• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great episode.

Loved the redneck and the girls were creepy as hell.

Disappointed we didn't see Corrigan didn't turn into the Spectre, felt this was the perfect episode for it to happen, especially at the hands of the crazy redneck with a taste for torture.

Manny being evil. Should have known, but it was still a pretty big surprise. Although why did he out a bounty on John? Seems rather silly, unless it was something to motivate John?

John dick punching the zombie twice? Oh my god, I couldn't stop laughing and then using the same zombie trick on Midnight was fantastically done.

No Chas this episode was a bummer and what was the deal with that old dude at the beginning who told the girl she was going to die? He also appeared in John's vision, seemed like he might have been important?

I really hope this is picked up for a second season or Amazon picks it up.

Kevin

Somebody should pick this up. I still feel like the show has potential to gain a bigger audience. It just needs the right network, air-date and advertising.

I was supper bummed when Fox canceled Almost Human last year and I can tell you that a Constantine cancellation would even suck more for me.

-Deimos

I'm so confused.
I'll go with the theory that Manny is trying to manipulate Constantine into fighting the darkness.

The rest of the episode was meh.

I've been avoiding this thread since I'm 1 episode behind, but I did see the Ritchie episode (LOVED IT!!!) plus the Zed/Manny episode (also very good!). Was friday's episode the final one?

DieH@rd

Banned
I've been avoiding this thread since I'm 1 episode behind, but I did see the Ritchie episode (LOVED IT!!!) plus the Zed/Manny episode (also very good!). Was friday's episode the final one?

Yes, all episodes have been aired. Now we wait about news about cancelation/renewal/networkswitch.

Yoooooo, I stuck with this show because I really dig Matt Ryan as Constantine and I've slowly grown to tolerate-like the supporting cast but that was a wack season (series?) finale.

My main two annoying points being that they
kill the hilly billy Satan worshipper and they pay lipservice to it being a weighty decision and instead it's just brushed off. AV Club was right, it really felt like a watered down True Detective episode. Then there was the dumb twist of Manny being evil. Honestly, I'm hoping that the fans are right for once and it's just some plan to get John to fight the Rising Darkness (wow that name) because otherwise it makes no damn sense why Manny would intervene so many times against other evils.

I hate that this is on NBC and it's a procedural. Sweet Jesus I can only imagine how dull this show would be if it had an even longer season. I enjoy a lot of the mythology and the characters but strict formula and low budget dampers my enjoyment of it.

I feel like if it where on cable it would be soooo much better and not freaking SyFy either, something like AMC or FX.

I hate that this is on NBC and it's a procedural. Sweet Jesus I can only imagine how dull this show would be if it had an even longer season. I enjoy a lot of the mythology and the characters but strict formula and low budget dampers my enjoyment of it.

I feel like if it where on cable it would be soooo much better and not freaking SyFy either, something like AMC or FX.

Less procedural would be nice, definitely.

At least it's not on the CW!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
When can we expect to hear the fate of Constantine? I really hope this shows continue as I feel like they are onto something special if they can get the formula done right. I do think it's need to be an over-arching plot than being procedural.

I finally caught up. Good episode, lots of smoking too. I just so happened to read the issue where Gary Lester spoke to John as a corpse but I can't remember what the message was, that bugged me the whole episode. The season as a whole was a bit inconsistent but I feel like the last 4 or so episodes were great. Like they finally found their footing. Hopeful for season 2.

Platy

Ok .... last episode was basicaly a mix of why I love reading Hellblazer comics.

John tricked everyone, there was magic from all kinds of sources and "religions" and everything was dark and awesome.

But ... if the series gets cancelled I am KILLING someone

Also ....
didn't the series had casted The First of The Fallen ?
Where is he ?

Hex

Banned
Ok .... last episode was basicaly a mix of why I love reading Hellblazer comics.

John tricked everyone, there was magic from all kinds of sources and "religions" and everything was dark and awesome.

But ... if the series gets cancelled I am KILLING someone

Also ....
didn't the series had casted The First of The Fallen ?
Where is he ?

Actually there is a pilot for a Lucifer series being filmed so they may not have wanted to confuse things. (kind of like the comic issues they had)

All caught up.

Whew.

Anyone else think Manny isn't exactly telling the truth about the Brujeria? Either way, it's not like we'll see if he is or isn't.

Eternal sadness.

infi

All caught up.

Whew.

Anyone else think Manny isn't exactly telling the truth about the Brujeria? Either way, it's not like we'll see if he is or isn't.

Eternal sadness.

Manny seemed different in the last ep, when he was speaking to Zed and got really close it didn't seemed like normal Manny to me. I also expected him to complain about Constantine getting the cop to kill the Satanist dude.

Manny seemed different in the last ep, when he was speaking to Zed and got really close it didn't seemed like normal Manny to me. I also expected him to complain about Constantine getting the cop to kill the Satanist dude.
Definitel, I agree. He acted quite differently in that final ep.

I mean, my guess:

-After he killed the Fallen Angel, the Brujaria showed up.
-My guess is that Manny got corrupted by the Fallen (somehow)
-It also makes sense as to why he burned the scrying map in the first place.
-Also explains why he didn't save John earlier when John bonded the demon to himself (not because John didn't ask, but because he wanted to see how it played out)

The question becomes: are the Brujaria the cause of the Rising Darkness, or just a result of it? If they caused it, then Manny is master orchestrater supreme. If they're the result, then Manny probably hasn't been corrupted the whole time. Then again, Papa Midnite's sister did give him that prediction about betrayal before they encountered the Fallen Angel. So, most likely Manny has just been fucking around this whole time.

Pachimari

I hadn't realized at all that this had ended wow! And this were one of the shows I were gonna watch every week but it didn't start well, so my attention were led towards other shows. With episode 2 it got better.

And we just finished episode 3 a few minutes ago and it keeps getting better. The actor as Constantine is also growing a little bit on me.

Does it get better throughout?

I hadn't realized at all that this had ended wow! And this were one of the shows I were gonna watch every week but it didn't start well, so my attention were led towards other shows. With episode 2 it got better.

And we just finished episode 3 a few minutes ago and it keeps getting better. The actor as Constantine is also growing a little bit on me.

In my opinion it gets consistently better every episode.

That's me, though.

Wiktor

Episode 4 was to me one of the finest episodes of anything comics-based last year, so yeah. It does keep getting better and better :)

Episode 4 was to me one of the finest episodes of anything comics-based last year, so yeah. It does keep getting better and better :)
I forget: is that the one
with the hunger demon or whatever?
Or was that episode 3? Because I really like that one. My personal favorite episode is Blessed are the Damned. I really, really enjoyed that.

Wiktor

I forget: is that the one
with the hunger demon or whatever?
Or was that episode 3? Because I really like that one. My personal favorite episode is Blessed are the Damned. I really, really enjoyed that.
Yeah, it's the one with
hunger demon
. It's concentrated example of what makes Constantine different from other comicbook heroes running on TVs these days. Not only he had to do something truly loathsome, but they also forced him to experience every moment of the brutal consequences. It's ending scene, with Constantine
holding Gary's hand while he's eated alive from the inside
was my single favorite moment of anything comicbook based on TV last year.

Yeah, it's the one with
hunger demon
. It's concentrated example of what makes Constantine different from other comicbook heroes running on TVs these days. Not only he had to do something truly loathsome, but they also forced him to experience every moment of the brutal consequences. It's ending scene, with Constantine
holding Gary's hand while he's eated alive from the inside
was my single favorite moment of anything comicbook based on TV last year.
Yeah that episode is amazing

sturmdogg

One thing that bugged me about the finale. Manny can only appear to John if he possesses a body, right? So in that scene with Zed in the church / chapel, who did Manny possess? In the scene there were only the 2 of them.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like there's a good chance considering the ratings on that slot was lower than when Constantine was on. I don't want this show to die!

Penguin

Sorry for the bump... and possible false-hope

But one last hooray/attempt by NBC?

CDI_9glWIAAi1yf.jpg:large

A meeting is scheduled for Monday. A lot depends on how many new viewers binge watch this weekend.

Help get the word out!

I'm watching them anyway but on amazon prime in the uk as i don't have hulu or the others.
I hope, hope, hope that Constantine gets a second series, i need more! :)

If it gets renewed then it's only because Matt Ryan did such a good job at portraying Constantine. The co-stars, especially Zed should be replaced with better actors and characters.

Penguin

I'm gonna believe what most are saying about it being canned, but eh if I can help out..

It's just fun to think about in some ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom