• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm sure the various networks are going to love it knowing they're 6th in line after others have passed on it before them.

They probably knew that already.

With that said, you never voice those things in public. I may work in a different industry, but I would NEVER share anything like that in public. It's just not a good look.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yet on the other hand personalities on YouTube are pulling in network TV level of viewership with very much the every-little-detail, heart-on-your-sleeve approach to the public. I don't know, I have a soft spot for the underdog.

Yeah that last tweet, tho, and the other example with which you contrasted... see your point. Counter-productive. Hungry salesman.

Tough balance to strike in this day and age. Whedon went to UPN, so everything's survivable. Things already weren't looking good for the show, so I'm not sure what he stands to lose other than face.

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F10%2F06%2Ftumblr_lh9ab5zdtl1qhqqmto1_500.png

Wiktor

Looks like no CW :]
I hope that if this doesn't get picked up by anyone that at least the rights to magical side of DC will be avaible to CW. Because before Constantine launched what the showrunners were saying was that they got monopoly on most of the mistical characters.
I would love Matt Ryan to gueststar in some CW show, even if Constantine as a series is dead. But most of all I would like CW to do a big DC magic show, the way they do Flash or Arrow. If it can't be Constantine it can just as well be Timothy Hunter or Dr Fate. Just give me my magic :)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'd dig it if he did some guest spots in the Arrow-verse. Although, I hope they write him more con artist, less waving around of mystical objects.

Wiktor

I'd dig it if he did some guest spots in the Arrow-verse. Although, I hope they write him more con artist, less waving around of mystical objects.

My dream show is one with Timothy Hunter being mentored by both Constantine and Zatanna. THe latter teaching literal magic, while John teaching him how to con people :)

Penguin

Compare what Mindy is doing -- someone who has an incredibly active twitter following -- to what Cerone has done with their canceled shows. Mindy is almost definitely getting her show picked up at Hulu, yet hasn't really said a word about it outside of an instagram video where she winks at the camera the day she was canceled.

Because she's smart, and the deal could fall through, and literally updating your fanbase on every single meeting you're taking is really silly.

"We're doing everything we can to save the show. If something happens, you'll all be the first to know #SaveConstantine" ≠ "I saw someone from HBO in line at my coffee place today and he said hi, let's try HBO!"

See above.

That was my take away, and really wouldn't want this type of behavior rewarded because then other showrunners will think of doing it... and it will just be grating

Effect

I am wishing he would be more silent. I get wanting fan support, fighting for you show but if this doesn't help then stop.

If it doesn't get picked up I would hope WB would cast Matt Ryan in the films. Man nailed the role. Use this season as semi-background for the character in the films. It's isolated enough content wise it could be put into the film universe if they do go full magic. Or just ignore it all together but keep the actor.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
More viewers than anything on the CW, and the show can't continue because of Byzantine legacy network arrangements.

I'd go a little Don Quixote too if I were him. I don't really care for the implication that this fate is deserved because drumming up social support is tantamount to violating old media rules of decorum.

Yahoo it is.

Wiktor

I am wishing he would be more silent. I get wanting fan support, fighting for you show but it this doesn't help then stop.

r.

I honestly doubt he did it on his own. WB is doing the negotiations. if this would really hurt show chances I doubt they would let him.

Imbarkus

Ivysaur was right.

Twitter is just a minefield in so many ways no, ways I wouldn't even recognize.

Joni

Well, we all know Ivysaur12 jinxed the fate of Constantine with his posts. For revenge, we should all watch Helix season 2 and try to get that renewed.

Xemnas89

Looks like no CW :]
I hope that if this doesn't get picked up by anyone that at least the rights to magical side of DC will be avaible to CW. Because before Constantine launched what the showrunners were saying was that they got monopoly on most of the mistical characters.
I would love Matt Ryan to gueststar in some CW show, even if Constantine as a series is dead. But most of all I would like CW to do a big DC magic show, the way they do Flash or Arrow. If it can't be Constantine it can just as well be Timothy Hunter or Dr Fate. Just give me my magic :)

It sucks that CW probably didn't work out but it makes sense. CW renewed almost all of their shows and have new shows coming too. Probably no room in their schedule.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Confirmed to be dead.

Last month, NBC officially passed on a second season of the comic book-based television series Constantine. Since then, fans have tried to save the show, encouraging other networks to pickup it up. Sadly, executive producer Daniel Cerone revealed today that Constantine is officially dead.

Daniel Cerone broke the news via Twitter:

I promised I'd share news when I had it -- sadly, that news is not good. The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts. The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we're forever grateful, but those efforts didn't pan out. I'm sorry, I wasn't provided any information on the attempts to sell the show elsewhere. All I can report is that the show is over.

Many ingredients went into this TV series. From the dedicated cast that breathed these characters to life, led by Matt Ryan as the comic-made-flesh embodiment of John Constantine, to the exceptionality talented crew that put unreal images on screen, to the original Hellblazer writers and artists who gifted us a universe.

As a general principle, writers don't choose a writing career to achieve stardom. Whatever demons or insecurities drove them to find freedom of expression through written words generally keeps writers comfortably obscure behind their words. Nor do people choose writing as a means to financial freedom. I'd venture to guess that most who set out to write professionally never receive a paycheck for their hopeful scribbles or key strokes.

In fact, nobody I know ever chose a writing career -- it chose them. You write because that's what you do. Like breathing, it just happens and you have to do it and you just hope that someday somebody out there notices what you're trying to say.

If that's the dream of writers, than the writers of Constantine lived the dream, because we're leaving behind wild and passionate fans who believe in and were moved by what we tried to do. To leave such a significant, dedicated and active fan base on the table -- that's the real sadness. You all deserve many years of the series we set out to make, and we're disappointed that we couldn't deliver that to you. The good news is that Constantine will live on for years in many more forms. But our time as caretakers has ended.

Constantine was put into a difficult Friday night time slot, where many shows go to die. Not exactly the best spot to debut a show, but it was put right next to Grimm which is another supernatural television series that has flourished on that night. Constantine never had a large audience, but it did develop a cult following in its short stint.

If you want to look for a silver lining, there's a chance the character could appear in Guillermo del Toro's Justice League Dark film whenever he gets around to putting that together.

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/07/constantine-is-now-dead-according-to-executive-producer-daniel-c/

Wiktor

Shame. The show was shaky, but I liked most episodes. Still..while short lived I still got to see a more of lessa true John Constantine in live-action form. Short or not, that was still a very nice thing to see.

Still hoping CW will eventually add magical show to their DCverse.

Would there be any legal reason that might prevent Matt Ryan from reprising the same role in a Justice League Dark movie?

star-power

though knowing guillermo del toro's incompetent ass he'd probably hire charlie hunnam for constantine, good lord that would be awful.

Wiktor

star-power

though knowing guillermo del toro's incompetent ass he'd probably hire charlie hunnam for constantine, good lord that would be awful.

It all depends on how big the movie will be budget-wise.

But when it comes to Matt Ryan reprising his role, I would like to see him gueststar on CW. Make the goddamn Books of Magic show already CW and have Constantine to be recurring mentor..plus of course Viva Bianca as Zatanna :D

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I think there's a better Constantine out there. Matt Ryan plays him a bit too highly strung for my tastes.

I always thought Paul Bettany would make a perfect Constantine. He's got the look and the acting chops.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
haaaaaaa. Good one.

We have a third season of Hannibal.

I think the fact it lasted two season helped Hannibal. Constantine wasn't the best show ever but Dracula looked really expensive, like..serious investment expensive and they still canned it. Looks like the new policy is if you don't do well in the first you wont get a second.

Joni

I wonder if this opens up Constantine for use in Arrow. The cancellation might be a good thing for Guggenheim:

A lot of the pieces are in place, except for that one final piece, which is: what’s the fate of ‘Constantine’? That’s the tricky thing. But it comes up in the writers’ room constantly — we have a number of ideas; one idea that’s particularly exciting to me. We’re in a little bit of a wait-and-see mode, like you guys are.

Damn, i'm unsurprised as every show i like is cancelled but it's still disappointing.
I'm glad they gave it a go and found Matt Ryan who was fantastic as Constantine, just a shame the mainstream didn't take to it. Oh well :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really like the show at first, it took a few episodes to get going but then it really started to click with me. I hated the girl though, with that perma stupid look on her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom