• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrush

Matt Ryan is the best comic to live adaptation since RDJ. I have my problems with the companions and the plot, but I would happily sit through episodes of Matt Ryan as Constantine just chilling the fuck out.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It found some really solid legs around the fourth episode. But life can be short and brutal on NBC just like it can be on Fox, for something an hour long and fairly expensive.

Any viewing this weekend will increase the chances for life for the show in some form, I figure.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Daniel Cerone, executive producer of Constantine tweeted out for fans of the show to use the hashtags #Constantine and #SaveConstantine at 10 am PST so that when he was in his meeting with the NBC executives on Monday he could pull out his phone and show them that they were trending. So was it? And how did the meeting go… here was Cerone’s response:

Whew, done. Unnamed NBC exec said tell the fans it went well. Means nothing but hope never hurts. #Constantine #SaveConstantine #Hellblazers

Bleeding Cool

Please, please, let this show live. It's got too much potential behind it for it to end just now!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
When I worked television in the Denver market learned that the Nielsens used a sample of exactly 500 people to estimate the viewership of a market of 5 million.

NBC is a dinosaur, using dinosaur metrics with dinosaur-sized problems in sample error and sample bias to do their best to reach dinosaur viewers.

CEgkU_jUgAABjDz.png

CW would be the best choice. I doubt Netflix will go for it. I wonder if their package deal with Marvel would allow them to?

Maddocks

I'd say move it to cw, but they would add pointless drama with zed, not cool.

ten episode season on HBO and call it a day.

Goldrush

Making it fit with the CW shows mean expanding everything wrong with the show, but if it means more Matt Ryan as Constantine, then I'm amenable to that.

Imbarkus

I don't care if Yahoo picks it up... someone should.

Effect

I hope another network picks it up. The show was really good. I still put the blame on NBC in how they handled the show from the very beginning.

spwolf

CW would be the best choice. I doubt Netflix will go for it. I wonder if their package deal with Marvel would allow them to?

How would CW be good fit? If anything it is the opposite... CW is all about teens. Constantine is opposite of that. It would do all right on cable though.

Malvingt2

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood
#SaveConstantine -- Hey TV Networks / Netflix and the like... If you pick up the show, I'll guest star.

This guy!!

Fury451

Banned
Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood
#SaveConstantine -- Hey TV Networks / Netflix and the like... If you pick up the show, I'll guest star.

This guy!!

Haha, he gets points for that.

Matt Ryan is a fantastic Constantine, shame about the show being kinda sucky. I started it but unfortunately it didn't hold me long. Honestly AMC would've been a better fit for this than Preacher. I'd love to see Ryan get a second chance though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hulu has been on a buying spree in what appears to be a desperate attempt to bolster its subscription base. I'd actually spring for it if it picked up Constantine.

Why didn't this show click with people?

It aired on a Friday. No one watches TV on Fridays anymore. Some of the mainstream viewers may have been turned off by the demony magicky elements, too.

Imbarkus

Haha, he gets points for that.

Matt Ryan is a fantastic Constantine, shame about the show being kinda sucky. I started it but unfortunately it didn't hold me long. Honestly AMC would've been a better fit for this than Preacher. I'd love to see Ryan get a second chance though.

First three episodes seemed kind of disjointed. It took until the fourth to hit its stride.

Effect

Didn't have a good start. NBC aired it at 10PM EST on a Friday night. Only after the mid season break did they decide to put on earlier but the damage was done. There was a up tick in the ratings but not enough. It was still Friday. All the other comic book related shows (Gotham, Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield and more recently iZombie and Agent Carter) were given prime time slots on their respective networks early in the week save Constantine. It was tossed into a bad time slot on day one. It didn't have a chance to click with people. NBC's actions ensured people didn't see it.

It's a shame too because while I've enjoyed a lot of the other shows I still feel that Constantine was the best out of the DC shows. Only recently has Flash edged ahead for me.

I still question why NBC even bothered when they were going to handle it like this.

Didn't have a good start. NBC aired it at 10PM EST on a Friday night. Only after the mid season break did they decide to put on earlier but the damage was done. There was a up tick in the ratings but not enough. It was still Friday. All the other comic book related shows (Gotham, Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield and more recently iZombie and Agent Carter) were given prime time slots on their respective networks early in the week save Constantine. It was tossed into a bad time slot on day one. It didn't have a chance to click with people. NBC's actions ensured people didn't see it.

It's a shame too because while I've enjoyed a lot of the other shows I still feel that Constantine was the best out of the DC shows. Only recently has Flash edged ahead for me.

I still question why NBC even bothered when they were going to handle it like this.

Except it was paired with another genre show on the network (Grimm) as a lead in and couldn't hold on to the viewers. The fact that Grimm aired on the same night, is also genre, and consistently did better ratings kinds of kills the angle of "NBC sent it out to die."

The show just didn't really grab enough interest.

Wiktor

Except it was paired with another genre show on the network (Grimm) as a lead in and couldn't hold on to the viewers. The fact that Grimm aired on the same night, is also genre, and consistently did better ratings kinds of kills the angle of "NBC sent it out to die."

The show just didn't really grab enough interest.

To be honest though,,Grimm seems to be kind of anomaly. Nothing else manages to get good viewers on Fridays on NBC except Grimm for the past 4 years and even that is doing pretty weakly recently.

Putting a show on fridays is a double edged sword. On one hand, the it will never get a chance to become a hit. But on the other hand the standards for survival there are much lower. And Constantine didn't manage to measure up even to those lowered standards.
It never did manage to grab enough interest for NBC. Still hope it got enough for somebody else though.

Effect

The time slot impacts the chances of interest growing or even being there in the first place. Having something move to that time slot when it's not doing well is one thing. Starting something off there is another story. That late and on that day you instantly cut significant viewership potential of the show, based on the ratings the channel is expected to pull in prime time, before it has even aired. This is why I say it never had a chance to grab interest in the way other shows have.

It's not like Grimm's ratings are even that good to begin with. It's not like it's starting off with high viewership and there was an exodus after it went off and Constantine came on. They were close for the most part.

Qvoth

It's cancelled :(

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

imo the show doesn't do the comic justice, i agree it should go to netflix, the show is a bit too light hearted, everything generally ends up ok for everyone
even the hunger demon episode which is probably the best in the season (since it follows the comic somewhat closely) ended in a good note, unlike the comic

Wiktor

Yeah. It supposedly doing pretty well there. And the showrunners have been focusing so much on fans streaming than I wonder if the goal isn't to make it look more attractive to Amazon. Especially since they could crosspromote it with comicbook sales easily

ivysaur12

Banned
It's not like it's starting off with high viewership and there was an exodus after it went off and Constantine came on. They were close for the most part.

I'm not intricately familiar with Constantine's numbers, but this isn't true.

I understand the point you're making, but it's a bit grasping at straws. Network program on Fridays all the time. Some starts premiere there and do well, with lowered expectations. That's what Fridays on television are -- a world of lowered expectations.

Remember -- NBC was super hot on Constantine all throughout its development, and the pilot came in a lot worse than they were expecting, to the point where they didn't pick it up. They finally did, but with the plan to put it on Fridays to try a genre-night with Grimm. That didn't work, but I'm dubious that Constantine, as it was as a pilot, would've worked anywhere on NBC's schedule.

Outside of a very loyal fanbase, it has no real buzz or critical accolades like a Hannibal. And Hannibal also has the benefit of being made of the same price as the Chipotle burrito bowl I'm eating right now. The best shot that Constantine had was probably on Friday, and it didn't perform.

Yeah. It supposedly doing pretty well there. And the showrunners have been focusing so much on fans streaming than I wonder if the goal isn't to make it look more attractive to Amazon. Especially since they could crosspromote it with comicbook sales easily

Not to be that guy, but I really don't expect any shows besides Mindy to go anywhere else this season. They'll try their hardest, but I don't really see it being picked up anywhere. You guys have already seen how overly optimistic showrunners can be about their own shows.

Wiktor

Not to be that guy, but I really don't expect any shows besides Mindy to go anywhere else this season. They'll try their hardest, but I don't really see it being picked up anywhere. You guys have already seen how overly optimistic showrunners can be about their own shows.

Oh..don't get me wrong. Just because I'm hoping doesn't mean I think it's likely. :)
All Im saying is that the focus on streaming makes me think WB will try to push it to Amazon first, not that Amazon will agree to pick it up.

Joni

A 13-episode limited season to fix up the Arrow slot in mid-season while Legends of Tomorrow does The Flash slot would be a nice move though. But I honestly don't know why Warner Bros would want to save the show. If Warner Bros is having trouble selling their shows, it might be a good idea to up The CW again.

Wiktor

A 13-episode limited season to fix up the Arrow slot in mid-season while Legends of Tomorrow does The Flash slot would be a nice move though. But I honestly don't know why Warner Bros would want to save the show. If Warner Bros is having trouble selling their shows, it might be a good idea to up The CW again.

As a whole I would like CWverse to start exploring the magical side of DC. This is the area where DC wallks all over Marvel, so not using it would be a shame. Whether they do it by Constantine, Books of Magic or something else....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom