• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

7TXKPPv.jpg

21) Tetsuo: The Iron Man (The First Cut) (1989) (Oct 23)

Body Horror Week - Day 3

Trying to review a movie as experimental as Tetsuo: The Iron Man is not an easy feat. The film is a non-stop, sturm und drang, industrial nightmare. What little plot their is, is told with only minimal dialogue and in a fragmented, avant-garde style that makes almost zero sense on its own. It's either brilliant or insane. I can't decide.

From the opening scenes, the energy of it and the pounding industrial soundtrack instantly grabbed me. Unfortunately, I went with the "First Cut" version of the movie which runs 10 minutes longer than the final release. Instead of inserting deleted scenes or anything graphic removed for rating purposes, the First Cut seems to be entirely made up of just slightly longer cuts of existing shots. While I haven't seen the original cut to compare, the First Cut does feel needlessly padded out and with a movie that depends on moving at such a kinetic speed, it really hurts the pacing. At times I between the pacing slowing down and the sheer difficulty of actually understand what's going on, my attention did wander a bit.

I'm going to cautiously call this one recommended for now just because of how original and bizarre it is, but watch the original version, not the First Cut.

Recommended.

oDu5rTr.jpg

22) Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) (Oct 24)

Body Horror Week - Day 4

The bigger budget followup to Tetsuo: The Iron Man slows the aggressive, kinetic pace down a bit in favour of telling a more coherent story. With improved practical effects work, a more complex story and great performances from the returning actors, Tetsuo II: Body Hammer is an excellent Japanese cyberpunk body horror.

The cold (and warm when needed) colour scheme of the movie is amazing. It's a real feast for the eyes at times and reminiscent of classic James Cameron (before he got replaced with a boring pod person). I wasn't too crazy about the cumbersome form the Iron Man eventually takes though, and the music is severely lacking.

Slowing down the breakneck pace in favour of a stronger emphasis on the story is welcome, though it does feel a little slow at times because of that. Perhaps somewhere in the middle of the two films is the perfect pacing...

Recommended.

ntNRok5.jpg

23) Tetsuo: The Bullet Man (2009) (Oct 24)

Body Horror Week - Day 5

And interestingly enough, the 3rd movie in the series, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man seems to be somewhere in the middle of the original's kinetic speed and the first sequels narrative pacing.

As good as that sounds on paper, it makes for an uneven viewing as it wasn't balanced as well as I would have hoped. The story isn't as engaging as Body Hammer and is hampered by the odd choice to have the movie in both Japanese and English. The majority of the characters speak English, and it's a mix of really sllllooowly spoken dialogue, thickly accented dialogue or dubbed over dialogue. I'm sure Japanese audiences wouldn't have been as sensitive to it, but the poor acting really drags the film down.

Each film also features a different look to it, and Bullet Man got the short end of the stick. The dull, almost monochrome digital look of it just succeeds in making everything look cheaper and artificial. It does have the coolest Iron Man look though. I loved how it was constantly steaming. The music is a HUGE improvement with over Body Hammer as well.

While I'm sure it sounds like I'm shitting all over it, it's still a decent movie if you're a fan of the series. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the first two, but it still kept my attention despite the flaws. I wish the finale was a little stronger though.

Decent.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)
17) Slugs: The Movie (Slugs, muerte viscosa) (1988) (Oct 18)
18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)
19) Shivers (aka They Came from Within) (1975) (Oct 19)
20) Videodrome (1983) (Oct 21)

When people say that this film takes place in a coffin they are NOT fucking around. The ENTIRE film takes place in a coffin for 90 minutes. Surprisingly it doesn't get boring. I will admit that I felt that the part
with the snake was eye rolling.
and I felt the choice to have it take place in Iraq and with terrorists made the film feel a bit more disconnecting rather if it had been some crazy psychotic killer or something. But then again that is what makes it unique.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK)
20) You're Next (Netflix US)
21) Day of the Dead (Netflix US)
22) Friday the 13th (2009, Netflix Mexico)
23) Big Ass Spider (Netflix US)
24) Night of the Creeps (Netflix US)
25) Nosferatu (Netflix US)
26) Videodrome (Netflix Mexico)
27) The Exorcist (Netflix Netherlands): 6/6 A true fucking classic. Really well done, creepy, great atmosphere, and great acting. The only knock is how slow it is at the beginning.

Movie #25: Jacob's Ladder.

Very enjoyable thriller/horror film. I definitely enjoyed the more creepy elements than the conspiracy stuff but as a whole they work pretty well in unison. It is kind of an enlightening movie since I've now seen something that has influenced other films and games (hello there Silent Hill) that I've enjoyed in the past. The party scene and the "hell hospital" scene are the two that really stuck out to me. Good stuff.

Penguin

29. Prom Night (1980) - This was pretty slow-paced, and I guess the template for "I Know What You Did Last Summer" The first kill doesn't come until after the hour mark, I do like that they make the killer kind of goofy, which works with the final reveal.

As a note, if I remember, think going to make next year's theme remakes of horror films. And maybe reboots

17. Let The Right One In

An enjoyable movie about two pre-teens falling in love, the boy's maturation, and dealing with bullies. Oh, and there's vampires too. It's also not every day where the "vampires can only come in if they're invited" rule is enforced, which leads to the title of the movie. The big thing for me is atmosphere. I don't know what it is, but Blackeburg, Sweden feels...alien to me. I guess that's what I get for looking at a Scandinavian country in 1981, but there's something about the buildings, all that snow, the people, the school. While there is background music, there are many scenes where all you hear is the characters' dialogue, and sounds they make. I do recommend giving it a watch, it's certainly not your everyday vampire movie.

1. White Zombie
2. Shadow of the Vampire
3. The Cabin in the Woods
4. The Stuff
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
6: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
7. Day of the Dead
8. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
9. Stephen King's Children of the Corn
10. The Blair Witch Project
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
12. Ravenous
13. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
14. Rosemary's Baby
15. Fright Night
16. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

GhaleonEB

I have Lake Mungo, a rewatch I first saw during last year's marathon, but I keep forgetting to watch it. Tomorrow.

I think part of me is putting it off. It's the only one from last year that still haunts me.

An-Det

26. Halloween (youtube)

While I watched the remake at some point, I had yet to see the original until now. Aside from the absurd reactions by the doctor early on (Myers killed his sister, and yet the doctor makes it seem like he's pure evil from the start, completely without reason), the film was pretty good. Jamie Lee Curtis was great, but otherwise the characters weren't really there. That's something that I felt the remake did well, making Myers a character rather than a plot device. Great atmosphere in the film, and seeing the origins of some of the genre tropes was neat.

Film 28: Dead Alive (1992)
Method of Viewing: Bluray Disc

MdepfZo.jpg

I was very fortunate to find the bluray edition of this since its been long OOP. I'm going to treasure it because it will be rewatched during many more Halloween movie marathons. This film is simply insane. The baby fight alone is worth the price of admission. I highly recommend this film to anyone who hasn't seen it. Honestly it should be required viewing for next year just like Ravenous and White Zombie.

Steamlord

#39 - Ugetsu

The supernatural, while undoubtedly present, takes a backseat here to the more immediate horror of human folly and suffering. It's the tragedy, not the ghosts, that are the true horror in this film. It's very easy to see its influence on films like Kaneto Shindo's Onibaba and Kuroneko.

#40 - Zombi 2

Pretty fun. Really cheesy with some of the dumbest characters I've seen in a horror movie, but it was nice and gory and it had a pretty good finale. I totally saw the ending coming, but it still worked really well. And the shark scene was one of the best/worst things I've ever seen.

Oct. 27

The_gorgon_320x240.jpg

The Gorgon preceded the "Cornwall Classics" by a couple years but shares many of their characteristics, most notably the transplanting of a rather exotic monster to a Victorian-era village, though here the setting is a peculiarly Anglo Germania rather than the Cornish countryside, and the monster one from classical antiquity... Also like Gilling's films, The Gorgon is structured as something of a "mystery" (it's no mystery to the audience). It's fun to see Cushing and Lee together, particularly as they have somewhat traded roles here, and despite some familiar gripes about budgetary restraints and the makeup for the titular creature, this is another solid Hammer horror from the period.

I want to finish off the week with a couple classics that one of my daughters wants to share with me on the big screen at a local cinema, and Halloween itself is traditionally given over to Trick 'R Treat here, so I'll conclude my Hammer horror film series for this year's October movie marathon tonight with one of their earliest and best sci-fi horrors, an excellent film in the Quatermas tradition and a long-standing personal favorite from 1956...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other Hammer monsters week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)
  20. Vampire Circus (1972)
  21. Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972)
  22. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)
  23. Ravenous (1999)
  24. The Mummy (1959)
  25. The Reptile (1966)
  26. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
  27. The Gorgon (1964)

Divius

We are already nearing the end of the month and I still have a bunch of movies left on my list yet only a few days remaining, which of these should I absolutely watch and which should I avoid?

À l'intérieur AKA Inside [2007]
Kuroneko [1968]
Honogurai mizu no soko kara AKA Dark Water [2002]
La frusta e il corpo AKA The Whip and the Body [1963]
My Bloody Valentine [1981]
Ils AKA Them [2006]
I Corpi Presentano Tracce di Violenza Carnale AKA Torso [1973]
Splinter [2008]
Shadow of the Vampire [2000]

I am leaning towards watching the bolded ones at least.

We are already nearing the end of the month and I still have a bunch of movies left on my list yet only a few days remaining, which of these should I absolutely watch and which should I avoid?

Kuroneko [1968]
Ils AKA Them [2006]
Splinter [2008]

'Inside' is great. I know that much. So is My Bloody Valentine, so that's a good decision, at least. I never say Torso, so I can't comment.

Kuroneko [1968]
Ils AKA Them [2006]
Splinter [2008]

Inside and Torso for sure. My Bloody Valentine is pretty good too.

izakq

Hellraiser_poster.png

Movie #25 - Hellraiser (1987) - Netflix

Had always wanted to see it, but never had a chance to until now. Some pretty good gore, story was good but I felt that the histories behind the puzzle box, the Cenobites, even Frank's and Larry's falling out should've been addressed more. I liked the Cenobites, even to the point of rooting for them. I liked it. Thumbs up.

Dumplings_%28film%29.jpg

Movie #26 - Dumplings (2004) - Netflix

It was ok, but kind of dragged on for me. At least the movie doesn't insult your intelligence and keeps dragging you on until the very end of the flick to know the secret of the dumplings, but rather go into the idea further as the movie goes on. Thumbs in the middle.

Movie #1 - Night of the Living Dead (1968) - TiVo
Movie #2 - Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Youtube
Movie #3 - Annabelle (2014) - Theater
Movie #4 - You're Next - Netflix
Movie #5 - The Thing (1982) - TiVo
Movie #6 - Cabin In the Woods (2012) - Netflix
Movie #7 - Saw IV - TiVo
Movie #8 - Excision
Movie #9 - V/H/S (2012) - Netflix
Movie #10 - Fire in the Sky (1993) - TiVo
Movie #11 - Would You Rather (2012) - OnDemand
Movie #12 - Oculus (2013) - Redbox
Movie #13 - The Blob (1988) - TiVo
Movie #14 - V/H/S/2 (2013) - Netflix
Movie #15 - Sinister (2012) - Rent
Movie #16 - Ring (1998) - YouTube
Movie #17 - The Conjuring (2013) - HBOGO
Movie #18 - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Youtube
Movie #19 - The Mist (2007) - Rent
Movie #20 - REC (2007) - YouTube
Movie #21 - Martyrs (2008) - Dailymotion
Movie #22 - The Human Race (2014) - YouTube
Movie #23 - Creepshow (1982) - Rent
Movie #24 - Candyman (1992) - Netflix

Kuroneko [1968]
Ils AKA Them [2006]
Splinter [2008]

The bolded are great, as is Inside, but if you were to watch two, I'd swap Torso with La frusta e il corpo AKA The Whip and the Body [1963]

Ravager61

Wtf? Shadow of the Vampire is great. Especially if you watch it immediately after Nosferatu.

I watched Shadow recently and I thought it was pretty goofy. Both Dafoe and Malkovich really ham it up. The story is an interesting idea but I don't think it's executed that well.

I watched Shadow recently and I thought it was pretty goofy. Both Dafoe and Malkovich really ham it up. The story is an interesting idea but I don't think it's executed that well.

I mean, I'd consider it a horror comedy so it makes sense that they ham it up a little. Dafoe was great. Even though it was kind of silly there is an unsettling undercurrent under all of it, as Dafoe can make you laugh one second and then be creepy as shit the next.

Wtf? Shadow of the Vampire is great. Especially if you watch it immediately after Nosferatu.

While there were good performances, for a premise I was interested in, I found it to be extremely dull. All 3 of us watching (2 of which love classic film) all lost interest pretty quickly and I'm usually into slow paced films. Really disappointing and hard to recommend imo.

Film 31 – I Saw The Devil (Amazon Instant Video UK)

Revenge is for the movies. That bastard’s a psycho.

KfKyNcS.png

This Korean film treads a thin line between horror and dark thriller. It is exceedingly violent and pretty bloody though, as well as being one of the most brutal revenge movies I’ve ever seen, so I’m definitely counting it for the month.

I’m not sure if I really liked it, or if liking this kind of movie is ever really possible. It’s very effective, and the cast are excellent, particularly Lee Byung-hun as
the grieving husband out to make his wife’s killer pay
, but it’s also a bit bloody depressing.

Verdict: Not what you’d call a feel good movie, but gripping in its own miserable, disturbing fashion. Also marks the first time I’ve seen the word ‘fuckwits’ appear in a subtitle. I genuinely laughed out loud at that, which is not something likely to happen at any other point in the movie.

Divius

Thanks for the replies guys, I will definitely save The Whip and the Body and Shadow of the Vampire on my list for next year. (along with the others I originally listed)

Divius

wJQtfFa.jpg

#26 - Excision
Excision was on my list in 2012 and 2013 but got skipped for reasons unknown. It was on my list once again this year, but this time I decided to finally watch it, and I am glad I did as this was a damn awesome watch. It's a absolutely disturbing yet endearing adolescent coming of age story with elements of Cronenberg-like body horror and a surprising amount of dark comedy while the movie does not only rely on the splatter and gore but also tells an interesting story and deals with important themes. The supporting cast was and and the performances were great across the board. The fantastic climax just brought the whole thing together. 7.5/10

Ridley327

I don't think the synopsis of I Saw the Devil is spoiler-worthy, pitcairn. I'm not even sure Sculli would object knowing that much about the film.

...maybe...

Anyway, I've been keeping up with watching films, but I've been running into some writer's block since I was on vacation this past weekend. I haven't forgotten this thread at all, but it's been a bigger struggle than I thought. Who knew that rest and relaxation would do that to a guy?

In any event, I'm trying my best to write some stuff up on what I've seen thus far, but if you want some spoilers:

Oct 24 - Road Games: tons of Hitchcockian fun from beginning to end
Oct 25 - Patrick: really pokey pacing and the female lead seemed inert enough to not be particularly compelling, but it stages some really cool scenes and Patrick himself is a rad antagonist
Oct 26 - Nightmare City: staggering in its incompetence with regards to the script and budget allocation (featuring some of the worst makeup in history), but any film that features Hugo Stiglitz throwing a TV at radioactive vampire-zombie things, which then explodes for no reason is A-OK with me, and that's not even the craziest thing that goes down in this ridiculously entertaining piece of crap
Oct 27 - Night of the Creeps: a damn fine throwback to 50s B-movies that's not too self-congratulatory and manages to balance the humor and the horror pretty well; plotting gets a bit too unwieldy at times, but the rapid-fire pacing makes sure it never bogs down as a result of it

John Dunbar

correct about everything
32. The Human Centipede: Not nearly as messed up as I expected, but I guess it was the hype that got to me. If I had gone into this not knowing what to expect, I'm sure the effect would have been greater. It's still rather interesting stuff that's more absurd than scary, and the German doctor was great.

33. The Boogey Man (1980): Definitely a lesser work in the slasher genre (although does it count as a slasher if the killer is not actually corporeal?) but the extremely low budget this was obviously made on gave some funny moments, especially the kid with the window. Music was clearly used to make the viewer think of Halloween, though I cannot understand why since there was no way this movie could end up looking good in that comparison.

34. Martyrs: At its best a very messed up movie, but it had so many ups and downs. Spoilers ahead:
It started good, and the home invasion stuff was great. Then the whole "this monster that's after you is really your own insanity" bit was disappointing, but it was followed by the torture victim in the basement that was truly fucked up and easily the most effective thing in the movie. After that the movie fizzled a bit, the end torture got repetitive and somehow actually boring since you can't help but to think that there's nothing shown that compares to what the lady who got shot in the head must have gone through. Kind of a fun ending, but they pretty much ruined it by slapping the definition on the screen. Way to go, idiots.
Overall a good movie, but not one I think I have any interest in seeing again. Not because of the content, just think it barely held together the first time.

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)
#12 V/H/S (2012) (October 12 - 13)
#13 Funny Man (1994) (October 13 - 15)
#14 Carnival of Souls (1962) (October 15)
#15 Ravenous (1999) (October 16 - 17)
#16 Horror Express (1972) (October 17 - 20)
#17 Zombies Vs. Strippers (2012) (October 21 - 24)
#18 Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! (2008) (October 24 - 25)
#19 King of the Zombies (1941) (October 25 - 26)
#20 House of the Dead / Alien Zone (1978) (October 26 - 28)

An enjoyable anthology movie noticeable for its dry humor.

- Frame story (cheating man):
somewhat predictable. The mortician is great.
- First story (teacher):
very good buildup with a rather silly ending but it's not that bad since the movie itself is quite funny.
- Second story (photographer):
nice I suppose. Not much else to say about it.
- Third story (criminologist):
the most fun one despite its predictability.
- Fourth story (misanthrope):
my favourite! Very metaphorical.

This movie is in the public domain, watch it here.
Torrent files are also available.

Heh. I think we actually did get both.

Film 28: Dead Alive (1992)
Method of Viewing: Bluray Disc

MdepfZo.jpg

I was very fortunate to find the bluray edition of this since its been long OOP. I'm going to treasure it because it will be rewatched during many more Halloween movie marathons. This film is simply insane. The baby fight alone is worth the price of admission. I highly recommend this film to anyone who hasn't seen it. Honestly it should be required viewing for next year just like Ravenous and White Zombie.

I think it being out of print on BD kind of puts a damper on making it the mandatory viewing. Is the DVD in print? I'm hoping Divius will do another Netflix pick for us next year as well since he did such a good job this year, so maybe if it's on that. Excellent movie though.

18. Scream

AKA Slasher Tropes: The Movie. I do like how it cuts to the chase with the first victim. Also, the villain isn't an unstoppable force of death. He's knocked over and can be hurt. If only the victims would fight back instead of trying to run away. Too Dumb To Live, I guess, but man, this movie is so dated, especially with the use of "cellular telephones". Did they not have Caller ID yet?

1. White Zombie
2. Shadow of the Vampire
3. The Cabin in the Woods
4. The Stuff
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
6: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
7. Day of the Dead
8. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
9. Stephen King's Children of the Corn
10. The Blair Witch Project
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
12. Ravenous
13. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
14. Rosemary's Baby
15. Fright Night
16. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
17. Let The Right One In

Movie #26: Shivers.

Shivers seems really disjointed even for a Cronenberg movie especially at the beginning. It jumps around a lot between characters without really setting up why. Once it starts to get going though, I quite liked it. I think part of my enjoyment came from watching Cronenberg seemingly start figuring things out. There are lots of ideas and themes that appear in his laters works that have their genesis here. Lots of really solid individual scenes throughout the movie but my favourite is probably the one in the basement between Doc St. Luc and the nurse. Not a perfect horror film but interesting enough to keep me hooked until the end.

Valhelm

contribute something
White Zombie was great. Far creepier than any other old horror film I'd seen. I'm watching Ravenous now and am pretty intrigued.

Are there any other good horror movies with a historical theme?

GhaleonEB

I feel like something bad is going to happen to me. I feel like something bad has happened, and I just don't know it yet. - Alice Palmer

Lake Mungo

This was a rewatch for me, having first seen it during last year's marathon. I won't put it on my annual rewatch list, but I think I see it making appearances every other year.

The set up is simple: a young girl, Alice Palmer, has tragically drowned during a family swimming trip. A short time later disturbances begin around the home of the family, and "this is a record of those events", as it goes with faux documentaries.

Lake Mungo is, first and foremost, the story of a tragedy. There is palpable feeling of sadness draped over the entire film, as we grow closer to a family deep in grieving for their daughter. Through their grief they start to learn more about Alice, and some of the secrets she kept. How she showed different facets of herself to different people, at once outgoing and closed off, constantly smiling but with deep fears bubbling behind the facade, an open book filled with secrets. I have a daughter near her age, and the complex portrait of Alice feels entirely authentic. I know my daughter, and yet I don't.

It's that authenticity that helps Lake Mungo work as effectively as it does. It's priorities are first to establish the tragedy of what happened, that blanket of deep sadness and grief, and then to be creepy as the haunting is slowly explored. This is not a scary movie per se so much as an unsettling one. The premise behind what happens to Alice - behind the quote at the top of this post - absolutely rattled me when I first saw the film and it still got me on a second watch. Just....*shudder*.

I kind of suck at reviewing things, but I've come to really love this film. It's restrained, slowly paced and without a jump scare (okay, one). But more than any horror film I've seen in the past few years, it's stuck with me. Strongly recommended for those looking for something different.

Steamlord

#41 - Kwaidan

Probably the best horror anthology I've seen so far. Each short is solid, and the cinematography and sound design are stunning. Each frame is like a painting.

Didn't like this one at all. I probably wouldn't have finished if I wasn't multitasking a bit. Some plot holes/sloppy writing and probably the most obnoxious caricature of a lesbian since Contracted made for an annoying watch.

Finally saw this one after seeing a clip from it years ago on a compilation. Felt really mediocre/average to be honest. The choice to make
the blood black until the last murder/the ending
was interesting.

Notably less entertaining than the first but still was able to finish somehow.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978) *
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981) *
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers *
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers *
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later... *
14. 28 Weeks Later *
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later *
16. May
17. Halloween (2007) *
18. White Zombie
19. Halloween II (2009) *
20. Wrong Turn *
21. Suspiria
22. The Thing (1982)
23. Sleepaway Camp *
24. Exists
25. Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter *
26. The Mad Magician 3D
27. The Blob (1988)
28. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
29. Kidnapped
30. Dream Home
31. Would You Rather
32. Wishmaster
33. Midnight Meat Train
34. Triangle
35. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) *
36. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge *
37. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors *
38. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
39. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
40. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
41. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) *
42. Leprechaun *
* = rewatch

I'm a Leprechaun connoisseur:

3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > Hood 1 > Hood 2

I've been most excited for 3 and 4 based on the synopses I've read. Hopefully I enjoy them more than 2 as well.

edit:
I feel like something bad is going to happen to me. I feel like something bad has happened, and I just don't know it yet. - Alice Palmer

Lake Mungo
Good to see someone else who enjoys this film quite a bit. The bit you mentioned was one of the biggest scares I've had from any film. None of the other people who watched with me were that effected though.

WoodWERD

26. Dead Snow (Netflix) - Nazi zombies looking for their gold. If that isn't ridiculous enough for you then give it a shot, I thought the last act was pretty fun.

27. Bad Milo! (Netflix) - /goes to look for a 'How did this get made?' podcast for this one.

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow
14. Re-Animator
15. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
16. Phantoms
17. Monkey Shines
18. Dark Skies
19. Ravenous (rewatch)
20. Mine Games
21. Would You Rather
22. Darkness Falls
23. The Horde
24. Dead Silence
25. Dead End
26. Dead Snow
27. Bad Milo!

Alright, I feel like I'm just rambling on incoherently with my reviews so I'm going to make a conscious effort to be more concise from now on...

RLUfCRZ.jpg

24) American Mary (2012) (Oct 27)

Body Horror Week - Day 6

I haven't seen Ginger Snaps so other than seeing her in smaller roles (most notably Freddy vs. Jason and Hannibal), I've missed out on the Katharine Isabelle hype train. Thankfully along came American Mary.

Katharine Isabelle was great in the lead role. If I wasn't a fan before, I definitely am now. Also impressive was Tristan Risk, whom I had never heard of until she was cast in Astron-6's The Editor (which I'm dying to to see). Her portrayal as Beatress, a Betty Boop-like personality with maybe just a few too many trips to her plastic surgeon is fantastic and quite possibly the most freaky thing I've seen all month. Quite a feat after the Tetsuo trilogy.

I do have a few small complaints though.
I would have preferred if rape wasn't used as such a major plot device and Mary had been solely seduced by greed and the darkness instead. Considering this was directed by twin sisters, I would have hoped they didn't go for such a typical method getting their female character into a path of revenge. Honestly, I feel like you could remove the whole rape/revenge plot and still have the same movie. The revenge doesn't really play into her downfall at all. I also felt the ending was too abrupt and left some plotlines dangling and a little undercooked for my taste.

Despite those flaws though, I thought it was a fantastic film with standout performances from Katharine Isabelle and especially Tristan Risk. I'm very excited to see what the Twisted Twins do in the future.

Highly Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)
17) Slugs: The Movie (Slugs, muerte viscosa) (1988) (Oct 18)
18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)
19) Shivers (aka They Came from Within) (1975) (Oct 19)
20) Videodrome (1983) (Oct 21)
24) American Mary (2012) (Oct 27)

You should totally see Ginger Snaps, Thirsty, especially if you ever grew up with sisters.

I have an older sister. It just always seemed to me like a movie that really needed to be watched during that awkward highschool time and if you missed that, it would lose a lot of its impact.

Do you think it would still hold up for an adult viewer today?

Top Bottom