• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

As a whole I would like CWverse to start exploring the magical side of DC. This is the area where DC wallks all over Marvel, so not using it would be a shame. Whether they do it by Constantine, Books of Magic or something else....
Or like the Zatanna rumour we had for "The Magician" episode of Arrow. Could be the best way to have these things cross-over, Zatanna on both shows.

Wiktor

Or like the Zatanna rumour we had for "The Magician" episode of Arrow. Could be the best way to have these things cross-over, Zatanna on both shows.

yeah. I don't think Zatanna is enough to carry her own show. But whatever magical they make it needs Zatanna. She works great both as ocassional partner to Constantine as well as mentor to Timothy Hunter.

And since Flash/Arrow have glorious tradition of taking Spartacus actors we need Viva Bianca in that role :)

Alpende

Should go to a network where Constantine can be Constantine, including heavy smoking and stuff.

I did expect the cancellation though.

Just as a random thing I thought I'd mention, I never really got how Constantine could be struggling with his faith. Like he has constant direct proof of the existence of the supernatural, angels, and in general god. Is he simply struggling to believe in God's goodness on account of non-interventionist policies?

Just as a random thing I thought I'd mention, I never really got how Constantine could be struggling with his faith. Like he has constant direct proof of the existence of the supernatural, angels, and in general god. Is he simply struggling to believe in God's goodness on account of non-interventionist policies?
Maybe there is a difference in knowing about that stuff and believing there is some kind of divine purpose.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why didn't this show click with people?

It was just overall very weak. It was Hot Topic dark and gritty and full of CW's version of evil. Nearly every episode seemed to end with John holding up a hand and muttering Latin at the right time. It took hard R rated material and made something on the level of Grimm, so it just didn't separate itself from the pack of monster-of-the-week type shows.

Maybe 15 years ago, this show could have been something special, but it's just sort of another show of the type the general audience has clearly had their fill of. Meanwhile, a non-smoking, none-asshole, John wandering around Iowa isn't exactly drawing in the comic crowd that cares about the source material.

Even with all of those flaws, it wasn't really terrible. It also just wasn't very good.

This Matt Ryan fellow needs to be cast as the next Doctor Who.

I'd watch it. Every episode!

Though as he's Welsh a Constantine/Torchwood crossover would be interesting too :)

Constantine needs to go to a channel where he can be Constantine as was said earlier but i'm glad we even got the show. Constantine on tv was something i never thought i'd get to watch.

Joni

It seems Amell isn't the only person at The CW campaigning for Constantine.

Mark Sheppard, @Mark_Sheppard (Supernatural's Crowley)
Let's save a show. #SaveConstantine

Joseph Morgan @JosephMorgan (The Original's Klaus)
#Constantine Pick up the show and I'll guest star #SaveConstantine

William Shatner ‏@WilliamShatner (The 100s Huge Fan)
So NBC canceled #Constantine maybe we can all ask the @CW_network to have a look?

Jim Beaver ‏@jumblejim (Supernatural's Bobby)
What does Bobby Singer do on vacation? He tries to #SaveConstantine ! Tell @CW_network that we're not done with that show! #Constantine

Brandon Routh @BrandonJRouth (Legends of Tomorrow' ATOM)
Sign me up! #SaveConstantine

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
technically Constantine is a DC show too, so TECHNICALLY they could even put it in the same universe as Arrow and Flash

Please? :(

Joni

You have to wonder if Warner Bros is getting their relevant stars tweeting because they are really looking at finding a new spot somewhere.

You have to wonder if Warner Bros is getting their relevant stars tweeting because they are really looking at finding a new spot somewhere.

Nah. Everyone of those actors get the majority of their work in genre (or in Shatner's case, his entire career is based there). So they're just looking out for their own in that regard. They want to continue to see genre stuff thrive on networks, lest they be banished to Cable Nets again.

Qasiel

Isn't the Justice League Dark movie coming out in a few years? Apart from probably Zatanna, John's probably the most well-known character in the team and keeping him on TV would be the best way to get movie attendance up as those who wouldn't be familiar with him otherwise may not want to see it.

Platy

Netflix would be a dream come true, but I am LOVING the cw star power trying to save the show ! =D

Fuck yeah Amel, Shartner and Routh !

Effect

The only problems I see it going to CW would be the drastically decreased budget (Constantine looked really nice) and it would be in direct competition with Supernatural due to similar elements on the surface. Once you get passed that the shows are very different though.

DieH@rd

Banned
If the show lands on CW, I would like full integration of John Constantine into Arrowverse. His own show should be fully serialized [not procedural], short, and used to introduce Dr.Fate and magic into TV DC space.

Heck, even if the Constantine show does not get home from CW, Matt Ryan should not be stopped to become part of Arrowverse on his own as a side character that sometimes visits Starling/Central cities.

The only problems I see it going to CW would be the drastically decreased budget (Constantine looked really nice) and it would be in direct competition with Supernatural due to similar elements on the surface. Once you get passed that the shows are very different though.

Supernatural is on its last legs, though. Besides, CW also has The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and iZombie. All supernatural horror fantasy style shows. Constantine would fit right in on that network. If anything, the similarities in shows would increase its viewership rather than compete for it and decrease it.

kyser73

He's a misotheist, same as Riddick.

The movie has a bit of exposition on this subject when we're introduced to Gabriel.

Lazyslob

Banned
sucks constantine is ending. i never read the comic but it was always more unique to me than other comic shows in some ways. i do hope it gets continued on netflix

Pachimari

I really hope this will get picked up by SOMEBODY. Even though I haven't gotten around to finish Season 1 yet. It'll be one of those things I'll do this Summer.

PS: Jist did what I could do on Twitter too.

Wiktor

http://community.ew.com/2015/05/11/fight-to-save-constantine/
Also Im really disappointed the soundtrack probably won't get an official release :(
Sucks. The soundtrack was amazing. Based Bear McCreary seems to have bad luck with DC shows. I still can't get over the tragedy of Fox dropping him as composer for S2 of Human Target. We never got a chance to hear the Guerrero suite we were supposed to get
Then again..whole S2 of Human Target was a mess :D

Wiktor

Badass! I don't know where they'd fit it on the schedule, though, unless CW somehow convinces affiliates to let them expand to Sunday nights. Maybe it could be a two-month midseason filler while Flash or Arrow take a break, like how Agent Carter was used for Agents of SHIELD?
Imo the second option is perfect. It looks like they will air Legends of Tomorrow during Arrow and Flash break. You could air 13 episodes Constantine season alongside LoT. Plus in the coming months John could make guest appearances on Flash and Arrow, to hype up his own show.

Joni

Badass! I don't know where they'd fit it on the schedule, though, unless CW somehow convinces affiliates to let them expand to Sunday nights. Maybe it could be a two-month midseason filler while Flash or Arrow take a break, like how Agent Carter was used for Agents of SHIELD?
It would be the best spot, Constantine during Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow during The Flash. They really need to reduce their amount of reruns.

Effect

They're having discussions with CW about Constantine :)

I hope something comes of this. Still feel Constantine was the best of the comic book shows before Flash kicked it into high gear. If not CW then maybe something like Hulu (Plus) and Amazon Prime. To offer something counter to Netflix's Marvel shows. Both services are into original programming and picking up other shows.

Wiktor

I hope something comes of this. Still feel Constantine was the best of the comic book shows before Flash kicked it into high gear. If not CW then maybe something like Hulu (Plus) and Amazon Prime. To offer something counter to Netflix's Marvel shows. Both services are into original programming and picking up other shows.

Yep. Amazon would be great. Heck, they could even move it to London, since they're already making Ripper Street there.
I just want it to survive somehow, anywhere is good for me.

Why didn't this show click with people?

Honestly, I think Supernatural just beat them to the punch and Supernatural has been going for a LONG while now. It's not as unique a premise as it would have been otherwise and the format made it seem like a copycat even though it's kind of the other way around.

Also, I think shows like this need to realize that they need to introduce a more tangible central conflict or antagonist sooner in their seasons. The "Rising Darkness" was so ethereal that you might as well have just said "We need to fight the evil that's making other evil more evil!". As much as I liked the Manny reveal, the season might have been stronger if they had revealed that at the end of the first episode. OR if they had focused more on Zed's father as a more immediate villain.

Platy

I would love to see them doing something more ... "fantasy island" related to the cast

Like mostly just Constantine and whatever crosses his path.

Chaz is awesome and the Zed kinda grew on me but the companion-lite episodes were the best ones

It will never happen, and he's honestly kind of a douche for stringing people along like this.

I've never understood why people even got hyped by this "rumor" anyway. The CW already has so many shows for the 2015-2016 season.

Even if they wanted this, and I can't imagine why they would, where the hell would they schedule it?

Here's hoping someone picks it up and retools, Matt Ryan was ace. Of course the fact that this died and Gotham still exists makes me a sad Panda.

Wiktor

I've never understood why people even got hyped by this "rumor" anyway. The CW already has so many shows for the 2015-2016 season.

Even if they wanted this, and I can't imagine why they would, where the hell would they schedule it?

Alongside Legends of Tomorrow?

The breaks suck on CW. Few eps..break..few eps..couple weeks break...few eps...1,5 month break etc.
No matter if Constantine is there or not I would like to see then just split seasons of Flash and Arrow into two and put like 2-3 months between them to air different series. The way ABC did with Shield and Carter.

ivysaur12

Banned
Alongside Legends of Tomorrow?

The breaks suck on CW. Few eps..break..few eps..couple weeks break...few eps...1,5 month break etc.
No matter if Constantine is there or not I would like to see then just split seasons of Flash and Arrow into two and put like 2-3 months between them to air different series. The way ABC did with Shield and Carter.

They're not going to do that.

Again, it's fine that these talks are taking place in private, but it's really, really, really shitty to be so open and create false hope when nothing will come of this.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Again, it's fine that these talks are taking place in private, but it's really, really, really shitty to be so open and create false hope when nothing will come of this.

Ehh you're just having a bout of:
91sn32Q.jpg

Age of the Internet has drawn plenty of back-door conversations out into the open and I get it if you missed the days of civil discussions without hashtag brigades behind them.

But they are gone. Witness indie gaming, fiction publication, like, everywhere. There is no austerity to be enjoyed in "I got a season on NBC!" If he didn't want to create false hope he shouldn't have produced a pilot. We're, like, in, already.

Please understand.

Sonicbug

They're not going to do that.

People are going to have false hope regardless of talking or not. I don't think anything will come of this either....

But then I remember Viper was a thing that happened. Then happened again. TV has done weirder things and TV right now is downright weird.

Personally, at this point I think it'd be cool if they can get Matt Ryan's Constantine in to other shows as guest spots if it fits.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ehh you're just having a bout of:
91sn32Q.jpg

Age of the Internet has drawn plenty of back-door conversations out into the open and I get it if you missed the days of civil discussions without hashtag brigades behind them.

But they are gone. Witness indie gaming, fiction publication, like, everywhere. There is no austerity to be enjoyed in "I got a season on NBC!" If he didn't want to create false hope he shouldn't have produced a pilot. We're, like, in, already.

Please understand.

Compare what Mindy is doing -- someone who has an incredibly active twitter following -- to what Cerone has done with their canceled shows. Mindy is almost definitely getting her show picked up at Hulu, yet hasn't really said a word about it outside of an instagram video where she winks at the camera the day she was canceled.

Because she's smart, and the deal could fall through, and literally updating your fanbase on every single meeting you're taking is really silly.

"We're doing everything we can to save the show. If something happens, you'll all be the first to know #SaveConstantine" ≠ "I saw someone from HBO in line at my coffee place today and he said hi, let's try HBO!"

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom