• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

I think the show needed some tightening up, but Matt's Constantine was hitting the right notes. Still sad to see it crash. There's good stories to be told.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
More viewers than Arrow.

This is one of those moments when the TV entertainment industry just makes no logical sense, because success is judged relativistically based on your grouping (network). It is, essentially, an error in data aggregation.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm really bummed about this show getting cancelled. Although I have to admit the middle episodes kinda weren't very good. I loved the Pilot and the last few episodes though. I think the show needed less Zedd, she just didn't interest me at all.

Wiktor

I'm really bummed about this show getting cancelled. Although I have to admit the middle episodes kinda weren't very good. I loved the Pilot and the last few episodes though. I think the show needed less Zedd, she just didn't interest me at all.
I think there's this obsession nowadays with having multiple characters in the cast.
In reality the only regular should have been John and maybe Manny. The rest should have been recurring.

BBboy20

More viewers than Arrow.

This is one of those moments when the TV entertainment industry just makes no logical sense, because success is judged relativistically based on your grouping (network). It is, essentially, an error in data aggregation.
What. The. Fuck.

Joni

More viewers than Arrow.

Perspective matters. If I make a movie that brings in $100 million for a small studio, it is a huge runaway hit. If Peter Jackson makes a movie that brings in $200 million for Warner Bros, it is a bomb. Why should Warner Bros keep hiring Jackson just because I in a different set of circumstances brought in less money for a small studio.

Also, NBC has to keep paying for the licensing of Constantine with advertising as their only revenue stream. All the other rights are at Warner Bros. The CW on the other hand has more revenue streams with online streaming and Warner Bros owns the station, so even if it wasn't profitable for The CW, it could be interesting to keep for other revenue streams. NBC won't be doing Warner Bros that pleasure.

More viewers than Arrow.

Lower demo ratings than Arrow which is what advertisers care about. Never mind that The CW has lower standards in terms of ratings and viewership numbers than the "big four". Plus Arrow is owned by WB which owns half of the CW. If NBC owned Constantine it probably would've been brought back.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Perspective matters. If I make a movie that brings in $100 million for a small studio, it is a huge runaway hit. If Peter Jackson makes a movie that brings in $200 million for Warner Bros, it is a bomb. Why should Warner Bros keep hiring Jackson just because I in a different set of circumstances brought in less money for a small studio.

Also, NBC has to keep paying for the licensing of Constantine with advertising as their only revenue stream. All the other rights are at Warner Bros. The CW on the other hand has more revenue streams with online streaming and Warner Bros owns the station, so even if it wasn't profitable for The CW, it could be interesting to keep for other revenue streams. NBC won't be doing Warner Bros that pleasure.

Lower demo ratings than Arrow which is what advertisers care about. Never mind that The CW has lower standards in terms of ratings and viewership numbers than the "big four". Plus Arrow is owned by WB which owns half of the CW. If NBC owned Constantine it probably would've been brought back.

I get that there are other factors, but... Aggregation. Error.

Select Top x Show, sum(viewers) from NewShows
order by sum(viewers) desc

This one and Daredevil are about all I could enjoy, I'm two episodes into Arrow and I... just... can't. I'll keep watching The Flash, though, at this stupid Hulu trickle-feed pace.

The next time someone adapts this book I hope they call it Hellblazer and break the curse. :( Also hope Preacher doesn't suck.

DrAg0nBoY

Sorry for a late bump but I just finished watching the whole season and I really liked it. The first two episodes didn't hook me, but then it just grabbed me and I couldn't stop till I watched the whole season. A real shame there won't be a second season :(.

But I do have a question. Now that I am hooked on TV Constantine I would just like to ask which comics should I read. I am all open for your suggestions.

Sorry for a late bump but I just finished watching the whole season and I really liked it. The first two episodes didn't hook me, but then it just grabbed me and I couldn't stop till I watched the whole season. A real shame there won't be a second season :(.

But I do have a question. Now that I am hooked on TV Constantine I would just like to ask which comics should I read. I am all open for your suggestions.

I'm not too familiar with the big story arcs, but I've heard good things about "Dangerous Habits".

Magwik

Banned
I'm still disappointed we don't get an official soundtrack release D:
edit: if I'm lucky we will get at least a good theme redux in Arrow :/

I started from Hellblazer issue 1 and I would recommend the same. Issue #15 was a story arc that I absolutely hated (Fear Machine) so I then started to follow this list which I found from google.

I was happy with it but it jumps around forward and backwards. I'm a bit bummed that I might have missed some great stories not included in that list but for the sake of limited free time, plus not running the risk of another Fear Machine, I've accepted it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I started from Hellblazer issue 1 and I would recommend the same. Issue #15 was a story arc that I absolutely hated (Fear Machine) so I then started to follow this list which I found from google.

I was happy with it but it jumps around forward and backwards. I'm a bit bummed that I might have missed some great stories not included in that list but for the sake of limited free time, plus not running the risk of another Fear Machine, I've accepted it.

I'd start (and indeed did) with Swamp Thing, then move into Delano Hellblazer.

I was a fan of the character in Swamp Thing, but when his own book started, I didn't like the initial run of issues and stopped after the Newcastle story ended (which I thought was better left implied than told). I picked up Dangerous Habits later and loved it.

Now I want to go read the whole run.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was a fan of the character in Swamp Thing, but when his own book started, I didn't like the initial run of issues and stopped after the Newcastle story ended (which I thought was better left implied than told). I picked up Dangerous Habits later and loved it.

Now I want to go read the whole run.

Personally, I love the Mike Carey run which is pretty dependent on Delano and Ennis storylines. I always thought Delano becomes a bit esoteric towards the end. He returned to the series much later down the road with a one-off storyline called 'Pandemonium' which was the nuts.

Kevin

Yeah I finally finished the season. The show was really good. I had stopped when it was canceled because I was really upset (and still am) but decided to go back and finish with the announcement that Constantine would be in an episode of Arrow.

This show was beginning to reach greatness and NBC sucked the life out of it. Really big shame that people were not giving this a chance (same with Hannibal of course).

Tomita

Yeah I finally finished the season. The show was really good. I had stopped when it was canceled because I was really upset (and still am) but decided to go back and finish with the announcement that Constantine would be in an episode of Arrow.

This show was beginning to reach greatness and NBC sucked the life out of it. Really big shame that people were not giving this a chance (same with Hannibal of course).

Yeah, the episodes with the nun (forgot her name) were great. Unfortunately, when you're a fantasy/scifi show, you don't have the luxury of starting off slow. And you need to have a compelling plot to pull you along, which Almost Human failed to do as well...

Still bitter about that, lol. I need my human/robot bromance back ):

Tomita

Guess we should be grateful Constantine and Almost Human got cancelled before they turned into Sleepy Hollow, welp. SH started out so great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom