• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

1oxpoqB.jpg

Series premiere: October 24, 2014
Constantine is an NBC supernatural drama based on the long running Hellblazer comic book series published by DC Comics. The titular character is an occult detective, streetwise magician, exorcist and most of all a brilliant con man, who’s trying to make up for his past sins, some of which led to his soul being damned to hell. He travels through United States, constantly getting into trouble, giving supernatural terrors something to fear and sooner or later screwing most of the poor people who were foolish enough to put their faith in him.

Unlike the Keanu Reeves movie from 2005, the TV show's aim is to be faithful to source material as much as it’s possible on network TV. Which means John will be charming asshole that mostly outsmarts his enemies instead of killing them with a cross shotgun. This Constantine is also blonde, from UK and has a sense of humor. The show won’t shy away from it’s comic books roots and we already know about plenty of stuff taken straight from the source material that will be in pilot and upcoming episodes, including appearances of other characters from occult side of DC.

The only thing they can’t do is show him as a chain smoker because of some ridiculous broadcast standards, but they aim to go around this problem by having him put out the cigs, start fire with a lighter etc. It seems Hannibal Lecter cutting legs into delectable chunks of edible meat is ok, but Constantine inhaling a smoke is a big no-no ;)

MAIN CAST
ToeucX5.jpg

Matt Ryan as John Constantine
"The greatest con man in the world"

vDKFtLL.jpg

Charles Halford as Chas
Constantine's oldest living friend. He was able to claim that title by being for some reason really hard to kill, which allowed him to avoid the fate of most of John’s friends.

H1zs576.jpg

Anglica Celaya as Zed
An artist with an intuitive nature and heightened senses that allows her to be connected to supernatural side of the world. She will be the main female character for the series.

ADUJyG9.jpg

Harold Perrineau as Manny
Morally ambiguous guardian angel that might hold the key to saving Constantine’s soul, but he won’t do it for free.

THE STAFF
Constantine was developed with help of David Goyer, but the main day to day showrunner will be the other co-creator - Daniel Cerone, who’s was one of the main creative forces behind Dexter. But before you run away screaming with terror you need to know Cerone left that show after second season, so he was responsible for the it when it was one of the very best things on the air and he had nothing to do with the abomination Dexter ended up being in it's later seasons.

It's also worth mentioning that the music for Constantine series will be composed by based Bear McCreary and judging by the main theme we’re in for one hell of a ride.

SPOILER POLICY
We're going to be using standard procedure for TV shows here at GAF. Everything that has aired is free game. Everything else, including promos, rumors and press releases for upcoming episodes will considered spoilers and needs to be put into spoilers tag.
Also…the pilot has leaked some time ago, but not everyone has seen it. If you want to discuss it’s contents before the premiere then also put it into spoilers please.

PROMOS
Our Souls to Keep
When Hell Breaks Loose
The Journey Begins October 24
Seeking Redemption
First Look at the Premiere
Trust
Official Trailer (very spoilerish)

THE CONNECTIONS
DTln6hd.jpg

Constantine is a DC Comics IP, so what is the show relation to everything else with that company’s logo?

Hellblazer– John Constantine debuted in 1985 issue of The Saga of the Swamp Thing as a part of the general DC universe, but he rose to fame when he got his own series called Hellblazer, which effectively evacuated him into separate superheroes-free universe, where went on for 300 glorious issues, making it the longest running comic in Vertigo imprint’s history.
If you want some reading material to go with the show get Hellblazer. Comics don’t much better than this and it’s run is filled with stories from some of the best and most important UK writers in medium's history, like Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Andy Diggle and Mike Carey. It also hugely influential. These days almost every single occult detective story in any medium takes at least some inspiration from Hellblazer. And yes, Supernatural Castiel’s clothes were designed as a homage to Constantine.

Modern Comics – In 2012 DC rebooted their comics and merged Vertigo universe with the general one. As a result Hellblazer ended and we got new young John Constantine that lives in the same world as Batman and Superman. There’s no denying that the new Constantine series isn’t as good as previous one, but if you like the occult stories it’s still pretty damn nice and it’s fun to see John being able to make a fool out of world’s greatest superheroes, Batman included. Most of all, Constantine was also made into a member of Justice League Dark (think JLA that’s dealing with supernatural threats) and that comic is one of the best ones DC publishes these days.

Other TV shows - Constantine won’t be connected to any other DC TV show, not to Arrow/Flash, not to Gotham and unfortunately also not to Lucifer on Fox. That said, NBC stated that they might do a spin-off if Constantine is successful, which would allow the network to have their own mini shared universe, the way CW does.

Movies – Many viewers will know Constantine only from the 2005 movie with Keanu Reeves. A lot of hardcore fans hate it, because it simply wasn’t true to the source material. I think it’s safe to say that years have made people look a lot more fondly on this flick. It’s actually a pretty damn nice movie, just terrible Hellblazer adaptation. The show won’t have much in common with it, but if you like the movie we won’t bite you, as long as you won’t be complaining that Matt Ryan looks nothing like Keanu. ;)

There’s also a question of upcoming movies. The show won’t be connected to all those superhero flicks Warner Bros is making right now. The only possible exception is Justice League Dark movie by Guillermo del Toro. If it gets made, then del Toro said he would be happy to use TV's Constantine in it if it fits into tone he’s aiming for. We could however also end up with two versions of the same character, one for TV and one for movies, the same way Flash will be done.

giphy.gif

Cade

Liked the pilot. Will give this at least a few episodes, though I never finished reading Hellblazer.

Akahige

Interested in this as a comic fan, I'll watch a few episodes and see if it's good. Never did watch that leaked pilot, did they do reshoots for it?

Wiktor

Interested in this as a comic fan, I'll watch a few episodes and see if it's good. Never did watch that leaked pilot, did they do reshoots for it?

Some
Very light spoilers
AFAIK they changed the demon's looks from random dude to evil version of Constantine. Also there will be some small changes at the end that will turn the girl from pilot into just one-off "case of a week" character, instead of female lead she was supposed to be before they decided to replace her with Zed.

Qasiel

I'm a HUGE Constantine/Hellblazer fan, and will defintiely be keeping up with this. I thought the leaked pilot wasn't too bad (although it seem a little fast-paced at times), but now that they're introducing Zed into the mix, I'm really feeling it. I also think Matt Ryan's got bags of potential and could pull off a pretty convincing John Constantine.

All in all, I'm very excited about this. Keanu should make a cameo (he was even acknowledged in the comics).

Clevinger

Nice thread.

I'm curious to see how Zed's actress does. It's weird seeing several telenovela stars popping up in American shows this year.

Didn't watch the leaked pilot, so i can't wait. I hope it does well on Fridays.
Any idea how many episodes season one will be? Either way I'm pretty excited for this. :)
People will correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it's a standart 13 episodes and if ratings are good they'll order 9 more episodes, so total count for season 1 will be 22 episodes.

Kevin

He smokes in the show. Even did so in the pilot. They just can't show it on screen due to network tv rules. They are allowed to show him putting a cigarette out though. Stupid but not enough to ruin a potentially good show. Not for me anyways.

TheOddOne

- Screenrant: David S. Goyer Talks ‘Constantine’, Justice League Dark & DC TV Show Crossovers
SCREEN RANT: Speaking of storylines, we all know that Constantine…with other characters like Zatanna, or any of the other DC magic people. Would it be possible to see Justice League Dark in any way, shape, or form? Would you want him to be a part of something like that?

GOYER: Yeah. I think you’ll see some of those…If the show takes off…even within the first 12 episodes we’ve introduced two or three characters from the broader DC universe that are not just exclusively from Hellblazer. Corrigan has been mentioned, but there’s a couple of other characters we haven’t talked about that will show up as well. If the show takes off and we get our back nine and come back a second season, we sort of have access to that whole corner of the occult universe. So, hopefully we’ll be introducing those characters as is appropriate.
SCREEN RANT: I know one of his biggest confrontations that everyone would love to see adapted on the screen was Constantine and Swamp Thing. Is that something that has been thrown around at all?

GOYER: It’s been thrown around. It’s not something I think we’d attempt in the first season. We need to make sure that we can pull off the special makeup effects. We don’t want to do a cheesy version of Swamp Thing. It’s a lot easier to do Dr. Occult or Zatanna or Jim Corrigan than it is to do Swamp Thing. So we’ll see.

Penguin

I kind of feel for this show

It is the least-talked about DC show launching.... and then it airs Friday nights at 10pm

But I'm excited, wasn't my favorite pilot, but it had A LOT to establish in the first episode.

TheOddOne

It is the least-talked about DC show launching.... and then it airs Friday nights at 10pm

But I'm excited, wasn't my favorite pilot, but it had A LOT to establish in the first episode.
Isn't getting much buzz from the critics too.

Strike

I'll check it out. Don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it since I have so many other comic book shows to watch this season.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good OP. I liked the movie. I look forward to trying out the show (and I realize it won't be very similar to the movie — that's OK).

Wiktor

Any idea how many episodes season one will be? Either way I'm pretty excited for this. :)

If it's successful it will get full season. I don't think they have announced how many episodes have been ordered so far. The only info we got is that they recently ordered scripts for three more eps, so they propably feel pretty confident about it.

Qvoth

will watch this just because it's constantine
the leaked pilot was very meh though so unless they changed a lot i'll skip to episode 2

Wiktor

The funny this is that it's actually the most talked about DC show, at least before premiere. Just not here on GAF. But it had the most social media buzz out of any new shows this season, comic book ones or not.

I'm hopefull it will do well as long as the show is good. Grimm has turned out to be a pretty surprise hit for NBC and they've been constantly looking for a good companion series to it and failing. Due to it's nature Constantine should do a lot better following Grimm than either Hannibal or Dracula ever could. And the requirements for success on friday are a lot lower than for any other day of the week.

Decado

Kinda hard to believe NBC is going to pull this one off. Pretty much anything the big networks put out gets an automatic pass from me, but I quite like Constantine...I just don't want to start watching just to get pissed off at how badly they are ruining it.

Is it true he doesn't even smoke in this version?

Kevin

Kinda hard to believe NBC is going to pull this one off. Pretty much anything the big networks put out gets an automatic pass from me, but I quite like Constantine...I just don't want to start watching just to get pissed off at how badly they are ruining it.

Is it true he doesn't even smoke in this version?

As I posted above a few posts, he does smoke and is even shown putting out a cigarette in the first episode. They are just not allowed to show him actually smoking due to network rules.

Decado

As I posted above a few posts, he does smoke and is even shown putting out a cigarette in the first episode. They are just not allowed to show him actually smoking due to network rules.
lol. Really? This show really shouldn't be on NBC.

Doesn't NBC air Hannibal?

XAL

The pilot was so so incredibly bad. The VFX and that female lead's terrible acting. The "scary" moments were trying too damn hard and ended up just being laughable.

I hope they fixed those problems..

Kevin

I actually thought the VFX was really good for the pilot. I'm only hoping they can manage this quality across the entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom