• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ridley327

Sharknado 2: The Second One was a lot of genuine fun.

Poor Vivica A. Fox, though. Did not expect to see her go out like that, but when it's true love, it's true love.

I saw a movie today that could qualify for an entry here, but I'd rather not spoil which one. If you are interested, you can read which one it is in the Movies You've Seen Recently thread, which will be brief and spoiler-free, but a lot of the fun is never knowing what you've gotten yourself into with it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada): 3.5/5 A classic movie. The movie has a good mix of creepiness/humor. Not really all that scary though.
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK): 4/5 I haven't seen this movie in ages. This is one of the best horror spoofs movies. I was laughing the whole way through. They especially nailed the Dewy spoof. And the line about them
canceling The Wayans Bros show was fantastic.
The movie puts all of the slasher cliches into the mix and has fun with it. Well worth the watch.

big ander

#8 The Fly (1958)

Its focus is trained on the least interesting aspects of the doomed experiment, it's a structural mess...and yet the core of the horrific made unwieldy flesh remains. Cronenberg would allow it to blossom, but this gets points for origination, having Price and looking beautiful/using horizontal space well via CinemaScope.

#1 White Zombie (10/1)
#2 Strange Circus (10/2)
#3 Night of the Creeps (10/3)
#4 Event Horizon (10/5)
#5 Black Sabbath (10/6)
#6 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (10/7)
#7 The Blob (1958)

inm8num2

#11 - Peur(s) du noir (2007)
432073.jpg

Very enjoyable anthology film. It's not too heavy on horror or scares, but the atmosphere and animation styles are quite well done.

1) Annabelle (Theater)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada): 3.5/5 A classic movie. The movie has a good mix of creepiness/humor. Not really all that scary though.
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK): 4/5 I haven't seen this movie in ages. This is one of the best horror spoofs movies. I was laughing the whole way through. They especially nailed the Dewy spoof. And the line about them
canceling The Wayans Bros show was fantastic.
The movie puts all of the slasher cliches into the mix and has fun with it. Well worth the watch.

The ironic thing is, that Scream was already a spoof on horror movies, so that makes Scary Movie a spoofs a spoof. Lol

gabbo

October 11th Movie #11 - Life Force
So Tobe Hooper does space vampires in Escape From New York by way of London.
Not scary, and a bit all over the place thematically - the previous sentence is no joke, the 2nd half of the movie is very Escape from New York, but in London, and with zombie vampire things instead of criminals and no Kurt Russell. Started out as a possible sci-fi horror film and becomes an action movie with body hopping vamps. Entertaining, decently acted, interest cinematography and good effects (the 'victim' effects and miniatures anyway) and Mathilda May is very attractive. Too bad she isn`t given much to do besides `Be naked and look good`.

The ending was a let down, even with London being reduced to rubble/minutes from being nuked. Overall, I`d say neutral. Can`t recommend, wouldn`t stop someone from seeing it either.

It's been a bit of a let down in terms of 'horror' so far. No scares in sight, but then I've only seen Ravenous before so I really didn't know what to expect from the other 30 going in, even if I've enjoyed most of them from a pure entertainment level (except Grave Encounters, it`s just shit).

Movie #11: Brand Upon the Brain.

I really should keep trusting my friends when they just handing me a DVD and tell me to put something on my list. It is turning out pretty well. Guy Maddin really goes in on the B&W, silent film aesthetic and the actors he is working with in help sell it perfectly. Some good twists and turns but outside of some decent body horror it is stretching it to call it a horror film. Still enjoyed it even if I thought that it is a tad on the long side for what it is. Doesn't feel like it would be too out of place if you told me it was adapted from some late 1800s, early 1900s short story, which I am all about.

I love me some Isabella Rossellini as the narrator.

Fox Mulder

Movie #13 - The Blob (1988) - TiVo

Some folks on GAF recommended this film and to them, thank-you. Nothing scary, but some nice goopy gore and situations throughout the film coupled with some of that 80s film magic made this film great and fun to watch. Thumbs up.

that's on my list, just waiting for the bluray in the mail. Watched the 1958 one the other day and still humming the theme.

Ridley327

The ironic thing is, that Scream was already a spoof on horror movies, so that makes Scary Movie a spoofs a spoof. Lol

Here's where the rabbit hole goes much deeper: the original title of Scream was Scary Movie.

I'll have my review for Dead Ringers up at some point tomorrow. If you've ever seen it, it's an awful lot to digest.

GhaleonEB

that's on my list, just waiting for the bluray in the mail. Watched the 1958 one the other day and still humming the theme.

I found the remake to be quite a lot of fun, I watched it for the marathon a few years ago. I'll probably toss it onto next year's list. It's one of the better horror remakes.

9. Stephen King's Children of the Corn

People complain that it's dated, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. There's constant tension, always something to keep watching for. The cult and children are creepy, and that says something about the atmosphere and acting. It raises questions that aren't answered, and probably shouldn't be. Sure, the special effects were poor, but fortunately, this wasn't a special effects powerhouse. It's also one of those movies that changes the way I look at things, like how Doctor Who changed the way I look at gas masks.

Wait, what's this about 8 sequels?

Steamlord

#17 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

That was surprisingly good after the bafflingly weird first sequel. It actually took the story in a logical direction and introduced interesting new concepts. The dream logic, the sets, the practical effects, the characters and their relationships, all pretty much perfect. There were only a couple of moments that didn't age too well
(mostly the knife fight and the wizard thing, though the needle bit was good)
, but overall I liked it about as much as the first film.

I know I'm super late to the party but thought I'd share an entry.

Demons (1985)
Dir. Lamberto Bava

51SR9TVW9EL.jpg

Can't believe I haven't seen this before. Great gore effects, classic giallo red/blue/green lighting motifs throughout, and some very trippy editing especially during
the screening of the movie before people start turning into "zombies"
. Killer soundtrack too, lots of great metal and hard rock picks from the 80s. It's got that great balance of humor and horror with adventure elements. Seriously haven't enjoyed a zombie movie this much since Shaun of the Dead. Heck I'd put it up there with some of the original Romero movies in terms of overall execution. 9/10

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead
4. Gingersnaps
5. The fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play
10. Childs Play 2
11. Childs Play 3
12. Monkey Shines
13. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
14. Creature from the Black Lagoon 3d
15. Poltergeist 2
16. Halloween (remake)
17. Halloween 2 ( remake)
18. Night of the creeps

Watched both Rob Zombie Halloween movies and night of the creeps today. The first Halloween movie started as a train wreck, there was no need to go that deep into the backstory. The movie got better as it went along, but no where near the quality of the original. Halloween 2 remake is just garbage, no redeeming qualities what so ever.
Night of the creeps- now this is a fun horror movie. Full of cheesy one liners, gore, and fun death scenes, this one comes highly recommend to any horror fan.

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)

This part of avengers23's review sums up my opinion:
I hate to invoke TVTropes, but the only way this movie's made sense to me is if I describe it as a Gambit Pile-up. Two characters rely on every element of their plan to go exactly the way they had planned in order for them to achieve their goals, while another character has anticipated every step of their plans and has a counter-plan in place.
If not for the subtle malevolence in Vincent Price's performance, I don't think this film would have worked at all.
All in all, it was entertaining, and while I'm not too satisfied with how it ended, Vincent Price's performance and the general atmosphere made it well worth watching

Note that this movie is in the public domain.

Film 13 – Inside (DVD)

Enjoy your last peaceful night.

8chDnzS.png

An unscheduled rewatch, but I’m not complaining because this film is incredible. The story of a woman seeking to steal an unborn child by cutting it from the womb of it’s heavily pregnant mother, Inside is intense, gory as hell and genuinely horrifying. Knowing that violent foetal abduction is a real thing, and has been recorded on a number of occasions, only serves to heighten the film’s disturbing nature.

Directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo do a fantastic job, but what really elevates the movie are the two central performances. I feel almost sorry for Alysson Paradis, who plays the young mother, because it must be depressing to be this good in a movie, and yet still not be the best thing in it. That accolade goes to Beatrice Dalle as her nemesis. Dalle’s performance as a woman who will stop at nothing to make the baby her own is mesmerising and spectacular, and one of my all time favourites.

Verdict: The least festive Christmas movie in history, this is a relentless, blood-drenched masterpiece. Modern French horror at its very best.

Marginally relevant rant/PSA: I was supposed to be watching the directors’ follow up to Inside, Livid, today. However, Amazon’s streaming version of that movie has no voicetrack. Sound effects and music are fine, but the actors are silent. I persevered for about ten minutes, because the film’s in French and I needed subtitles anyway. Unfortunately it doesn’t work. It’s not just the words, it’s the way the actors say them. You need both to get the full effect. People have been complaining about the situation in the Amazon reviews for months, but nothing’s been done. It’s a shame, because I was really looking to it. Hopefully I’ll be able to get hold of the DVD before the month’s out.

Snake

Night 8

sUCgS9M.png

A re-appraised classic, and for good reason, but I guess it was a bit overhyped. Just don't go in with the mindset that this is going to feel like a controversial film.
6.9/10

MKda3Qa.png

I can't say I wasn't warned.

Most reviews I had read said that Insidious: Chapter 2 was a step down from the original. And it was. A genuine disappointment. Despite an increase in intentional comedy (which is fine), there is a staggering amount of unintentionally laughable material in this film. So many poor decisions, so many missed opportunities. Maybe it has an audience but I wasn't part of it.
4/10

Night 9

LhomirT.png

[Rewatch]
I enjoy the Paranormal Activity movies and I'm not afraid to admit it. When watched properly [alone in the dark, late at night], they are some of the few modern movies that can actually scare me on a sustained basis. PA2 is probably the least tense of the series, but it's still entertaining in its own right.
6.4/10

gc3UCED.png

[Rewatch]
PA3 is probably my favorite of the series. A lot of that is nostalgia. The time period and location remind me so much of my childhood, so it taps directly into my own vulnerabilities. Almost all of the PA films feel like they were made for my own horror sensibilities––especially the way they use closet spaces––but this one is just uncanny.

Bonus: the formula for the last act is obviously good since that they just kept using it!

Night 10

SZ6EYqL.png

[Rewatch]
PA4 has a bad rap, based on standard anti-paranormal activity bias but also because of some very laughable product placement throughout. No defense for the product placement, but I will say that it's so bad it's almost good. Overall it's the weakest of the PA series but still manages to entertain.
5.7/10

ywNzJVy.png

I saw a lot of criticism for The Marked Ones when it came out. But outside of a few couple iffy effect shots, this is as solid as any entry in the Paranormal Activity series. Maybe even one of the scariest. The slight switch-up in the setting is a welcome change of pace, but it really isn't as different as some have made it out to be. Watching the PA films together will definitely make you tired of parts of the formula being repeated, but you also get a deeper appreciation of the more subtle references and callbacks. My nerves were shot by the end of this film.
6.9/10

Night 11

Nt8eSiE.png

A found footage horror movie that came fairly highly recommended. And I can see why, but it wasn't a very rewarding experience. The Den uses standard found footage techniques well, and, matched with a bit of online paranoia, it certainly has its fair share of scares. What it doesn't have is anything that will leave you satisfied by the time it's over. You're going to be expecting twists or answers that never come. A bit trying to get through despite the short run time.
5.6/10

obin_gam

#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)

This part of avengers23's review sums up my opinion:

All in all, it was entertaining, and while I'm not too satisfied with how it ended, Vincent Price's performance and the general atmosphere made it well worth watching.

I would also recommend watching this gem with the Rifftrax commentary. It makes it a completely different movie and it's hilarious :D

MattyH

forgot to post last night (was with a friend) but #11 Cut (2000) a curious aussie slasher which has kylie minogue for all of ten minutes and molly ringwald nothing too special but watchable

cacildo

I still find it funny that horror movies can release a new sequel every year.

I was under the impression this was something from the 80s, with friday the 13th and freddy kruguer (and Police Academy). But looking at the Paranormal Activity sequels and its release dates...

WoodWERD

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown

13. The Serpent and the Rainbow (Netflix) - This was a pretty creepy Wes Craven flick. Featuring Bill Pullman the anthropologist getting sent to Haiti to find a breakthrough medicine, he gets pulled into the voodoo culture and goes through a lot of trippy shit. I'd recommend it.

matt360

October 7
Escape From Tomorrow

Xip3X2F.jpg

What a strange movie. It's been a few days now since I watched it, but it's still sitting pretty heavy. Not scary at all, but there is something kind of haunting about it. I would definitely recommend it to people. Not because it's a great movie, because it isn't, but because it's really unique and bizarre. Not to mention I grew up near Disney and have been there more times than I can count. So I guess I can say that I liked this movie while recognizing that it isn't a good movie. Not in the way that a lot of horror is so-bad-it's-good, but something in its own category.

October 8
A Nightmare On Elm Street

kG6BhkW.jpg

Not much needs to be said. I hadn't seen it in years and thought I'd give it a rewatch. Great movie. Great pacing. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Now, not so much, but it is such a fun movie to watch.

October 9
A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

KDA5QvU.png

Yup, that's gay all right. I guess the last time I watched it I was too young to see any of that stuff, but now it's right there, clear as day. I watched the Netflix Never Sleep Again which talked at some length about all of the homoerotic symbolism and how nobody caught on at the time, which I find kinda hard to believe. Or were times really so different back then? It's interesting, either way. That aside, the movie does a couple interesting things, namely, letting Freddy use a human avatar to do his bidding. That's about it. The rest didn't make any sense, and the pool party scene is maybe my least favorite part of any Nightmare movie.

October 10
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors

XDAi0zS.jpg

This one was awesome. Patricia Arquette, a young Morpheus, Heather Langenkamp returns. You've got the Freddy-worm, tendons, needles, TVs, and lots of other classic kills and classic lines from this one. The kids all work really well together, and it all just comes together nicely. Probably my favorite Nightmare film after the original. Nothing surprising here.

Ocboter 11
Wes Craven's New Nightmare

wISIahu.jpg

First time viewing. I had no idea how meta this movie was. It almost feels like it belongs in the same universe as Scream. It was well made and well acted, aside from the kid, but I feel like the meta gimmick kind ruined it. It was probably a very original thing to do at the time, but it almost retroactively ruins the rest of the entire series. And Freddy's makeup looks absolutely terrible in this one. He's not even remotely scary, being stripped of any personality. I didn't care for it, but it was nice to see Heather Langenkamp again. I really like her.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada): 4/5 While I think the first Saw is the best in the series, the sequel comes really close to taking the crown. It does, however, have the best "game." The characters are all solid, never really annoying. The games they are put through are gory and crazy as the first. The "twist" isn't as great as the first one, but it is still good. Watch it if you enjoyed the first one.

Divius

DOLdzLR.jpg

#07 - ABCs of Death 2
I can be quite short about this; as with the first ABCs of Death there are some shorts that work, some that don't. Most of them don't. There are some highlights and there is some fun to be had, but most of the shorts are quite underwhelming. 4/10

El Topo

Well, a bit late to start with this I guess, but anyway.

#01 - The Loved Ones
Pretty decent Australian movie. Great cast, interesting (albeit disturbing) premise, an overall well-crafted movie. I was sure I wouldn't like it, but was pleasantly surprised. If I had to rate it, 7.5/10.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada): 3.5/5 For some reason, I remember this being worse than it was (or maybe I'm thinking it was the fourth film). The games the people are put through will make you want to turn your head.
like the guy who ran over the guy's kid. Or even the beginning when Matthew is trying to break off his foot.
It is a solid entry in the series, but not as good as the first two. I think this is the film that starts trying to be too clever and connect everything and everyone in some way. Still worth the watch if you are a fan.

matt360

October 12
Night of the Creeps

8HDGOMZ.jpg

First time viewing. This was really good! A lot of dialogue that would actually hold up pretty well today. A lot of great one-liners from Tom Atkins. I loved him in Halloween 3, but I liked him more in Creeps. He gets to ham it up a bit more, and his lines are a lot better. The effects were decent, and the slugs actually looked pretty good. Their movement, I mean. Kinda like an 80s version of Slither. And after Fright Night, it's nice to see an 80s horror with protagonists I didn't hate.

October 12
Night of the Creeps

8HDGOMZ.jpg

First time viewing. This was really good! A lot of dialogue that would actually hold up pretty well today. A lot of great one-liners from Tom Atkins. I loved him in Halloween 3, but I liked him more in Creeps. He gets to ham it up a bit more, and his lines are a lot better. The effects were decent, and the slugs actually looked pretty good. Their movement, I mean. Kinda like an 80s version of Slither. And after Fright Night, it's nice to see an 80s horror with protagonists I didn't hate.
Detective Cameron: Thrill me!
Sergeant Raimi: Detective Cameron?
Detective Cameron: No! Bozo the Clown!

Oct. 11

Taste_the_blood_of_dracula.jpg

This is one of the best Hammer Dracula movies imo, shifting as it does from the more staid "good vs. evil" archetype of the earlier films to take on the hypocrisy of Victorian society head-on. In it, three respectable gentlemen of privilege dabble in the occult out of boredom, resulting in Dracula's resurrection. The Prince of Darkness then proceeds to avenge himself on the families of these gentlemen for murdering his servant. The script is coherent and the performances universally quite good, but there's nary a likeable character amongst the three upper-class families victimized by the Count. Great direction and solid score, too. The conclusion sees Dracula destroyed not by a strong-willed champion of right, but by the residual holy power of a long abandoned church...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (Dracula week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)

Film 12: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)
Method of Viewing: iTunes Rental
Bonus Viewing: The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror "Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores".

aAY9jKl.jpg

As a loyal participate in this yearly event, I am quite open to following the rules about trying to watch horror films that I've haven't seen and I know there's a risk into watching a bad movie. So I am comfortable with including this clunker on my list for 2014. Holy shit this is a bad movie. It's total B-movie camp and does not live up to what ever cult status it has. I chose this movie based on the Simpsons parody in their Halloween episode from season 7.

UPDATED:

Film 13: The Shining (1980)
Method of Viewing: Stellar Bluray Presentation
Bonus Viewing: The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror "The Shinning".

jMRKWqu.jpg

How can I watch the movies that were parodied by the Simpsons and not include The Shining. Chock this one up on my all time favorites list. However, I was almost hesitant to watch it since I'm somewhat desensitized to it. I'm glad I did because there's still such a mystery behind this film and somehow I always find something new that raises more questions. Love it or hate it this is a horror classic and should be watched over and over. Next couple of films will be first-timers for me.

obin_gam

#12. Nosferatu
nc7lvuR.jpg

The bar was set already in ´22. Sure, Kinksi also did a great job in the part, but Schreck comes the closest an actor has ever come to being a real movie monster.

haikira

I really should have made a watching order list in advance, because now I'm getting really indecisive picking what to watch next.

Below is what I've got to hand, which I'm not specifically saving to watch with others. I'm also waiting for some movies to arrive, like Ravenous, or for Oculus to release on disc, which is the 20th here in the UK, I think.

Anyone want to jump in and pick one for me? I've never watch any of the below. I'm saving my all time favorites, like Halloween,The Thing and some of Nightmare on Elm Street films for the very end.

The House of the Devil
Re-Animator
Dead Silence
The Bay
Insidious 2
Child's Play 3
Paranormal Activity 2
The Eye
Deadly Blessing
The Eye (2002)

Film 14 – Sleep Tight (DVD)

Thanks for the stew.

jqKAJmN.png

Save for one rather gruesome scene, this Spanish movie is more of an old-fashioned, almost Hitchcockian thriller than a horror movie. Directed by Jaume Balaguero of REC fame, Sleep Tight tells the story of an apartment concierge who believes that he is constitutionally incapable of happiness. Forever on the brink of suicide, his only relief comes from making those around him as unhappy as he is. His main target is Clara, a young, successful and relentlessly cheerful resident, and he goes to great lengths to make her miserable while all the time pretending at friendship.

Despite being an obviously loathsome individual, I still found myself sympathising with the concierge a surprising amount in the early stages of the movie, thanks mainly to Luis Tosar’s excellent, understated performance. That sympathy doesn’t last much past the midway point however, as you come to learn just how much of weirdo he really is. Marta Etura is also really good as the object of his attention, as is Iris Almeida in the role of Ursula, a schoolgirl who gets in to trouble trying to profit from her discovery of the concierge’s creepy secrets.

Verdict: Tense, sinister and very entertaining. I’m checking under the bed tonight.

Have to post my last 2 days but I just finished Found and I think I´m going to need a few hours to recover from it. That was extremely dark...

Divius

About halfway through (write ups are coming!) and my 31 Days of Horror 2014 has been somewhat disappointing so far. Have not discovered any real gems yet and most viewings have been mediocre at best, which isn't very motivational. Really hoping for the second half to pick up. :D

El Topo

#02 - The Thompsons
Boring, bland, stupid, completely unnecessary sequel to The Hamiltons. Bad, but unfortunately not entertaining. Felt as if none of the actors wanted to be there, which is understandable. Did I mention that the movie kinda downplays rape? Do not trust Wikipedia, avoid at all costs, 2/10.

Ridley327

WEEK TWO (Oct 11): MEDICAL ISSUES

It's 1986, and David Cronenberg was finally on top of the world, thanks to The Fly. That film was a rare triple threat: it was a remake that vastly improved upon the original, it sacrificed none of the artistic pursuits that Cronenberg was known for, ensuring strong critical acclaim, and it was a crowd-pleasing blockbuster with the grosses to prove it. That a film that featured, among other things, Geena Davis giving birth to a maggot would wind up impressing everyone outside of the 20 people who actually saw Videodrome in a theater is nothing short of impossible, but that's the 80s for you. Naturally, Cronenberg followed The Fly with a film that's nothing like The Fly at all, and while that doesn't necessarily have to bad news for people new to Cronenberg thanks to that film, a film about twin gynecologists losing their sense of individuality that was light on the gore and heavy on the bleakness was not, as they say, good for repeat business.

I imagine that for even fans of Cronenberg's work up to that point, Dead Ringers was a really tough one to figure out, as it bore few easy comparisons to his previous films. Sure, it was shot in Ontario, like the rest of them, Howard Shore brought his considerable talents as a composer yet again, and it definitely dealt with the horror of the body, but this felt very different this time around. Gone were the genre elements that Cronenberg had so frequently mutated to his own purposes, and in their place laid an intense character study that felt more violent and more uncompromising than anything that came before. No one should go into Dead Ringers with the expectation that they'll enjoy themselves, because there's no way you will.

What Dead Ringers completely lacks for entertainment value, it more than makes up for in intellectual content, and for my money, it's Cronenberg's richest film in that regard. A film that tackles themes of identity, how we relate to other human beings, emotional dependency, and other aspects of the human experience that we tend to freeze up on are explored at great lengths throughout this film, through the rather unique lens of what all of that means to two people that go to great lengths to appear as one entity. It's the kind of film where every line of dialogue is so loaded with double- and triple-meanings that it's a miracle that it never feels that obvious when a line like "I'm one of the Mantle twins" isn't just a mere declarative statement.

Perhaps the one thing that surprises me the most is that I don't think I'd be able to single out one element of the film as being more remarkable than another. I could go on and on about how wonderful Jeremy Irons is in both roles, or how Genevieve Bujold miraculously matches Irons' work, or how effortless Cronenberg's direction appears to be, or about a dozen or so more exemplary elements, but the most impressive thing of all is how integral and thoughtful every element of the film turns out to be. As I've read it, Cronenberg had been trying to get this film made since around the same time when he finally broke through to the mainstream (somewhat) with Scanners, but the remarkable amount of thought and care put into every frame of the film makes it seem like it had been in the works for twice as long. It's a highlight even for a career that's not lacking for them.

Sanity check: Even as I grew fearful of what would happen afterward after reaching the lowest of lows with Anatomy, the movies afterward propelled themselves so far away from that film that I'm safe to say I've completely forgotten about watching it. That's some great news there!

We're going into quite a wild week here with the focus on female-fronted horror films, and while it remains to be seen if one of the films I had posted about will actually be available to me in time, it always pays to be prepared for such events. Speaking of:

Next film: May was on my list for last year, but it was bumped due to a scheduling error that I didn't even realize until I was already well into the marathon. I think I owe it to myself to fix this once and for all.

Shivers (1975) aka Orgy of the Blood Parasites, The Parasite Murders, They Came from Within

Dir. David Cronenberg

large_r5fQsokhzBA7IqDW9Z3rLe4bOJr.jpg

I'd seen bits and pieces before but couldn't get into it at the time, was able to strap in last night and had a blast. This might be my favorite Cronenberg movie next to Videodrome now as far as his body horror work goes. The way he communicates space and the layout of the apartment tower complex is very well done, there's a sense that it could go on forever. This adds to the pervading vulnerability the viewer and protagonists experience. It's not necessarily claustrophobic despite many scenes taking place inside domiciles, but there's this uncanny feeling that due to this somewhat nebulous space (the apartment tower) that everything exists in a vacuum. My favorite kind of horror stories are typically ones that focus on a single location or series of environments, and find a way to make the setting as much an important character as the people within it, and Cronenberg does this wonderfully here.

I remember seeing a horror doc that did a great job explaining the overarching themes present in it, namely the parasites that turn people into sex crazed maniacs being a complement to the "apartments of the future" type complexes that were becoming a thing in the 70s when this was filmed. Basically, the consumerist and urban hive mind complexes people were becoming a part of being synonymous with the "social disease" that was the parasites in the movie.

It's low budget as all get out but Cronenberg manages to squeeze it for all it's worth and create something that manages to be spooky while fostering an excellent atmosphere even if some of the societal commentary aspects are a bit on the nose. Plus ya know boob shots and stuff. 8/10

edit: Forgot to mention this is currently on US Netflix instant.

Ridley327

It's weird how the ending of Shivers goes from "this isn't going to end well for anyone" to "NO ONE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY EVER WANTED TO SEE THIS WHERE IS MY LOBOTOMY" so quickly.

Ending spoilers:
I'm never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to shake that image of the kids at the end. I'd rather they were graphically dead than what does actually happen to them.

Dead Ringers snip

Just rewatched this the other week, I think it's his best film next to Spider. Body horror plays a part but it's fairly minor at least in the gross out aspect. Very unnerving film, the way he communicates the Mantle's bonds is something I haven't seen explored in anything else in quite the same way. Watching
Beverly deteriorate, Elliott say to Claire (paraphrasing) "I think you might be the destruction of us", and that final scene with Bev repeating "Elliott" over and over again after disembowling him is some of the most disturbing cinema I've ever watched.
Probably the best horror movie I've seen all year even though it was a rewatch. So good.

It's weird how the ending of Shivers goes from "this isn't going to end well for anyone" to "NO ONE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY EVER WANTED TO SEE THIS WHERE IS MY LOBOTOMY" so quickly.

Ending spoilers:
I'm never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to shake that image of the kids at the end. I'd rather they were graphically dead than what does actually happen to them.

Yup, that shot with
the father in the apartment saying to the doctor "isn't my daughter beautiful" before moving in to kiss her after he leaves. I also like how they all get into their cars at the end like "let's all go on a rapeathon outing together!"
*shudders

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico): This is a Spanish movie. The English title is called "Witching & Bitching." Although, I don't know how they got that title. I picked this movie randomly while browsing the horror section. It starts off as a heist movie, then things quickly fall apart for the crew. As they run into a town filled with witches.

The movie was a little hard for me to follow since my Spanish isn't that good (and no subtitles). The film isn't strictly a horror movie. It has a good mix of action, horror elements and especially humor. It is a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden): A good horror movie. Lots of scares and the story is half-way decent. My biggest gripe is the main actress acting. Pretty bad in some spots, almost laughable in the rest.

#02 - The Thompsons
Boring, bland, stupid, completely unnecessary sequel to The Hamiltons. Bad, but unfortunately not entertaining. Felt as if none of the actors wanted to be there, which is understandable. Did I mention that the movie kinda downplays rape? Do not trust Wikipedia, avoid at all costs, 2/10.

SimpsonsTitleThompsons.png

Film 13: Demon Seed (1977)
Method of Viewing: DVD
Bonus Viewing: The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment "Ultrahouse 3000".

fegDSwj.jpg

Last movie of the day, is an oddball flick only loosely parodied by The Simpsons. This film based on a Dean Koontz novel, has the Proteus 4, a super computer installed in the home of Susan played by Julie Christie. The Proteus 4 was developed by scientists who are not prepared to deal with the computer's ability to adapt. What ensues is similar to that of HAL from 2001, but this time, the computer wants a child and Susan to be the carrier. It's descent flick and I modest recommend it.

Top Bottom