• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

The pilot was leaked months ago. The actual premiere air date is Friday October 24th and will have at least one new scene not in the leaked pilot.

Wiktor

Should we be worried that it airs Fridays at 10? Isn't that a bad slot?

Not for genre show. Fridays have become pretty comfortable spot for this kind of shows, since they drop a lot less at this day compared to other days than non-genre shows. This has created a situation there's a lot less expectations for big ratings on fridays.

Especially in this situation that timeslot should benefit Constantine, because NBC really wants to finally find something that will retain most of viewers from Grimm, which airs at 9. And if Constantine ends up being a good show it shouldn't have problems achieving that, as it's far more compatibile with Grimm than anything else NBC put there up untill now.

Kevin

I imagine if the show stays mostly above 5 million viewers then it, "might" survive. At least Grimm has been surviving with mostly around 5 million viewers per episode as long as it has aired. I would imagine if it went lower for a long period of time then it would likely be canceled.

I imagine if the show stays mostly above 5 million viewers then it, "might" survive. At least Grimm has been surviving with mostly around 5 million viewers per episode as long as it has aired. I would imagine if it went lower for a long period of time then it would likely be canceled.
Millions don't matter. Demo is what matters.

I've only been reading comics for a few months, but Hellblazer and JLD are two of my favorites, and I plan on starting the New 52 Constantine soon.

Here's hoping this turns out well.

TheOddOne

- IGN Review (7.5)
The pilot for NBC's Constantine works at breakneck speed and hurls a lot of exposition, but Matt Ryan makes a fun hero.
- SFGate: TV review: 'Constantine’ needs work but has promise
Even if “Constantine” doesn’t last more than a couple of weeks on NBC, it’s still better than the 2005 feature film with Keanu Reeves also based on the Hellblazer comic books.
- NYpost: ‘Constantine’ brings DC Comics character to prime time
If you’re not already a fan of the story, “Constantine” has some kinks to iron out before the unenlightened will willingly follow this master of the dark arts.

obin_gam

Am I the only one who enjoyed Constantine the movie with Keanu? It got me into reading hellblazer...

No. Alot of people enjoy that movie. John Constantine fans as well. It's a good fun demon movie. It just isnt a Hellblazer movie.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Subscribing and excited for this, let's just hope that Goyer's poison didn't get too much into it D:

Cast promo photos

S1C-9.jpg

Am I the only one who enjoyed Constantine the movie with Keanu? It got me into reading hellblazer...
I enjoyed it. The movie is also canon too
(Constantine mentions in a comic that there's an alternate reality where he's an American - but don't ask me which issue)

Sonicbug

Pilot/first episodes often end up being wildly to weirdly different than whatever the end product of a thing ends up being in the long run. Hopefully there are some good writers lined up for the follow up episodes and that it pulls down enough of an audience to 'get good.'

There's obviously enough potential here. In end end it always comes down to ratings. =/

TheOddOne

Series premiere today:
Season 1: episode 1 "Non Est Asylum"

Based on the wildly popular comic book series “Hellblazer” from DC Comics, seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult John Constantine (Matt Ryan) is armed with a ferocious knowledge of the dark arts and a wickedly naughty wit. He fights the good fight — or at least he did. With his soul already damned to hell, he’s decided to abandon his campaign against evil until a series of events thrusts him back into the fray when an old friend’s daughter (guest star Lucy Griffiths) becomes the target of supernatural forces. Harold Perrineau and Charles Halford also star.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
(also, we're going to be the few who check this out, eh)
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much interest overall :(
I'm just hoping it turns out decent.

Superflat

Man, I should watch the movie again, haven't seen it in a while. Really liked the tone of it and Keanu was great as a jaded, morose exorcist with a cross shotgun.

Constantine is a series begging to be made for HBO or Showtime. Have massive reservations about a adaptation on NBC, but I'll wait and see for more viewer impressions.

I'm watching this now on Global in canada. it's pretty solid so far. But with it being on NBC you can see some limitations that could come out of it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So.... any considerable change from the pilot ?

They changed some stuff, particularly his
confrontation with the demon.

I watched the leaked pilot awhile back but I'll catch this anyway. I want to this to succeed, because Supernatural is no longer doing it for me, need my occult fix.

Tabby

I quite enjoyed it myself, more enjoyable than Gotham that's for sure.
Hope it succeeds but it doesn't look likely.

Meesh

Why does the actor playing Constantine remind me of chef Ramsey? Also, just to be clear I don't believe there's any "dabbling" in the occult...you either do or do not. Dabbling is dangerous, perhaps that's the point though? I'm not sure I haven't watched the pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom