• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Movie #8: Plus One.

One of my Netflix blind films for the month. All things considered it is a decent flick. The first 2/3 is kind of average but the last 1/3 as they build towards the confrontation is quite good and makes good on the initial build up even though I hated the ending. David, the film's main character, is a massive piece of shit and was not satisfied with how things ended for that character. I'm not sure if he was written to be human garbage or if my personal bias makes me hate him but seriously fuck that guy.

Not all that scary and I would barely classify it as a horror movie but close enough I guess. Not bad for blind pick.

#5 Orca
Director: Michael Anderson
orcaqex1e.gif

This movie starts with a killer whale ramming a great white shark so hard it implodes.

This was pretty good and some parts are actually terrifying
holy shit at the aborting baby whale cesarian
. But the vengeful whale rampage gets kind of ridiculous, he "trick" jumps out of water every time he terrorizes the port in celebration and it's hilarious. It was alright.

strobogo

Banned
Actually had more fun with this one than I did 4. I just really enjoy some of the overall craziness/silliness here.

The laundry chute is probably one of my favorite set pieces in a horror/slasher film.

Halloween 6 has always been one of my favorites in the series. While the theatrical cut is a mess editing and plot wise, I've always enjoyed the atmosphere and the attempt at something different.

The Producer's Cut fixes or at least alleviates a fair amount of issues I had with the film. The editing, soundtrack, and plot are better in my opinion. I don't think I'd suggest the T-cut over the P-cut to anyone with the option of both.

While I'm not sure how I feel about the expanded ending, it's definitely better than the abrupt mess we received in the released version. I wonder where the series would've went from here if the film wasn't such a critical/commercial mess.

Michael being the father of Jamie's baby is a huge WTF moment though.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

Man, I can't find a single redeeming quality of 5. It's so bad all around. Character you liked in the last movie? Killed off for a staggeringly annoying replacement. Did you like how good of a child actor Danielle Harris was in the last one? Well fuck you, now she's a mute for 80% of the movie and has kid with a speech impediment do all the dialog. Thought the mask in 4 was dog shit? You ain't seen nothing yet, friend. Do you like how Halloween has mostly kept silly shit and dumb humor out of the series? Well, fuck you again, cuz we got the Keystone Cops, friend. Do you like humble mid western houses? Well, fuck you one more time because the Myers house is now a giant gothic mini-mansion in the middle of a suburb.

Basically what I'm saying is fuck that movie. I THOUGHT for a long time that I liked 6, mostly to be a contrarian, I think. The last time I watched it, it was horrendous. Better than 5, though. By a lot, even if 6 is pretty shitty. P-Cut included.

3. 28 Days Later

I forgot how low budget this movie was. I remembered part of the army story line, but not enough to remember that it was in this movie. There is a cut where it kind of ends after they reach the base and it's abandoned. I kind of think that would have made it a better movie. 6/10

4. 28 Weeks Later

The opening was great. The sad thing is it kind of taints the cast. I care less about the man's family because he made those choices at the start of the movie. I enjoyed the guitar in this movie and the action was pretty boss. I was really uncomfortable when it came to
the man raging out on his strapped down wife. Most media would cut away from such violent acts against women, but this one goes as far as to have it happen again in the subway. The night vision shot was a pretty great way to attach a camera to a gun and then keep it there when it was being used to bash the lady's face in.
If you had asked me how I would handle watching that before I did, then I'd tell you that it would be no different than if it had happened to a guy. I can't say I hold the same opinion after the performances by these two women. This movie is a great improvement over 28 days later. 8/10

Man, I can't find a single redeeming quality of 5. It's so bad all around. Character you liked in the last movie? Killed off for a staggeringly annoying replacement. Did you like how good of a child actor Danielle Harris was in the last one? Well fuck you, now she's a mute for 80% of the movie and has kid with a speech impediment do all the dialog. Thought the mask in 4 was dog shit? You ain't seen nothing yet, friend. Do you like how Halloween has mostly kept silly shit and dumb humor out of the series? Well, fuck you again, cuz we got the Keystone Cops, friend. Do you like humble mid western houses? Well, fuck you one more time because the Myers house is now a giant gothic mini-mansion in the middle of a suburb.

Basically what I'm saying is fuck that movie. I THOUGHT for a long time that I liked 6, mostly to be a contrarian, I think. The last time I watched it, it was horrendous. Better than 5, though. By a lot, even if 6 is pretty shitty. P-Cut included.

That hideous part 5 mask. Giant neck and long hair suddenly?

halloween_5_02.jpg

Ridley327

WEEK TWO (Oct 8): MEDICAL ISSUES

Overwhelming.

It's the only word that I can use to accurately describe this film. I don't think there are any other words that could really encompass my reaction to this. I wouldn't be so sure I'd be able to leave the theater if if I had caught this there, where the bombardment of images and sounds would have kept me in my seat long after the credits had stopped.

Describing this film to someone who hasn't seen it must feel a lot like Eddie Jessup (played masterfully by William Hurt) trying to explain what he's experienced to all of those around him who haven't. Where his experiences start out deeply personal but somewhat relatable, the film progresses to a point where they turn to the purely abstract. You see what Eddie sees, and yet you can't see it the same way he does, no more than he can see it the way you do.

I don't know. I feel like this film managed to get at a part of me that I don't really care to explore on a daily basis, yet this hit it like a bomb, and it's left me pretty shook up. It's simultaneously incomprehensible, and yet easy to relate to.

Overwhelming. There's that word again.

gabbo

October 8th Movie #8 Jug Face
Not really horror per se, but certainly some of the usual elements of a horror film were present.Overall amazing film with some great acting, and a twisted offbeat story.
Dawai and Ada specifically anchor the movie. The initial 'twist' totally changed the tone of the movie for me, and it was out of left field from there on.

Would definitely recommend this, and it's the high bar for the month.

inm8num2

#8 - Angst (1983)
tNTkkpM.jpg

A man gets out of prison after murdering someone, and it's not long before he's back to his old ways. Really brutal, both visually and psychologically, with some amazing camera work. Great soundtrack, too. Not surprised to learn Gaspar Noé is a fan of this film and agree with his comparisons to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

#8 - Angst (1983)

A man gets out of prison after murdering someone, and it's not long before he's back to his old ways. Really brutal, both visually and psychologically, with some amazing camera work. Not surprised to learn Gaspar Noé is a fan of this film and agree with his comparisons to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Just curious but did you happen to stream this somewhere or do you own it? I was interested in watching this sometime but I haven't noticed it on Netflix or Hulu and it isn't available through Netflix's DVD service.

inm8num2

Just curious but did you happen to stream this somewhere or do you own it? I was interested in watching this sometime but I haven't noticed it on Netflix or Hulu and it isn't available through Netflix's DVD service.

Yea, it seems like it's not on DVD/Blu-ray in the US. I went to youtube and luckily enough it's on there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wn_8QEfHQk
That doesn't have subtitles so I downloaded via Youtube Center, then I just searched for English subtitles.

You're right but on my list I didn't follow any particular order like year of release. All were pretty cool films. I personally love Night of the Hunter.

Haha... totally did not understand you were going by your watch list order... Have not seen Night of the Hunter yet, really need to change that.

That is.. unfortunate.

That's the only cover/poster/whatever of the movie that I'm familiar with and captures the tone of the film much more accurately IMO. The image you used makes it look like a much more in your face/cheap scares/over the top kind of a movie, which is a shame cause I thought the subtlety/subdued nature of the movie was its best quality.

I agree, that's largely why I had glossed over it as bargain-bin Netflix padding until people started commenting on how they enjoyed it. Didn't even realize there were other posters for it until your post.

Damn, I didn't manage to get to my movie today and I know you were all waiting for a review of Death Bed: The Bed that Eats.

Oh well, it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

#6: Honeymoon

Harry-Treadaway-and-Rose-Leslie-in-Honeymoon.jpg

Went to see this at the local art house theater after reading Patrick Klepek's writeup of it on Giant Bomb. I pretty much agreed with his take. Slow burn, very character driven, but it works really well. Reminded me a lot of a Ti West movie in that sense. There's a great level of tension towards the end as the questions start to pile up while the movie refuses to give up its answers. Definitely take Klepek's advice and don't see any trailers if you want to see this movie, I watched it afterwards and it literally hit every plot point of the move. My only complaint is that it never really went far enough with its scares, which is a big reason why seeing the trailer ruins the experience. 7/10

Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. I think the main reason it gets bad reviews is because people go in assuming it's a dark comedy. My only gripe was if they expanded on the idea a little more. It was a pretty predictable and safe outcome. If they had ramped up the crazy just a little bit more I would have strongly recommended it.

This is my list so far, in no particular order. Ive been on a huge italian horror binge lately.

Lucio Fulci
The City of the Living Dead
The House By The Cemetery
Don't Torture A Duckling
The Beyond
Zombi

Dario Argento
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
Deep Red
Suspiria
Inferno
Tenebre / Unseen
Opera
Phenomena

Wes Craven
Last House On The Left
Hills Have Eyes
Nightmare On Elm Street
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Scream
The Serpent And The Rainbow

John Carpenter
Halloween
The Thing
The Fog

Clive Barker
Hellraiser
Candyman

Etc
Misery
Psycho
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
The Fly
Dawn Of The Dead (original)
Silence Of The Lambs
Night Of The Living Dead (1991)
IT
Child's Play

My favorite infection (I won't say zombies because that always leads to arguments haha) film. The scene in the grocery store is one of my all time favorites.

The last half or so with the military doesn't bother me as much as others, though I do prefer the alternate ending where
Jim dies in the hospital
by a fair amount.

Not quite as good as the first but a decent effort. The opening sequence is just amazing and one of the more intense things I've seen from a modern horror film. Too bad the rest of the film doesn't really live up to the start.

Still hoping to see a 28 Months Later someday.

Enjoyed this one a lot more than I had remembered. Other than the changing mask and the huge retcon, I really liked it. It's still a joy to see the references to the previous entries throughout the film.

This is where the original Halloween series ended for me.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)

#1 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#2 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#3 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#4 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#5 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#6 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#7 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)

I didn't know anything about it beforehand. I understood from the title that it would probably be a horror comedy, but I had no idea how it was received (very well, apparently: over 90% at Rotten Tomatoes).
A nice popcorn horror movie. The first minutes made me think it would be equal parts horror and comedy, but horror took the back seat. That's not necessarily a criticism, as it was quite funny and creative... I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the most memorable movie I've ever seen. Good, but not that great to me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
#9 - Supernova (Netflix)

Avoid. This was categorized under Horror and sounded like an Event Horizon wannabe, but it was missing all the demonic stuff that made that one entertaining. The villain was lame and the ending was even worse.

Very troubled production, and it sat on the shelf for years. Some thought it would never see any form of release.

WoodWERD

Very troubled production, and it sat on the shelf for years. Some thought it would never see any form of release.

Interesting. I'm terrible with actor names but the cast was highly recognizable. I was really surprised to see a buff James Spader. It had potential but the dialogue and plot were shit.

Speaking of shit...

#10 - Atrocious (Netflix)

Avoid. It's a short Spanish home footage flick that could've been 10-15 minutes shorter if they cut all the running around through the forest (showing nothing but shaky trees), err labyrinth...very Blair Witch-esque. The last act had moments of creepiness but the ending was lame, partly due to some weird editing.

Steamlord

#10 - Blood Feast

I went into this fully expecting it to be terrible, which it was. Mostly I just wanted to see it for its historical significance as the first splatter film that I guess sort of opened the floodgates for gratuitous violence in movies. The terrible writing, terrible acting, and primitive gore effects make it much more funny than scary, but it's still an interesting piece of film history.

#11 - Inferno

I've only seen a few Argento films (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, and Suspiria), so I'll be trying to fill in the gaps this month with a few of his more popular films I haven't seen. I'd say this one was a worthy successor to Suspiria. It's not quite as good, but it's still a lot of fun and it has some great moments (the underwater scene stands out in particular).

Oct. 8

Dracula1958poster.jpg

Horror of Dracula (simply titled Dracula in England, but renamed for North America to avoid confusion with the Universal film starring Bela Lugosi) followed quickly on the heels of the very successful Curse of Frankenstein and was equally profitable, consequently setting the studio's course for the rest of its life. Introducing Peter Cushing's crusading Dr. Van Helsing against Christopher Lee's Dracula, the Hammer version of the tale is very different from Stoker's or Universal's. Van Helsing is no mild-tempered intellectual gentleman here, but a Doctor of Medicine, Philosophy and Metaphysics, as well as a more-or-less professional vampire hunter. And Lee's Dracula is far more visceral, sexual and athletic than Lugosi's portrayal allowed. In concert with Hammer's richly coloured sets, action heavy script, buxom starlets and (for the day) graphic blood letting, the Hammer Horror formula was confirmed and the film was hugely successful. Despite an iconic performance, it would be many years before Christopher Lee would again don the red-lined cape and blood-shot contact lenses that transformed him into the Prince of Darkness, and as many more past that before he and Peter Cushing would again face off against one another as Vampire and Vampire Hunter. In the end, however, Lee would appear as Dracula in seven Hammer films, and indelibly set his mark upon the character as a result.

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (Dracula week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)

obin_gam

#9 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
wWY2otb.jpg

Probably the best crime movie I've ever seen. Am really ashamed of myself for not having viewed it before. Everything in it fits perfectly and Michael Rooker is fantastic.
Now I can't stop imagining how much of this movie later movies took from, I recognized several scenes from several later and modern movies which seems to have originated from here.
I cant praise this enough! Why isn't this a classic?

Glad to see that GAF is doing this also. Some of us horror folk from the IMDb horror boards have it going on there as well as a Facebook group.

My list so far: (FTV = First Time Viewing)

1. The Wolf Man (1941) - FTV (8/10)
2. The Conjuring (2013) (8/10)
3. Cat People (1942) - FTV (5.5/10)
4. The Fly (1986) (10/10)
5. Mama (2013) - FTV (7/10)
6. The Mist (2007) (8.5/10)
7. Oculus (2014) - FTV (8.5/10)
8. Sleepless (2001) (7.5/10)
9. Sweeney Todd (2007) (9/10)
10. Eyes Without A Face (1960) - FTV (8/10)
11. Repulsion (1965) - FTV (8.5/10)
12. Dracula (1931) - FTV (6.5/10)
13. High Tension (2003) (9/10)

strobogo

Banned
Enjoyed this one a lot more than I had remembered. Other than the changing mask and the huge retcon, I really liked it. It's still a joy to see the references to the previous entries throughout the film.

This is where the original Halloween series ended for me.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)

I'm sure there are enough comics/books that make 4-6 plausible within the H20 story. H20 is SUCH a product of its time. Riding the wave of Scream and Dawson's Creek. The retcon in Resurrection is probably the dumbest and most offensive way to bring back the main character in any of the long running horror series.

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead
4. Gingersnaps
5. The fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play
10. Childs Play 2
11. Childs Play 3
12. Monkey Shines
13. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
14. Creature from the Black Lagoon 3d
First time watching this classic! The Blu Ray 3d transfer is fantastic! The movie holds up well, especially the chilling creature design. The underwater scenes are really some of the best

Film 10 - 5150 Elm’s Way

Violence is wrong.

5SF2Cwl.png

This Canadian movie about a film school student kidnapped by a chess obsessed murderous religious vigilante suffers from the same thing most psycho families from hell movies do, namely that it’s just really hard to believe this kind of craziness genuinely goes on in the mundane suburban neighbourhoods so familiar to many of us. The fact that it sometimes genuinely does happen never seems to make these films any more believable or realistic to me. It doesn’t help matters that this film starts unrealistically, and then gets ever more unconvincing.

It also doesn’t help that the first two thirds of the movie are so slow and boring. It does pick up a bit in the final act when the full-on crazy button gets pushed, and there are some fun Alice in Wonderland inspired hallucinations thrown into the mix, but it’s still a load of old nonsense.

Verdict: Worst film I’ve seen this month so far. And I hate chess.

It's a new week and that means a new slew of horror movies to torture myself with. The theme for this week is my favorite show of all time, The Simpsons. This show has made me laugh and turned me on to various films based on cultural references and parodies. My list will coincide with the Halloween episodes, Treehouse of Horror. These episodes are usually horror/sci-fi parodies and I will be watching films that were used.

Film 10: The Amityville Horror (1979)
Method of Viewing: DVD
Also watched: Treehouse of Horror - "Bad Dream House".

BAI9CgS.jpg
asr0uCw.gif

Pretty cool movie about a family that moves into a house where a murder was previously committed. Great suspense thriller.

Scavenger

#10 Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 10/9 *Seen it before*
This horror musical gets better and better with each subsequent viewing!

#11 Lisa and the Devil (1973) 10/9 *Seen it before*
I’ve seen it last month, but I wasn’t paying much attention I thought I’d give it second chance. This time around I enjoyed the film a lot more, but I still didn’t understand the plot very much. But maybe a confusing plot works to its advantage because the film plays out like a very vivid and creepy nightmare.

I shouldn’t be watching any films I’ve already seen at all, so I’m going to set up a limit of 5 films I’ve already seen. The remaining three are probably gonna be Hausu, Alien and Re-Animator.

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989) 10/2 *First time viewing*
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973) 10/4 *First time viewing*
#3 Scanners (1981) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#4 Hardware (1990) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#5 Videodrome (1983) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#6 Alligator (1980) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#7 Street Trash (1987) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#9 White Zombie (1932) 10/7 *First time viewing*

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)

8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)

-I feel like it went a bit off the rails during the second half
the brain-eating was a bit much
, but I really enjoyed the concept and special effects in this one.

inm8num2

Film 10: The Amityville Horror (1979)
Method of Viewing: DVD

Pretty cool movie about a family that moves into a house where a murder was previously committed. Great suspense thriller.

I read the book when I was something like 10 years old. Scared the hell out of me!

8. House on Haunted Hill (1959)

I don't have enough Vincent Price in my life, considering I really only grew up with him through The Great Mouse Detective and The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Here is a movie with a lot of haunted house elements that starts as a dare to spend a night there for $10,000 per person, and halfway through the movie, it turns into a murder mystery.

In the end, I thought this movie was OK. The atmosphere was good, and there's a few good scares, but boy the women scream too much, and
the "spend a night for $10,000" plot point disappears once the murder mystery starts, and it's not brought up again.

Day 9 : Afflicted

This was so cool. A dark version of Chronicle but with
vampires
. How the hell did Clif Prowse and Derek Lee managed to pull this off with just a 300.000 dollar budget? The action scenes were pretty damn good and the whole thing was just really well done. Yes, there are some stupid things like why they kept filming at some points and how didn´t the camera break with all the shots and
the guy running through a wall
but the ride is so enjoyable that I didn´t care for those details.

Day 1 - House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Day 2 - House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Day 3 - Oculus
Day 4 - Silent House

Day 5 - Cry_Wolf
Day 6 - I Am A Ghost
Day 7 - Home Movie
Day 8 - Dark Skies
Day 9 - Afflicted

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada): 4.5/5 A modern day classic. I can't believe it has already been 10 years since it first came out. The movie has gore, suspense and a downright great twist. The last 15 minutes is fantastic and ties everything in a neat little bow. My only gripe would be that the acting could be better.

#4) Halloween 2

This is so much better than Halloween 1. The movie gets the body count started right away. The ties between the characters are better established and the kills are more inventive. I can't believe that the officer that
ran the kid into the exploding van
got away with, "He just walked out in front of me!" Dude, a police car was already stopped in the middle of the street, where did you plan on going?

8/10.

Snaku

Banned

#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)

Viewed via:

If there's one movie that perfectly encapsulates my love of the classic Universal Monsters, which I obsessed over as a child, and the time in which I grew up obsessing over them, it's The Monster Squad. This late 80's horror-comedy, directed by Fred Dekker, is the Goonies with nards. I can't think of another kids movie with such a dark edge to it. Dracula doesn't give a shit who or how old you are, he'll rip your six-year-old daughter's face off if she stands in his way. Kids take naked pictures of high school girls as blackmail. Kids steak scantily clad vampire women through the heart. Kids shoot monsters with shotguns and silver bullets at point blank. Kids shove dynamite down the Wolf Man's pants and toss him out a window. Kids kick Wolf Man in the balls. Kids curse and shout homophobic slurs. Kids brutally slaughter every Universal Monster. It's hilarious, and one of the most enjoyable films I can think of.

The Monsters themselves are wonderfully realized by Stan Winston. The Wolf Man, Gill Man, Mummy, and Frankenstein's monster never looked better. And Duncan Regehr is the best Dracula ever. Sorry Lugosi, Lee, Langella, Oldman, and I'm sure Luke Evans, you're the sad shadow of Regehr's Prince of Darkness. His look is the perfect iconographic image one imagines when they hear the name Dracula. He's unapologetically evil, hellbent on world domination, and a ruthless killer. Holocaust survivor? Children? Police? A tree house? Anything is fair game.

I'm also a big fan of Tom Noonan's Frankenstein's monster. His portrayal of the character, and the relationship he builds with the children feels so genuine, and elicits more empathy for a monster than ever before.

I could really go on and on about how much I love this movie. I would like to give a shout out to Alamo Drafthouse for screening the film tonight. This was honestly the last film I ever expected to be able to view in theaters, and it was amazing. I'm sure all the other 30-something-year-old guys that were there would agree with me.

Final Viewed List
#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)
#02 - Annabelle (2014)
#03 - Frankenhooker (1990)
#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)
#05 - Phantoms (1998)
#06 - Clownhouse (1989)
#07 - White Zombie (1932)
#08 - The Possession (2012)
#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)
#10 - Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

inm8num2

#9 - The Devils (1971)
MV5BOTY2NzE5OTAzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcwMTEyMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Wow, excellent movie. Disturbing and sometimes over-the-top but not exploitative account of corruption in religious institutions and societal breakdowns in the face of witch hunts and hysteria. Riveting performances by Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave.

Movie #9: Let The Right One In.

Not strictly horror in terms of being scary but holy shit is that movie ever great. I just finished it and could sit through the near two hours again right now if I didn't have other things to do tonight.

My only question now, is the US version of the film worth seeing after seeing the Swedish version? Reviews for it seem pretty good but I am worried that I've now set myself up for disappointment no matter how good a take it is.

big ander

#7: The Blob (1958)
"You made us waste our 80 cents, now what gives?"

The Blob is 80% first act material, kids hanging out and cops refusing to listen to them. It's guided at least: the point that a strong community cooperates across generational lines is persuasive and homey. And it's most certainly a visual and tonal template for all b-horror that came after. Brightly lit faces among vividly hued flattened environments, a sense of camaraderie interrupted by rivalries and grudges, panic dotted with genuine hilarity (the old man not knowing whether to wear his bomb gear or volunteer firefighter uniform is a perfect moment). While the film is mostly genial, a grave moment near the end between Steve and Jane recasts their relationship. thinking back, their interaction is much more sincere than the surface of the rest of the film betrays.

this is bothering me so I'm just going to write it down: Jane changes clothes during the night, like she goes home to fake going to bed in a yellow dress and sneaks out in a very very neat white blouse and lavender headband and frilly skirt. it's great.

"...as long as the Arctic stays cold."

#1 White Zombie (10/1)
#2 Strange Circus (10/2)
#3 Night of the Creeps (10/3)
#4 Event Horizon (10/5)
#5 Black Sabbath (10/6)
#6 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (10/7)

Not strictly horror in terms of being scary but holy shit is that movie ever great. I just finished it and could sit through the near two hours again right now if I didn't have other things to do tonight.

My only question now, is the US version of the film worth seeing after seeing the Swedish version? Reviews for it seem pretty good but I am worried that I've now set myself up for disappointment no matter how good a take it is.

If Let Me In was the only version that existed it would be a pretty good movie and definitely worth watching. But having seen the vastly superior original there's no point watching it. I saw it after seeing the original and wished I hadn't bothered.

Kuroyume

Banned

It's inferior in pretty much every way. There may have been one good scene that was added or done differently but I can't recall. It's not a terrible film. I think it's worth it if you enjoyed the original because you may still enjoy it somewhat.

Night of the Demons (Shout Blu) so I've never seen this whole never before but I do remember sleeping over at a friends house and seeing the lipstick scene. This movie was so so for me. I think there was too much of the run around at the end and they needed a different zombie voice. There's some great dialogue throughout though and I laughed quite a bit.

1. Aaah! Zombies!! (Hulu) decent
2. Candyman (Crackle) good
3. Silent Night, Zombie Night (Hulu) forgettable, not worth your time
4. White Zombie (Hulu) didn't get into it
5. The Blob (1958) (Hulu) good
6. Carrie (2013) (Amazon) bad
7. Student Bodies (Amazon) bad
8. The Battery (Hulu) great
9. Phantoms (Amazon) surprisingly good, Ben Affleck is the bomb in it
10. Stalled (Amazon) great
11. Night of the Demons

Steamlord

#12 - The Bride of Frankenstein

I'm kind of ashamed I haven't watched this before. It's very different from the original, but it's a lot of fun in its own way.

#13 - Tenebre

Tenebre a return to Argento's giallo roots, but it also serves as sort of a self-aware send-up of the genre. I enjoy Argento's supernatural horror films more, but this one was really good, and had a nice series of twists at the end.

#14 - Halloween II

Know what a nice slow burn thriller like Halloween needs? Three times as many deaths! All of them gorier and more "creative!" Even dumber characters! Explosions! Presenting HALLOWEEN 2: HALLOWEEN HARDER. Seriously though, they basically removed everything good about the original - and I'm not even the biggest fan of that one. Gone is the smart pacing, the extended stalking sequence to build the tension to a fever pitch - no, let's get the killing started right away. Furthermore, Michael Myers is a totally incompetent idiot in this one; and to compensate for that unfortunate fact, his victims are somehow even dumber than he is. All he has to do is step into a doorway and nobody sees him. Is he invisible? He might as well be, because everybody around him is dumber than a rock. Except Laurie, that is, who, while dumb, is at least a notch or two above ol' Michael. Still, that doesn't stop her from doing such stupid things as dropping weapons (apparently she didn't learn anything from the first movie), staying in a corner while Michael is blinded and she could easily get around him, banging fruitlessly on locked doors as Michael approaches when she could easily limp away from Michael's snail-paced walk, etc. Oh, about that, Mike. That whole super slow and quiet thing works when your victim doesn't know you're there, but if they're running from you, you might want to pick up the pace a little. I know the slow unfazed thing is cool and spooky, but you just look silly when you're desperately grasping at a girl's legs as she escapes through a window because you took three minutes to walk across a room. Add to that a cast of annoying, unsympathetic characters and a lame twist that is pointlessly kept hidden until the plot needs it to be revealed, and you have a pretty terrible movie. I understand this sort of thing is the norm for horror sequels, but it was still a bit disappointing. Does this sort of campy, sloppily executed slasher flick have its place? Sure. They can even be fun. But as a sequel to a groundbreaking and restrained film like Halloween, this falls disastrously short.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I laughed out loud when Jimmy slipped on the blood. So I guess it's got that going for it.

#1 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#2 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#3 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#4 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#5 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#6 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#7 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#8 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)

This film is loosely based on The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether, a dark comedy short story by Edgar Allan Poe.

They are a couple disturbing scenes, but also a lot of silly ones too. I don't think their juxtaposition works so well. Still, it's visually interesting, at times reminiscent of Jodorowsky movies (BTW, I learned on Rotten Tomatoes and Wikipedia that the director, Juan López Moctezuma, collaborated with him on other films, such as El Topo).

Note that this movie is in the public domain.

#9 Sinister (2012) (October 9)

It was OK I guess.

When a movie forces me to crank up the volume during dialogs, I just know it's going to rely on jump scares. Ugh.

"Ancient demon posseses children, forces them to kill their families and feeds upon their souls"
sounds great and frightening in theory, but it didn't work that well in practice here.

What the... Professor Jonas is Vincent D'Onofrio? How did I not recognize him!?
Anyway, Professor Jonas explains so much during his short intervention that there is very little mystery left. I always find this kind of sad in horror movies.

I was going to make a thread, but then I thought it wasn't really thread worthy. Also, I'm not a big fan of them myself, but I figured some other horror fans might be interested.

Amazon has a complete Blu-ray collection of the Saw movies for $18.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Saw-Complete-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00MFCPVO6/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-38&qid=1412939048

Looks like Amazon has some other deals too with horror movies.

The complete Blu-ray collection of A Nightmare on Elm Street is only $23.99

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The customer reviews of that Saw collection are scary. Sounds like they really butchered those movies.

WoodWERD

#11 - The Sacrament (Netflix)

Ti West movies have been hit or miss for me, and this was a miss. Bothered me even more seeing all the faces from You're Next (wasn't a fan of that one either). The only unsettling part of the movie for me was the
sister injecting her brother and waiting for him to die. Those gasps :/

/just realized I'm supposed to keep a tally:

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament

My list is looking pretty sad so far haha...limited to NF but I guess I'll check out Hulu and YT and maybe some Chinese sites.

Top Bottom