1. House of 1000 Corpses

I always open up with this movie. Its just fun to watch.

2. The Rope Maiden (short)

This is a fun little short that is kind of like a instructional video. It has a dude hang a woman from the ceiling with rope and then he guts her

3. Paraphilia (short)

Dude drags a corpse out into the middle of the woods and he has fun with it.

4. Dead Nude Girls

This flicks follows a dude and he likes to kill girls. Lots of rape and scissors and axes going in places where they dont belong

5-6. Inner Depravity (shorts)

So these 2 shorts are weird. Lots of graphic violence..

7. Geometria (shorts)

Sometimes kids dont know what they are really asking for.

8. Cronos

A great take on vampirism

I think I feel confident to say that one of those films is not like the others.

rogueriffers

Neo Member
Been looking forward to this thread all year!

Oh, that sounded really terrible. I do have other interests.

Anyway I'm starting this month out easy. Nothing obscure or challenging or weird -- just going to enjoy a classic.

Tonight it's Friday the 13th Part II.

1. Feast

If anyone is looking for movies to watch...Here are some of my randomly picked ('lesser known') recommendations from my previous years.
[/URL]

I kinda randomly strolled through reading this topic and felt like watching a movie. I decided based on your description and your take, I chose to watch Feast. I am so glad that I did. It was fantastic. A great horror/comedy/last stand movie. The best thing about it, was how many anti cliches there where at the same time being a huge cliche. Characters are built like stereotypes but end up like nothing like you thought they where. No one was safe and I never knew what was gonna happen next and enjoyed it the whole time. I give it a solid 8/10 with a high recommendation for fans of the genre. Thanks for the pick Divius! Now to watch the sequels. For better or for worse.

Now that I think about it, Feast reminds me of From Dusk Til Dawn a lot. That's a good thing.

J-Roderton

2 of 31

House of The Devil

Managed to knock out two today. I dunno where to begin with this one...It had a cool atmosphere, 1980s vibe, but the pacing killed it for me. (And I absolutely love The Innkeepers) oh well.

Anyway, it has a pretty nice climax, but im sure most of you will be able to figure out what's coming. It does end up with a nice little ending to it. Not great, not awful.

2/5

It's HERE!!!

Oct. 1

640px-Poster_-_White_Zombie_01_Crisco_restoration.jpg

I welcomed the opportunity to re-watch this film as one of our "recommended" viewings this year. I've owned the Roan restoration since it's release maybe 12 years ago, and this is classic early 30's horror and despite being dated remains a perennial favorite of mine along with the likes of Frankenstein and Bride of..., The Old Dark House, Dracula, The Island of Lost Souls and King Kong. Historically, as the first zombie movie, it was the model for all that followed until George Romero broke the mold in 1968. Artistically, it's a little creaky at best, but there's a dream-like quality to it I find very appealing... Some scenes
(such as when John Harron is drunkenly mourning his wife's apparent death in the café surrounded by the shadows of couples drinking and dancing)
are very beautiful and powerful, and how can you not love a Lugosi villain with the name Murder Legendre? Stuffed vultures and questionable missionaries notwithstanding, it's wonderful stuff...

I'll start into my month of Hammer films tomorrow, and where else to begin but at the beginning with The Curse of Frankenstein! The remainder of the week will be spent on the other five Peter Cushing Frankenstein films...

View List 2014 - The (mostly) Hammer Horror edition
  1. White Zombie (1932)

GhaleonEB

Tonight, Critters 2.

I'm going with a "mostly 80's monster movie" theme this year. I have my list largely together, will finish it up and post tonight.

Tonight, Critters 2.

I'm going with a "mostly 80's monster movie" theme this year. I have my list largely together, will finish it up and post tonight.
Mmmmm, cheeseburgers. No bones!

1. Aaah! Zombies!!
2. Candyman: always wanted to see this but was scared as a kid. Overall nothing too frightening but it had a neat score and Tony Todd is pretty badass.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For those with Netflix and those with VPNs, here is (just about) every horror movie available across the regions. Anything that repeats, isn't being listed twice. To save time and space.

US:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Absentia
American Mary
Argento's Dracula
ATM
Black Sunday
Cabin Fever Patient Zero
Candyman
Carrie (1987)
Children of the Corn/3/4//5/666 Isaac's Return
Contracted
Creepshow 2
Dead Silence
Dead Snow
Devil
Devil's Pass
Dracula 3000
Event Horizon
Evil Dead 2
Fido
Friday the 13th: Part 7: The New Blood
Fright Night
From Dusk Till Dawn
Grave Encounters 1/2
Halloween Resurrection
Haunter
Hell
Hellraiser 1/2/3/Bloodline/Revelations/Inferno/Hellworld/Hellseeker/Deader
Here Comes the Devil
House 1/2
House on Haunted Hill
Ichi the Killer
Insidious Chapter 2
Ju-on: The Grudge/2
Leprechaun
Let the Right One In
Maniac
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Nosferatu
Odd Thomas
Paranormal Activity 4/Unrated
Pontypool
[Rec] 3
Re-Animator
Rosemary's Baby
Scream 1/2/3
Silent Hill Revelation
Slugs
Sate of Emergency
Texas Chainsaw (2013)
The ABCs of Death
The Bay
The Blair Witch Project
The Cabin in the Woods
The Caller
The Collection
The Craft
The Crow Wicked Prayer
The Final
The Fog
The Frighteners
The Horde
The Host
The House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Monkey's Paw
The Pact
The Shrine
The Snowtown Murders
The Ward
Tucker & Dale VS Evil
VHS 1/2
Vampire in Brooklyn
Wishmaster
You're Next

Canada:

30 Days of Night
Chernobyl Diaries
Child's Play/Seed of Chucky
Darkness Falls
Doghouse
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Dracula 2000
Fright Night 2
Halloween (2007)/H20/The Curse of Michael Myers
Hostel 1/3
Insidious
Let Me In
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Pet Sematary
Pumpkinhead
Saw 1/2/3/4/5/3D
Teeth
The Eye
The Descent 1/2
The Devil Rejects
The Grudge
The Haunting in Connecticut
The Last Exorcism
The Mist
The Strangers
The Thing (2011)
Would You Rather

Mexico:

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Apoll 18
Boogeyman
Case 39
Candyman 3
Child's Play 2/3
Cube 1/2
Friday the 13th (2009)
Idle Hands
Paranormal Activity 2
Poltergeist
Psycho
[Rec]
Stigmata
The Amityville Horror (both 1979 and 2005)/2
The Collector
The Crazies
The Gate
The Messengers
The Omen (1976)
The Ring
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Woman in the Black
Twilight Zone the Movie
Wishmaster 2

Sweden:

Cabin Fever
Cube
Dawn of the Dead
Drag Me to Hell
Halloween II (2009)/Season of the Witch
Jeepers Creepers 2
Saw VI
Scream 4
Shutter
Silent Hill
Slither
The Conjuring
The Orphanage
The Shining
Wrong Turn

UK:

An American Werewolf in London
Carrie (2013)
Friday the 13th: Part 4/5/6/7/8
Fright Night (2011)
Panadorum
Sinister
Thirteen Ghosts
The Ring Two
Unborn

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Ended up watching movie #2 tonight, because my girlfriend wanted to join in on the fun and had never seen it.

Alien. One of the best horror movies of all time, and a film I will never get tired of. Every frame is perfect. Watching someone see it for the first time was a lot of fun. She knew next to nothing about it, so I kept my eyes on her during the chestburster scene. It was exciting. She ended up loving it, and we'll be watching Aliens tomorrow night.

#1 Scalps (1983)

15229315438_a24630ef34_o.jpg

- A bit of a rare slasher that time forgot and for good reasons. Out somewhere at a former mass battle site in California where a bunch of Native Americans died, the Indian spirits now terrorize anyone who enters this land. The spirits screw with the minds of a group of young archeologists digging up Indian artifacts, and eventually possessing them. A fairly slow moving film, and one that is pretty poorly shot with so many random odd style choices made, and really bad sequences where night scene goes to a scene obviously filmed in the day time and filtered. This is a major stinker that even some ok gore doesn't really help. It's an ugly and nasty film, and no wonder its a bit of a rarity.

inm8num2

No better way to start 31 Days of Horror than with my dear friends Roger Corman and Vincent Price. :)

#1 - The Haunted Palace
ATr2gdS.jpg

Gorgeous visuals in this one. Technicolor was so damn good for horror films. The movie derives from Lovecraft and Poe - another knockout combination. Lon Chaney Jr. also stars. Really enjoyed this one. Sorcerers, curses, and a dash of Cthulhu mythos.

i2BsxS2.jpg

01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)

I'm going to keep this review short because everyone is (hopefully) watching it.

Admittedly, I haven't seen many movies from the '30s, but out of those, I'd say White Zombie is probably the best. Well, maybe a little under Frankenstein. I enjoyed it much more than Dracula and the Mummy.

I was actually pretty surprised by how sophisticated it was considering its age. There was some pretty interesting shot compositions and a good use of score (once you got past the pretty barren first quarter of the movie).

The plot itself was pretty simple and it felt like the writers were still trapped in a writing for a stage play mindset, but I think it worked well enough. My biggest issue was with the ending though, and how
Madeline regained her humanity. I would have preferred if it went with something a little darker.

Overall, a bit of a slow start and a pretty simple plot, but a good movie for the time. 10/10 for that bad ass poster though.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)

izakq

1) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

I've only watched bits and pieces of the movie before, but never saw the whole thing, including the ending. The character Ben was just awesome. And then that ending out of nowhere, damn. Movie was slow, but it was expected considering the time it was made. The film being in black and white created a great atmosphere for it. Thumbs up.

gabbo

#1 Grave Encounters (I should have said I wasn't sticking to the order of my list earlier.)
This is what Session 9 would be like if it had been made today, and was terrible.
The CGI doesn't help (the arms, dear god the arms, so bad), and that I didn't care for any of the characters really made it easy to see them go. The girl was typical horror trope garbage. Light on plot, lighter on scares. I may just watch Session9 right now as a palette cleanser

Snaku

Banned

#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)

Viewed via:

I'm a horror movie buff, born and bred. While other kids watched Aladdin or The Lion King, my Aunt let me watch any and every horror film she owned. Child's Play, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. But there was always one horror icon that always held a special place in my heart, then and now: Warwick Davis' Leprechaun. There was something incredibly unique about the character. Sure Freddy had loads of charisma, and one liners. But Warwick chewed up the screen with his portrayal of the Irish fairy, clearly having more fun murdering filthy gold thieves than a kid at Disneyland. Any of those first three Leprechaun films are as fun to watch now as they were then, and it's with that in mind that I sat down to watch Leprechaun Origins earlier this evening.

I didn't go into this completely ignorant of the project. I knew Davis had been replaced by WWE's Hornswoggle, and that this would be a complete reboot of the series. I also knew that they were going for a more realistic take on the folklore, and that the Leprechaun would be little more than a mindless monster. But when you cut the heart out of a character like that, you take the fun out of the whole film. Leprechaun Origins is not fun. It's not endearing. It's not even scary. It's a dull, extremely by the numbers monster fest, with very little to keep the audience interested. Sure there's a brief moment when the Leprechaun actually demonstrates a hint of cleverness, which is by far the highlight of the film, but if you blink you'll miss it and then it's right back to rawr I'mma get you college kids. If they intend to use this to kick off a new series of Leprechaun films, which the ending would suggest, then WWE Films is going to have to do a hell of a lot better on the next one.

Final Viewed List
#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)
#02 - Annabelle (2014)
#03 - Frankenhooker (1990)
#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)
#05 - Phantoms (1998)
#06 - Clownhouse (1989)
#07 - White Zombie (1932)
#08 - The Possession (2012)
#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)
#10 - Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

Ridley327

WEEK ONE (Sept 28-Oct 4): FEARFUL FORESTS

More than just being a cheeky coincidence for my own yearly ritual, Rituals caught my eye during research for two reasons:

1) It was described as being the Canadian Deliverance
2) It was also described as being a perpetually underrated horror film

While I was drawn to more the latter, it should be noted that while not strictly a horror film in of itself, Deliverance certainly made people, men in particular, more wary of camping trips in a way not too dissimilar from what Jaws did for trips to the beach. I haven't personally seen the film myself yet (please don't shoot me!), but its influence was so strong and so distinct that there's a sense that one doesn't necessarily need to in order to understand the power it wielded. It's not often that you get films that try to draw favorable comparison to a film like that, to the point where a film like Southern Comfort (soon to be viewed for this week's theme, I might add) included it in one of its taglines.

But this isn't an essay about a film I haven't seen, yet somehow managed to find time to include two of its closest points of comparison for this year's marathon. This is about my thoughts on one of them, and I must say that if this film has compared as favorably to Deliverance as its known to, then I should make an effort in the near future to watch it, perhaps as an extra credit assignment of sorts.

Rituals begins with an inspired dick joke. Difficult as it sounds that anything could possibly be inspired about that kind of humor, a lot of credit goes to the film for not making it obvious that we're going to be getting a dick joke, and the reason for that is because it largely revolves around an ethical debate on whether or not a doctor should get into that field, let alone have dreams of franchising the procedure. It ends with a punchline where it's finally revealed what the procedure is for, and it generates the expected laughs.

What makes it a strong scene for a film that has a lot of them is that while you're anticipating the punchline, it manages to sneak in a hell of a lot of character development for guys you won't get to know their names for another couple of scenes. Points and counterpoints are barbed with personal traits that don't call much attention to themselves: one guy is a bit passive-aggressive, another more direct with criticism, another still with bigger plans. It goes on like that, and it becomes apparent soon after that this is a film that treasures inference more than outright explanation. When past operations get discussed, they are done in such a way where these men wouldn't need to explain the nuts and bolts, because, after all, they're all doctors here, but it never gets too technical that someone not as versed in the field can't catch on to at least the gist. There's a great deal of history shared between these men, where they know the routines of everyone they know, and just how to deal with them when someone steps on their toe. All this without a single backstory dump.

And then someone goes and steals their boots while they're sleeping.

The things we take for granted when we're out of our element would be miles long, but as it turns out in this film, the disappearance of their boots is what starts bringing out the worst in these guys. One of them, DJ, chides them for failing to read the itinerary and reading the suggestion of bringing along an extra pair of shoes, which charges him with the task of having to be the one to head out to find help. In what couldn't possibly be more than half a page's worth of dialogue, we find out more about the kind of man DJ is with how he treats his supposed friends than we would have if he simply stated how he felt about them for god knows how long. We hear more chiding from the rest of the group about botched operations and the ethics of keeping vegetables alive. Frustration doesn't just set in, so much as it becomes the only way these men know how to communicate.

And then things get much worse, between them and what beings to happen to them.

If you couldn't tell, Rituals takes a risky gamble with having largely unsympathetic characters as the focus of the story. It's a tough act to pull off, as it requires a lot of faith in the audience to be on the same wavelength throughout to make an investment that doesn't have the most high-spirited payoff by the end. For Rituals, though, it makes it even more difficult by being more of a film about inference rather than explanation, so there's no such convenience for anyone to have something spelled out for them. This is especially evident late in the film, when we do finally get a backstory dump about one of the characters, but it's all "wrong," as it's actually being told by one of the other characters, and the character development is more in how the first character stonewalls the other character while he's telling him what he already knows.

For me, it's a gamble that pays off in spades, as even bad people have good stories to tell. While Rituals is not exactly wanting as far as the performances go, which are great across the board, or for direction, which is strong and is able to render the Ontario wilderness with a mix of haunting beauty and creeping menace that feels understated and lean, it's the story these men have to tell that keeps me glued to my seat. I almost didn't even want to see just who is tormenting these men and why, and it's somewhat appropriate that that particular aspect of the story remains muddled and somewhat unsatisfying, as I knew it wasn't ever going to live up to what happens when all the bullshit and years of resentment of these men finally boil over and rise to the surface. In a weird way, finding out that guys with so many problems are also doctors is scarier than any backwoods psycho with an axe to grind could ever hope to be. That's a hell of a feat to pull off when only one of them uses bear traps.

daffy

Banned
Tonight I watched Blair witch project. Don't really have much to say besides I thought it was a better found footage movie than paranormal activity when it first released. It really just succeeds in pulling you in and gently shutting you out to where you feel like you just participated in some madness. Classic movie.

51gzw4irpl-_ss500_.jpg

Based on Cinemassacre's monster madness review, I'd figure I'd start off my movie marathon with this one and all I can say is......a bit disappointing. Didn't really like the twist in the movie and those two scientist guys were assholes.

Also, it was weird seeing Thor in a horror movie, lol.

-Kees-

#1 Evil Dead II (1987) (October 1st)

For whatever reason the first time I saw it I was completely indifferent, but that's certainly changed. It's an absolute blast. Hilarious and loaded with great practical effects. It flies by and makes you want to go back as soon as it's over. I'm sure a lot have already seen it, but I highly recommend it.

#2 White Zombie (1932) (October 1st)

Another rewatch but my feelings are still the same, it's OK and Lugosi is always a fun watch but the rest of movie doesn't really hold me. The shots of people silhouetted against the horizon and the scene of the zombies working the mill are stand out images for me. I've seen a couple of early Lugosi movies and of them I think The Black Cat from 1934 is really something special. Also I can't be the only one who unknowingly remembers seeing bits of White Zombie in an episode of Muppet Babies. http://youtu.be/Q3WvJ5OjA4k?t=16m5s

One last recommendation, Netflix just added The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) the other day. The structure is a little off and it's got some misplaced comedy but the killer scenes are pretty good and it's just under 90 minutes long.

So I wanna start this but not sure what types of horror films I should watch.

My taste aligns with campy and entertaining but still horror.

Some examples of films I enjoyed: Return of the Living Dead, Reanimator, Cabin in the Woods, The Fly, John Carpenter anything, etc.

man, you really do want to hurt yourself.

I did this two years ago. Wasn't as fun as I hoped. Almost all of the films were horrible.

#1 The Sacrament
Director: Ti West
HDvg5sH.gif

This was pretty disappointing.

After The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers I was hoping Ti West would stick with his strengths of creating incredible tension and atmosphere, instead we are dealt a film that bares all of itself. It didn't even try to lead on the viewer at all, it was completely straight forward, everything you think a cult would do, happens. I did admire some of the score, it at least added a bit of tension but overall this was a disappointment.

Bulk_Rate

#1 The Sacrament
Director: Ti West
HDvg5sH.gif

This was pretty disappointing.

After The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers I was hoping Ti West would stick with his strengths of creating incredible tension and atmosphere, instead we are dealt a film that bares all of itself. It didn't even try to lead on the viewer at all, it was completely straight forward, everything you think a cult would do, happens. I did admire some of the score, it at least added a bit of tension but overall this was a disappointment.

Yeah this one ticked me off. The setup was good and then instead of doing anything interesting, it plodded along
straight into 1:1 reenactment of Jonestown - I was hoping for a supernatural or other twist
- The actor who played the cult leader was solidly creepy though.

Yeah this one ticked me off. The setup was good and then instead of doing anything interesting, it plodded along
straight into 1:1 reenactment of Jonestown - I was hoping for a supernatural or other twist
- The actor who played the cult leader was solidly creepy though.

Also the only noteworthy performance, everyone else was pretty forgettable.

Steamlord

#3 - White Zombie

The only other Lugosi films I've seen are Dracula and Island of Lost Souls, and while this one wasn't as good as those (though Island of Lost Souls isn't amazing either, especially compared to the source material), it was still a lot of fun, and it's got a nice Gothic atmosphere. It's always interesting to see pre-Romero takes on the zombie concept. That classic Lugosi gaze is definitely the star of the film.

And that last line. Goddammit, missionary dude.

#4 - Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Holy shit, that was a blast. Very dark comedy with plenty of gore that somehow still comes off as charming and lighthearted. Loved it.

#1 Scalps (1983)

15229315438_a24630ef34_o.jpg

- A bit of a rare slasher that time forgot and for good reasons. Out somewhere at a former mass battle site in California where a bunch of Native Americans died, the Indian spirits now terrorize anyone who enters this land. The spirits screw with the minds of a group of young archeologists digging up Indian artifacts, and eventually possessing them. A fairly slow moving film, and one that is pretty poorly shot with so many random odd style choices made, and really bad sequences where night scene goes to a scene obviously filmed in the day time and filtered. This is a major stinker that even some ok gore doesn't really help. It's an ugly and nasty film, and no wonder its a bit of a rarity.

Bitchin' poster tho!

After recommendedations from friends I figured I would finally watch this film. Holy shit was this great. I can't recommend this enough. The style (I'm a sucker for this type of cinematography), the acting, the story, and even the sound were all perfect. Really sets the mood. I watched this alone late at night and it def gave me a few uncomfortable moments. Really creative idea for a horror film. Go in blind and watch this gaf!

ghostposter_sm.jpg

So I wanna start this but not sure what types of horror films I should watch.

My taste aligns with campy and entertaining but still horror.

Some examples of films I enjoyed: Return of the Living Dead, Reanimator, Cabin in the Woods, The Fly, John Carpenter anything, etc.

If you haven't seen them:
- The Evil Dead Trilogy
- Dead Alive/Braindead
- Basket Case
- Feast
- Tucker and Dale vs Evil
- Cemetery Man/Dellamorte Dellamore
- Pieces
- Dead Heat
- TerrorVision
- Dead Snow
- House (1986)
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
- Fright Night (1985)
- An American Werewolf in London
- The Howling
- April Fool's Day (1986)
- Shaun of the Dead
- Club Dread
- Drag Me to Hell
- Dagon
- Frankenhooker
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Halloween III: Season of the Witch
- Trick R Treat
- Monster Squad
- Toxic Avenger
- Terror Firmer
- You're Next

I better stop here or I'll he here all night...

An-Det

Day 2. The Sacrament (Netflix)

A guy brings some reporters from Vice to a remote compound while he goes to see why his sister is there. Things go bad since it turns out to be a cult. I was expecting something similar to 'Safe Haven' from VHS 2, but it was essentially Jonestown. The film is eerie for the first while at least, but overall it wasn't so much scary as it was "what is happening is fucked up" because of the real life analogue. It wasn't an overly good movie, but I appreciated it showing some of the more messed up things that happened, knowing that the historical version was even worse. The leader of the compound was well done, though.

Day 3: The Purge (HBO Go)

For 12 hours on a day each year, anything goes, get it out of your system. Neat idea, decently executed. However, as much as I can tolerate stupid characters in horror movies, these two kids take the fucking cake. They've lived most/all their lives with the Purge being a thing, and the first thing the each do is fuck things up first chance they get. I was thrown off by one thing early on (
the cookies from the neighbor, I expected them to be poisoned, but that no one would eat them until during the Purge so it'd be legal
), but otherwise there were no big surprises to me. It was decent enough that I'll probably watch the sequel at some point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
2. White Zombie

This movie not only featured zombies it also featured a lot of staring. The vulture also had one of the most annoying death shrills. I mean do they really sound that bad?

big ander

White Zombie - Now here's a progenitor of trashy cinema—T&A, cheap as hell, jumbled and held together by glue and twine and coats of paint. It's clear the Halperins did try to make this a flashy and technically elastic film, willing to do anything for flair long as it didn't require a complicated camera setup. Mostly that makes for stylistic baubles (what are these wipes, curtain shaped? butt shaped?) hung on scenes that are varying levels of awkward in terms of staging, dialogue and pacing*. Swing enough and you'll make contact, or sublime moments rather: out of focus shots, the extreme close-ups, inner frames, the pull through the gate, the split screen. It helps to weigh against ludicrous dummies and a jerry-built narrative. Lugosi is undeniable, though I was more taken with Robert Frazer as Beaumont. Beaumont has the best arc in the film and his folly is twisted fun.

(*Some of this is in the editing, and I'm wondering how much of it is native to the film and how much is a result of the Netflix cut having been troublesomely pieced together. For instance, when Bruner slamming his desk matches with a jump cut that brings him around the desk and Neil from the back of the room to the front, that seems too coincidental to be a result of restoration. Yet arbitrary jumps in that scene and others that obliterate all logic can't've been intentional. In any case I'd love to see a better transfer of this, where artifacting doesn't plague the screen and Madge Bellamy looks like more than a pillar of white.)

EDIT: and prompted by other (very cool) reviews bringing up the phrase "...for its time" I'd just like to say that the movies in the '30s were not at all still in infancy! radical modern techniques involving sound and image were already being done in movies by von Sternberg, Chaplin, Lang, Renoir, Bunuel, Clair, Lubitsch, Ozu, Hawks, the Fleischers, Carne...while I can understand treating movies from the 1900s and 1910s and even early 1920s more as history, by the '30s things were pretty firmed up and excellence was all over

After recommendedations from friends I figured I would finally watch this film. Holy shit was this great. I can't recommend this enough. The style (I'm a sucker for this type of cinematography), the acting, the story, and even the sound were all perfect. Really sets the mood. I watched this alone late at night and it def gave me a few uncomfortable moments. Really creative idea for a horror film. Go in blind and watch this gaf!

ghostposter_sm.jpg

This is good to hear. This has been on my to buy list for awhile

#1 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)

I enjoyed it. Not really scary (the
zombidustrial sugar cane mill
scene was the creepiest to me), but it was a fun way to start the month. And of course, It's always a pleasure to see Bela Lugosi.

Here's a little joke for those who watched it:
Why couldn't the missionary defeat Legendre?
Because he was no match for him.

Some fun moments:
I saw you blink!
I saw you blink too!
"Dude... Srsly?" "Yup.'" "Come oooon, that totally fucked up!"
(gif for the last one)

Having them work on a sugar mill makes me thing that if corporations could control the dead, that would be the new outsourcing.
That's indeed an interesting concept. Has it been used in any modern movies, or are zombies always just an nuisance nowadays?

Extra credit: horror shorts!

Best I've seen tonight:
MAMA (wow, I need to see the feature film)
The Black Hole
There's No Such Thing
He Dies At The End (I know everyone hates the ending but I loved it)

Other good ones:
Mockingbird
Mannequin
2AM: The Smiling Man

I'm not saying those are bad, but I didn't enjoy them as much:
The Little Witch (moar like The Little Which amirite?)
Behind the Door
DOLLFACE
Knock

Divius

I kinda randomly strolled through reading this topic and felt like watching a movie. I decided based on your description and your take, I chose to watch Feast. I am so glad that I did. It was fantastic. A great horror/comedy/last stand movie. The best thing about it, was how many anti cliches there where at the same time being a huge cliche. Characters are built like stereotypes but end up like nothing like you thought they where. No one was safe and I never knew what was gonna happen next and enjoyed it the whole time. I give it a solid 8/10 with a high recommendation for fans of the genre. Thanks for the pick Divius! Now to watch the sequels. For better or for worse.

Now that I think about it, Feast reminds me of From Dusk Til Dawn a lot. That's a good thing.
Hey, glad you liked it! It is a lot of fun indeed, I cannot vouch for the sequels though, so good luck with those ;)

Rydeen

First watch!

img_20141002_010109_2z2xl4.png

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920)

Henry Jekyll is one of the most generous of London's upper class, running a free clinic out of pocket for the poor and homeless of the city, but after some colleagues take him to a nightclub where Jekyll turns down the advances of a beautiful dancer, he begins to feel constrained by the persona projected upon him by his friends and society. In response, he begins an experiment to separate his "good" and "evil" nature into two unique identities through drugs and chemical experimentation, and thus Edward Hyde is born. At first the two identities coexist, and Jekyll merely has to self-medicate to switch back and forth, but soon Jekyll is turning back into Hyde without the use of his drugs, and it seems Hyde is no longer intent on sharing his body with another personality...

One of the earlier adaptations of the classic Robert Louis Stevenson novella, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is still an effective version of the tale, especially considering the time of its release. John Barrymore turns in an exceptional performance, doing an incredible job of differentiating Jekyll and Hyde merely through facial expressions and body language (and later some VERY impressive makeup work for 1920). Just looking at the way he contorts his body and face, it would be difficult to tell it was the same actor, and by the end of the film, as Hyde's appearance becomes more and more repulsive, you definitely would not want to meet him in a dark alley! Watch for the sequence near the end, where Jekyll is visited in his nightmares by a giant spider with Hyde's face! Has to be seen to be believed.

Next:Continuing with the year 1920, more silent films, more expressionism, less United States, more German! Stay tuned...

Top Bottom